Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

1343537394057

Posts

  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    You mean the hard drives or the big ass spaceship?

    Hard drive. OCZ has a new one. Four Sandforce controllers. Special interface that connects to a PCI-E card. 2GBps bandwidth that you'd be hard pressed to saturate.

    And you'll have to buy a new one every 2-3 years if you are using it frequently.

    RiemannLives on
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    people seem to have a tendency to ascribe to genetics way way too much

    That's just your genes talking.

    Edit: Sarksuuuuuuuus!

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    Well when you group people as black white red or yellow then yes i would agree, but race and genetics do get involved. Jewish people are more likely to have TSACS, sickel cell is most common in people of african heritage etc.

    Unless I just missunderstood your post.

    Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

    In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

    Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it's also tasty

    and puerto ricans eat a shit-ton of chicken. pollo y arroz is their national dish

    It always amuses me when people here talk about 'Dominican food." Because it is always, ALWAYS inevitably chicken and rice.

    Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • GimGim a quietly erotic life Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How is that AV club link legal?

    They have some sort of deal with Showtime, I'd reckon.

    Gim on
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Will - it's been nearly a decade now since I was really into this stuff but when I was in college the fansubs for anime were generally better written english and more accurate in their translations (by far) than the stuff that was eventually churned out by american distributors.

    I think that quality has gone up, now that it's a lot more mainstream than back then.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    Well when you group people as black white red or yellow then yes i would agree, but race and genetics do get involved. Jewish people are more likely to have TSACS, sickel cell is most common in people of african heritage etc.

    Unless I just missunderstood your post.

    Well, you say "African heritage" and he says "black" and some people don't know there's a difference.

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will - it's been nearly a decade now since I was really into this stuff but when I was in college the fansubs for anime were generally better written english and more accurate in their translations (by far) than the stuff that was eventually churned out by american distributors.

    This is less the case now, but still often enough true

    edit: assuming of course the show received any sort of international distribution in the first place.

    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    What the hell is samoan cooking? I mean samoans are huge, what the fuck do they eat?

    Pigs. Lots of pigs.

    That's all I could think of, so its just pork?

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Fox news is the most retarded thing.

    Fox News isn't as bad as conservapedia. Therefore, they cannot be the 'most' retarded.

    Is there really a difference, outside of format?

    Yes, Fox News benefits from the sanity John Stossel <3 brings to the network.

    emnmnme on
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    And you'll have to buy a new one every 2-3 years if you are using it frequently.

    Yeah, I really want a SSD as a system drive, but not until they've fixed the degrading.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    What the hell is samoan cooking? I mean samoans are huge, what the fuck do they eat?

    Pigs. Lots of pigs.

    That's all I could think of, so its just pork?

    Pork and bananas, I think covers most of it.

    So lots of fat and sugar.

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • SarksusSarksus JUST PRINTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    You mean the hard drives or the big ass spaceship?

    Hard drive. OCZ has a new one. Four Sandforce controllers. Special interface that connects to a PCI-E card. 2GBps bandwidth that you'd be hard pressed to saturate.

    And you'll have to buy a new one every 2-3 years if you are using it frequently.

    Longevity issues aren't an issue as they once were.

    Sarksus on
  • GimGim a quietly erotic life Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Oh you're good Gim.

    *narrows eyes*

    Too good.

    In the event of my death, I leave all of my posts to one of those regulars who seem post all the time but still don't a post count above 15k. One of those sick freaks.

    :(... :x

    What? It's a beautiful act of charity.

    Gim on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    people seem to have a tendency to ascribe to genetics way way too much

    I use that quote all the time

    Arch on
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    I wanna love them, but they still cost $Texas and I'm waiting for when they'll work forever.

    I want deity drives, Sark.

    I thought the life on SSDs has gotten to the point that they are fine now? Last time i read up on them i thought they were rated for like 2,000,000 hours.

    Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

    In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

    Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Well, you say "African heritage" and he says "black" and some people don't know there's a difference.

