As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Now includes ships, robots and old people

• Chase253Chase253 Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote:
    It's not worth worrying too much about optimizing your party. So long as you choose reasonable builds, you should be fine. You don't really need a super min-maxed team (at least until the boss of the sixth stratum, for which there are really only two viable party compositions...)
    What are those two party compositions?

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    There are way more than two ways to kill that thing. I've done it with at least six different parties.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    So any tips on shin

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote:
    So, Stat Books.

If you use them on a character, and then Retire that character, does his replacement benefit from the stat books you used?

According to an FAQ I read, it does carry over. But I've never tested.

I just made it into the 5th stratum and until now I've been relying on my monk for heals. I was thinking about retireing her for a hoplite and maxing out my prince's reinforce. Is it ok to have only a prince for healing this late in the game

• MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    Chase253 wrote:
    I just made it into the 5th stratum and until now I've been relying on my monk for heals. I was thinking about retireing her for a hoplite and maxing out my prince's reinforce. Is it ok to have only a prince for healing this late in the game

Almost certainly a super bad idea.

Take your monk, subclass to prince, and tech up to 4-5 in Protect Order. Tada, that's all the healing you'll need way into post game.

If anything the Prince is the one you should be retiring into a Hoplite if you don't have one yet.

Where can I get the super arrange version of this games sountrack

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Meiteron wrote:
    Chase253 wrote:

Almost certainly a super bad idea.

Take your monk, subclass to prince, and tech up to 4-5 in Protect Order. Tada, that's all the healing you'll need way into post game.

If anything the Prince is the one you should be retiring into a Hoplite if you don't have one yet.

Yeah, you'll probably want a Monk somewhere, regardless of your composition. I found that maxing out the regen per step ability on a Prince makes it so that your Monk almost never has to heal in random battles, though.

It's been 20 days since I killed shin and she won't regenerate!
    Why?!
    It took me forever to find another formaldehyde!

Until now, I've used my ninja/zodiac for dark ether and nothing else. Now that skill points have piled up, I don't know what to spend them on.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Chase253 wrote:
    Until now, I've used my ninja/zodiac for dark ether and nothing else. Now that skill points have piled up, I don't know what to spend them on.

One-shot kill. TP regen on dodge. Dodge increase. Make a clone.

• RaindropRaindrop Registered User new member
    So, because I am not very original at all, and I suffer from chronic boredom, I made up a guild and gave every member a profile. And, I also started a travelogue. Because the profiles are just sitting there, I decided to post them, so:

Name- Princess Violet Celeste Annabelle Jorgumund Caxle, Daughter of King Caxel, Ruler of Sheba and Its Surrounding Oceans.
    Class-Princess
    Age- 17

Violet is the princess of Sheba, and has been sent on a mission to explore the Yggdrasil Labyrinth and conquer it, to bring even more glory to the citizens of Sheba. Because of this mission, she went to Armoroad and started a guild. She has appointed herself leader of the guild. She is an excellent fencer, and always uses swords in battles. She is brave, and cares about others. She doesn’t act like a princess, and is a serious tomboy. A few members of the guild suspect that she’s hiding something.

Name- Alexis Mayrine- Knight of the Royal Shield
    Class-Hoplite
    Age-17

Alexis is Violet’s companion and bodyguard. She mastered the art of protection at the age of 15, and mastered the use of the spear at age 16. She is a member of the Royal Shield, which is made up of the best warriors in the land. She has been a Knight in the Shield for 3 years. She is outgoing, and has a fun personality. She is brave, and would lay down her life for those she loves.

Name- Dove Mayrine- Knight of the Silver Dawn
    Class-Hoplite
    Age-17

Dove is Alexis’ twin sister. She is a member of the Silver Dawn, which is the place for those whose skill is unmatched. She is quiet and protective, and very smart. She has been mistaken for a boy before, which frustrates her deeply. She is a master in the use of a shield, and her strength is unmatched. She is athletic, and stays in peak physical condition no matter what. She has never lost a fight in her life. She is younger than Alexis by 5 minutes. She has a soft spot for children and animals that aren’t trying to kill her.

Name- Nathaniel (Nathan) Danner
    Class-Gladiator
    Age- 18

Nathan grew up in a small village that was razed by the people of a town called Morard when he was 16. He was taken in as a slave and forced to fight as a gladiator, which was where he met Kate, his best friend. He won every battle he was forced to fight, which earned him popularity among the people of Morard. One day, however, a huge fire came along, and he escaped with Kate. He moved to Armoroad because it was the place farthest away from Morard that he knew of. Kate came with him, and he joined the guild along with her. He has a fun personality ,and is always smiling.

Name- Kate Alonkin
    Class-Gladiator
    Age- 18

Kate lived on an island off the coast of Sheba until she was sold as a slave by her father. She became a gladiator. She is an incredible fighter, and is extremely athletic. She went to Armoroad because she had nowhere else to go. she is an explorer by day, but she works at a local pub at night to earn more money. She is very outgoing, and likes to laugh. She has a secret crush on Nathan.

