As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First time to PAX East? - Stuff I wish I had known

• Options
    smitht2ncc1701smitht2ncc1701 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Any news on the "shuttles" to and from the event and various hotels listed on the pax site?

smitht2ncc1701 on
  • Options
    redshoepaulredshoepaul Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MagnifiedX wrote: »
    For those of you driving in, http://boston.bestparking.com is your new best friend.

Still, the best bet is public transportation. Or walking since everything is near.

redshoepaul on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MagnifiedX wrote: »
    For those of you driving in, http://boston.bestparking.com is your new best friend.

Still, the best bet is public transportation. Or walking since everything is near.

Getting dropped off at a T station on Thursday night after I get off work! Don't have to worry about parking or anything, and all is well.

TheAggroCraig on
  • Options
    spyriousspyrious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's been said a lot before, but definitely make sure you eat. Last year was my first PAX, and my two friends and I were so overwhelmed the first day that we missed dinner. We figured we would get food at the McDonalds that was on the walk back to the Holiday Inn Brookline, where we stayed, but it seems like that area of Boston closes at around 10pm.
    Gaus wrote: »
    4. Don't be afraid to talk to people.. everyone is there for pretty much the same reason, so they'll probably answer anything you have to say eagerly.

I agree with this. Last year, my friends were in line for one of the D&D sessions, and started up a conversation with the guy in front of them. After a bit, he asked if they could hold his place in line if he went to go buy a board game for to play while they waited. They of course agreed and had fun playing a game while waiting in line to play another game.

Also, go see Paul & Storm. I had never hear any of their stuff before last year's PAX East, and they had the best live performance all weekend.

spyrious on
  • Options
    spyriousspyrious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    jow wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    The subject has been done to death, and only turns into arguments.

I would also be careful who you're accusing of stinking.

Don't get it twisted, man. I wasn't taking a shot at you. It seemed like maybe you were getting defensive on my behalf - as if to say, you don't need to tell the new guy he should wear deodorant. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't offended.

Pertinent - some games questions..

DS games - what are the must haves?

Magic: The Gathering - mostly casual? lots of type 1? just bring your 3 favorite decks kind of thing?

Send me a message if you want me to send you the pdf of M:TG events from last year.

There was a big range of events but most seemed to be draft/sealed-style. There were 1 or 2 standard constucted tournaments per day. If you want to bring your decks, there will be plenty of people to sit down and play random games with. I'm going to go out on a limb as say that it will probably be a little less casual-friendly this year now that Scars really complicated things compared to last year when we were at M10, Zendikar, Worldwake.

Last year, it was really casual and fun. I participated in a 2v2 minimaster tournament on the last day and didn't really run into hardcore tryhards until I was in the top 8 (I didn't belong x.x).

The events this year are going to be structured differently according to the organizer, Tom. There's a thread about it here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=135155

In any case, I spent a good deal of time in the Magic area last year, and it was very fun and casual, minus the standard for a 360 tournament. The Sealed FNM is a really good event if you're willing to pay and take up the time (something like 4-6 hours depending on number of rounds.)

I also participated in one of the minmaster events, but in the single person rather than the 2v2. I would highly suggest these, even though Tom says they will be run differently this year, with one pack to start off rather than two. It's a cheap, fun, and very laid back format.

spyrious on
  • Options
    spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have been to the last 3 PAXs (Prime 09, East 10, Prime 10) but I would not call myself a vet by a long shot but I have learned A LOT and I put in A LOT of research into the trip since this is my real big trip of the year so maybe I can be of some help:

This is some Gear I use:

Soft Shoes - I actually buy some cheap soft shoe beforehand just because you will be walking, standing, or waiting at times and you want to be comfortable and not worry about them getting ruined

Bag - I user an RvB messenger bag but that just me. It good for holding lighter items, use with caution.

Smart Phone - I have some apps to keep me posted on twitter updates. follow @pax_lines to help with line details and some apps to see whats going on when (PAX assistant)

Camera - If want to keep your own memories (what you use is your personal choice)

Line Game - Now this could be a DS, PSP, Game Gear, Card Game, etc. First time, I was in pax I didn’t bring anything to keep busy in the lines which wasn't a big problem because people show me how to play munchkin, fluxx, etc. I host a game of Monty Python Fluxx now.

