As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

We've been beaten to the punch.

It hurts my heart just to look at that page.

They just serve burgers and women in nurse oufits that don't fit (with mirrored floors). We wouldn't bother with that bullshit. It'd just be a pit with ridiculous food.

We'd serve everything in troughs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Eorramatur
    Ripoff.

Oh wow, that liver sausage picture. Abu Ghraib wasn't as bad in comparison.

Alternately, I am highly amused by the idea of wind-dried fish.

Gim on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm really nervous about my doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Best case scenario: I walk out with some pills that will solve my problems.
    Worst case: I'm instituted.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    I basically agree, but was trying to build on my previous arguments as to why merely asking the question could indeed be racist, because any question of genetic difference between the "races" becomes really loaded due to the weird ways in which the races are defined.

But also wanted to point out that there needs to be a little more critical examination of saying things like "why do asian people have epicanthal folds."

the reason that asking the question is considered racist is because there's an implicit assumption of bad faith on the asker.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3Oda2j1lU&feature=related

I think I'm gonna see this movie tomorrow. It looks good.

Crazy to think it's been six years since the robbery already.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone ever heard the term.

"Fuck with the bull and you get the horns."?

I rememember using this once and having some dill hole correct me "And its you get gored." and I'm kind of struck how he think because there is another way of saying it, it makes what I said wrong. I keep asking his head this question but alas it stopped answering long ago.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Why would you be instituted? You appear to be capable of making gains outside of an institution.

Sarksus on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

do they still do that in canada?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I have been previously interested in being institutionalized. This is probably mostly because of multiple movies where hijinks ensued and the characters learned something important about themselves. Since my only motivation is from movies I have not pursued this urge.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited September 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

I have been previously interested in being institutionalized. This is probably mostly because of multiple movies where hijinks ensued and the characters learned something important about themselves. Since my only motivation is from movies I have not pursued this urge.

Having been in an institution a couple times, its not as awful as they make it seem in the movies, but you don't get enlightenment. Just creepy people more crazy then you until you are sane enough for them to release you.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I rememember using this once and having some dill hole correct me "And its you get gored." and I'm kind of struck how he think because there is another way of saying it, it makes what I said wrong. I keep asking his head this question but alas it stopped answering long ago.

If anyone is wrong there it's him.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Why would you be instituted? You appear to be capable of making gains outside of an institution.

I've been having thoughts of death (sitting on the stop and calculating how many steps it would take for me to reach the edge of the platform, falling onto train tracks, and getting hit by an oncoming train and having panic attacks at the TTC stations is a big example)

If my doctor interprets these as suicidal thoughts he can claim that I'm a danger to myself and I will be put under observation in the mental ward of a hospital.

Especially because I was instituted for three weeks about three years ago.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I basically agree, but was trying to build on my previous arguments as to why merely asking the question could indeed be racist, because any question of genetic difference between the "races" becomes really loaded due to the weird ways in which the races are defined.

But also wanted to point out that there needs to be a little more critical examination of saying things like "why do asian people have epicanthal folds."

the reason that asking the question is considered racist is because there's an implicit assumption of bad faith on the asker.

Yes, and this is perfectly all right. EG: Go look up that thread by The Scribe.

It is good sense to assume bad faith on the part of some speakers based on past experience with them.

And that is definetly applicable in your case Will.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010

right, that's why i've always been kind of put off by that question- or related ones- being asked among friends. if you meet some asshole with his own bottle of grey goose at a kegger, and he goes 'bros, bros, i'm not racist but, did you ever think about the geneti-'... that's one thing. inferences can and probably should be made. but bad faith is assumed in pretty much any conversation with anyone ever on the interbutts, when the topic is sensitive. it's always thrown me off.

Organichu on
    edited September 2010

Having been in an institution a couple times, its not as awful as they make it seem in the movies, but you don't get enlightenment. Just creepy people more crazy then you until you are sane enough for them to release you.

That would be the other draw though. Getting to observe and be around crazy people without actually having the responsibility of having to give them care or keep them safe and whatnot. Also feeling less weird by comparison.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited September 2010

That's what I thought, but at the time I was just struck aback that someone would correct a silly turn of phrase. Like I mean if I said "Make like a tree and his dick was stuck in the chicken" ok thats a combo that doesn't work, but bulls have horns, and if you fucked with one, you would get intimate with said horns.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Everyone here just needs to smoke a huge bowl.

Marijuana is a gateway drug.

So's your mother

The only thing marijuana seems to be a gateway drug for is failure.

no more than alky

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010
    yeah but even then they benefit from having that answer challenged

I don't care to hear from a creationist what they think about evolution. Sometimes one group is just wrong and the other is just right and repeating that correct information is not an echo chamber.

I am not referring to this specific situation and framing you as a creationist and the others as people who accept evolution, either.

yeah but

1) i don't regard creationism as a reasonable enough position to even bother with respecting their right to hold that position and

2) i don't bump into a lot of groups of people smugly backslapping each other and making fun of creationists

i guess i probably wouldn't really care to hang out in a pro-evolution monoculture where the topic of the day was always "those stupid creationists" followed by a :^:

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    in horror movies i've always found crazy people scarier than ghosts- like, the people who laugh hysterically or silently rock and smile at the camera or w/e

Organichu on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I have this friend... Every single time he gets a new game he bitches about something with the mouse that I never even noticed.

