Options

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Now includes ships, robots and old people

• Options
    Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just to chime in on an earlier argument.

I'd start with EO3 if you were new to the series. 1 and 2 aren't as good and I nearly gave up on the series after ditching both of them mid-way into the second stratum. 3 just works a lot better. Its more polished, more fun, and it feels like theres more to do. In 1 and 2 the skilltrees felt awful and I didn't feel like I was making an impact with most classes early in the game. It felt like all the useful spells had insane prereqs through absolute shit skills.

Kin33 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    So should you not start out with a Farmer in your main party? Subclass into them later?

What does the main class get that the sub does not provide?

The exp boost skill, possibly the best reason to use a farmer.

Here are the unique skills for all classes:

Hoplite:Guardian- Decreases Physical Damage taken.
    Shogun: Second Sword- Allows you to wield a second weapon and ups damage on that attack.
    Princess:Royal Lineage- Everytime the Princess is buffed TP increases.
    Zodiac:Ether Mastery- Increases damage done by Fire, Ice, and Electricity attacks.
    Arbalist:Giant Kill- Increases damage against enemies with over 200% of the Arbalists base HP.
    Buccaneer:Trickster-Regain TP whenever an offensive skill is used.
    Ninja:Keburi no Sue-Reduces TP cost and allows full melee damage from back row.
    Monk:Form Qi- Increases healing done by healing skills
    Gladiator:Endless Battle-Phyiscal damage dealt is increased
    Wildling:Beast Soul-Increases Max Hit Points, Attack and Defense of Summoned Monsters
    Farmer:Earth's Bounty-If the farmer survives battle all exp gained by active party is increased.
    Yggdroid:Who knows:Restores TP per bind on yggdroid.

All of them are really good.

The best buccaneer build I know is basically Shogun with ten points in two swords and the rest into buccaneer regular attack stuff. My buccaneer regularly attacks six times per turn and gets a new limit bar every other turn.

Can't take a hit for crap though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Farmer:Earth's Bounty-If the farmer survives battle all exp gained by active party is increased.
    This effect stacks with more farmers, and all exp including this bonus exp is calculated into combat study

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also the farmer has better luck growth than any other class, so subbing something that has status effects you want to hit could be quite effective.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The OP says that Wildlings can curse, I haven't seen it.

They can do so much though that it is easy to overlook.

All three binds, both poisons, paralysis, sleep, confusion, insta death.

Maybe blind?

I think Monks and something else have Curse though.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oozes have a corruption effect (the second poison) - that is probably what it should be instead of the curse.

Darian on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Narmer down. Had a tough choice the last round; out of healing items, just hit by another fucking Earthquake, Buccaneer dead. Could either use a Nectar on her OR drop the Formaldehyde, but not both. Buccaneer trails the rest of the part by almost a full level, so she couldn't afford to miss this boost. Brought her back.
    I barely survived that at level 16, god knows how people are bringing it down earlier.

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Narmer down. Had a tough choice the last round; out of healing items, just hit by another fucking Earthquake, Buccaneer dead. Could either use a Nectar on her OR drop the Formaldehyde, but not both. Buccaneer trails the rest of the part by almost a full level, so she couldn't afford to miss this boost. Brought her back.
    I barely survived that at level 16, god knows how people are bringing it down earlier.
    It really helps to have an AOE for when he submerges. He's hiding in one of the six shadows that appear, and if you hit the right one he instantly pops back out, no earthquake. If you have an AOE attack and use it, you'll definitely hit the right one.

Lachrymite on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Skills can miss though. It's unlikely as hell but it does happen.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Lachrymite wrote: »
    It really helps to have an AOE for when he submerges. He's hiding in one of the six shadows that appear, and if you hit the right one he instantly pops back out, no earthquake. If you have an AOE attack and use it, you'll definitely hit the right one.

Re Narmer:
    He has an earthquake attack? Never saw it, since my Arballist always brought him back up right away. :P

Darian on
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lachrymite wrote: »

That...would have been good to know. My Arbalist could definitely have handled that.
    Will bear in mind for when he respawns.

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Finally back to the end of Stratum four after taking a break to level and do ship stuff.
    4 is so much easier than three. Easier FOES. Smaller maps. Only one or two annoying regular enemies, pretty good drops. It's also pretty dang cool looking!

This game really blows away the other two in art direction and smoothness of gameplay. Only thing missing in my mind are attack macros and this would be among the best games of all time.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Macros. Phantasy Star 4 is still ahead of its time.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any party advice for EO1? My current team is P / L / D / A / M -- the D seems a bit weak, and the Alchemists' Poison seems stupidly powerful.

Edit: Woah, FOEs come in different colors? This one's Red.

... And has it's own "yer gonna get raped" music.

Edit2: Crap, had him, but didn't realize poison needed reapplying.

KiTA on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Poison's usefulness starts ending about midway through 3rd Stratum.

Dark Hunter is usable but subpar.

This should get you through the main game okay, but you'll want a Survivalist for postgame if you plan on that.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Poison's usefulness starts ending about midway through 3rd Stratum.

Dark Hunter is usable but subpar.

