As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Information and FAQ Thread (QUESTIONS GO HERE!)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    daegan wrote: »
    How much is the coat check? In a city where I'm about to pay $42/day for parking, it can't be free... :D

At East last year it was $3 for a single coat per check-in. I am not sure if this pricing will carry over or not or if it applies to bags, but there you go.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    daegandaegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    daegan wrote: »
    How much is the coat check? In a city where I'm about to pay $42/day for parking, it can't be free... :D

At East last year it was $3 for a single coat per check-in. I am not sure if this pricing will carry over or not or if it applies to bags, but there you go.

Thanks. I am terrible about carrying cash on me so I need to plan for this.

daegan on
  • Options
    TossidinTossidin Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Hello everyone

Got a quick question. So it looks like my badge never came in the mail and I will need to pick it up at Will Call. I have been looking and looking (no search is tough) and I only found a bit of information.

I work right in downtown Boston and I was hoping to pick up my pass as soon as possible. Does anyone know when Will Call will start? Can I pop over there on Thursday so I don't eat into my precious PAX time Friday?

I think it is located in the North Lobby in Boston Convention center but I am not sure...

Any Will Call information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Tossidin on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    10am - 10pm Thursday at Registration.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Rawk47Rawk47 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone have any suggestions for good iPhone/iPad MBTA apps. Thanks!

Rawk47 on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rawk47 wrote: »

The MBTA website seems to have a pretty good list of apps for all platforms.

MBTA App List

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    redshoepaulredshoepaul Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rawk47 wrote: »

I personally use Catch The Bus. Simple and easiest to understand.

redshoepaul on
  • Options
    wrmNfuzzywrmNfuzzy Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    So this was going to be my first PAX, however I purchased a badge from a third party and now they've lost the badge before it made it to me... My question is: is there any way the original badge holder can call or email ahead to will-call and change the pre-reg to my name so that I can pick up a new badge myself with photo ID? Or am I just SOL at this point?

wrmNfuzzy on
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd email pax_questions@paxsite.com and ask them what to do.

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    wrmNfuzzy wrote: »
    So this was going to be my first PAX, however I purchased a badge from a third party and now they've lost the badge before it made it to me... My question is: is there any way the original badge holder can call or email ahead to will-call and change the pre-reg to my name so that I can pick up a new badge myself with photo ID? Or am I just SOL at this point?

Did you already pay this person? and/or did you purchase this from somebody who advertised on this forum? If you answered yes to these questions, you should PM the details to Moe Fwacky.

Good Luck!

SmallLady on
  • Options
    jar37jar37 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't come across this question yet so here goes... I'm staying at the Westin attached to the convention center. Last year I stayed at a hotel that wasn't attached to the convention center (I realize this is a different venue) and as such I arrived at the front entrance of the convention center and waited in line with what I thought was everyone else. From what I understand there was another area with people lining up from where the hotel connected to that center. Since I am staying at the Westin I assume I will be walking over to the convention center through whatever hallway connects the 2 buildings. How do the two buildings connect in reference to where people can line up to enter the convention? Will there be more than one line or will I just end up walking outside to the same line as everybody else?

jar37 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    jar37 wrote: »
    I haven't come across this question yet so here goes... I'm staying at the Westin attached to the convention center. Last year I stayed at a hotel that wasn't attached to the convention center (I realize this is a different venue) and as such I arrived at the front entrance of the convention center and waited in line with what I thought was everyone else. From what I understand there was another area with people lining up from where the hotel connected to that center. Since I am staying at the Westin I assume I will be walking over to the convention center through whatever hallway connects the 2 buildings. How do the two buildings connect in reference to where people can line up to enter the convention? Will there be more than one line or will I just end up walking outside to the same line as everybody else?

This was answered earlier, but I'm not sure I remember where.

The Queues are only in two spots: The Q room, and outside the Main theater. People will be able to enter the BCEC at 8AM and head to one of those two areas. Those staying at the Westin can enter directly from the skybridge on level 2 connecting the BCEC and the hotel. Those not staying at the Westin enter from outside. The destinations, however, are the same.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When were the scarves announced last year? I'm wondering if there is going to be any unique swag this year. If there is, I haven't heard about it as yet.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    While we're on the topic of winter-wear, are there going to be any PAX toques? I need a new toque to replace this grungy old one.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    flatline wrote: »
    When were the scarves announced last year? I'm wondering if there is going to be any unique swag this year. If there is, I haven't heard about it as yet.