Things to bring:

A open mind – don’t be afraid to go outside your gaming comfort zone and feel free to jump into a game especially if some fellow PAXer invites you into the game (look for monty python flux)

Asprin for headaches (can be picked up at location)
    Earplugs for concerts (can be picked up at location)
    Hand Sanitizer (can be picked up at location)
    Pen and Paper (can be picked up at location)

Pre-PAX

I take some vitamin c stuff and some vitamins previous to PAX to boost the immune system. I try to get tons of rest (if can sleep).

Hope this helps.

spiderz13 on
  • Options
    OnagaOnaga Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    First PAX... I got talked into it. I'm quite excited. It will surely be a good time.

Onaga on
  • Options
    MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Onaga wrote: »
    First PAX... I got talked into it. I'm quite excited. It will surely be a good time.

Hey buddy, welcome to PAX!

MagnifiedX on
  • Options
    OnagaOnaga Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks bud, I'm trying to look up other things to do. Something for entertainment while walking around, so I'm not glued to a handheld gaming system.

Onaga on
  • Options
    luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    bump as this topic deserves a sticky not death by obscurity.

lucek on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Because we had two threads that were essentially the same thing, I have merged them together.

You may now carry on as if nothing has happened.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LibrarianofdoomLibrarianofdoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How early would you suggest getting to the concerts/ what time does the line start? Also, how early should one be on Friday before the keynote/before 10 am?

First PAX, so excited! :D

Librarianofdoom on
    The Princess Who Saved Herself
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    How early would you suggest getting to the concerts/ what time does the line start? Also, how early should one be on Friday before the keynote/before 10 am?

First PAX, so excited! :D

Wait for the schedule to decide.http://east.paxsite.com/schedule.php#sch1

lucek on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    spyrious wrote: »
    It's been said a lot before, but definitely make sure you eat. Last year was my first PAX, and my two friends and I were so overwhelmed the first day that we missed dinner. We figured we would get food at the McDonalds that was on the walk back to the Holiday Inn Brookline, where we stayed, but it seems like that area of Boston closes at around 10pm.

I point this out as people from out of town probably won't know. Boston is not a 24 hour city. The financial district, for example, shuts down at 7pm, and that includes the food places in it.
    I'm sure there are 24 hour stores around, although I don't know their locations off hand except for the ones you need a car to get to.
    There are places that will deliver to the hotel, if you're there, however, although I wouldn't wait until that late to order.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    undead wrote: »
    spyrious wrote: »

I point this out as people from out of town probably won't know. Boston is not a 24 hour city. The financial district, for example, shuts down at 7pm, and that includes the food places in it.
    I'm sure there are 24 hour stores around, although I don't know their locations off hand except for the ones you need a car to get to.
    There are places that will deliver to the hotel, if you're there, however, although I wouldn't wait until that late to order.

Look for a 24 hour Dunkies. A bagel egg and cheese is far in a way better than 90% of what you can get at 1 am. For that matter there are dozens within walking distance. For note to look for anything Google maps is your friend. IE enter the following in the search bar.
    24 hour dunkin doughnuts loc: 415 Summer St, Boston, MA 02210

lucek on
  • Options
    DruxkDruxk Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the info from all of you. I have put off going to PAX for quite sometime. This year it all comes to mighty fruition!

Druxk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    lucek wrote: »

Look for a 24 hour Dunkies. A bagel egg and cheese is far in a way better than 90% of what you can get at 1 am. For that matter there are dozens within walking distance. For note to look for anything Google maps is your friend. IE enter the following in the search bar.
    24 hour dunkin doughnuts loc: 415 Summer St, Boston, MA 02210

I can back up Dunkin Donuts with amazing and affortable breakfast/late snacking. About $5 will get you a bagel with bacon, egg and cheese with a medium hot or iced coffee. Satisfying and will honestly keep you from hunger for a good portion of the day. Or for about $3.50 will get you 2 donuts and a hot or iced coffee. These are combo meal pricing also. So just look at the menu.

redshoepaul on
  • Options
    HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A few additions, (my apologies if I missed these in the other 8 pages):
    Layers are your friend - Yes, it will be cold. Depending on your personal body temperature and the climate you are used to it could be VERY cold. Inside the convention center will probably be lovely, inside some of the other rooms (think PC - FreePlay) where there are lots of machines running and masses of bodies huddled together it can actually get more than warm. I would recommend a good wind breaking outer coat, then a sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt over your bottom shirt. You can check the coat but then you can also tie the outer shirt around your waist if you need to.

