As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Great Penny Arcade Pumpkin Carving Contest 2010

beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
Halloween!
My favorite time of year!

Some folks in the doodle thread voiced that they want a spooky challenge
So I obliged...and then I offered it up to the other mods to other forums and they all agreed...

GIANT CROSS-FORUM PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST!

CHALLENGE!: To carve the most unique/awesome/creative jack o lantern the penny arcade forums has ever seen!

PRIZE
Edit: UPDATE! Khoo is giving a prize for this as well! Wooooo!
Just the knowledge that you are the Penny Arcade forum's official Pumpkin King/Queen for the year of 2010, no big deal.
Also, if they want it, I'll make the winner a custom av/sig/drawing thing, cause I'm not participating, I'm just judging you all...harshly.

DEADLINE
October 28th. Judging will be held between the 28th and 31st, ALL HALLOW'S EVE! Judging will be done in the form of an open poll, so make sure you get over here to vote between the 28th and 31st.

Where do I post?
here! post your pics of your pumpkin in this thread when you're all done. I'll go through the whole thing on the 28th and put all of the contestants in one giant thread... which will make voting easy peasy.

Okay so the rules are... be creative.
I don't want to see just generic drawings of jackolanterns, make them interesting, blow our minds, try something new, experiment.
Actual pumpkin carvings are ideal... and i can't imagine a drawing will win over a real pumpkin carving, but hey, submit what you can.
concepts/plans for pumpkin carvings will work too
carving something other than a pumpkin... also neat!
wanna carve a virtual pumpkin in 3d? go for it

here's some inspiration:

http://kimandjason.com/blog/2009-10-23/27-awesome-jack-o-lantern-pumpkin-designs.html

cannibal31.jpg

darth-vader-pumpkin1.jpg

hamburger-pumpkin-carving1.jpg

puke1.jpg

Have fun! and get creative guys!

beavotron on
«134

Posts

  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Whoa. It took me a while to figure out that the burger was, in fact, a pumpkin.

    D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SWEET. :^:

    NightDragon on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hooray!

    PROX on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    YES! Thank you, Beavo! (and ND for suggesting this challenge)

    Time to get my hands dirty!

    Paradise on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, I'm stumped on this one. I've been doodling all day and I've got nothing worth following up.
    Why can't someone do a static, dull and lifeless challenge? I think I'd have a pretty good shot at winning a contest like that.

    Mustang on
  • Options
    MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That third image makes me hungry for a pumpkin burger!

    Honestly that's not something I'd ever think I'd be hungry for.

    MuddyParasol on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    :cry:

    Stop trying to win; just have fun.

    Paradise on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dunno beavo, we might catch some flak from Herr Skellington for using his title.

    (totally gonna do this after midterms)

    Tam on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this just got opened up to other forums. tube's gonna make an announcement.
    ac, all i can say is make me proud

    naw i'm already proud of you guys, we're an ace subforum.

    beavotron on
  • Options
    XyzzyXyzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am completely in on this, assuming I can find a pumpkin

    And pass my midterms

    You might just get my neurochemistry notes carved into a pumpkin

    Xyzzy on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A very mean humanoid pumpkin smoking an expensive cigarette while ignoring a child who is asking for candy.

    MKR on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ohsweetYEEEESSSSS I was actually planning on advertising it on the other forums too hahaha....glad you thought the same! :D

    *Jennifer is so excited*

    NightDragon on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Xyzzy wrote: »
    I am completely in on this, assuming I can find a pumpkin

    And pass my midterms

    You might just get my neurochemistry notes carved into a pumpkin

    hang on a second... you're doing neuro in school?

    ... and your work kind of reminds me a little of mine... are you... me?

    beavotron on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Xyzzy just opened.. The Scary Door.

    D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    XyzzyXyzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wait what

    ... spooky.

    If it makes things less scary, officially I'm finishing a psychology degree. I took a bunch of neuro courses because they seemed like more fun ... I was pretty close to stopping for a while. I've regained enthusiasm for it.

    This means you're also a neuroscience person?

    Xyzzy on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man I am awful at carving pumpkins.

    Oh well. I'm totally going to try anyway!

    Bucketman on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you're all boned, my family is famous for amazing punkins.

    Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll try and get a pumpkin in for this, seeing as I carve one for Halloween every year anyways. Looking forward to seeing what this crazy forum comes up with.

    Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    you're all boned, my family is famous for amazing punkins.

    But are you?

    bombardier on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited October 2010
    whoever wins this i will also contribute a special prize. i'm not sure what it is, but it will be some thing.

    Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aww sweet thanks khoo!

    beavotron on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Xyzzy wrote: »
    wait what

    ... spooky.

    If it makes things less scary, officially I'm finishing a psychology degree. I took a bunch of neuro courses because they seemed like more fun ... I was pretty close to stopping for a while. I've regained enthusiasm for it.