I would guess there would be a unique item, as we've had them for many years now. Just keep an eye out on the front page for announcements about it.

SmallLady on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    While we're on the topic of winter-wear, are there going to be any PAX toques? I need a new toque to replace this grungy old one.

or even better, more Merch toques! Excellent for sudden snow storms!
    246798645.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1299257468&Signature=3jRG%2FTXXXQ79jJP96568YRIYXd0%3D

SmallLady on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    flatline wrote: »

I would guess there would be a unique item, as we've had them for many years now. Just keep an eye out on the front page for announcements about it.

There shall be a new scarf for this year.

https://twitter.com/rkhoo/status/41746922536566784#
    khoo wrote:
    Yup - there will be an exclusive scarf and tee! They are both quite excellent...

zerzhul on
  • Options
    JaklapJaklap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright guys, I have a question.

I'm meeting up with some guys I know online next week. They are from Canada, and I'm from the USA. I'm on Verizon's network, and I believe they are on the Rogers cell network. I have an unlimited texting plan.

While they are in the US, will I be charged anything extra to text or receive texts from/to them? Vice versa as well, will they be charged?

Thanks.

Jaklap on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Um, these are questions you really need to ask your wireless providers. We have no idea what kind of plans or contracts you're subject to.

slamonella on
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    slamonella wrote: »
    Um, these are questions you really need to ask your wireless providers. We have no idea what kind of plans or contracts you're subject to.

Yeah, I'm trying to get a hold of them, but I thought I would try here to see if anyone had knowledge of this from previous PAXs.

Jaklap on
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jaklap wrote: »
    While they are in the US, will I be charged anything extra to text or receive texts from/to them? Vice versa as well, will they be charged?

While they're roaming in the states, you won't be charged extra for texting them, but they will be charged roaming fees for any incoming or outgoing text/voice/data communications.

Rogers charges $0.75 per text, $1.45 per minute, and $0.03 per KB when roaming to the vast majority of US networks.
    In other words - an arm and a bloody leg.
    There are "roaming packages" that can be bought to get a quota of uncharged communication and reduced overage fees, but they're not much cheaper than paying the roaming charges outright.

Last year our Canadian peeps just piggybacked wifi the whole time and turned off the cellular networks. We managed to get by using Twitter.

The other alternative is to purchase either a US phone or SIM to use while across the border - this may actually be cheaper than the roaming fees. But you'd need an unlocked phone to use another SIM, and Rogers phones are all locked by default.

EDIT:
    Straight from the devil's mouth.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    edited March 2011

While they're roaming in the states, you won't be charged extra for texting them, but they will be charged roaming fees for any incoming or outgoing text/voice/data communications.

Rogers charges $0.75 per text, $1.45 per minute, and $0.03 per KB when roaming to the vast majority of US networks.
    In other words - an arm and a bloody leg.
    There are "roaming packages" that can be bought to get a quota of uncharged communication and reduced overage fees, but they're not much cheaper than paying the roaming charges outright.

Last year our Canadian peeps just piggybacked wifi the whole time and turned off the cellular networks. We managed to get by using Twitter.

The other alternative is to purchase either a US phone or SIM to use while across the border - this may actually be cheaper than the roaming fees. But you'd need an unlocked phone to use another SIM, and Rogers phones are all locked by default.

Awesome man, thanks for the help.
    Does it change if they have smart phones like Blackberries?

Jaklap on
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Nope - same rates apply.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Nope - same rates apply.

Okay, thanks for your help.

Jaklap on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

The Queues are only in two spots: The Q room, and outside the Main theater. People will be able to enter the BCEC at 8AM and head to one of those two areas. Those staying at the Westin can enter directly from the skybridge on level 2 connecting the BCEC and the hotel. Those not staying at the Westin enter from outside. The destinations, however, are the same.

