As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend on: Credit Card

WalterWalter Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I live very much within my means and therefore haven't had a need for a credit card. I use a visa debit or cash for anything I need. No car loan either thanks to a very generous family member. Its been great but its left me with no credit history whatsoever. I want to get a credit card that I'll use for my groceries, utilities, and meal purchases. It will be paid off in full and on time every month.

I have been looking around and I really like this deal:
http://www.mostmiles.com/mvt/
My fiance and I currently live in different states and any extra flights we could get would be awesome. The miles I get for signing up would pay for a round trip flight and be worth the $50 annual fee.

I am a little nervous about this whole process though. Does anyone have any advice or know of cards with better perks?

tl;dr Recommend me my first credit card.

Walter on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do you have any credit history? Even student loans paid off timely for 24 months? You may have to go with who will take you. Check out mint.com

All the major banks are basically the same.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you get rejected for that credit card, you may have to get a secured credit card (which is perkless aside from building your credit).

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Improv is correct. However, not many banks do the secured credit card thing anymore. if you get rejected for a rewards card based on your lack of credit, you can aways hit up Orchardbank.com (HSBC).

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have no student loans thanks to scholarships and the same generous family member. I pulled my credit report and their is nothing on it at all. I have kept a cell phone for about 6 years and have rental history, but thats it. I also have very little income since I am now in graduate school. Drat. Looks like I will have to take whoever will have me. Good thing I'm getting started on this now.

Walter on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My wife and I are going through the same thing. I have a little bit of credit and can get a card through my bank but they won't approve one for her as she has no credit history. All her loans and such have been through her family. She was even rejected by Walmart for their shitass credit card. I'm going to guess you're just going to have to take whatever will take you, and most likely the only "perks" of that card, will be a stupid high interest rate.

But do it anyway, as we are finding out trying to move on from renters to home owners without credit is essentially impossible, unless you're somehow rich, and can just pay cash money for a house without the help of anyone.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    CitiBank, HSBC, and Wells Fargo are the only banks you might have near you that have a secured credit card.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    My wife and I are going through the same thing. I have a little bit of credit and can get a card through my bank but they won't approve one for her as she has no credit history. All her loans and such have been through her family. She was even rejected by Walmart for their shitass credit card. I'm going to guess you're just going to have to take whatever will take you, and most likely the only "perks" of that card, will be a stupid high interest rate.

But do it anyway, as we are finding out trying to move on from renters to home owners without credit is essentially impossible, unless you're somehow rich, and can just pay cash money for a house without the help of anyone.

This is largely why I'm doing this. I applied for a mortgage earlier this year, offering 20% down and was rejected due to not having any credit and almost no income. Once again that very generous family member stepped in and helped me out. However, I'll most likely be moving in two years and will need a mortgage if I go to a more expensive location or nicer house.

Dang, I had dreams of free flights and sterling credit. I applied and the sight said they "need more time to process" my application. I'm going to take that as a negative. I'll look into a secured credit card and update when I find something. Thanks so much guys.

Walter on
  • Options
    PhivesPhives Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bank of America also offers a secured card.

Phives on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yea, but they're evil.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There are three types of banks

Evil ones that have fucked you over
    Evil ones that you don't realize are evil because they haven't fucked you over yet
    The one Jimmy Stewart ran in It's a Wonderful Life.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Walter wrote: »

This is largely why I'm doing this. I applied for a mortgage earlier this year, offering 20% down and was rejected due to not having any credit and almost no income. Once again that very generous family member stepped in and helped me out. However, I'll most likely be moving in two years and will need a mortgage if I go to a more expensive location or nicer house.

Dang, I had dreams of free flights and sterling credit. I applied and the sight said they "need more time to process" my application. I'm going to take that as a negative. I'll look into a secured credit card and update when I find something. Thanks so much guys.

You may want to consider asking that very generous family member to cosign a loan with you instead of just giving you the money flat out (if that's what they are doing). If that person has a decent credit rating, it will give your chances of being accepted a big boost and will help you achieve a credit score of your own.

Blarghy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Blarghy wrote: »
    Walter wrote: »

You may want to consider asking that very generous family member to cosign a loan with you instead of just giving you the money flat out (if that's what they are doing). If that person has a decent credit rating, it will give your chances of being accepted a big boost and will help you achieve a credit score of your own.

We couldn't find a bank that would give me a mortgage, even with a co-signer. We looked because he wanted me to build my credit. I know it sounds crazy, but I bought about a year and a half ago and NO ONE was lending. Especially not to some one without an income. I want to say we offered even 60% down and it was still impossible due to the income.

Walter on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    There are three types of banks

Evil ones that have fucked you over
    Evil ones that you don't realize are evil because they haven't fucked you over yet
    The one Jimmy Stewart ran in It's a Wonderful Life.

Also note that the third type of bank is, in fact, fictional.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll throw in just a piece of advice. Find a card with a locked in interest rate. Don't fall for the APR garbage or variable interest rates. If a financial catastrophe occurs you're going to get nailed.

I got a credit card when I turned 18 at 7% interest and a 500 dollar limit. Now I am 25 and that same card is at a 4.9% interset and a 15,000 dollar limit.

Every 6 months call your company and ask for a credit increase so you can amass a greater credit score.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.