As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First time to PAX East? - Stuff I wish I had known

• Options
    sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am procrastinating on my novel (woo, NaNoWriMo), so... more tips!

Bit of background on me, so you know where I'm coming from:
    PAX East last year was my first big gaming convention - My 11 years of girl scouting growing up, though, have made it so I need to obsessively over-prepare for anything like this... I'm from Buffalo, but I visit Boston pretty frequently, lately (There as I type, actually). So, not a local... Though I am getting used to this place.

But anyway - So for me, the fact that the subway ISN'T just a straight line is AMAZING. And this 40-45 degree weather they have right now? T-shirt (maaaaybe a long sleeve one, at night) and flip-flop weather... hell, it's flip-flop weather until the snow reaches my ankles.

Putting this first, because it's most important - if you read any of this, it should be this top bit. Some of it's been mentioned before, but it bears repeating. Keep in mind, this is just my own opinion when it gets down to it... I ordered this from what I feel is most important to least important, for all you ADHD'rs like me out there.

Color Guide: POSITIVELY MUST READ! | You probably want to know this. | Eh, kind of important | The Details

3 PAX{East} RULES TO LIVE BY
    1. Wheaton's Law is... Law. - seriously, just DON'T BE A DICK.
      Last year, I found that everyone was extremely nice, as long as you treated them in kind. I had trouble with one person the entire con (my friend that I came with, actually >.<). Everyone I met at PAX{East}? Super nice, even to a space cadet PAX newb like me.

2. 5-2-(2)-1 - Common Con advice is you should have a minimum of:

• 5 hours of sleep
        Might I recommend the hours of 3:30 to 8:30 am? Magic and/or Pokemon can wait until the morning.
      • 2 (actual, balanced) meals - not just a slice of pizza on the go!
        (that doesn't count as a meal, and certainly not a balanced one... even if it's "veggie" pizza. :P)
      • 1 shower

EACH DAY.

But I recommend that you add to that - with 2 liters of water.
      Add some lemon or something, if you're like me and can't stomach plain water easily. But stay away from sugar and carbonation!
      Cheapest way is to bring your own bottle, and either use the fountains or ask food services (nicely! and make sure they're not busy) to fill it for you (I've never had anyone refuse, not even in places like movie theaters) if it won't work with the water fountains. If you can't stand tap water (I sure can't), try a filter cap like this.

3. Enforcers make PAX{East} happen! Treat them awesomely.
      If you lose something, if you're lost... they will be your new best friend. Seriously, it was my first time at any PAX and even I could see that it couldn't happen (at least not to the quality that it is) without them.

• Remember: PAX{East} opens on Friday at 10AM. Opening time has been pushed forward (Yay!) from the original plan of 2pm. Book your hotel rooms and set your alarm clock accordingly.

• Realize now that you will not be able to do everything you plan on doing. Even if none of the panels conflict, even if you swear to wake up early every day, even if you are the latest Companion and have a key to the TARDIS. You will not be able to do everything you plan on doing - Schedules get juggled, alarm clocks fail to go off, multiverses need saving...

Block out your Must-Sees, your Want-to-Sees, and your Eh-that-sounds-cool-but-I-don't-really-care-one-way-or-the-others. Schedule, oversleep, reschedule, cancel, and reschedule (again) accordingly.

• I'm going to go a tad against the grain... I suppose if you're from like, Texas or Arizona or summat, you should ignore this, but if you've ever even seen snow... For those of you worried about winter clothing:

Main suggestion here is, unless you will be outside for long stretches of time, (I'd say, oh, 20 to 30 minutes) just get a hoodie (instead of a big winter coat) and layer (see spoiler for an example):
      Personally, if it's really cold out (and we're talking windchill in the negatives, up to, say 10 deg F... :) ) I wear (in order that I put them on):

• tank top / camisole / wife beater
      • long sleeve t-shirt
      • short sleeve t-shirt (because most of my long sleeves lack amusing sayings... Maybe if my t-shirt is witty enough, someone will finally love me...)
      • hoodie
      • hat (always) / mittens / scarf

As far as coat check/carrying stuff, the long sleeve tee will stash easily in that backpack I mentioned earlier - and most, if not all, hoodies will fit nicely and be fairly secure if you thread it through the two shoulder straps. With something on the thinner side of outerwear, anyway, there's always the option of tying it around your waist.