Name- Fire Raylay
    Class-Buccaneer
    Age- 12

Fire is a girl that was born to sail. She was born on a pirate ship called the Nitewolf that patrolled the coast of Sheba. Her mother died a few months after Fire was born, and her father disappeared, so she sailed the high seas with her brother and sister. They were captured by Shebans a few years later, and in order to reconcile their crimes they were forced to aid Violet in her quest. She doesn’t hold a grudge very well though, and she doesn’t hate anyone from Sheba. She uses a gun in battle.

Name- Jason Raylay
    Class-Buccaneer
    Age- 19

Jason had the burden of taking care of two younger sisters for most of his life. Now however, he doesn’t worry about his sister Fire nearly as much, while his other sister, Ocean, is a different story. He is fun to talk to,and can always make someone laugh. He doesn’t like Shebans very much, though. He uses a rapier in battle.

Name- Ocean Raylay
    Class-Buccaneer
    Age- 17

Ocean is a former pirate, and she used to sail the high seas with Jason and Fire. She is slightly boy crazy, and likes to flirt. She hates the fact that Jason is always looking over her shoulder, and considers herself completely trustworthy. She is smart, and funny. She uses rapiers and guns in battle, and is equally good at both. She works at the Butterfly Bistro as a chef whenever she’s available.

Name- Fox Kiniru
    Class-Ninja
    Age- 15

Fox was a student at the Stealth Academy of Laggard. She was expelled for assaulting a fellow student. She traveled to Armoroad to become a ninja. She succeeded, and applied to join a guild. No one accepted her until Violet came along. Fox has been a member ever since.

Name- Raven Mickellis
    Class-Monk
    Age-16

Raven lived at a Monastery to the north of Armoroad with Adrian and Ben. Her grandfather took care of her along with the other monks. She is an expert at healing, and is proficient at fighting. She is friendly and kind, and she can always cheer someone up. She has a sort of rivalry with Ben, and has a secret crush on him.

Name- Adrian King
    Class-Monk
    Age-16

Adrian is a monk who lived at the Monastery with Ben and Raven before she came to Armoroad. She learned how to fight from Raven’s grandfather. She came up with the idea to go to Armoroad, and she hasn’t ever regretted her decision. She loves to practice fighting with Adrian, and learns a little bit of healing from Ben. She is an expert fighter, and gets in conflicts with Alexis often. She is loud and rash, and she doesn’t think before she speaks too often.

Name- Ben Arison
    Class-Monk
    Age- 16

Ben is a healer from the Qui Yong Monastery that is located north of Armoroad. He traveled to Armoroad with Adrian and Raven to seek new opportunities. He is an excellent cook, and he works at a local restaurant that specializes in sea food. He is proficient at healing, and learns from Raven. He is quiet, but kind. He has taken up a sort of rivalry with Raven, and has a secret crush on her.

Name- Fate Testarossa
    Class-Zodiac
    Age-13

Fate is from the Stargazers Academy, where she learned how to control the elements. She is excellent when using fire attacks, but doesn’t excel at Ice attacks. She has yet to master Volt attacks. She is smart, funny, and brave. She looks up to Kate, and wants to be like her someday.

Name-Mohica Cth’lupe
    Class-Wildling

Age-13

Mohica came from a tribe of savages that lived on an island to the west of Armoroad. Her father was chief of the tribe, and he exiled her for refusing to listen to him. She snuck aboard a boat that was destined towards Armoroad, and joined Violet’s exploration team. She is Fate’s best friend, and Kate looks after her.

Knight Kallin
    Class-Arbalist

Age-18

When Knight was born, her parents had been hoping for a boy, and so they named her Knight. She doesn’t mind though, because she thinks it suits her. Her parents were close with Flowida from the Senate, and they were well to do. However, she didn’t want anything to do with them, and so she ran away from home, and joined an exploration team. She’s been exploring the Labyrinth ever since. She hates Cheyenne, and likes Adrian quite a bit. She is an excellent fighter, and can shoot anything with perfect accuracy. she is kind, and likes to laugh. She’s a serious tomboy.

Name- Cheyenne Albina
    Class-Arbalist

Age-18

Cheyenne has made it her personal mission to make Knight’s life miserable. Cheyenne teases her about her name, how ugly she is, and how she couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. Knight and Cheyenne met in Sharpshooters Academy, and have hated each other ever since. Cheyenne is mean, selfish, and self absorbed. However, she acts like an angel when Violet is around. She is vicious in battle, and likes to be in charge.

Name- Starr Lunaria
    Class-Farmer

Age-17

Starr is a former model who used to pose for a company that sold dresses. However, after a while Starr refused to pose because the company refused to pay her. She left the company and quit modeling. She joined the Farmers League, and became a farmer. She’s happier now than she’s ever been before.

