As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fist of the North Star out 2nd Nov (360/PS3)

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh I just have coupons left over from Kirby and Vanquish. I'm wondering if K-mart will actually get this game in though or if it's too obscure.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man, while you know it is a Dynasty Warriors style game, it doesn't feel like it, but more like a brawler.

And the Meridian chart where you decide what path you will take (do I want more different actions, on my attack? Do I want a different signature attack? Do I want more Spirit so that I can do seveal signature attacks), it gives you so many options to choose from!

And a very good thing : everything can work with a single save, and even if you fail, you will have earned some skill points.

I started playing as Ken on Normal, I got my ass kicked, and I thought : now I have to start with 0 skill points, nono, just replay the level on Easy with all the skill points you have earned.

And then I played as a different character a earned skill points for that, and so on... Pretty nice!

And yes, you simply have to play with extreme violence (why wouldn't you, it's an 18+ game)

The only minor niggle I have is : they have such enormous hands! In the cut scenes it's unbelievable, they're almost twice the size of their head o_O

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Oh I just have coupons left over from Kirby and Vanquish. I'm wondering if K-mart will actually get this game in though or if it's too obscure.

Having worked there for too long(thankfully past tense), you'd be surprised what they carry.

Stuff I've seen over the years:

-Suikoden III
    -Persona 3
    -No More Heroes 2
    -Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    -RAW DANGER

etc.

So it's not impossible.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aw dammit, looks like K-Mart is never going to carry the game. I saw on CAG someone said they asked and that was what they answered. Hrmmm. I'm wondering now if Toys R Us is stocking it. I imagine they are and if I got it tomorrow I'd get a $20 gift card. I could use that on a PSN card to buy all the DLC......

Gilder on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Quick Look of this video game

God it looks so awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Got this today and love it so hard. Not only am I filled with nostalgia, I get the satisfaction of watching enemies explode and see their guts fly everywhere. You start a little weak and sluggish, but you can level up your stats and get new signature moves. Signature Moves are just the over-powered attacks that Kenshiro (and other characters) were known for using frequently in the series. You can also meet the conditions for advanced signature moves, like where Kenshiro jams his thumbs on either side of the enemy's neck... he then uses his famous "You're already dead..." line before the enemy explodes violently. I LOVE IT.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Picked this up today. Will try it after dinner. I'm expecting tons of people-sploding.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game is way better than the demo lead me to believe. I'm glad I went ahead and bought it, I'll probably never see a copy again.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I gotta admit I am pleasantly surprised by this. It really feels nothing at all like dynasty warriors or anything. Closer to Streets of Rage in fact. I really like the slow and deliberate feel of the controls as well it works really good for one on one fights as well as group fights.

It handles the source material really well and it really does feel like they put a lot of effort into the game. I thought I wouldn't like the english voice overs but they are also done really well. The biggest surprise to me though was the fact that this game is really fucking hard!

I started on hard thinking "Pssh this is gonna be like dynasty warriors and gonna be a snooze fest on normal" but damn I was getting my ass handed to me in the first level. Even on normal there are times when you get just get the shit kicked out of you. It really isn't all that far removed from god hand and you need to keep an eye open and be ready to block or dodge whenever.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I gotta admit I am pleasantly surprised by this. It really feels nothing at all like dynasty warriors or anything. Closer to Streets of Rage in fact. I really like the slow and deliberate feel of the controls as well it works really good for one on one fights as well as group fights.

It handles the source material really well and it really does feel like they put a lot of effort into the game. I thought I wouldn't like the english voice overs but they are also done really well. The biggest surprise to me though was the fact that this game is really fucking hard!

I started on hard thinking "Pssh this is gonna be like dynasty warriors and gonna be a snooze fest on normal" but damn I was getting my ass handed to me in the first level. Even on normal there are times when you get just get the shit kicked out of you. It really isn't all that far removed from god hand and you need to keep an eye open and be ready to block or dodge whenever.

Just be thankful they give you a shit-ton of health. As long as you focus on AoE attacks, the combat isn't TOO challenging. I haven't gotten very far myself, but I'm on the second chapter with Kenshiro, where he's infiltrating South Cross to fight Shin.

GOD THE NOSTALGIA IS AWESOME.

