Options

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Now includes ships, robots and old people

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Most of the Prince's heals work on hard numbers. Lemme check...

Only Negotiation and Protect Order are variable, so only those two get the boost from Form Qi.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Also most battles are more like battles of attrition then 'kill them quickly before they kill you'.

At any rate: Holy cow level 21 in B7F? Most of my dudes are still in the single digits going into the 2nd Stratum.

Dang, really? My Hoplite / Prince are both lvl 20 and I haven't yet finished B6F, but of course they have yet to leave my party. EVER. All of the characters that I setup with the reserves-but-still-earn-exp ability are level 12 right now. They're almost at the point where I want to start taking them in and messing with their abilities a bit too, but for now most of my farming characters come from that pool.

Koldanar on
    3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drascin, how many points do you have in Wild Mastery and Call Insect? It varies based on the monsters resistance it seems, but once you start getting a pretty decent amount of points in either I find that the land rate is pretty high.

I was mostly focusing in Mastery for now, since it said it was the one that gave Status Accuracy Increase. Got it at level 7 now.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jesuits wrote: »
    To be fair, the Prince's heals don't quite cut it in FOE fights.

For me so far, 1 point Negotiations seems to be healing 60 or so points for me, which combined with the passive heals has helped me out so far. Without that, I wouldn't have been able to finish the sea quest where you
    fight the massive hammerhead shark.

Koldanar on
    3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Koldanar wrote: »
    Also most battles are more like battles of attrition then 'kill them quickly before they kill you'.

At any rate: Holy cow level 21 in B7F? Most of my dudes are still in the single digits going into the 2nd Stratum.

Dang, really? My Hoplite / Prince are both lvl 20 and I haven't yet finished B6F, but of course they have yet to leave my party. EVER. All of the characters that I setup with the reserves-but-still-earn-exp ability are level 12 right now. They're almost at the point where I want to start taking them in and messing with their abilities a bit too, but for now most of my farming characters come from that pool.

I don't bother with Combat Study. Those Skill Points could be used for more important things - like skills that allow you to murder everything in the Labyrinth.
    I was mostly focusing in Mastery for now, since it said it was the one that gave Status Accuracy Increase. Got it at level 7 now.

At level 10 it provides a 15% increase to success rate. It's important to note that this is the only time in the game when it rolls the success rate after the enemy's innate resistance is calculated, so with maxed out Wild Mastery the Wildling is the best bet for landing Status Ailments on most of the bosses.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Coupled with the fact that from Third Stratum on turns that end with the Prince at full HP are a rarity.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so being blindsided by a Largebill and a Titan Arum hurts. Managed to get away with one survivor, the Hoplite. Between replacing the thread and revovong everyone, this is going to be a huge hit to my wallet... damn, getting money in this game is hard.

@Pure: Good to hear I'm not wasting points. Though I think that I'm going to stop raising mastery for a couple levels and raise insect, to get the Elephant :P.

Drascin on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drascin: Make sure you gather info in the bar for every new floor you get to. You get a lot of useful information. For now, regarding avoiding those fucking Largebills (spoilered below).
    Explore B2F at night, they don't show up

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't touched this game in like 30 hours.

Henroid on
  • Options
    igomadnessigomadness Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Boat-related questions:
    So, I've managed to get the dried peas, upgrade to the cheese thing, and even found the raisins. But I'm not sure how to get the 'lighthouse quest'

The only thing related to the Lighthouse is that if i sail over near it, some big bird destroys my boat. When I check in town there are no sea quests listed, and I have no idea how to progress from here.

By the way, My party currently on the 4th floor if that matters.

igomadness on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    igomadness wrote: »
    Boat-related questions:
    So, I've managed to get the dried peas, upgrade to the cheese thing, and even found the raisins. But I'm not sure how to get the 'lighthouse quest'

The only thing related to the Lighthouse is that if i sail over near it, some big bird destroys my boat. When I check in town there are no sea quests listed, and I have no idea how to progress from here.

You have to sneak up on the lighthouse from behind. One of the currents behind the lighthouse will put you right next to it.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Drascin: Make sure you gather info in the bar for every new floor you get to. You get a lot of useful information. For now, regarding avoiding those fucking Largebills (spoilered below).
    Explore B2F at night, they don't show up

I know. It's just I spent too long in the floor, dawn came, and bam, first fight after dawn is rape train D:.

Drascin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, if you approach it from the front and get destroyed, the obvious solution is...

a) Run away crying
    b) Curse the heavens for your cruel fate
    c) Spend several years building a big enough ballista to shoot it down
    d) Go by the back instead

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, if you approach it from the front and get destroyed, the obvious solution is...

a) Run away crying

Oh oh this is what I did.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You know what I should probably add a mini seafaring guide in the 2nd post.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    relasinerelasine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just started over with a Gladiator, Monk, and Hoplite in the front row and an Arbalest and Prince in back, and it's been much easier to do the early grind stuff. I highly suggest trying that combo out. The free heals from the Prince make things much faster than having to bail and go to town every ten minutes, and the Monk keeps him at 100% health.

relasine on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate having a prince in the back row

They've got great HP and great armor and solid weapon choices for a front row slot

Putting all of that in the back for some passive HP regen doesn't sit right with me.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Speaking of seafaring, just finished mapping the last city.