Also, might I suggest thrifting? Buy a hoodie or summat from goodwill/salvation army, then... if you get really sick of lugging around, you won't mind if it, erhm, "gets lost" :P. Of course, you won't have it to go back at night with, but...
      One thing you might consider in addition to a hoodie, if you're really worried, get something thin but waterproof, like a wind breaker. just like it's not the heat, it's the humidity... it's not the cold, it's the wind chill.

• Pretty much mandatory for EVERYONE though... a warm HAT that covers your ears - so, knitted or fleece, etc., not just a baseball cap! (The reversible fleece hats they sold last year were pretty spiffy...) And for the love of gord, this ESPECIALLY if you have piercings. The metal conducts the cold like no other.

You'd be amazed at how you can get by with a lighter coat, so long as you have an awesome warm hat. And maybe mittens.

• As far as non-outerwear clothing goes: the Official FAQ says to bring a pair of socks a day, plus one extra - really, bring at least two pairs of socks for each day. Carry the spare with you. Middle of the day, your feet are tired (despite those comfortable walking shoes that you're wearing, right?)... change your socks, instant refresher.

• Carry your deodorant with you. Apply (use the restroom to do this, please) whenever you have the slightest thought that it might be necessary. You'll smell better. Plus, it'll help you pick up chicks. Chicks really fall for guys who don't stink.* *Disclaimer: I can say this, because I am a chick. I can also call girls 'chicks', because I am one. If you are not a chick, calling girls 'chicks' comes off as a bit degrading. Of course, as always, your mileage may vary.

• If you haven't booked your hotel room yet (or even if you have, not too late to make changes), remember to factor in the cost of Wi-Fi, assuming your hotel has it. (iirc the main hotel last year didn't have wifi. jeez, get with the new millennium, already.) Sure, the convention center has Wi-Fi, and you're not going to want to be on your computer that much, but when you get back to the hotel, you'll probably want to catch up on blogs, check your e-mail, whatever... right? And (if you're sharing a room) some places only allow 1 device per payment so unless you're willing to let all of your friends use your laptop... that $7-10 (per device) per day will add up really quickly... So perhaps that $180 room is better than the $160 room...

• If your data plan sucks, up your text messages - a lot of things have twitter accounts, and you can just push tweets to your phone.
      TIP: to follow someone 'on the go' (and automatically phone follow them), you don't need to log into the website. Just text "follow <<username>>" to twitter (40404 here in the states? I think?)

...(Last year's intel stuff, I got so many prize cards by just knowing where that guy was going to be from twitter)

Bonus: texts seem to get through a tad more reliably when the circuits are in heavy use, than data or voice does. not guaranteed to be perfect, though.
      If you're from out of the country (or you can't justify changing your plan) consider picking up a prepaid phone from Best Buy or summat, it's cheap.
      A quick look at BB's site shows a gophone for $20, that comes with $15 airtime included. then, you can go to ATT's website and get on a plan that has unlimited voice and unlimited texts (data $.01/kb or $5 for 1mb) for $2 a day, which should cover that weekend just fine.

• If you're planning on seeing any of the city before/after PAX (because heavens know there's too much to do during it, so why would you explore Boston then?) I highly recommend picking up the Not for Tourists: Boston guidebook. And if you plan on taking public transport, HopStop is pretty awesome.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice... Why you'd think it's legal advice, I have no idea. These tips come with no warranty nor guarantee, neither express nor implied. Void on Raxacoricofallapatorius, Magrathea, and Chiron Beta Prime unless otherwise stated. No animals were harmed in the making of this guide, although a novel was severely neglected. This guide sees what you did there. Not for ages 3 and under. For external use only. Game over, moonpie.

sary on
    Twitter: @seryseraphical

PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
  • Options
    Squill2k4Squill2k4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nice post sary! :^: I'll definitely be using alot of the information you provided, thanks!

Squill2k4 on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    sary wrote: »
    Figured I'd chime in:

Making Friends
    Vistaprint (and many similar places) will give you 250 business cards, just pay for shipping. GET SOME. Stick your email address, gamertag, forum name, whatever on them. Hand them out to all the awesome people you will most certainly meet. No need to fumble around with a pen or scraps of paper that will most likely be thrown out accidentally, and no worries about crappy handwriting.

As far as business cards go, PAX East's version of "Buttoneers" is a trading card exchange, so a lot of people will have trading cards. (Thread is here.) Otherwise, you are spot on for a lot of your advice.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Figured I'd chime in:

As far as business cards go, PAX East's version of "Buttoneers" is a trading card exchange, so a lot of people will have trading cards. (Thread is here.) Otherwise, you are spot on for a lot of your advice.