Fist of the North Star always has been one of the baddest of the bad-ass anime/manga series out there, and I'm glad there's finally a game that delivers on that.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Just be thankful they give you a shit-ton of health. As long as you focus on AoE attacks, the combat isn't TOO challenging. I haven't gotten very far myself, but I'm on the second chapter with Kenshiro, where he's infiltrating South Cross to fight Shin.

Fist of the North Star always has been one of the baddest of the bad-ass anime/manga series out there, and I'm glad there's finally a game that delivers on that.
    The enemies get a lot more aggressive and once the crossbow men and flamerthrower guys show up man it can be tough. That's not even touching on the elite guys like the spiked armor guys who hurt you if you punch them (can only be damaged with aoes or super moves) and the super polearm guys who block every damn thing.

In the beginning it seems you have a lot of health but you can get worn down easily on the longer missions. Health pickups aren't as plentiful and guys do way more damage.

If you go in expecting dynasty warriors where everyone just stands around while one guy attacks you then you will get fucked up. The enemies have no qualms about dog piling you while archers shoot arrows up your ass and flamethrower dudes burn everyone.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tried the demo, the controls were a tiny bit confusing, but I got the hang of it. I think this game is a rental really, I didn't have A LOT of fun, just a bit.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

God hand.

Not officially, but it's the best fist of the north star styled game.

Next is the Arc fighting game. So good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvD26Vbgov0

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The enemies get a lot more aggressive and once the crossbow men and flamerthrower guys show up man it can be tough. That's not even touching on the elite guys like the spiked armor guys who hurt you if you punch them (can only be damaged with aoes or super moves) and the super polearm guys who block every damn thing.

In the beginning it seems you have a lot of health but you can get worn down easily on the longer missions. Health pickups aren't as plentiful and guys do way more damage.

If you go in expecting dynasty warriors where everyone just stands around while one guy attacks you then you will get fucked up. The enemies have no qualms about dog piling you while archers shoot arrows up your ass and flamethrower dudes burn everyone.

Yeah, I had a couple close calls myself. The trick is to instant kill the commanders by using your Super Signature moves, then just focus on the grunts. Charging a group head on and using a dash attack seems to work too. The only real problem I've had is with bosses, but I beat every chapter so far on my first try (I'm playing on Normal). With Nanto type users.... hehe, just kick their asses. Seriously, Nanto users may not have simple instant kills, but holy shit they're awesome with AoE's... Rei is ridiculously fast, and I just unlocked him and Mamiya for Legend mode, hehehehe.

Holy shit, this game is huge. I'm on Chapter 6 with Kenshiro and Raoh hasn't even been introduced yet... since this follows the manga's story pretty well, odds are there'll be a few more chapters for Kenshiro... though I have a feeling that they'll tone down the chapters for the other characters.
    God hand.

Not officially, but it's the best fist of the north star styled game.

God Hand had the ridiculously OP'd protagonist, yes, but it was more of a whacky 3D brawler then an homage to FotNS. Fist of the North Star is a series where serious shit happens, lots of violence and gore, and you feel extremely satisfied when an asshole antagonist pops open like a cherry-juice filled water-balloon.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FInally got my copy and played it over the weekend.

OMG HUGE HANDS

Seriously, they could all crush their own heads. One fisted.

Exploding lungs ++

I wish there was an option to ride the villagers if you wanted.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was looking for an excuse to get back into Dynasty Warrior type games, DW Gundam almost got me but this is a no brainer.

It's ordered, just hope it comes by the weekend.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    atat23 wrote: »
    I was looking for an excuse to get back into Dynasty Warrior type games, DW Gundam almost got me but this is a no brainer.

It's ordered, just hope it comes by the weekend.

Don't expect it to feel like DW tho. For all it's similarities, it plays like a very different game. More like a free-roaming Double Dragon. General fights are bizzare now too.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was not impressed with the Jagi boss fight in the demo and could live without the GoW style fatality QTEs for bosses. Rei is a lot of fun though and I liked the music a lot especially the arrangement of Ai wo torimodose. Anyone know if Silent Survivor is in too? It had better be playing during the final fight with Raoh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLRfE0l66I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCMURW_rr7w

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Moioink wrote: »
    could live without the GoW style fatality QTEs for bosses.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the boss fights. They're really weird and the QTEs are just sort of easy and dumb. I'm not seeing the point of them.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the boss fights. They're really weird and the QTEs are just sort of easy and dumb. I'm not seeing the point of them.