    Who was it again that got offended at someone calling Kofi Annan "black" instead of "African-American"? :P

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't think SSD drives suffered the same degrading that standard flash memory did...

    amateurhour on

    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    Well when you group people as black white red or yellow then yes i would agree, but race and genetics do get involved. Jewish people are more likely to have TSACS, sickel cell is most common in people of african heritage etc.

    Unless I just missunderstood your post.

    Right but those are very specific things that involve a single mutation spreading throughout the population of an area. As opposed to something more complicated and stupid like "black people are inherently stupider" or "jews are innately greedy" or what have you.

    Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Well, you say "African heritage" and he says "black" and some people don't know there's a difference.

    Who was it again that got offended at someone calling Kofi Annan "black" instead of "African-American"? :P

    I haven't heard of that, but that's awesome.

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    You mean the hard drives or the big ass spaceship?

    Hard drive. OCZ has a new one. Four Sandforce controllers. Special interface that connects to a PCI-E card. 2GBps bandwidth that you'd be hard pressed to saturate.

    And you'll have to buy a new one every 2-3 years if you are using it frequently.

    Longevity issues aren't an issue as they once were.

    Yes, they very much are. Intel is way ahead of everyone else on their controller tech and even their drives don't last all that long compared to platters. And cost about 800 bucks for a good one.

    RiemannLives on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    why are you convinced, then, prima faccae, that there is no genetic component to any racial/ gender differences or tendencies outside of the obvious first-order ones?

    I have never said this, and in fact I have said the exact opposite several times, so I'm politely asking that you actually argue against me rather than some windmill upon which you've scotch-taped on a copy of my avatar and a nametag that says "Feral."

    so you believe that it is possibile that there are distinct genetically-based behavioral or cognitive differences between different races of people or different genders of people?

    because the example of "racism" you gave was drawing a possible causal vector between low IQ scores of blacks and a genetic tendency to perform poorly on IQ tests.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've seen a few people on FOX News being surprisingly reasonable lately. I mean there's always Shep Smith, but I caught a bit of O'Reilly the other week and some lady was spewing vicious, made-up nonsense, and he was all being the voice of reason and stuff. Weird.

    Of course for every reasonable person, there are probably three nutcases.

    OremLK on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    Well when you group people as black white red or yellow then yes i would agree, but race and genetics do get involved. Jewish people are more likely to have TSACS, sickel cell is most common in people of african heritage etc.

    Unless I just missunderstood your post.

    The basic issue with regards to most political discussions is that this doesn't mean you can imply either that any given black person has sickle-cell or that any given sickle-cell sufferer is black. So where genetic differences are cited, they're given more real-world weight they deserve. Again, this is an issue of a factually true statement ("there are genetic differences between X group and Y group") being given emphasis that it does not deserve in a context where it has minimal relevance.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    Well when you group people as black white red or yellow then yes i would agree, but race and genetics do get involved. Jewish people are more likely to have TSACS, sickel cell is most common in people of african heritage etc.

    Unless I just missunderstood your post.

    Right but those are very specific things that involve a single mutation spreading throughout the population of an area. As opposed to something more complicated and stupid like "black people are inherently stupider" or "jews are innately greedy" or what have you.

    Yeah, except it would be untrue stuff...

    Chanus on
    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    39 posts away from 30 thousand babyyyy

    MikeMan on
    HOW DO YOU FUCK UP BAGELS. YOU BOIL THE WATER. PUT IN THE NOODLES
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    I wanna love them, but they still cost $Texas and I'm waiting for when they'll work forever.

    I want deity drives, Sark.

    I thought the life on SSDs has gotten to the point that they are fine now? Last time i read up on them i thought they were rated for like 2,000,000 hours.

    The real metric is how many times a given bit can be written. Not hours of operation.

    RiemannLives on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gim wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Oh you're good Gim.

    *narrows eyes*

    Too good.

    In the event of my death, I leave all of my posts to one of those regulars who seem post all the time but still don't a post count above 15k. One of those sick freaks.

    :(... :x

    What? It's a beautiful act of charity.

    Right to put them over 100k and get them autoignored, some charity gim. They are being conservative!

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I saw the first ever AK-47 on Sunday. It was surprisingly cool to see it and now you can too -
    5036372411_e397a6a530.jpg

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    people seem to have a tendency to ascribe to genetics way way too much

    I use that quote all the time

    ... you quoted me from the future often in the past :?