I must admit, I'm impressed with how enjoyable the sea exploration side of the game has been.

Coercionist on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On the other hand, subclassing a back-row character for some passive HP regen is a fine idea.

In other news, the special drop from Narmer...
    makes a spectacular club, and he's easy to take down with a decently high level arballist (mine was about 35 when I tried it; you need at least one multi-attack skill).

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I hate having a prince in the back row

They've got great HP and great armor and solid weapon choices for a front row slot

Putting all of that in the back for some passive HP regen doesn't sit right with me.

If you're going to have a Prince main, he should always be in the front, since that's where most of your Orders will be going. Only real way to make the TP gain skills worth it.

Ninja/Prince in the back is epic in its own way for full damage and Orders that cost at max 7 TP.

Coercionist on
  • Options
    RyusenRyusen Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I think Jesus is in this game! cause apperantly mah Boat got wreck by some old guy in the ocean!

Also I Have a group named after characters from the anime/manga that has the (im)famous quote "That's a nice boat"

Also I want to make a Travel Log too but my Main party has some of the Alternative colors...
    Anyway My Guild is Shouryuu, Founders are Izanagi(Ninja) and Izanami(Ninja). Ship is called Hiryu. Guild consist of 2 males and rest are females (Harem~?)

Ryusen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So I stopped a bit to get a couple Farmers to cut some stuff for my poor wallet. Since Resting below level 6 doesn't reduce your level, I basically raised the Extra EXP skill of all three of them to get them to 5 quickly, and then rested them for painless Harvestry (well, one for the "no encounters" skill, because these guys are useless in a fight). I'll now proceed to spam the cut point near the entrance in BF1 until I have a little cushion of money :P.

Drascin on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mild early game sea spoiler
    I'm level 7 or 8 and barely halfway through the 2nd floor. Managed to finish off all 3 lighthouse sea quests (princess keeping everyone healthy and zodiac nuking the hell out of the bird makes it easy, not to mention the NPCs you get are pretty good), and loving the equipment I got. Mildly annoyed I had to clear one of them twice though (getting the triple attack script seems to cancel out the reward you'd get normally).

I was grinding the second one with a Wilding, summoning a snake to try and bind it and get the conditional drop. Not part of my main party, so only one point in the skill, and I killed like, twelve of them (and got about the same number of game overs) before it finally propped. I was ready to kill Pollux every time he healed the damn snake instead of characters who actually do damage. I can summon another one! I can summon three a battle if I have to! Ignore it!

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    igomadness wrote: »
    Boat-related questions:

The trick is to use the currents. They only count as one move, but will take you four or five spaces. This is good general advice for boating; you can get a lot farther than you normally would. Unless they lead you into a whirlpool.

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Coupled with the fact that from Third Stratum on turns that end with the Prince at full HP are a rarity.

Not if you go sub monk and put a tenner in Ascetic deeds.

Oh look, huge passive heal every turn just for doing a skill....

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Catching up on sea stuff: Damavand's boss is really fun, and employs a pretty unique dynamic compared to normal. Longest fight I've had in EO3 so far, too.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    God fucking damn it leveling is a pain in the ass in this game.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    God fucking damn it leveling is a pain in the ass in this game.

Err... How so? It's about as straightforward as you can get.

Also, going back to what I said about the FOE's on B7F earlier, apparently those one's are just wimps. Went back and fought one on B5F and it was a much more dangerous battle.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm so excited to share something with you guys. I can't believe it!

FUCK THIS GAME. D:

... still playing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hey guess what guys? Sea quests have diminishing returns on exp gain!

Henroid on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    sure it wasn't with farmer then without farmer?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't have a farmer in my team. The experience meter for a single person going in isn't ticking the proper amount of experience dropped.

(bold added for people who might miss that detail)

Henroid on
  • Options
    Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ugh, the ghost ship is destroying me. Tried it with my level 17 hoplite/prince and it did 1 aoe that one-shotted the whole party(including the level 30 npcs).

Kin33 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I beat it on my first go by using fire resist rings.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, since you have a Prince, you can just remove the fire resist debuff it puts on your team with Inspire.

Coercionist on
  • Options
    Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't have fire resist rings or inspire. I guess I'll wait a bit.

My prince and hoplite are so high level because I used them to get the rewards for every sea quest up to tortuga and unlock all the items in the first stratum. I'm a bit OCD.

edit: The rest of my squad is level 8-11.

Kin33 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I forget when fire resist rings get unlocked.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't read this thread 'cause I still haven't finished 2, but I got the game in the mail with the art book and oh gosh the art book is a delight.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Careful, it's got spoilers.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I found that out!
    I glossed over the images at the end and I've forgotten all except for the hidden classes. WHOOPS!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470