Actually, based on this tweet that just came through (https://twitter.com/Official_PAX/status/43689923185872896) from Official_PAX it's possible that you won't need to be in the Q room to Q for things other than the exhibition hall opening and the main theater. It doesn't say that explicitly of course, but it sounds that way to me.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    does anyone know what the parking will be like at pax? is it going to be free parking, or pay to park? If you have to pay, how much will it cost?

thr4sher on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Free parking in Boston?

Hahahahahahhahhahahahahahahhahahahaahahah

<breathe>

Hahahhahahhahhahhahahahahahahahahhahahahha

Sorry.

Parking at the event is $10 a day.

slamonella on
  • Options
    eugeneeugene Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a badge for someone who will be coming in from out of town. Would I be able to leave it at the Will Call for them?

eugene on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    eugene wrote: »
    I have a badge for someone who will be coming in from out of town. Would I be able to leave it at the Will Call for them?

Unlikely, so you'll need to meet them and give them the badge. Will Call is going to be slammed with just the registrants to be able to keep track of other people's badges as well.

SmallLady on
  • Options
    Striker 805Striker 805 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Ok guys i pre-regristered last year and haven't recieved my plastic pax east pass. Also my friend purchased his and my pass, but he isnt going anymore. How do i get my plastic pass? And what do i need to bring to show proper identification? Please can anyone help??

Striker 805 on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Actually, based on this tweet that just came through (https://twitter.com/Official_PAX/status/43689923185872896) from Official_PAX it's possible that you won't need to be in the Q room to Q for things other than the exhibition hall opening and the main theater. It doesn't say that explicitly of course, but it sounds that way to me.

this is weird. sounds very different than everything else i've heard (queue room & main theater are only 2 queue areas). is there anyone official-ish who can clarify what's meant by this tweet? doesn't seem like it can be right.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Queue room isn't necessary for waiting in line for panels AFTER pax is open. Theaters have their own line-up area outside the theater.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yea from the sound of that you will be able to queue up at any of the theaters since most have something starting at 10 or 10:30 if i remember correctly. I was wondering how that was going to work if you wanted to hit up one of those early panels, it would be an insane dash for everyone to rush to the panels from the expo hall queue room.

lillb on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Queue room isn't necessary for waiting in line for panels AFTER pax is open. Theaters have their own line-up area outside the theater.

Yeah I think the uncertainty lies around the first panel question since the tweet talked about a 10:30AM panel. Would that person need to wait in the Expo Hall Q room prior to 10AM? or could they meander about the convention center before pax is truly "open" and just line up outside the theater in question?

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok guys i pre-regristered last year and haven't recieved my plastic pax east pass. Also my friend purchased his and my pass, but he isnt going anymore. How do i get my plastic pass? And what do i need to bring to show proper identification? Please can anyone help??

email pax_questions@paxsite.com with all the information you have available about your situation and ask them what to do.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh hey guys! Look at this!

New scarf! $20 as per @offfial_pax
    2011ScarfC.jpg

SmallLady on
  • Options
    JTailsJTails OHIORegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Oh hey guys! Look at this!

New scarf! $20 as per @offfial_pax
    2011ScarfC.jpg

Want....that's the first thing on my to do list....
    -Expo Hall, Pax Booth, aim for the scarf

JTails on
  • Options
    OrosoOroso Enforcer PortlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I think the uncertainty lies around the first panel question since the tweet talked about a 10:30AM panel. Would that person need to wait in the Expo Hall Q room prior to 10AM? or could they meander about the convention center before pax is truly "open" and just line up outside the theater in question?

I'm told lines can begin forming outside all theaters at 8am.

Oroso on
  • Options
    Hugh G. RectionHugh G. Rection Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Protomen play next week and I was just wondering how early I should get in line so as to not miss out on the show. Also, do I need anything to get in besides my pre-reg ID?

Hugh G. Rection on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    According to the Twitter, they're allowing 4PM early line up to concerts (that's REDICULOUS). So if you want the best spots, that's the time as I had to do that to get front row seats for Prime. But if you show up an hour before, you should be fine; as long as you are comfortable with the possibility of being in the middle or back of the house.

Edit: You dont need Pre-Reg ID to get into the concert, you DO need the physical 3-day badge or the badge for the day of the concert you wish to attend. If your badge wasn't mailed, your pre-reg ID and barcode will be required to pick up your physical badges at will-call to get into any part of the show.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
This discussion has been closed.