    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • GimGim a quietly erotic life Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You guys are lame. This SSD is the coolest thing you will ever know about.

    I wanna love them, but they still cost $Texas and I'm waiting for when they'll work forever.

    I want deity drives, Sark.

    I thought the life on SSDs has gotten to the point that they are fine now? Last time i read up on them i thought they were rated for like 2,000,000 hours.

    If that's the case, I'm still waiting for them to drop down to $Pennsylvania.

    Gim on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Compared to his comrades, O'Reilly actually seems pretty reasonable. I mean, it's relative. I rarely agree with him, but when you put him up next to Palin, sometimes I actually feel sorry for him.

    Silas Brown on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Samoans also eat lots of macadamia and pistachios.

    So pretty much tons of plant and animal fat

    Ludious on
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    Well when you group people as black white red or yellow then yes i would agree, but race and genetics do get involved. Jewish people are more likely to have TSACS, sickel cell is most common in people of african heritage etc.

    Unless I just missunderstood your post.

    Right but those are very specific things that involve a single mutation spreading throughout the population of an area. As opposed to something more complicated and stupid like "black people are inherently stupider" or "jews are innately greedy" or what have you.

    oh well yeah then i agree entirely, except about those sneaky jews, thats a recessive trait passed down from Moses

    Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

    In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

    Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Also fun fact: There is less of a genetic difference between your average black person and white person than between the entire genetic diaspora that is commonly called "black."

    In short race is a construct and should not be used as a concept in anything involving genetics.

    people seem to have a tendency to ascribe to genetics way way too much

    I use that quote all the time

    ... you quoted me from the future often in the past :?

    I mean Psycho Internet Hawk's, and I really should have specified that I use my own variant of it and stop being so pedantic dangit

    :P

    Arch on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Seriously though the fact that in order to watch Dexter I have to order a premium cable package is fucktarded.

    There is an internet.

    I can pay you for the shows I want to watch and you can give them to me through that.

    Enjoy.

    "The following program has been edited from its original form. To see the full unedited episode, order Showtime now"

    I mean I appreciate the gesture and everything. But I also don't know how legit this is, and I'm doubting they will legally stream every episode after it airs.

    What I'm saying is I want to pay Showtime moneys for this show just like the fuckload of other shows you can buy off iTunes (yes I would even resort to using iTunes).

    Really I just want a Steam-like for music and video. So when I purchase something it's linked to my god damned account.

    I'd buy so much music from iTunes if they didn't laugh and tell me to rebuy it if my HD crashes. Instead I only buy things off it that I can't find in a store.

    HappylilElf on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So..Amazon, then Elf?

    Ludious on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    so you believe that it is possibile that there are distinct genetically-based behavioral or cognitive differences between different races of people or different genders of people?

    because the example of "racism" you gave was drawing a possible causal vector between low IQ scores of blacks and a genetic tendency to perform poorly on IQ tests.

    Even if solid evidence of this hypothetical genetic etiology were found, it would have so little relevance on most common political or ethical discussions that emphasizing that evidence would itself be a racist or sexist position. Just because I think that an idea is being given too much weight doesn't mean I think the idea is factually untrue. However, in this case, there is no solid evidence of genetic etiology of cognitive differences between men and women or between black and white people.

    The fact that we're having this discussion (that you're more interested in the truth value of the statement "there are genetic differences between X and Y groups" rather than the relevancy or context) pretty much demonstrates my point perfectly.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So pork and nuts? I just don't ever recall "samoan" places opening up and serving really good but really bad for you food.

    Come on you pacific islanders serve me your horrible food that may or may not be based on cannabalism of my ancestors!

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Compared to his comrades, O'Reilly actually seems pretty reasonable. I mean, it's relative. I rarely agree with him, but when you put him up next to Palin, sometimes I actually feel sorry for him.

    Yeah, he seems to try to think things through at least. He might have been cool when he was young. It seems like the older people get the more challenging it becomes to remain open-minded.

    OremLK on
This discussion has been closed.