Options

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Now includes ships, robots and old people

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    Ordered Etrian Odyssey 1.

Is there a story that connects all the three games or are they completly seperate titles?

EO1 and EO2 are vaguely connected (5th Stratum of EO2 makes a lot more sense when you complete EO1).

However, if you're playing the games for the story you're probably going to be disappointed.

Nope, nope I heard they were games similiar to First Person dungeon crawlers. And after Strange Journey I want me some more.

C2B on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Nope, nope I heard they were games similiar to First Person dungeon crawlers. And after Strange Journey I want me some more.

You will not be disapointed. The Wizardry is strong in this one.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, I think I'm about to get to Narmer, and I'm really not very confident in my chances. Mostly because I'm really lacking in the survivability department, what with depending on the Prince for heals. But might as well try and see if I do better with this one than I did with Chimera the first time I fought it :P. What's Narmer weak to? Got a couple points left, might as well put them in an appropiate elemental ability.

Also, what skills do people raise with their Princes? After a point in Monarchic March, I'm not sure whether to keep leveling up the heals, or go for the Orders trees - some attack boost would be nice, but the stuff out of the Defense Order tree seems more useful on the whole...

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Uh, what do I equip Zodiacs with? Books?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, I think I'm about to get to Narmer, and I'm really not very confident in my chances. Mostly because I'm really lacking in the survivability department, what with depending on the Prince for heals.
    I beat Narmer comfortably at level 13, with a Gladiator, Buccaneer, Royal; Ninja, Zodiac party. Survivability isn't important at this stage of the game, nor is on-demand healing.
    Drascin wrote: »
    Also, what skills do people raise with their Princes? After a point in Monarchic March, I'm not sure whether to keep leveling up the heals, or go for the Orders trees - some attack boost would be nice, but the stuff out of the Defense Order tree seems more useful on the whole...
    You should give your Royal some orders, so that they can do something with their TP.

Guard Order is obsolete if you have a Hoplite, very useful against FOEs if not. Prevent Order is a one-point wonder that trivialises a lot of otherwise difficult encounters. Rally Order isn't as good as it sounds; it's far preferable to minimise damage through Guard Order or Line Guard, rather than increase your maximum health. Protect Order is underwhelming due to the Royal's poor TEC and lack of Form Qi's TEC healing bonus.

Attack Order is great at higher levels if you have a row heavy on physical damage.

Reinforce can be used to ensure your party gets some healing even if your Royal is damaged, and can be used to bring your Royal back to full health for Royal Veil. This gets more useful as you get more orders.

Royal Lineage is a very good early game skill, when TP is a more valuable resource. You will be primarily casting enhancements on the front line, which your Royal should be on. It's effectively a cost reduction to orders, and can be used in conjunction with Elemental Arms - or a levelled-up Prevent Order - for free TP refills.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »

Sub class them into Zodiacs and go bows. It's remarkably decent damage if you forge an element onto them.

Before then, a book with a free slot to forge something to hit weaknesses with.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »

Attack Order is great at higher levels if you have a row heavy on physical damage.

I've noticed with one point in Attack Orders that it significantly improves my Zodiac's pure magic spells.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, Attack and Guard orders affect both physical and magical damage.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also I will personally come over to your house and punch you if you have a princess or even the princess sub class on a monk and don't put the points in for Ad Nihilo.

130% base damage and removes all beneficial spells on one target? YES PLEASE!

One point is more than enough for most builds.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, Attack and Guard orders affect both physical and magical damage.
    I did not know that. Thanks.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, Narmer down, with a level 11 team. Took a long-ass while, though - the bastard had like a million HP, and all three times my Venomfly managed to land its poison it submerged without the poison doing damage :x. Had to spend an Amrita, a Tent, several Medicas, and a Nectar, which I'm not too happy with (Amritas do not grow on trees).

Still, second stratum, woooo! And I managed to use the Formaldehyde right and get its conditional drop, too, which does help my poor, hurting wallet.

Anyway, as for the Prince thing: Yeah, I do have an Hoplite, but if Prevent Order is a one-point-must-have as you say, didn't go completely wrong with starting to raise it before. I'll see about looking at Ad Nihilo as well - five levels in each order, ouch. Ah well, not like I was doing much else with my points.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Inspire is another skill that you'll want to invest one point in, just in the utility of being able to remove status debuffs on a row. Doesn't hurt that it also gives TP back.

As for Guard Order vs Line Guard, both have their merits. If you don't have a second Hoplite through a subclass or a Hoplite/Ninja clone, Guard Order will be more effective in the other row. Guard Order also lasts 3 turns vs Line Guard's 1. Plus, you'll sometimes be needing the Hoplite to do something else that turn, like Bodyguarding someone in the red so they don't get rolled before a heal comes in.

Coercionist on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There are FOEs and bosses in this game with nasty buffs like turn their 2x weakness to fire into a 99% resist or regen hp. You want the ability to shut them off, plus Guard Order and Attack order are really fucking good.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Sub class them into Zodiacs and go bows. It's remarkably decent damage if you forge an element onto them.

So, don't go pure Zodiac then?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    if I retire a guy or rest him do I get to rechoose his subclass? I assume I do if I retire, but I assume I don't if they rest.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

So, don't go pure Zodiac then?

I think he meant "subclass them into Arbalestiers."

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    if I retire a guy or rest him do I get to rechoose his subclass? I assume I do if I retire, but I assume I don't if they rest.

If you retire, you get a brand new character at half the level of the character you retired. You get to choose the main class of it, as well as the subclass.