This should get you through the main game okay, but you'll want a Survivalist for postgame if you plan on that.

What's this Retire system I'm seeing in the guild? I can reincarnate party members?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Drop off a party member and get a new recruit with extra Skill points and stats. Higher level when you retire equals more skill points and more stats.

In practice almost everyone I know just recreates the same character.

Only really worth it at the max level since the bonuses don't stack.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Let's be friends, Reynolds.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Any party advice for EO1? My current team is P / L / D / A / M -- the D seems a bit weak, and the Alchemists' Poison seems stupidly powerful.

PsaLM was the standard party for EO1; the Survivor's Apolyon ability was overpowered. Medic can be stashed in the back rank before he has Caduceus for solid damage.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You don't get the bonus stats for retirement in EO1 unless its at seventy.

In EO 2 you gain according to your level.

For an EO III question that I'm almost embarassed to ask seeing as I'm now on stratum five.

Where the hell do you begin the lost dagger quest?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What step are you on?
    Pick up the quest in the bar
    Go to the inn and TALK to the guy who lost his knife
    Check B1 to find a guard by the waterfall
    Talk to the guy in the inn again
    Check for info at the bar
    etc.

I think that's it, or close enough to get you through it.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I want to get an EO3 Avatar.

I'm thinking the bowl cut Hoplite.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    What step are you on?
    Pick up the quest in the bar
    Go to the inn and TALK to the guy who lost his knife
    Check B1 to find a guard by the waterfall
    Talk to the guy in the inn again
    Check for info at the bar
    etc.

I think that's it, or close enough to get you through it.

Pay attention to the dialog in the game, by the way. It can be important.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I clearly knew who was lying.

But I wonder if you get different stuff for doing that quest differently?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's a good question.. Someone bite the bullet and waste time doing the quest wrong!

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I did the Innkeeper's Letter quest wrong. :(

I wish New Game+ would let you do quests a second time.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    New Game + doesn't let you do quests again? D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yep, no more easy exp.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also you get a Grand Total of 8 Coupons. Ever.

Edit: The battle musics in this game blows every other EO game away.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, time to continue a bit. The Second Stratum random encounters are a hell of a lot nastier than those on the first, in stark contrast to the breather that the second stratum was in 2. Random three-man groups of starfish that hit for 65 every turn (when most of my characters are hovering around 80, with only Hoplite being 140+) really put a cramp on one's style. I think we need additional levels. And maybe going back and killing some FOEs for sweet special equipment.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

Let's be friends, Reynolds.

We already are, silly. Crazy that you can drive two hours away from the Metroplex and this state gets so crappy, though.

Also, can a Monk do good damage? Is there any weapon (or fists?) that does good damage from the rear rank for them? I'm a bit confused on what to do with the one I created.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    EO1: So about to hit B4. My team is hovering around level 10. Wondering if I should be farming FOEs for equipment gibs, or if I should just be heading down as fast as I can.

Edit: Nevermind. Wolves are bullshit and I'm now level 9. :P

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The monk damage scaling works better in the late game, supposedly. I tried one out in my pilot-run party, but goddamn the damage was starting to suck fast no matter how much I invested into the skill for bare-handed fighting.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Levels are the prime determiner in how much ass a barefisted Monk... um, punches.

Wolves are the easiest FOE in EO1 by the way, and the second easiest FOE in the series. (The Slaveimps in EO2 are even more pathetic.)

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    igomadnessigomadness Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does the Ninja's evasion work on magical attacks?

At what point do folks start putting skill points into the hitpoint-up skill? My current party is level 15 and hasn't put any there yet. Wondering if that was dumb :)

igomadness on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    After the first point, Fist Mastery skill does dick all at early levels to increase damage. It's a 1% increase in damage per level after the first level. (The first level being a 50%+ boost)

Hammers are probably your best bet early on, although honestly I ditched my Monk really early on because he was too fragile to hang out in the front row with all the row attacks going on, and he was basically twiddling his thumbs in the back row without any long range weapon.

igomadness wrote: »
    At what point do folks start putting skill points into the hitpoint-up skill? My current party is level 15 and hasn't put any there yet. Wondering if that was dumb :)

One great use for the HP Up skill earlier on is to tweak your roster so that attacks go to the right people. Generally speaking, the enemy will usually pick a row, and then pick the person with the highest HP in that row to attack.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, as interesting as bare fisted attacks are, the monk is really squishy for a front row class.

Of course, if you back row him, you gimp your damage. It's really not a class you're going to get a whole lot of damage from early on.

Later game, once you have some levels to where Fist Mastery actually increases your ATK to a respectable level and have Ascetic Deeds maxed out to where the Monk will be self healing himself for 90 passively for every skill, I can see him working extremely well in the front row.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if Ninja/Monk would fix the backrow damage.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there some sort of trick to beating the Golem you fight from the Sea Quest? After my main damage dealer is down I managed to whittle him down to nothing after like 40 turns, and then he doesn't die and pops back up to half full health.

Lachrymite on
  • Options
    CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's just part of the fight. You basically have to go through his health 1.5x to actually kill him.
    Helps to have a Prince as well to Ad Nihilo the Regeneration whenever he uses it.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515