Extra Socks - Yes, I'm serious. All you need to do is step in one pothole or snowbank and your socks can become soaked, if your socks become soaked you are at a MUCH higher risk for blisters. I treat cons like I treat hiking, always at least one extra pair of socks, even if it is just a short day trip.

Awesome idea on the business cards. I honestly might throw my AIM handle on my Forum Collectible Card and just run off an extra 100 of them instead.

Holyyakker on
    "Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That reminds me. A $1 ponchos can fit into the bottom of a bag but pull it out and you'll be dry for the walk to the hotel or T station in case of rain. Much better then an umbrella.

lucek on
  • Options
    CaldvanCaldvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Write your name on your pass!

I can not stress this enough. If you lose it/lanyard breaks/whatever, it will likely find its way to lost and found at the Info booth. It is much, much easier to match signed lost passes to people.

This goes for everything, but if you lose your pass PAX is pretty much over for you.

Caldvan on
    [E]
  • Options
    FirelanceFirelance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So this year is my first time to PAX, and I'm only 16 years old.
    Anything I should know? Something to bring? Something to do?

Firelance on
  • Options
    RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

this is incredibly useful, i just took for granted being able to run out at 2am and find a place to grab grub. might be helpful if some locals could throw together a list of fast food joint, 7 elevens and diners in the vicinity that are open late.
    also what time is last call in boston?

RevGutter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    RevGutter wrote: »

this is incredibly useful, i just took for granted being able to run out at 2am and find a place to grab grub. might be helpful if some locals could throw together a list of fast food joint, 7 elevens and diners in the vicinity that are open late.

Again Google is a good resource.
    There is a 7/11 just a few blocks away, the for mentioned Dunkin Donuts', and another one that is a life saver Mobil on the run.
    To review add "loc: 415 Summer St, Boston, MA 02210" to the end of a Google map search to find stuff near the hall.

lucek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This site will help with a lot of convention center questions.
    Looking over the maps is a good idea for everyone.
    Floor 0
    Floor 1
    Floor 2
    Floor 3

lucek on
  • Options
    MangoProjectsMangoProjects Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If I am newbies to D&D, do I also need to sign up for D&D on Friday?

MangoProjects on
    I create images with IMPACT.
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

there was a point of interest map put together, can't seem to find the link to it now, but it had a lot of places to eat around the convention center marked with descriptions and/or links to websites with hours and such. i'm pretty sure the map will be part of the hitchhiker's guide, whenever that's done.

also, last call is usually around 12 or 1am, depending on where you go.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If I am newbies to D&D, do I also need to sign up for D&D on Friday?

If you want to play a wizards run game register Friday morning, pray, or just play with nonproDMs. Then again They've yet to say how many rooms will be dedicated to wizards and the place is huge.

lucek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »

there was a point of interest map put together, can't seem to find the link to it now, but it had a lot of places to eat around the convention center marked with descriptions and/or links to websites with hours and such. i'm pretty sure the map will be part of the hitchhiker's guide, whenever that's done.

also, last call is usually around 12 or 1am, depending on where you go.

Most of Massachusetts, Boston included, has 2AM last call.

lucek on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And now, the Hitchhicker's guide, and also the map.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I know you listed one but the Dunkies at 200 Seaport Blvd # 1 is is a 10 minute walk from door to door.

lucek on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Most of Massachusetts, Boston included, has 2AM last call.

And unfortunately, the subway closes down somewhere between midnight and 1am depending on the line, and cabs can be hard to grab at the 2am last call because cab drivers don't like people throwing up in their cars.