    This means you're also a neuroscience person?

    Yeah I studied neuro/ bio when I was in university, not art. WEIRD! It's weirder still to me that your style is really similar to what mine was when I was in school...
    Are you a girl? With brown hairs? Who is Greek? And is it 2004 where you are?
    Because if so...I'm freaked out for real.

    beavotron on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm in for sure now!

    m3nace on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bombardier wrote: »
    you're all boned, my family is famous for amazing punkins.

    But are you?

    i am!

    Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aw man. I love Halloween and jack o' lanterns and all around spooky fun. I'm in. Do we need to sign up? Or do we just post our pumpkin photo by the 28th?

    anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    just post ya pumpkins!

    beavotron on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Please. This is a sfw thread, beavo.

    D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    git dem punkins out.

    now i wanna record a halloween themed rap song

    YO! THIS IS PHAT CANDY SACK RECORDS, SON! UP IN YO MUFUCKIN GRILL WIT DA NEW SPOOKINESS!

    Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ...that would be amazing.

    beavotron on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My two year old just helped me carve his first jack-o-lantern. Ya'll are screwed.

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm gonna kick your two-year-old's ass

    Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've never carved anything except some radical waves while I was being awesome.
    But I promised Lady Mustang that we will carve a pumpkin this year, I'll post the inevitable shit storm of pulp and pips here.

    Mustang on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Awesome.

    Was planning on picking up a pumpkin tomorrow. Now will have to get the biggest, roundest, most perfect pumpkin man did ever see.

    MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aw man I don't even know where I would go in LA to find a pumpkin.

    Are you making one beavo? If you find a place to buy/grift pumpkins around LA, will you lemme know?

    Of course then I'll have to buy a sharp knife, since I don't think the plastic ones I've been using for the past month will quite "cut it", if you catch my drift.

    Man, Halloween is hard.

    Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    naw man i'm running this business, i'm not participating
    but if i see a pumpkin, i will snatch it up for you

    beavotron on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good, one less person with talent to worry about

    Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    XyzzyXyzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm assuming only one entry per person? I've got a couple different ideas.

    beavotron wrote: »
    Yeah I studied neuro/ bio when I was in university, not art. WEIRD! It's weirder still to me that your style is really similar to what mine was when I was in school...
    Are you a girl? With brown hairs? Who is Greek? And is it 2004 where you are?
    Because if so...I'm freaked out for real.

    I am a girl with brown hairs!

    But I'm not Greek, so crisis averted? The art thing is still weird

    I suppose if we were meeting our past/present selves we would have both ceased to exist or something equally disastrous

    Xyzzy on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Xyzzy wrote: »
    I'm assuming only one entry per person? I've got a couple different ideas.

    beavotron wrote: »
    Yeah I studied neuro/ bio when I was in university, not art. WEIRD! It's weirder still to me that your style is really similar to what mine was when I was in school...
    Are you a girl? With brown hairs? Who is Greek? And is it 2004 where you are?
    Because if so...I'm freaked out for real.

    I am a girl with brown hairs!

    But I'm not Greek, so crisis averted? The art thing is still weird

    I suppose if we were meeting our past/present selves we would have both ceased to exist or something equally disastrous

    well i've pretty much already decided you're bizarro me... so..... hey there, bizarro me!

    beavotron on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Houk wrote: »
    Aw man I don't even know where I would go in LA to find a pumpkin.

    Are you making one beavo? If you find a place to buy/grift pumpkins around LA, will you lemme know?

    Of course then I'll have to buy a sharp knife, since I don't think the plastic ones I've been using for the past month will quite "cut it", if you catch my drift.

    Man, Halloween is hard.
    Are you serious, Phoenix?! LA's never had a pumpkin shortage that I know of. You can get them at supermakets, holiday pumpkin patches, etc. all over the city. :P

    Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bogey wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    Aw man I don't even know where I would go in LA to find a pumpkin.

    Are you making one beavo? If you find a place to buy/grift pumpkins around LA, will you lemme know?

    Of course then I'll have to buy a sharp knife, since I don't think the plastic ones I've been using for the past month will quite "cut it", if you catch my drift.

    Man, Halloween is hard.
    Are you serious, Phoenix?! LA's never had a pumpkin shortage that I know of. You can get them at supermakets, holiday pumpkin patches, etc. all over the city. :P
    Oh I'm sure they're around, I just have never had the need to get one here. Although for the few supermarkets I've been to the last couple weeks, I haven't noticed any big pumpkin aisles. Nor am I familiar with any holiday pumpkin patches!

    Maybe they are just rolling down the freeways, but I haven't seen them, Paul :p

    PS Taco Tuesday next week! Doooo iiiiitt!

    Houk the Namebringer on
This discussion has been closed.