-Mouselag
    -Mouse acceleration
    -Reverse mouse acceleration
    -Mouse "feels muddy"
    -etc, etc, etc.

I don't think he's ever played a single game and not complained about the mouse controls.

yet he refuses to play any game where he has to use a thumbstick to look, because it's not a mouse.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited September 2010

I've been having thoughts of death (sitting on the stop and calculating how many steps it would take for me to reach the edge of the platform, falling onto train tracks, and getting hit by an oncoming train and having panic attacks at the TTC stations is a big example)

If my doctor interprets these as suicidal thoughts he can claim that I'm a danger to myself and I will be put under observation in the mental ward of a hospital.

man everybody thinks about death don't they

anyway if you're institutionalized send out "batman/liara" in morse code and I'll launch the rescue op

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The best part of saying that is you get to do the hand gesture. The other guy's version robs you of that vital action.

Gim on
    edited September 2010

That would be the other draw though. Getting to observe and be around crazy people without actually having the responsibility of having to give them care or keep them safe and whatnot. Also feeling less weird by comparison.

Incredibly depressing actually, sometimes you meet people who used to function until their event, and you can see in their eyes they know they are broken in a way that will not be fixed. Part of the reason they let not as serious cases see these people, kind of a scared sane style of doctoring. Don't know how effective it is, because both times I visited someone in the mental ward they were too far gone to consider how sad their life currently was.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

It is good sense to assume bad faith on the part of some speakers based on past experience with them.

why is the assumption of bad faith applicable in my case?

or are you just being an asshole?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

The best part of saying that is you get to do the hand gesture. The other guy's version robs you of that vital action.

I feel vindicated.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh joy, Ayan Hirsi Ali is doing her World Affairs Council thing in Seattle today. :?

Dammit, I have to go to the library so I'll have to walk past the stupid protesters. Hopefully they'll be gone by tonights' panel.

Passerbye on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Because you've made it very clear you are not asking these questions because you want to know the answers but to rile up people who, entirely in your mind, are too much of an "echo chamber" (and, btw, using that phrase puts you in very good company indeed with a long line of now-banned D&D crackpots).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited September 2010
    cass if you don't remember your morse code just tattoo this into your arm with a pen:

-... .- - -- .- -. -..-. .-.. .. .- .-. .-

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010

I don't think I've seen you be racist so I assume he means you're being contrarian. Which you sort of admitted so I don't know if that counts as bad faith.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

man everybody thinks about death don't they

anyway if you're institutionalized send out "batman/liara" in morse code and I'll launch the rescue op

Yeah I don't know. I may think about death as much as you Cass, without going into specifics, but I don't think I ought to be institutionalized. Your anxiety is probably at fault here, making you think the appointment will go badly.

Sarksus on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You're right, he's wrong.

Thomamelas on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Incredibly depressing actually, sometimes you meet people who used to function until their event, and you can see in their eyes they know they are broken in a way that will not be fixed. Part of the reason they let not as serious cases see these people, kind of a scared sane style of doctoring. Don't know how effective it is, because both times I visited someone in the mental ward they were too far gone to consider how sad their life currently was.

Yeah, my couple of weeks spent in a mental hospital was helpful in a few ways.

One of those ways is that the docs there actually helped me quite a bit with getting my head on straight. Another way it helps is being removed from any hostile environment that might be causing or contributing to the problem.

And a third way it helped is that I spent two weeks going "Holy shit I don't belong here. I feel bad for these people, but holy shit I'm not this bad."

I was actually the only one who wasn't there for attempting suicide.

Nocturne on
    edited September 2010
    I won't commit suicide because I know it'll upset people I care about but that's really the only reason to bother staying alive

okay that sounds crazy but man, think about it

being dead doesn't bother anyone

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dammit! I did Winter Contingency on Heroic for the daily (much easier to deal with Elites when you have the proper tool of a plasma pistol) and I would have had Flawless Cowboy too if it wasn't for a fluke sniper shot as I ran back into cover.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

You're right, he's wrong.

I'm betting this guy just heard it wrong when he heard it. It's not the most popular saying ever, but I don't think there's multiple versions of it either.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I won't commit suicide because I know it'll upset people I care about but that's really the only reason to bother staying alive

Also: Suicide is for pussies.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Oh joy, Ayan Hirsi Ali is doing her World Affairs Council thing in Seattle today. :?

Dammit, I have to go to the library so I'll have to walk past the stupid protesters. Hopefully they'll be gone by tonights' panel.

What type of protestesters does she attract in the US?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited September 2010
    edit: stupid double post.

Raiden333 on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »

What type of protestesters does she attract in the US?

Having not seen them yet, I don't know. I just know that 75% of protesters are stupid, it seems to be some kind of Universal Law.

Passerbye on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    To think that at this time yesterday Tube was joking about me losing my infraction cherry

Now I am practically turning tricks on infraction lane.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2010

That's pretty much the point I'm at. Like, dying would suck because it would hurt the people that love me, but for the past year or so life has been nothing but working my ass off to keep my head above water and spending my free time... well, just wasting my free time. And it doesn't seem like it'll change anytime soon.

Raiden333 on
This discussion has been closed.