As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14: Where crafting is half the battle! [FFXIV crafting]

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Still have another Brass Knuckles up for grabs. I'll hold it a few more days then its going in the retainer bazzar. The rest of them and the four storm axi are currently being enjoyed by WANGS. So, again, if you need it please let me know.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LEATHERWORKERS:

I have many dyes for sheep, dodo and buffalo.

Mostly for dodo.

Claim these mats by tomorrow evening at 8 PM EST (0100 GMT). After that they will go up in the bazaar. You may still claim them after that point but pubbies will probably beat you to them.

They are free. You do not need to give me anything. They are free.

a puddle on
  • useruser Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I may as well keep myself stocked up the sheep and dodoskin dyes, though I'm not making that tier of equipment very much these days. I'll hit you up next time I'm on.

user on
    edited October 2010
    Cross Postin'
    user wrote: »
    LW Update!: I'm r27.5 now.

Sorry if I came off a bit bitchy about wanting Raptor Sinew last night guys. I have been asking for too much, because I got a craftleve this last cycle that had me make it, and I went 1 for 6 and it went unstable at least once every attempt :(.

But in any event Peda, ever the pleaser and awesome dude, took it upon himself to get me 2 of them singlehandedly from a secret mob (seriously, lurkers I know you trawl here for info). Well I have a bad track record so I'm hesitant to synth em...

Haha fuck that, I synthed the first one and succeeded (THANKS MOIRA! I ate 2x of your Grilled Trout (DOUBLE DOWN!) and didn't go unstable once!). So I have 1x Raptor Sinew +1 left, and 12x Raptor Sinew Cords now!

Here's the deal on these (Meaning here's what I can make now for yas!):

r25 Gathering Belt-> Please be r20+ Gathering before asking!
    Dodoskin Field Belt

r26 Crafting Boots!-> Please be r23+ Crafting before asking!
    Leather Thighboots
    These can be plain, Red, Ochre, or Green. Maybe Black or Yellow as well, I'd have to try it and see.

I'm sure there are actually a ton of recipes that use this cord, but out of the recipes that have been disclosed these are what I feel would benefit the LS most.

Please P.M. orders. (Keep in mind I'm I've only got 12 of these cords for the moment!, getting more depends on our good friend Peda Bear).

Sorry for being so restrictive! But it's mat restricted and there's not a damn thing anyone but Peda can do to help me get the mat.

user on
    edited October 2010
    I like the thigh boots but my dodo skin crakows have +4 output on them so i think ill stick with them, seems like a lot of work to get +1 on magic output.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Greg USN wrote: »
    I like the thigh boots but my dodo skin crakows have +4 output on them so i think ill stick with them, seems like a lot of work to get +1 on magic output.

The crakows are gathering boots, the thighboots are crafting boots. You should really get the thighboots if you're using the crakows for crafting, because they aren't helping you at all.

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Crakows have +4 Magic Craftsmanship. But have a much narrower range of DoH classes.

user on
    edited October 2010
    Crakows have +4 Magic Craftsmanship. But have a much narrower range of DoH classes.

Ohhhhh, I get it. SORRY GALLY YOU'RE STILL A DICK BUT NOT DUMB

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
    edited October 2010
    IndieGirl wrote: »

Ohhhhh, I get it. SORRY GALLY YOU'RE STILL A DICK BUT NOT DUMB

I KNOW RITE?!!

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can make canvas now! Not like all the time, but it's not 100% failure :) If you need canvas half gloves let me know. I can do other canvas stuff, but keep in mind I might asplode it.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Achievement Unlocked: Rank 15 or higher in every Disciple of the Hand class.

a puddle on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Woo!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Saefal wrote: »
    The only idea I had when reading the site descriptions above had to do with storage. We have a few characters that have stated they could store items for our crafters. I myself have a second char that can be used to store anything (that is 160 slots). If it where not problematic to implement, a way to show what is being stored by whom might be useful as we move forward.

- Cheers
    Saefal

That is almost exactly what the provisions are. You would create a second character under your user, and list anything they have under provisions.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
    edited October 2010
    Anyone doing low level weaving? I've got 4 or 5 stacks of moko grass that I want to dump on someone. I'm going to have to purge the inventory soon, I don't have the space to buy arrows and go kill stuff! Not that I would actually ever leave the city for any reason other than to turn in leves, but it would be nice to have the option.

<--- Really hoping they open up additional retainers soon :)

AtomBomb on
  • ostermeiostermei Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So frustrated.

