As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Which wych is which?

• Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nax wrote: »
    Did someone post and delete? Wtf are you guys talking about? :P

Some dude posted some nice looking Space Wolves and there was a link buried in the post that went somewhere off topic.

Those posts are now gone.

So...Dark Eldar...they're spikey, right?

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    It was the weirdest spammer I've seen in a long while.

Echo on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spammer that attempted to match the subject matter of the thread? Weeeeird.

Offtopic: Dudes.. I just found 3 sticks of PC133 memory... 128MB, 128MB, and 256MB. Hilarious

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Offtopic: Dudes.. I just found 3 sticks of PC133 memory... 128MB, 128MB, and 256MB. Hilarious

Going to start a Computer Museum with those?

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fuck that the place I used to work still used PC 133 memory. I wanted to DIE. DDR3 baby!

Also, I can't wait for IA11

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    altmann wrote: »
    fuck that the place I used to work still used PC 133 memory. I wanted to DIE. DDR3 baby!

Also, I can't wait for IA11
    Man, IA9 has only been out for like two days. Sheesh.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you totally; I want my wolfy goodness too, but I also want to know how the Badab War turns out.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Not that I'm disagreeing with you totally; I want my wolfy goodness too, but I also want to know how the Badab War turns out.

Huron is defeated, becomes a pirate, turns to Chaos.

oh ho ho, spoiled!

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dude, we have spoiler tags for a reason!

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I also found this exclusive piece of art of what happens to Huron after he goes Chaos:

Huron_Blackheart_2.jpg

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's exclusive?

SJ on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's about as exclusive as his prior post was a spoiler :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So... I'm kinda doing the wishful thinking at this point since I can't even support one army at this time (I plan on only finishing out the Company I currently have) but I like being shooty and I like the Tau's background (as little there is).

How bad of an idea is this?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Its an excellent idea. You should buy my battle force for 40 dollars

Nax on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To start Tau? If you like the models, go for it. But game-wise they're gonna be really mediocre until they get an update.

SJ on
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    first tournament of the season is on next weekend - I've been working abroad for a month with no 40k, hopefully I've still got some latent skills locked up in my brain...

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Matrias wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Huron is defeated, becomes a pirate, turns to Chaos.

oh ho ho, spoiled!

I'm amused that the original RT fluff had the reason for his betrayl not be fully explained, but there was strong suspicion he was either under Xenos influence, or had been replaced by one.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, the reason for his "betrayal" was that he overstepped the letter of his granted authority whilst maintaining the spirit (according to him anyway) and the greater Imperium stepped on him, as it does all irritations.
    For some reason he took this personally...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    SentaphSentaph Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I was wondering... what do you guys do to keep games interesting?

You see, I realized the other day that I hardly ever roll for missions any more. Instead, my buddies at the FLGS and I are constantly trying to come up with new ways to play. For instance, our shop has a set of random mission generator cards. You pull the color coded cards to determine things like deployment, conditions, objectives, and special abilities.

The last mission I played with the cards had 24" square deployments in opposite corners, with 1 objective in each deployment zone, and 2 in no man's land. Deployment made us place all units in the deployment zone and overriding special rules which meant BOTH my drop pods were now sitting in my deployments zone. My friend's primary objective was to have more kill points in the center of the board than me, and his secondary was to hold two objectives. My primary was to have two units or vehicles above half strength in his deployments zone at game's end, and my secondary was to take one of his objectives. Now, this wouldn't have been too bad (even without my dang drop pods) but the conditions were killer! First, there were random meteor strikes each turn which didn't actually hit anything all game. But the second condition was flooding. This meant that all terrain except for buildings, ruins, and hills were both difficult and dangerous. Also, each turn, all objectives floated D6" towards a random board edge (which happened to be my opponent's of course)

Needless to say that one was a little rough! Even worse, his two Exorcists and his Vindicare Assassin took out all my tanks and transports. This left me footslogging through difficult and dangerous terrain trying to reach his board edge while he just turtled in the middle. With a ton of luck and a Librarian casting Force Dome (and later instant killing Inquisitor Lord Kamazarov with Force Weapon) I managed to clear him out of the middle of the table, and take one of his objectives to win. It was crazy!

Lately though, we've been running 2000 point 3-for-all games that really force you to think differently. Last game we each had two objectives to place, but they were treated exactly as reserves. You rolled for them to come in on turn 2, then used deep strike to place them, and even used the mishap table if you missed. Things got pretty wild! I got hit from both sides and got wiped out of my deployment zone. Luckily my Pedro/Sternguard/Librarian Drop Pod came in with my second objective, so I pulled something crazy and dropped both next to the Necron player's objective that was lightly defended and ignored. I pulled it off pretty well (Vengeance Rounds and The Avenger will do that) but the game went another turn and the objectives got contested. Still, I had a blast, and learned a lot.