Yeah, my preference for moo cards/reg business cards over them is (1) I can get 500 for under $10, shipped with some google fu (I checked last year, I think the trading cards were far more expensive...? please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to do trading cards, but alas, I am poor.) and (2) can use the extras for other events, without having to explain what PAX is...

sary on
    Twitter: @seryseraphical

PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The cards last year were about $30-35 after we worked out a discount with the printer. I ordered 100 and got probably 150. (there is usually an overrun on your print order)
    They're a lot of fun, and now I have a unique souvenir of the event. (box of everyone else's cards) and some new forum and twitter friends.

Minicards are fun too.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Figured I'd chime in:

Yeah, my preference for moo cards/reg business cards over them is (1) I can get 500 for under $10, shipped with some google fu (I checked last year, I think the trading cards were far more expensive...? please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to do trading cards, but alas, I am poor.) and (2) can use the extras for other events, without having to explain what PAX is...

I have actually used a couple of my trading cards from last year as business cards, and they were very well received. I'm pondering changing my card around (remove the PAX Stuff) and just using these as business cards in the future, they're unique and always a good talking point!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    jowjow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just bought my 3 day pass to PAX East. I am pumped. I have never been to any PAX prior to this one - I've only sat from afar, arms crossed in jealousy.

So, having read a few FAQs, and checked out a bunch of threads I ask for the average PAX Vet's perspective:

Tell us newbies the one (or more) thing you wish you knew before you attended your first PAX. It can be something to bring, something to leave at home, something not to miss, something to avoid, etc.

I'd love to see what you all have to say!

jow on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    doc10.jpg
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wear comfortable shoes.

Have a plan but don't be afraid to deviate.

North on
  • Options
    SoberChefSoberChef Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I too shall be popping my cherry @ PAX East this year as it is my first convention of any kind, same goes for my wife! I am over joyed and super excited as to what awaits my eyes to behold in the spectacle that is PAX! Heck, I'm having a hard time just waiting to see who will have panels and booths set up...just have to be patient I suppose.

SoberChef on
  • Options
    61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Water. Snacks, preferably high-energy, low sugar (sugar will just cause you to crash). Bag or pack for swag/purchases. A NDS of some variety (no really, you'll want one).

Some other things depend on your age and/or physical condition. I'm an older guy and, frankly, sitting on anything less than luxuriously cushioned floors for more than 30 seconds causes my ass to hurt. I bring a collapsible camping pillow to sit on. Ibuprofen helps with aching muscles and joints but go light or risk gastro-intestinal distress at the worst possible time (Murphy's law).

61Ranchero on
  • Options
    LoweryiLoweryi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If there's a panel that looks crazy popular and is run by very awesome people, get there an hour (or maybe even more) ahead of time if you want to make it. Especially if it's in a small theater.

Last year, my biggest highlight-to-be was the Naughty Dog panel, but I was at the Q&A and even though I got there half an hour early, it was already completely filled.

Loweryi on
  • Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1. Definitely bring any portable system that you enjoy playing and might enjoy playing with others. If you have room to keep it in a trunk of a car or hotel room, bring larger things like 40k armies and the such, so if you do see a game, you can run out and get it real quick.
    2. Bring a camera if you have one ( but I wouldn't suggest a big one, because it might become cumbersome in the long run, unless you're really into photography ).
    3. There will probably be a high amount of impulse shopping.. bring money.
    4. Don't be afraid to talk to people.. everyone is there for pretty much the same reason, so they'll probably answer anything you have to say eagerly.
    5. I bring a small notebook ( like reporter style ) and pen, because there's always new things that I see that I don't want to forget. ( or new people that you meet's email or whatever )
    6. I also bring snacks and drinks in my backpack. There were many times that I was planning on going to get something to eat at a specific time like 6pm, and ended up into something that I didn't want to leave, and the next thing you know, it's 9pm. And gaming hungry is never a good thing.
    7. Don't be afraid to enter tournaments for fun. Especially tournaments for board games. About 80% of the people in the tournaments are doing the same thing. There are exceptions of course, like Street Fighter, where it's more like 80% are hardcore players. But even then, it's still fun to participate.
    8. If you can't find something that you're into, ask. There's probably 50 people doing it in a room somewhere, and you just happened to miss it.
    9. Have fun!