I was talking with a driver some time ago and he said you have better luck grabbing a 2am cab if you wait outside a hotel, restaurant, movie theater, or other place that sets you apart from the bar crowd.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    hutchbackhutchback Newark, DERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Question: Just how bad is the wifi? Is it pointless to try to access it?

hutchback on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    It's not pointless, but don't expect to do anything heavy on it. Checking email and forums should be fine. Wouldn't recommend youtube or other streaming media.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ShaydeShayde Kitchen Staff Supervisor MargaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What about laptops? Should I bring mine?

I haven't signed up for the bring-your-computer event, so wpold it just be a total waste?

Shayde on
    Shayde

Ex-Agent to the Stars, ex a lot of other things too.
    Pax East 2011, 2012 Veteran. 2014 now loading.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shayde wrote: »
    What about laptops? Should I bring mine?

I haven't signed up for the bring-your-computer event, so wpold it just be a total waste?

If you plan on bringing it to the BYOC, then yeah it'll be a waste. If you plan on using it while relaxing around the convention, then yeah, do it up.

redshoepaul on
  • Options
    MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Wouldn't recommend youtube or other streaming media.

Is there a way we will be able to do this? Or should we bring our own source of internet?

I love the Business Cards idea, it is SO funny. I am definitely getting some.

MASeffect on
    lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Concerning cabs:

Considering that most attendees will be either in front of the BCEC or the Westin, I don't think you'll have too many problems other than availability (possible for there not to be enough cabs for everyone).

The last subway train for the orange line is 12:30am. I do not know about the other trains but www.mbta.com will have that info. It'll also have the info for the Silver Line.

As far as the weather goes, it's still too early to tell but a few things to keep in mind based on what's currently on the ground:

1. Someone mentioned a poncho. Not a bad investment, especially where the convention center is right next to the water, meaning it is more likely to rain than snow.

2. Start thinking of waterproof boots. I say this because of the sheer amount of snow now sitting on sidewalks, lawns, and street corners all over the land. When this melts, floods are guaranteed. The BCEC doesn't have the problem of being on a hill, and the crews have probably removed the majority of the snow, but I'd still expect a very wet scenario.

3. Think about how you plan on transporting the stuff you bought or, for GMs, what you plan to bring.

4. General safety tip. Again, I don't see this as a problem around the BCEC, however, look before you cross the street. Snow banks are now taller than an average person and this makes driving hazardous, especially when pedestrians are involved. Don't assume the driver sees you, especially if you're peeking from behind a snowbank.

5. There's a term called Black Ice. Know it, remember it, for it's been making many appearances lately. If the weather holds with the current 'warm during the day and freezing at night' you will know what I am referring to. Just watch where you step and make sure it's on solid ground and not the colorless ice patches that are known to form around here.

Yeah, I know the stay safe routine gets boring, but you can't have much fun at the con if you're in the hospital with a broken leg, so stay safe and enjoy the con.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Red line is around the same time. Plan on catching the last train at south station at 12:15 It's supposed to come at 12:30is but **** happens so be ready.
    But avoid MBTA.com use the Google maps/direction/by public transit. The MBTA site has a bad tenancy to add unnecessary transfers that take time and money. Seriously Instead of telling me to walk a mile to the station and take the train it told me to take 3 buses then hop the redline when I was coming home from a friends house. It's just badly coded and should be avoided at all cost.

lucek on
  • Options
    ShaydeShayde Kitchen Staff Supervisor MargaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So you're saying it's not shorts weather?

Oh curse my Floridian blood. I think I just might freeze up and die. Gotta go buy some pants.

Shayde on
    Shayde

Ex-Agent to the Stars, ex a lot of other things too.
    Pax East 2011, 2012 Veteran. 2014 now loading.
  • Options
    ThatGuyGregThatGuyGreg [E] - Satellite Theater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This site will help with a lot of convention center questions.
    Looking over the maps is a good idea for everyone.
    Floor 0
    Floor 1
    Floor 2
    Floor 3

Here is a good PDF of attendee info - same maps, but with bathrooms, ATMs, etc overlaid on it - also area & transit info. worth looking thru.

ThatGuyGreg on
    I00SuxJ.png