Anybody else have cool or wacky games they run?

Sentaph on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I keep things interesting, for myself at least, by running wacky lists. For example...

All infantry IG lead by straken, leading to hilarious situations of guardsmen beating X in combat
    All armour IG, as this is what made me want to play 40k to begin with
    Max dreadnought blood angels
    foot slogging eldar-zilla
    ninja tau
    etc etc

To be fair, these lists are normally highly effective as well, but its fun to have a theme. The only thing I hate, is I have an aura that makes dice around me roll spearhead annihilation approximately 78% of the time.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Best way I've found to get some variety is differing point size games, and increasing the player count. Or both.

My friend and I used to play 1500pts all the time at my house. But when we were at his house, his brothers would join in with their armies, and we would run the old WD Carnage scenario. 4 1000pt armies, one objective in the center. Whoever has the best scoring unit on that objective at the end wins.

Not the most well balanced scenario, but it is loads of fun if you aren't surrounded by people just playing to win. The amount of teaming up and backstabbing that went on in those games was hilarious.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SentaphSentaph Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Best way I've found to get some variety is differing point size games, and increasing the player count. Or both.

My friend and I used to play 1500pts all the time at my house. But when we were at his house, his brothers would join in with their armies, and we would run the old WD Carnage scenario. 4 1000pt armies, one objective in the center. Whoever has the best scoring unit on that objective at the end wins.

Not the most well balanced scenario, but it is loads of fun if you aren't surrounded by people just playing to win. The amount of teaming up and backstabbing that went on in those games was hilarious.

Yeah, I've really been enjoying Just for Fun multi-player battles. In the last battle, one of the highlights was the Sister player and I spending half the game trying to kite the Nightbringer into the other player. Hilarity ensued. Also, any time someone says: "Ok, I won't shoot you if you will let me go do this" something ridiculous will probably happen.

Sentaph on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So yeah, my current, planned Tyranid 1500pt army. Here's the list, any tips?

Note that I want to avoid using Trygons and Tervigons, mainly because everyone uses them, and while they are better than Carnifexes, I'm trying to avoid them outside of bigger games. Also, my warriors aren't not having deathspitters. It's a preference thing. Though I've considered dropping the venom cannon.
    HQ
    Tyranid Prime
    LW/BS
    Scything Talons

Hive Tyrant
    Armoured Shell
    Wings
    LW/BS
    Scything Talons

Troops
    5 Warriors
    4 Death Spitters
    1 Venom Cannon
    Scything Talons

12 Hormagaunts

12 Hormagaunts

24 Termagants

Elite
    3 Hive Guard

Fast Attack
    3 Shrikes
    LW/BS
    Scything Talons

10 Gargoyles

Heavy Support
    Carnifex
    2 pairs Scything Talons

Carnifex
    2 pairs Scything Talons

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    To start Tau? If you like the models, go for it. But game-wise they're gonna be really mediocre until they get an update.

What's amazing is that everyone in my neck of the woods who plays Tau -Always frikkin win!

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Heh, 4 player games. It ends up being 2v2.

The ideal 4 player mission would be to have each player have the objective to kill the most amount of troops of the player to his right. That, or at least something like, kill one unit of every other player's army.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So yeah, my current, planned Tyranid 1500pt army. Here's the list, any tips?

Yeah, use Termagaunts heavily, use a Harpy, and three units of Pyrovores.

Ok, just kidding. The Venom Cannon (even the Heavy variant) is pretty useless. The only 'Nid shooting which seems to be effective are Zoanthropes. Even the Tyrannofex is barely viable. (At least in my experiences - Your results may vary)

Broods of Carnifexes are amazing. Don't listen to all the Haters out there. Try them yourself before jumping to a conclusion.

Attach a Tyranid Prime to a Carnifex Brood and amazing things will happen. And don't let those Ork players call 'cheese' on you for Wound Allocation Shenanigans.

Want to try something fun? Try running TWO Hive Tyrants with wings. Sure it's a lot of points, but things will melt when you hit them! -Don't forget Leech Life and Paryoxm!

Warriors and Raveners are awesome. SuperHormagaunts will eat Mahreenz for breakfast!

Mystery.Shadow on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Bear in mind, this is my intial 1500pt army. I'll continue expanding my swarm after I have this for addng variety to games, and apocolypse (like biotitans... my fiancee is nice enough to buy me a scythed heirodule for christmas).
    Ok, just kidding. The Venom Cannon (even the Heavy variant) is pretty useless. The only 'Nid shooting which seems to be effective are Zoanthropes. Even the Tyrannofex is barely viable. (At least in my experiences - Your results may vary)

I've been told that Hive Guard are the better units outside of hitting AV14 targets at range, since they don't need LoS and don't need to pass a psychic test to fire. Which is why I included them instead of Zoanthropes. I have Carnifexes to hit AV14 targets. I'll get some Zoanthropes later for some variety though.
    Broods of Carnifexes are amazing. Don't listen to all the Haters out there. Try them yourself before jumping to a conclusion.