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Last year was my first PAX and the one thing I learned is to relax and have fun! Lines will be long, you will at some point not make it into something you REALLY wanted to see / do, but just remember if you didn't make it into that one thing you thought you just had to do, there's a really good chance that you can find something else that's equally as awesome, you just don't know what it is at that moment!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Engage in the community! Obviously you're on the right track with this thread. Don't be afraid to show up to meetups or impromptu gatherings. :)

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So far there is a lot of really useful information being shared, I want to thank each of you for taking some time out to share your experience. :) I plan on bringing my NDS and a few of my favorite Magic: the Gathering decks.

jow on
    doc10.jpg
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh also

Six years in and I still forget to bring a poster tube every year and any posters I pick up always get mangled before I can get them home. Poster tubes are for posters.

North on
  • Options
    MaxNVMaxNV Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For food: I don't know if the situation is the same in Boston as Seattle but don't be afraid to walk a few blocks from the convention centre. A 5 minute walk could save you from a 25 minute wait.

MaxNV on
  • Options
    RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Remember that this not just a convention, it's a festival. Like they talk about in PATV, 80% of PAX is what the community brings to it.

Don't be afraid to talk to people or try something new.
    Be engaging, get involved.
    Challenge yourself and others (be nice about it).
    Explore every inch of the convention center. You'll never know what you might discover.
    Take part in the pre-PAX events. You'll make friends and have people to look for when you're at the con itself.
    If you're the drinking type, watch your Twitter feeds for awesome meetups at local bars. Some companies will open a tab for whoever shows up.
    HYDRATE. HYDRATE. HYDRATE.
    Pace yourself, but make the most of the weekend. Three days seems like a lot of time but Friday morning will quickly lead to Sunday night before you even know what happened.

RDubb on
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Almost forgot: carry hand sanitizer! I don't want another PAX SARS at Boston.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    In regards to money, how much is enough *roughly estimated* and is a debit/credit card acceptable instead of free floating cash?

Food wise, I already checked out for places in Chinatown, The Gourmet Dumpling Restaurant on Beach Street looks like it has some solid choices for good eats.

Backpack/messenger bag...sounds like there is a lot to be had there, should I be expecting to go back and forth to my car multiple times? If so, then should I skip on the valet parking?

What exactly is for sale there anyways? I have heard everything from gaming themed stuff to comics to movies...?

SoberChef on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    SoberChef wrote: »
    In regards to money, how much is enough *roughly estimated* and is a debit/credit card acceptable instead of free floating cash?

Food wise, I already checked out for places in Chinatown, The Gourmet Dumpling Restaurant on Beach Street looks like it has some solid choices for good eats.

Backpack/messenger bag...sounds like there is a lot to be had there, should I be expecting to go back and forth to my car multiple times? If so, then should I skip on the valet parking?

What exactly is for sale there anyways? I have heard everything from gaming themed stuff to comics to movies...?

For Money: I would suggest having a carry amount that you replenish every day. There are the occasional vendors that do not take credit cards, so having some cash on hand is a good idea. Most though do take cards, so don't feel like you need too much. I am refraining from putting out a $ amount because people shouldn't be advertising how much $ they are carrying around ;).... but a food court meal is likely < $10, and tshirts and whatnot are usually < $25 so that should be a decent guide for what you might encounter that would need cash.

Bag: padded double strap backpacks are the best thing possible for a long day at the con. They are far superior to messenger bags for overall comfort (this has been discussed in some other threads). I would prefer never needing to go back to a vehicle/hotel, but you shouldn't have trouble accessing your car if you are parking on-site.

Merch: If it's game related, it's for sale. The one exception might be new video games, I haven't seen much of that. Lots of tabletop/card vendors, hobby shop vendors (comics, minis), shirts, books, posters, hats, hoodies, bags, scarves... the musical acts usually have their albums on sale.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to echo the whole "get there early for panels" sentiment that was mentioned above. Even if you wouldn't think it will be a popular panel, get there as early as you can. Last year I wanted to go to the GeekDad panel, and was shocked when I showed up 40 minutes before it started that it was already filled to capacity. And I didn't think that the GeekDad panel would be that big of a deal.

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SoberChef wrote: »

How much is enough? Depends on you, really. I took $150 cash to prime for both the pubcrawl and merchandise and I spent so little on merch that it was enough to pay for a few cabs as well. For you merch might be a huge draw and it'd be more like $150 a day. Basically if you can think of a ton of little niche things like old games or collectibles or toys or similar that you would love to spend money on if you saw it, bring more cash than you think you'd need.