Been trying to BSM up some goodies for everyone, and keep running into the "You decide to wait until you're more skilled" crap left and right. It seems to be getting more prevalent the more ranks I get. Hit r21 last night and thought maybe that would be the magic number where it'll let me start synthing above my level again, but no joy :(

The game should let me decide on my own whether I want to attempt a higher-level synth. Between my gear, my food, and my buff, I can usually manage synths that are 5-6 levels over me (depending on the extra training requirements). I made an Iron File (r25 synth per YG) at r20, there shouldn't be any reason that I can't make Iron Pliers (also listed as r25) at r21. Blarg!

Anyway, gonna grind it up tonight with an outside (WAY outside) chance of hitting r22, as long as I can find enough wind shards to support me (BSM starts getting stupid on shard requirements around r21 synths... best grind I've found currently that has plentiful, easily-obtainable mats requires 7fire/7wind shards).

Oh, and Gally, if you're reading this, bad news on the Ornamental Iron Hammer. The head is listed on YG as r25, but there's a comment on the recipe from a dude saying that he can't even ATTEMPT it at r27. So if you can find one out for purchase somewhere, that's gonna be your best bet. Sounds like it's probably gonna be weeks before I'll be able to attempt one myself. :(

ostermei on
    6242_17704d0e4866044e.png
    edited October 2010
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Anyone doing low level weaving? I've got 4 or 5 stacks of moko grass that I want to dump on someone. I'm going to have to purge the inventory soon, I don't have the space to buy arrows and go kill stuff! Not that I would actually ever leave the city for any reason other than to turn in leves, but it would be nice to have the option.

<--- Really hoping they open up additional retainers soon :)

Must... resist. Can't take... time... away from... smithin...

ostermei on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ostermei wrote: »
    So frustrated.

Been trying to BSM up some goodies for everyone, and keep running into the "You decide to wait until you're more skilled" crap left and right. It seems to be getting more prevalent the more ranks I get. Hit r21 last night and thought maybe that would be the magic number where it'll let me start synthing above my level again, but no joy :(

The game should let me decide on my own whether I want to attempt a higher-level synth. Between my gear, my food, and my buff, I can usually manage synths that are 5-6 levels over me (depending on the extra training requirements). I made an Iron File (r25 synth per YG) at r20, there shouldn't be any reason that I can't make Iron Pliers (also listed as r25) at r21. Blarg!

Anyway, gonna grind it up tonight with an outside (WAY outside) chance of hitting r22, as long as I can find enough wind shards to support me (BSM starts getting stupid on shard requirements around r21 synths... best grind I've found currently that has plentiful, easily-obtainable mats requires 7fire/7wind shards).

Oh, and Gally, if you're reading this, bad news on the Ornamental Iron Hammer. The head is listed on YG as r25, but there's a comment on the recipe from a dude saying that he can't even ATTEMPT it at r27. So if you can find one out for purchase somewhere, that's gonna be your best bet. Sounds like it's probably gonna be weeks before I'll be able to attempt one myself. :(

The listed numbers on YG are never correct. They are just listing the level bracket that the synth resides in. So if it says 25, it could be anywhere from 25-31. The game basically cuts you off at things that are many ranks above you. So the file isn't actually 5 ranks above you. There is a group of people using the synth error message to try and get accurate synth levels. I think the error occurs when the synth is 10 levels higher or something along those lines. I'll have to look into it more.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited October 2010
    I haven't seen folks using the hammer yet. My iron is still holding its own though. I think getting the r27 offhand will be the biggest help at this point. Us gsms are still on weathered grinder... like all of us on the server. Gsms seemed to kinda get fucked in the tools department. Thanks for trying it though.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    edited October 2010
    The listed numbers on YG are never correct. They are just listing the level bracket that the synth resides in. So if it says 25, it could be anywhere from 25-31. The game basically cuts you off at things that are many ranks above you. So the file isn't actually 5 ranks above you. There is a group of people using the synth error message to try and get accurate synth levels. I think the error occurs when the synth is 10 levels higher or something along those lines. I'll have to look into it more.

Just extra frustrating that I'm running into it so much more now. Makes perfect sense, of course, since at the low levels you've got a much larger pool of individuals testing the waters, so the listed numbers should tend to be more accurate. I just want to make useful stuff for people, but I can't! I'm r21, I should be able to make good shiat! *sulk* ;)

ostermei on
    edited October 2010
    Greg USN wrote: »
    I haven't seen folks using the hammer yet. My iron is still holding its own though. I think getting the r27 offhand will be the biggest help at this point. Us gsms are still on weathered grinder... like all of us on the server. Gsms seemed to kinda get fucked in the tools department. Thanks for trying it though.

I have a ragstone laying around, if someone at least wants to make a wheel. (That recipe is up on YG.) Then it's just random experimentation to try to find the wheel recipe, but I have a feeling one could use the mudstone grinder recipe as a basis and find it without too much difficulty.

There are several sources listing its repair as chestnut plank, so I assume that would replace the elm.

jdmichal on
    edited October 2010
    There's only one off-hand weaver upgrade listed on YG, the r27 Walnut Spinning Wheel. Someone said that they asked a r38 carpenter to try and make it and he got the "you decide to wait" message D:

It's easy enough to test on my own, but since I'm not at home does anyone know if having an off-hand crafting tool raises your stats if you're crafting with your main-hand? I might dump my r1 wheel if it's not offering any benefit.

AtomBomb on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, off-hands seem to be tricky business. I was able to make my Iron File, like I said, but that's about it so far. I can't attempt the Iron Sledgehammer Head, I can't attempt the Iron Culinary Knife Blade, I can't attempt Iron Pliers, I made an Iron Claw-hammer Head, but I can't attempt to put the hammer itself together.

I haven't tried making the mats for the scythe or the gig, but I assume they'll be one of those two situations: either I can make the head and then the CRP in question won't be able to make the item (although Jodaddy maybe could by now), or it just won't even let me attempt to make the parts.

More and more it's looking like I'm gonna have to put PGL and everything else on hold and just burn through BSM as fast as I can if I want to actually be useful... Got ~22,000 tnr... if I lowball my SP/synth estimate as ~200 to be conservative, that's about 100-110 synths to blow through tonight. Less, really, since I still have a r15 leve in Iron Lake that should get me ~300-350 each... I can totally do this!

I am formally requesting all your wind shards, though. All of them. No, no, don't argue. Hand them over. Now.
    I'm not kidding, do it.
    Okay, I am kidding, but it'd still be awesome if you did it.
    Spoiler.

ostermei on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, off-hands seem to be tricky business. I was able to make my Iron File, like I said, but that's about it so far. I can't attempt the Iron Sledgehammer Head, I can't attempt the Iron Culinary Knife Blade, I can't attempt Iron Pliers, I made an Iron Claw-hammer Head, but I can't attempt to put the hammer itself together.

I haven't tried making the mats for the scythe or the gig, but I assume they'll be one of those two situations: either I can make the head and then the CRP in question won't be able to make the item (although Jodaddy maybe could by now), or it just won't even let me attempt to make the parts.

More and more it's looking like I'm gonna have to put PGL and everything else on hold and just burn through BSM as fast as I can if I want to actually be useful... Got ~22,000 tnr... if I lowball my SP/synth estimate as ~200 to be conservative, that's about 100-110 synths to blow through tonight. Less, really, since I still have a r15 leve in Iron Lake that should get me ~300-350 each... I can totally do this!

I am formally requesting all your wind shards, though. All of them. No, no, don't argue. Hand them over. Now.
    I'm not kidding, do it.
    Spoiler.

tl;dr: SMITHIN' FACE :|

Fixt.

jdmichal on
    edited October 2010
    jdmichal wrote: »

I'm not kidding, do it.
    Spoiler.

tl;dr: SMITHIN' FACE :|

Fixt.

And never has it been more appropriate ;)

ostermei on
    edited October 2010
    I feel for ya MM. I'm doing okay at making canvas now, and past experience says that making cloth is equal to/harder than making stuff out of it. The recipe for Canvas Slops seems easy enough, I'm looking around trying to find mats for it. It's r26 gear, but in my search I just saw a note saying you can't even attempt it at r26 WVR (and I'm r23). It's listed as a r30 synth, but who knows what it really is >.<

By the time I can make it no one is going to need it anymore :(

AtomBomb on
    edited October 2010
    I feel for ya MM. I'm doing okay at making canvas now, and past experience says that making cloth is equal to/harder than making stuff out of it. The recipe for Canvas Slops seems easy enough, I'm looking around trying to find mats for it. It's r26 gear, but in my search I just saw a note saying you can't even attempt it at r26 WVR (and I'm r23). It's listed as a r30 synth, but who knows what it really is >.<

By the time I can make it no one is going to need it anymore :(

Pretty sure i'll still need them :) I'm taking a small break from GSM to work on LNC a bit more. I want to keep the two of them at the same rank.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I could use a pair of canvas halfgloves for my armorer. Also, any extra canvas I can get my hands on, as it is the one missing piece I need to make about 50 celatas for skill, use, guild distribution, and profit. Would like to make some bronze sabatons and gauntlets for wear as well, and they also take canvas. I'll get you all the shards and yarn you need.