Name- Kingfisher Salvage
    Class-Farmer

Age-10

Kingfisher is a 10 year old boy, who built his own shack to live in when he was 8. He used the land around the shack to grow vegetables. He never joined the Farmer’s League because he was too young. He has been to the entrance of the Labyrinth, but he has never been inside. He anticipates the moment when he can finally enter it./spoiler]

Since my computer hates me, it won't post the pictures. So, I have a description of each of their appearances. It's not long.
    Violet-purple haired princess
    Alexis-pigtail hoplite
    Dove-other girl hoplite
    Nathan-redhead gladiator
    kate-pink haired gladiator
    Fire-young girl pirate
    Jason-blue haired pirate
    Ocean-blonde pirate girl
    Fox-ninja with the kimono
    Raven-blackhaired monk
    Adrian-redhead monk
    Ben-young guy monk
    Fate-blonde girl zodiac
    Mohica-spiky haired wildling
    Knight-blonde haired girl arbalist
    Cheyenne-other girl arbalist, red hair
    Starr-Farmer with blue dress
    Kingfisher-brown haired monk/spoiler]

I used the pictures that Pureauthor used for classes, just so you know.
    I'm probably not gonna post the travelogue, 'cause I need to fix it, and Pureauthor's is way better.
    Thanks!

I've beaten all three endings, so do the final bosses regenerate.

• zilozilo Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about subclassing my Prince as a Farmer for the weirdo sleep and bind abilities, and other random oddities in the Farmer tree (no harvesting). Anyone tried that?

Otherwise I'll probably retire him in favor of a Gladiator or something, and subclass my Monk into a Prince and move him to the back row.

• PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Chase253 wrote:
    Where can I get the super arrange version of this games sountrack

THISTHISTHIS!

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
    EO IV. 3DS. This summer in Japan!

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    EO IV. 3DS. This summer in Japan!

I knew it had to happen eventually... the beginning of the end.

*Sadly acknowledges that EOII, EOIII and Strange Journey never received a PAL release*

Farewell, sweet prince. The time we spent together was magical.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    Nintendo published 1 in Europe right?

Anyways, July 5. Has a casual mode and a bunch of EO sounding announced classes. The magazine introduces seven jobs, including sword man, medic, dancer, and sniper. This may be just a sampling of the total job list, though.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Nice. I skipped 3 for some reason... I'll be sure to pick up 4 immediately.

July 5th in Japan. Late this year early next for US I'd wager.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    July 5th in Japan. Late this year early next for US I'd wager.

Plenty of time.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I expected scans here.

wVEsyIc.png
    I could post them, but what's the point? It's got lolis and trees and Rapealopes.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I expected scans here.

Your wish is my command.

http://gamingeverything.com/15620/first-etrian-odyssey-iv-scans/

Classes revealed so far are: Swordsman, Medic, Fortress, Runemaster, Nightseeker, Sniper and Dancer.

• Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hope it shakes things up as much as 3 did, those classes merely sound like renamed classes from 1 and 2.

Enemies look like they'll be animated and in 3D.

Chrono Helix on
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    If we're to go by EO3, there's 5 classes that haven't been revealed yet. Hopefully they're saving the more unconventional classes for later.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The scariest thing revealed so far?
    Because they created casual mode, Kanada raised the level of difficulty in normal mode.

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The scariest thing revealed so far?
    Because they created casual mode, Kanada raised the level of difficulty in normal mode.

Fuck my life.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm playing Casual. I have yet to finish an EO. Give m a destination, the journy is a nightmare.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Do you know how fucked up FOEs will seem with the 3D-viewing turned on?

I want hardcore mode next. Can only visit town once per stratum and dead characters stay dead.

I want hardcore mode next. Can only visit town once per stratum and dead characters stay dead.

You are an evil person. But I expect no less from you XoB. You're seriously one of the guys on this forum who sits in the town, wearing an eyepatch, a deep scar on your face, noticing when people like me walk in. "Oh, going into the dungeon, huh? Been there, done that. But that was me. For you, you'll be lucky to take ten steps into the place with your all your limbs." You haggard veteran you.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I want permadeath.
    Or at the very least long medical recovery times and mental trauma.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Hot air balloon!

So this will require a 3DS? Can't be played on a regular ol' DS?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Yeah..it's a 3DS game...

OP needs to reboot this thread for the next gen.

uyvfOQy.png
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    This reminds me, I need to go back and play through the rest of EO3 at some point. Its right there in my DS, that I haven't picked up since before this thread died the first time.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I really need to get the "true" ending for 3, should look up some guide I suppose.

And this means I probably need an american 3ds, fml.

If we're really going to kick off a discussion about the game already...

I will say that in terms of the classes they've revealed so far, it seems like they're kinda taking a step back from the outlandish (but awesome, I don't mean that in a bad way) ideas for classes they had in EO3. I'm sure that the mechanics of the classes will be just as refined, if not moreso, than the mechanics of the EO3 classes. But I mean, their design / names seem to fit a singular mold here. Like the game is a step toward taking itself a little bit more seriously. Never a bad thing, I trust what they're doing here. I wonder if sub-classing will carry over. And if it does, will they work on making all combinations viable?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Those animated monsters look fantastic.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767