If you rest, you just get a skill point reset at the cost of 5 levels and can rechoose subclass apparently.

Coercionist on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Zodiacs use mainly tec based damage.

As such they will always be outshown eventually by the weapons classes. That's just how the formula works.

Because of sub jobs though they end up being one of the most useful.

A Zodiac+Arbalist can use bows and with singularity and ether mastery do respectable damage just with base attacking, and gain back tp by killing with them. They can also forgo meteor and go deep into arbalist to get the ability that makes single target abilities go off again for free and specialize in the single element spells.

A Ninja+Zodiac can basically take Bushin+the ability that lowers tp for the back row and then go straight for meteor, eventually giving you the ability to get two turn zero tp meteors+the ability for the other two back row classes to cast for free. Works even better if the second class is...

A GLADIATOR/ZODIAC focusing completely on getting a high physical attack and then casting Meteor.

Actually, you can rechoose subclass on resting.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Actually, you can rechoose subclass on resting.

Interesting, surprised they made subclassing so forgiving.

On another note, I can't sing enough praises for Mr. Plague God. First turn confusion on every monster has made Fifth Stratum much more manageable against some encounters.

I also like how the elephant now has over DOUBLE the health of my Hoplite.

Coercionist on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only thing you put yourself at a disadvantage with in playing EO3 before EO or EO2 is experiencing the conveniences the newest title brings. When you go back to the previous games after, a lot of the convenience / practical strips away some, and it could make those experiences drag-ass and frustrating.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Boss grinding for levels in this game is less practical than it was before. I'm probably going to need end game equipment and characters this time to get the job done.

Only side benefit is that it looks like if you use melee characters you could make a grind party out of four farmers, three with good front row combos and one back row healer for killing the bosses while getting that sweet sweet exp battery.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm trying to make it a goal to play out subclass specs that aren't obviously good / best choices. Hence why I've done what I did with my party.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My guesses for worst subclassing

Yggdroid/just about anything
    Farmer/just about anything

Wildling/Ninja

Hoplite/Zodiac

Shogun/Zodiac

I was going to add Zodiac/Monk and Zodiac/Princess, but then I realized you could use their tec based healing for great profit if you focused your talents on those.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Regarding the experience from Sea Quests, I think that the exp you get is divided between your characters and the NPCs as well. I ended up resting a character and then grinding the first Sea Quest solo on him a little bit to catch back up, and I noticed I got a lot more exp for going with just the ninja than if I went with any of the other two groups with more people. Still an easy way to grind a few levels in your teens quick if you can solo the lighthouse boss with high level equipment.

Lachrymite on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Can't farmer / prince/ss work out well though? I mean, I know you put "just about" anything, but point stands. Both classes are meant to be passive boosts in different manners to your party.

My Wildling is a subclass farmer. Throwing eggs at motherfuckers.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wildling/Farmer is actually a fair answer to the problem, as is Farmer/Wildling, though the lack of the wildlings exclusive kills off a lot of summoning potential.

W/F could work as Wildling spends a lot of time not dealing with their summons and could use the farmers binding/status abilities.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wildling/Farmer is actually a fair answer to the problem, as is Farmer/Wildling, though the lack of the wildlings exclusive kills off a lot of summoning potential.

W/F could work as Wildling spends a lot of time not dealing with their summons and could use the farmers binding/status abilities.

The bonus lay in the egg-throwing ability getting stronger with status ailments existing on the target. The Wildling may have a strong enough attack to be useful that way in random encounters, but FOE / boss fights, he needs to be doing other things.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My party on playthrough number two is going to be all the characters I ignored the first time through.

So Gladiator, Wildling, Monk Yggdroid will all be on the team.

Third playthrough I will make yggdroid work.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Almost two hours of stressing over character names later, Guild Dogwatch now has a full roster of thirty adventurers.

I will only ever use a third of them, but with Combat Study there's no good reason not to recruit early.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i already have a plan for yggdroid, but it's for /yggdroid

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Absolutely.

Such a great ability.

Let's say your party is 40. Anyone you put the first ten points into combat Study is probably around 33 or so. If you rest them you have a character with 28 levels, good enough to tag around with you if you play it safe.

Better example. Let's say your main party just hit 70. Your combat study party from the beginning is probably 60 or so. Now you have a full party of 55's ready to go while you put the skill points into combat study on your retirees.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Good news! You can't take Yggdroid as a subclass!

As silly as it would be to make a human character and shoot their limbs at enemies, the game won't allow it.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wait what

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You can't make a Yggdroid subclass either, right?

It's just as well.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    can you make a shogun subclass? if so this is a load of shit

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yggdroid can subclass into whatever it pleases, and you can subclass Shogun.

Coercionist on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    To clarify:

Yggdroids can have a subclass. You can have an Yggdroid/Gladiator.

Yggdroid can not be used as a subclass. You can not have a Gladiator/Yggdroid.

This is because Yggdroids are not human, and much of their skill set involves losing limbs.

Shoguns are human, and follow the same rules as the other classes.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I bet Yggdroids make things go boom.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So should you not start out with a Farmer in your main party? Subclass into them later?

What does the main class get that the sub does not provide?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    To clarify:

Yggdroids can have a subclass. You can have an Yggdroid/Gladiator.

Yggdroid can not be used as a subclass. You can not have a Gladiator/Yggdroid.

This is because Yggdroids are not human, and much of their skill set involves losing limbs.

Shoguns are human, and follow the same rules as the other classes.
    that's a load of shit

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png