I carry a messenger bag but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I picked up barely any swag and carried only ds, cell, wallet and by day two my back and neck were sore and thrown off by the unbalanced weight for so long.

cabsy on
  • Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you have a smartphone, install a twitter client on it. This way you can communicate with friends better as well as get updates from @PAX_lines and @Offical_PAX for convention updates. Plus I think there are hashtags for certain areas (tabletop, console freeplay etc) that are used for people looking for other people to play with. Bring your charger. Depending on the battery life and use on your phone you'll want to charge it when you have some down time, whether it be in lines or anything else.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you want to participate in any D&D event during any day of PAX, sign up immediately upon arrival on Friday. They may be more prepared to handle large demand this year, but last year the sign-up sheets filled up within hours.

Don't get dehydrated. It is a lot easier to do than you realize, especially when you are excited and trying to do everything.

Don't be afraid to ask if you can hop in on a game with people. You will have fun, win or lose.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stuff to bring:
    - Your own snacks, especially if you can be a little bit of a picky eater like me and end up craving veggies if you don't have them for a day or so, haha. Water is essential.
    - Portable gaming is a must - bring games w/ multplayer. If you don't have any, pop into the chats and draw stuff (Memorable moments: someone we swear must have been Bill Amend drawing Foxtrot characters while we waited in the line for his panel, "Awwwww" DS chat closeup during Paul and Storm's concert while they were getting increasing fed up with us and our sympathetic "awwwww"-ing, lol).
    - Other portable game options: Zombie Dice, Cthulu Dice, card games, good ol' fashioned pen and paper...
    - Camera of some sort, making sure there is room for tons of pictures...you'll never know when photo ops will pop up!
    - Extra batteries or chargers if you have the space in your bag; outlets are hot commodities.
    - Money, both paper and plastic. Bring more than you'd think you need, but for heaven's sakes set a limit somewhere and make sure you can pack everything when it's time to leave *wink*
    - A decent sized bag with some secure, zippered pockets. Make sure you can secure your important items (keys, money, swag, etc) where they cannot be easily swiped or pick-pocketed.
    - A good attitude and the expectation to have fun with a wide variety of awesome people

What to leave at home:
    - Any preconceptions you have about "geeks" and "nerds," because we all run the gamut of extremes (or non-extremes, or semi-extremes...) here ;)
    - A bad attitude

The big thing I learned last year is plan, plan, plan. Study the schedule when it becomes available. Create a main plan of attack as well as some backups if something falls through. Prioritize.
    Example: Panel B sounds really interesting, but you have your heart set on Panel C, which immediately follows Panel B timewise. Expect to pass on Panel B so you can wait in line for Panel C: last year, if you were in the room already for the previous panel you were required to exit and then get in line, which was almost always overflowing at that point.

Also, I highly recommend dressing in layers. Last year, some rooms were unbearably hot, others were awfully cold, and outside was a bit nippy. Boston weather is liable to go from one extreme to the next: March can be both unseasonably warm or snowy, and can change between the two in as little as a day. Be prepared to shed and add layers several times a day.

Okay, think I'm done for now...that last one, though: very important.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    Also, I highly recommend dressing in layers. Last year, some rooms were unbearably hot, others were awfully cold, and outside was a bit nippy. Boston weather is liable to go from one extreme to the next: March can be both unseasonably warm or snowy, and can change between the two in as little as a day. Be prepared to shed and add layers several times a day.

This is the truth. I remember freezing during one of the tournaments, and my friend was a big pal and ran back to the hotel room for me to get my jacket. Total life saver.

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SWAG: How much do you plan to get, and how do you plan to get it home? If you're like me, as much as you can carry and then some. Last year, I didn't think ahead for this. Me and some friends ended up having to scramble to ship back our swag since we couldn't cram any more in our suitcases.

-Leave extra room in your suitcase for items you'll be taking home.

-Scout out a Fedex/shipping location in advance.

P.S. As far as the panels being over-filled last year, I am hoping that since we are at a much larger venue this year, this will be a lot less of a problem. :)

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    SickSick Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Like what was stated, wear comfortable shoes!

The new Zig-Tech's from RBK look promising :)

Make sure you bring a little bit of cash too as the eateries around this convention will be a little more accessible [and better] than walking through the Prudential Center in '10.

Be enthusiastic - everyone is there to have a fun time and thats what always happens.

Also, don't be offended by our dropped R's... we basically have our own language up here in 617 so if you don't understand when we say Cahh or Pahhk or other devious Bostonian words... Well, you'll tag along eventually.