Saphier on
    edited October 2010
    I can do the halfgloves no problem. If you're going to be selling the celatas I'll make the canvas for you for earth shards, but it'll take a back seat to any in-guild needs. However, since it looks like what I can make with canvas is pretty limited right now I should be able to hook you up.

AtomBomb on
    edited October 2010
    I can do the halfgloves no problem. If you're going to be selling the celatas I'll make the canvas for you for earth shards, but it'll take a back seat to any in-guild needs. However, since it looks like what I can make with canvas is pretty limited right now I should be able to hook you up.

Ooooh... Do want!

ostermei on
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so, can anyone make any recommendations (and make) LNC gear (currently rank 12) Specifically looking for legs and feet.
    Have shards (wind, i assume), will travel.

thanks!

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm mostly just looking to remunerate the cost of shards on all the components I skilled up on, and gain skill on celatas that will actually pay for themselves for a change, unlike the iron toes which i'll be doing next =\
    I wanted to offer you the chance for free paid skillups before I went ahead and just bought them outside of guild. =)

Saphier on
    edited October 2010
    I succeeded on my second and last raptor sinew, I'm just waiting on some crafting food and then I'll craft up leather thighboots for every able craftsman or woman above rank 22. The available colors are red, ochre, green and plain so let me know your selection. As for the dodoskin fieldbelts, they're still available, I'll make them on the spot for any gatherer r20 or above.

user on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    So what you are saying is Smiffin' Face :|

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Back from BlizzCon now.. I'll be around crafting tonight! :3

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited October 2010
    If an alchemist would be so kind as to check this recipe for the WANG project.

1x Baking Soda (Possibly Natron)
    1x Chalk
    3x Fine Sand (possibly Silex)
    1x Limestone

I'll check it myself as well when I get home. Supposedly it has been verified and can be made around Rank 25. But I trust you guys first :)

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If an alchemist would be so kind as to check this recipe for the WANG project.

1x Baking Soda (Possibly Natron)
    1x Chalk
    3x Fine Sand (possibly Silex)
    1x Limestone

I'll check it myself as well when I get home. Supposedly it has been verified and can be made around Rank 25. But I trust you guys first :)

Hmmmm...

I don't have Limestone; are you *sure* the verified recipe calls for Limestone and not Saltpeter? It would be interesting, considering that the description for Saltpeter does specifically mention it's used in making glass.

Natron = Baking Soda

I've tried Chalk in the recipe.

I've tried Silex but not Fine Sand.

The main recipe (that was proven false) was 3x Silex, 1x Bomb Ash, 1x Natron, 1x Saltpeter.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
    edited October 2010
    3 Silex
    1 limestone
    1 Natron
    1 Chalk

confirmed by multiple people on YG. Have yet to try it myself. They are unable to attempt it however at Rank 27 Alc.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited October 2010
    3 Silex
    1 limestone
    1 Natron
    1 Chalk

confirmed by multiple people on YG. Have yet to try it myself. They are unable to attempt it however at Rank 27 Alc.

There's a couple of cheap Limestone +2 pieces on Sumumoshop in Woodcutter's Row in the Ul'dah markets according to YG if someone wants to snap them up, I'm not going to be able to log in for a few hours.

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • PerytonPeryton Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Curiosity finally got the better of me last night and I decided to go ahead and try wing glue at rank 26 alchemy and wound up going 7/12 including a HQ for 16. Skillups were low 300s to exactly 400 so it isn't an especially high synth at all.

Now I just hope I get home and it all sold and I have an extra 5 million gil.

I do hope that enemies start to drop more shards or something soon, because the recipes start having insane amounts of crystal/shard requirements and needing 3000 shards for one level seems ridiculous to me. Plus some of those gem cuts (like uncut diamond -> diamond) require 8 wind *crystals* which is nuts.

Have any of you found a location with lowish level wind elementals at all? I've been soloing puks in Cassiopeia's and in the east room there is a little island in the middle with 3 very fast respawning puks that have a rare chance of spawning as water elementals that con orange to me at 24 but aren't too hard, and they have a decent chance to drop a water cluster and/or 6 water crystals which is nice.

Peryton on
    edited October 2010
    So in an attempt to get more involved with the super early A.M., I didn't really sleep and ended up making Remy a Wrapped Maple Longbow (even though the game made fun of my low GLD subskill). Maybe (s)he'll post pics but it is a fantastic looking piece of equipment.

I know you P.M. Archers have been hooked up by Jodaddy with the Plumed Willow Shortbows, but I'm super excited now to figure out how to wrap my Ash Longbow and have it looking like a million bucks!

user on