It's not about the QTE's themselves... Kenshiro always finished off bad guys with flashy moves, and the QTE's represent that.

As for Jagi... he's a lame boss. Get past Shin, then we'll talk.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It's not about the QTE's themselves... Kenshiro always finished off bad guys with flashy moves, and the QTE's represent that.

I am past Shin. :?:

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd rather sit back and watch him finish them off than focus my attention (you have to because the punishment for failure is really irritating) on a really simplistic QTE that adds nothing to the game.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

AND IT WAS AN AWESOME FIGHT, RIGHT!?

Seriously, QTE's aside, the boss fights are set up as realistically as possible (for a FotNS game, anyway). They're hard and fun... just the way I like 'em.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    gave the demo of this a spin

it was okay, but not worth a purchase from me

the camera was a mess and the attacks were way too sluggish

they're kind of screwed either way in my mind, because i kept thinking about how much better this would be if they'd adopted a more god hand style of play, and then realizing that nothing could possible out-god hand god hand

the critics will probably tear this to little pieces, though

anything within a mile of dynasty warriors-style gameplay might have well have a scarlet letter attached

Rust on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The demo is really, really bad.

I was ready to cancel my order based on that. And I'm loving the real game. If you thought the demo was 'okay' then you should go ahead and at least rent the game.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    gave the demo of this a spin

it was okay, but not worth a purchase from me

they're kind of screwed either way in my mind, because i kept thinking about how much better this would be if they'd adopted a more god hand style of play, and then realizing that nothing could possible out-god hand god hand

the critics will probably tear this to little pieces, though

anything within a mile of dynasty warriors-style gameplay might have well have a scarlet letter attached

Critics already are.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited November 2010

This is my big beef. That camera is a nightmare, it just REFUSES to move and the characters all seem twice as slow as any DW character.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

AND IT WAS AN AWESOME FIGHT, RIGHT!?

Seriously, QTE's aside, the boss fights are set up as realistically as possible (for a FotNS game, anyway). They're hard and fun... just the way I like 'em.

I guess I wouldn't call it awesome. It was... kinda uninspired? Not terrible. Just an early boss fight. Very easy.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jagi was before shin?

The fuck?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Jagi was before shin?

The fuck?

No, Heart was.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

When I tried this game a week ago I kept on trying to use right stick to evade attacks. And its been years I played god hand. :P

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jagi was before shin?

The fuck?

The guy said he fought Jagi in the demo, but Jagi is a lame boss fight. Most of the story boss fights are, in my opinion, fun and addicting... the one with Shin in particular.

EDIT: Which makes me curious how the Kenshiro vs. Raoh fight will be... *drools*.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow I'm at chapter 6 or so and the jagi fight was by far the most boring boss fight. Why they chose that one over shin for the demo is beyond me.

Also I just juggled the piss out of amiba. Its weird they don't mention jump cancelling and stuff like that in the tutorial but they do sort of hint at it in your intrinsic skills. I guess they just assume you'll figure it out.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jump canceling? I know you can dash to stop almost everything.

Is it just me, or is Raoh impossible without a lot of grinding?
    You're trapped inside a tiny area, where it's almost impossible to dodge. He throws giant beam specials at you, that seem as wide as - if not wider than - the entire boos area. I got all the way up to his final (I assume) form, and this is how the fight went : power up, beam, knocked down...stand up, beam, knocked down...stand up, beam, dead.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Raoh is just too badass? :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Raoh is just too badass? :P

He is. True story.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Is Judah playable? The big angry tranvestite guy?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Jump canceling? I know you can dash to stop almost everything.

Is it just me, or is Raoh impossible without a lot of grinding?
    You're trapped inside a tiny area, where it's almost impossible to dodge. He throws giant beam specials at you, that seem as wide as - if not wider than - the entire boos area. I got all the way up to his final (I assume) form, and this is how the fight went : power up, beam, knocked down...stand up, beam, knocked down...stand up, beam, dead.

I didn't grind and sped through the last couple levels and yeah Raoh is tough but it's more or less just a fist fight boiling down to keeping him on the defensive. There really wasn't a trick to it as far as I saw just wail on him and don't let up.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited November 2010

No, but he's in the game. Most likely the final boss for Rei.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

No, but he's in the game. Most likely the final boss for Rei.

Poo. I fought him in Dream Mode.

Magic Pink on