Attach a Tyranid Prime to a Carnifex Brood and amazing things will happen. And don't let those Ork players call 'cheese' on you for Wound Allocation Shenanigans.

I was planning to. I'm running them individually because of unit cohesion and assaulting multiple targets, but I might try running them as a brood with my Prime.
    Want to try something fun? Try running TWO Hive Tyrants with wings. Sure it's a lot of points, but things will melt when you hit them! -Don't forget Leech Life and Paryoxm!

I'll save that for apocolypse games...
    Warriors and Raveners are awesome. SuperHormagaunts will eat Mahreenz for breakfast!

I'm not including Ravenors because I want flying fast attack, so Shrikes and Gargoyles. I'll get Ravenors later though for variety. I want to run multiple warrior broods, but I don't want to sacrifice some of my smaller, expendable units.

The ideal 4 player mission would be to have each player have the objective to kill the most amount of troops of the player to his right. That, or at least something like, kill one unit of every other player's army.

Yeah, but the teams of 2 tend to change every turn :P

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hive Guard are very useful. Them not needing line-of-sight keeps them well protected. They have good Ballistic Skill and make a mockery of that Tau Jump-Shoot-Jump nonsense. (Not to mention strength is double toughness!)

(Three) Zoanthropes in a Mycetic Spore makes Armor Commanders cry.

Gargoyles are amazing for their points cost. And the new models are very nice!

Good luck with the Tyranids!

Mystery.Shadow on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone interested in some Sisters of Battle?

36 Sisters of Battle (6 New In Blisters (Boltguns), 3 Flamers, 3 Storm Bolters, 1 Meltagun, 1 Sister Superior with Plasma Pistol and Chainsword, and 22 Sisters with Boltguns)
    1 Cannoness with Inferno Pistol and chainsword/power weapon/a cool looking book. (I have all three arms)
    1 Immolator with Heavy Flamers (Assembled)
    2 Exorcist/Immolator upgrade kits (Has the Immolator sprue and the Exorcist metal bits)
    1 Daemonhunter Inquisitor with Grimoire (In blister, but the blister has been opened. All parts still there)

$180 dollars, shipped.

Also, I still have my Tau to unload:
    Crisis Suit XV8 Commaner (Assembled. Magnetized missile pods, multi tracker, plasma rifle, shield)
    12 Fire Warriors with Pulse Rifles (Assembled, Will include sprue with pulse carbines)
    2 Gun Drones (Assembled)
    Battle Force (Wrapper opened, one fire warrior taken off sprue. Otherwise, all else new on sprue)
    $75 dollars, shipped.

Up for PA'ers for a day before I post up elsewhere on the webs

Pictures available upon request

Nax on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Question for you Imperial Navy guys....

How the heck do you mount your Tauros Venators to your Sky Talon Transports without the dang things (and grappling arms) always falling off?!

Mystery.Shadow on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    I keep looking at my 'nids and going "Eh, I'll just add more hormagaunts and/or gargoyles".

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man, after searching for good detail brushes, I found them right next door to my local GW. There's a craft shop, which sells some pretty high quality brushes. Grabbed a size 0 for detail work, and it's exactly what I wanted, not many bristles, and very short. I find brush control harder with long bristles.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I promise, if these bug anyone, I'll stop posting them here... but they are 40k related and all...

Choppa_001.jpg

Grenade_Launcher_001.jpg

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hell yes they bug me.

They make me wish I could make awesome things like that...

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Its 2v2 until your tacit teammate betrays you, isnt that right slapnuts! :P

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Scurvy, you have no place to talk. You actually openly admitted you were not going to go against the guy next to you. In a FFA game, there are no rules, and there's only one winner...

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    and the winner... is Chaos

Nax on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

As planned?

Sigh I played with my eldar army the other day I spent more time answering the question of how old was it

I found out my army is older than some of the people I play with D:

Brainleech on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Actually Tzeentch, but he'll let the other chaos people think they've had a slice of victory pie as well.
    For now.

see317 on
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Scurvy, you have no place to talk. You actually openly admitted you were not going to go against the guy next to you. In a FFA game, there are no rules, and there's only one winner...

I simply stated that i formed an alliance of the moment with my wolf brother. Who then turned on me and killed me instead of the nurglings he should have.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's what you deserve

Nax on
This discussion has been closed.