And

It was chilly near the end of the convention last year so make sure if your lurking around after hours to be warm as it is still a little chilly in mid-March up here.

Sick on
  • Options
    RobTremorRobTremor Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    This is not meant to be funny. Pack and use deodorant. This should be one of the items included in the goodies bag given out as you enter the show. Think about it, lots of people tightly pack together having fun...don't be the person who smells like a bag of whoppers.

RobTremor on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RobTremor wrote: »
    This is not meant to be funny. Pack and use deodorant. This should be one of the items included in the goodies bag given out as you enter the show. Think about it, lots of people tightly pack together having fun...don't be the person who smells like a bag of whoppers.

I was going to say the same thing, echoes of the keynote last year. Remember to shower everyday!

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was going to say the same thing, echoes of the keynote last year. Remember to shower everyday!

And if you want some really awesome smelling, kinda deluxe toiletries...hop on down to LUSH on Newbury St. (and stop at Newbury Comics while you're in that area)!

Almost as important as showering: don't go overboard on your fragrance/cologne of choice. No AXE-bombs, please. Bathing in perfume/cologne is not a viable alternative to showering. Some people are sensitive to that stuff.

EDIT: Upon re-reading, this sounds kinda jerky. I've never had problems with the former issue. And I only mention buying stuff because I personally don't pack much shampoo, soap, etc so I can save some room...it's easier to buy at my destination. And Newbury St. is visit-worthy in any case.

In all seriousness though, I do remember a few times last year where I was overwhelmed by cologne, etc. I don't what it is, but I am extremely sensitive to certain colognes, especially AXE. I emit a sneeze-storm and almost instantly tear up. I'm just kindly asking people to be mindful of other convention goers who, like myself, may be more sensitive than the rest to strong scents.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    RobTremor wrote: »

This is perhaps one of the most insulting things you can say. This topic has been beaten to death on this forum. People who are going to use deodorant will, people who won't, won't. Your post on this forum isn't going to suddenly encourage the handful of hygienically challenged people out there to change their ways. It just insults those of us who know better.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    RobTremorRobTremor Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    The reply was not meant be insulting. It just may not be the first thing on a PAX attendees' mind in the midst of packing or getting ready on one of the convention days. No one specifically was being called out. It was just an honest answer to the topic question. I am truly sorry if anyone was offended but I stand by my reply.

RobTremor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    By the way...I know how you Bostonians LOVE Dunkin Donuts, as do I...there will be at least 5 in the convention center right? :D

Thank you all so very much for all the information, I'll be coming from upstate NY and not leaving til Monday anyways, staying with family that lives just south of Boston so that saves $$!!!

SoberChef on
  • Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    Almost as important as showering: don't go overboard on your fragrance/cologne of choice. No AXE-bombs, please. Bathing in perfume/cologne is not a viable alternative to showering. Some people are sensitive to that stuff.

THIS so much!! While fragrance may smell good when you're out and about, a bunch of competing smells in one area is worse, in my opinion, than BO, but maybe that's because I'm one of those allergic people who get migraines.

There has been a lot of great information in this thread. I just want to add that you might consider heading back to your room at some point during the day and taking a siesta. PAX can be really tiring, especially if you get really involved in community events, and there is nothing wrong with kicking your shoes off for a bit and taking a nap.

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    THIS so much!! While fragrance may smell good when you're out and about, a bunch of competing smells in one area is worse, in my opinion, than BO, but maybe that's because I'm one of those allergic people who get migraines.

There has been a lot of great information in this thread. I just want to add that you might consider heading back to your room at some point during the day and taking a siesta. PAX can be really tiring, especially if you get really involved in community events, and there is nothing wrong with kicking your shoes off for a bit and taking a nap.
    Yup, since I'm staying on site a siesta will be in the cards for me I think lol

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    edited January 2011
    More great replies. I am genuinely glad to see the enormous response to this thread. I can't say I found myself offended by the hygiene posts - I feel like you would only get upset if you actually stink! Ha ha.

jow on
    doc10.jpg
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    The subject has been done to death, and only turns into arguments.

I would also be careful who you're accusing of stinking.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Exodus1 wrote: »
    P.S. As far as the panels being over-filled last year, I am hoping that since we are at a much larger venue this year, this will be a lot less of a problem. :)

Aren't there also more people coming, though? Not that I want them to fill up again like they did last year, but bigger venue + more people != less over-filling. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter