As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't understand how to ship things to apartments

TalkaTalka Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This seems like an obvious piece of common knowledge that I simply haven't picked up on yet, but I need help figuring this out even though it should be simple, so here goes:

I moved into an apartment in San Francisco about a month ago. Before that, I lived in college. Before that, I lived with my parents in the suburbs. In the suburbs, you could ship something to your house, and if somebody wasn't home the delivery guy would leave it in the garage. In college, I could ship things via USPS and pick them up at my post office at my leisure.

At my new apartment, I have no idea how to receive packages. The nearest post office is a 25 minute walk from my apartment, and it doesn't look like very many apartment-dwellers are opening up P.O. boxes anyways. I can ship things to my apartment and hope somebody in my building signs for me, but it's a crapshoot. There's no chance I'll ever be home during delivery hours. I can ship things to my office, but sometimes I need to ship something large, or something I don't feel comfortable shipping to my office. Not even anything particularly embarrassing... just something I don't feel comfortable shipping to my office. Like video games. Or a large rug.

Sooo... what do people do if they want something to get delivered? It seems amazing that we're a nation of such extravagant wealth and we haven't figured out a service to deliver packages at any time other than when everyone is at work. That's silly.

tl;dr: I want to order a cheap 5' x 8' rug off of Amazon and have no idea how to successfully get it delivered to my apartment. What obvious information am I missing here? This should be feasible, no?

Talka on

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It varies from building to building, but generally an apartment building will have a building manager or front desk or someone that will sign for packages. Who do you talk to when something goes wrong with your apartment?

KalTorak on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You're not missing anything. It sucks to live in a secured building and get packages delivered.

Esh on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It varies from building to building, but generally an apartment building will have a building manager or front desk or someone that will sign for packages. Who do you talk to when something goes wrong with your apartment?

I don't think I've ever lived in a building (16 years of living in rentals) with an onsite manager or a front desk. I know they exist, but generally one calls an offsite person and they come to do the work. I'm assuming the OP doesn't have one or he'd have figured that out.

Esh on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have everything shipped to work.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    courier - they come and buzz you if they are able to figure out your buzzer, if not home, they leave a note saying they'll try again.

after X amount of attempts, they hold it at one of their facilities for you to pick up (and leave a sticker / slip near the entrance saying so)

regular gov't post - same thing, but held at the nearest PO.

Deusfaux on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    after X amount of attempts, they hold it at one of their facilities for you to pick up (and leave a sticker / slip near the entrance saying so)

You can also call UPS or Fedex to have them do this, though in my experience they won't do it until they attempt delivery at least once.

Fats on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

I don't think I've ever lived in a building (16 years of living in rentals) with an onsite manager or a front desk. I know they exist, but generally one calls an offsite person and they come to do the work. I'm assuming the OP doesn't have one or he'd have figured that out.

I have an onsite manager here. It doesn't help. She's often out of the office on showings or inspections, and she works weekends and takes Thursday and Friday off. (Which is good, because that means she's actually available when people need her!) So there's a pretty good chance the courier won't get a human being at the office either.

Situation was similar at my last place.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When I lived in an apartment with no front desk, just 6 units with a teeny mailbox in an exposed hallway open to the world, I simply shipped everything to work.

After a while I got to be known as the dude who ordered everything. Hardly an embarrassing title, since I just said it was a lot cheaper and easier for most of this stuff.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, there's several options at your disposal.

1. Ship it to your work.

You're there from 8-5 every day and that also corresponds with when USPS, UPS, and FedEx deliver packages.

2. If you live in a secured building...

a. and the delivery person can't get in...

i. He will leave one of those notes saying he tried to deliver it and will try again the next day; or

ii. He will leave one of those notes saying he tried to deliver it and won't try to deliver it again, so you need to go to the local office to pick it up. USPS, UPS, and FedEx all have local offices from which you can pick up packages; or

iii. He will take your package to the apartment front office and your manager will sign for it. Then you pick up your package from the office.

b. and the delivery person can get in...

i. He will drop it off at your door like he would at a house.

3. If you live in an unsecured building...

a. The delivery person will drop it off at your door like he would at a house; or

b. Take it to the front office and your manager will sign for it. Then you pick it up from the office.

That should cover every scenario available to you.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    edited October 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    When I lived in an apartment with no front desk, just 6 units with a teeny mailbox in an exposed hallway open to the world, I simply shipped everything to work.

After a while I got to be known as the dude who ordered everything. Hardly an embarrassing title, since I just said it was a lot cheaper and easier for most of this stuff.

Shipping is sometimes cheaper to work anyway, because some carriers (like FedEx) charge different rates to businesses than they do to residences.

Feral on

edited October 2010
    Evil_Reaver's post above is good. I'll also add one additional option. UPS Stores and FedEx Kinkos usually have mailbox services. You can pay $20 a month and you get a mailbox there. It's a little nicer than a PO Box because PO Boxes won't accept any carrier but the post office. And besides you get a real street address with a number on it, which can be important for filling out things like job applications.

For a couple of years I had a mailbox at a UPS Store (it was called Mailboxes Etc then) and a phone number with a voice mail company. It basically meant my contact information was all virtual and not tied to my actual residence at all. This allowed me to conduct business out of my home without risking my privacy or having anybody bother me during off-hours.

Feral on

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You left off one possible option. My complex has some package-sized boxes that USPS uses. You get a package, they drop the key in your regular mailbox.

My current complex has that and UPS/FedEx packages get dropped off with apartment management if no one is home.

The last apartment I was in USPS would just drop it at my door, UPS would not deliver without a signature.

EDIT: I think my brother's last apartment gave him a separate address to have packages shipped to, probably the management office a couple of blocks away.

Tomanta on
  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't want to carry a 5' x 8' rug home from work on the subway.

Also, the last time my parents tried to ship me a package, they overnighted it to my apartment, I got three attempted delivery notices (none that mentioned a pick-up location that I noticed, not that I was looking for that), and then they shipped it back to my parents (also overnight). That was weird.

If I ship via Amazon, how do I know I'll be able to pick this package up from a nearby delivery center?

Talka on
    edited October 2010
    The other thing that I do is when I have a personal package delivered to work, I put "PERSONAL" as the first address line and the street address of my work as the second address line.

That way it clearly says "PERSONAL" right under my name.

Feral on

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Talka wrote: »
    I don't want to carry a 5' x 8' rug home from work on the subway.

Also, the last time my parents tried to ship me a package, they overnighted it to my apartment, I got three attempted delivery notices (none that mentioned a pick-up location that I noticed, not that I was looking for that), and then they shipped it back to my parents (also overnight). That was weird.

If I ship via Amazon, how do I know I'll be able to pick this package up from a nearby delivery center?

The notices should have had a phone number on them. You need to call the number to arrange pick up, and they'll tell you where the facility would be that you'd need to pick up at. This is how I got all my packages when I was in an apartment without a manager/front desk. Honestly, I prefered it to my later apartment that had a management office that accepted packages, because the management office hours were more restrictive than the UPS facility, so it was actually harder for me to finally get ahold of my packages.

Daenris on
    edited October 2010
    What are the chances that the delivery center for my package is going to be, like, an hour's walk away?

Talka on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Very low. Typically these things are out in the suburbs and not near mass transit (but are very close to expressways) because, you know, they move stuff via trucks.

But you'd rather walk an hour+ with a rug than take it on the subway? If you're not willing to be seen in public carrying a rug around, maybe you don't really want this rug? Unfortunately one of the problems with apartment living is receiving packages.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited October 2010
    What are the chances that the delivery center for my package is going to be, like, an hour's walk away?

USPS is just going to be the post office that delivers to your area.

UPS and FedEx have distribution centers all over the country. They work like hubs, basically. For example:

1. If you buy something from Newegg.com, Newegg will send a pickup notice to FedEx.
    2. FedEx goes to the Newegg warehouse and picks up the package.
    3. The truck takes it to the distribution hub in Los Angeles (that's where one of the Newegg warehouses is).
    4. The packages goes on a plane and flies, for example, to somewhere in New York.
    5. The package goes on a semi-truck and is driven to another hub.
    6. The package is unloaded and reloaded onto another truck.
    7. The package is driven to another distribution center.
    8. The package is unloaded and reloaded onto a delivery truck.

That last distribution center is where you could go to pick up your package if FedEx can't ever get your signature. UPS works the same way. Someone already mentioned it, but the delivery notice that the delivery guy leaves will have a phone number that you can call and customer service will tell you which distribution center your box is at. I happen to have a UPS distribution center close to my apartment and I live in the downtown area of a large city. I have no idea where the FedEx distribution center is.

USPS works the same way too, but you just use the local post office as the distribution center.

As far as I know, Amazon doesn't allow you to go to their warehouses to pick things up, so you wouldn't be able to do that.

Evil_Reaver on
    edited October 2010
    As far as I know, Amazon doesn't allow you to go to their warehouses to pick things up, so you wouldn't be able to do that.

So Amazon always requires a signature? Can they not ship via USPS?

Bottom line, is my best chance for getting this rug to...

a) ship it to work and take it home on the subway and carry it on my twenty minute walk to my apartment?

or

b) ship it to my apartment and try to pick it up from a delivery center, which may be very far away and which Amazon may not allow?

Talka on
    edited October 2010

a) ship it to work and take it home on the subway and carry it on my twenty minute walk to my apartment?

or

b) ship it to my apartment and try to pick it up from a delivery center, which may be very far away and which Amazon may not allow?

It depends on which carrier ships it to you. I can't remember off the top of my head which carrier (UPS/FedEx/USPS) Amazon uses.

e. It depends on which carrier the dealer picks to ship it to you. Not everything on Amazon is sold/shipped by Amazon.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Depends on who they ship it with.

I live in a big apartment (10 units per floor, 19 floors X2 towers) and almost everyday there is a delivery notice for someone. UPS, Fedex, Purolator and Canada Post all post the sticky saying they attempted delivery and to come pick it up from the closest depot. Luckily, I live downtown so those are all 5-10 minutes away for all the companies. Only once (out of ...15-20 times?) have they ever left it at the on-site management office (in the other tower, though there was 2 feet of snow and -15 C). Another 2-3 times, they leave it at my apartment door (so technically anyone on my floor could walk away with it).

They do the same thing when I was living at home with my parents. Problem was, the closest depot was like a 20 minute drive away.

On Signatures, it depends on the sender if it's required. Pretty sure most stuff I've gotten from Amazon has NOT required a signature.

Gilbert0 on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FedEx has always screwed me over when I've had something fail to be delivered and it went to the depot. The depot was always out in the fucking boonies instead of in, say, downtown Boston. Here in NYC a package went somewhere in the Bronx rather than anywhere near my apartment.

riz on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Theres only so many options here:

1) Get it shipped to work (not ideal for something like a rug if you dont have a car)

2) Have it shipped to home, get them to leave it infront of your door or in the lobby (It will be a checkbox on non-signature required delivery notices for Fedex/UPS, not an option for USPS unless you get a lazy postman and he just leaves it instead of carrying it back to the truck). Never heard of an apartment that doesnt cost $texas having a front desk or receptionist that will accept packages. If you miss the delivery, you go pick it up, either at the UPS/Fedex shipping center, or at the post office.

3) Take a day off work and wait for the package. Sometimes this backfires if you live in a shitty building like mine where none of the postmen buzz up and just leave a notice on the directory instead. Really annoying.

Theres no magic answer for this one, if you want the rug, youre gonna have to make a sacrifice in some way. Personally, i just get 99% of my stuff sent to work, its easier, someones always there to sign.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know that at least the USPS workers in San Francisco have keys for the gates to the apartment buildings, I've seen them on their routes before going through a giant key ring, opening the gate, dropping off mail, and moving on. Whether you are comfortable with them leaving stuff there depends a lot on how well you know your neighbors.

Only apartments in San Francisco I know of with a front desk are the luxury apartments Downtown and out in Mission Bay.

I would just get the rug shipped to work, I've seen people carrying bigger stuff on the bus. Also if you order your games from Amazon or someplace similar, they generally just come in an Amazon box, no embarrassment there.

Fagatron on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if this is any help to you, because I live in Germany. But my packages are typically delivered to small stores/offices/bars around my house. They just sign for it and the package guy slips a note in my mailbox that I can get it at place XYZ. Those places then just check my ID (we have government issued compulsory ID cards) and hand over the package. This is so common here that often the courier doesn't even check if I'm home, they just go straight to a business and unload all the packages for 3 buildings.

Going by this thread, it doesn't seem to be common in the US. But maybe you could just make some sort of deal with a local store/bar/... you're a regular at? Now I realize this could also work with a friend who lives nearby and is home a lot if it's only a one-time thing.

Grobian on
    edited October 2010
    Fagatron wrote: »
    Only apartments in San Francisco I know of with a front desk are the luxury apartments Downtown and out in Mission Bay.

I think a lot of people, including me, are using "front desk" interchangeably with "leasing office."

I live in downtown and my leasing office is a couple of blocks away from my building. The delivery people (mostly) know that if they can't buzz us that they should take the package to the leasing office and someone will sign for it there.

My last apartment was in one of those giant apartment complexes that are really popular in the midwest. The delivery people had access to all of the units, so they would generally drive up to see if we were home. If we weren't, they drove back down to the leasing office and left the undelivered packages with someone working.

Evil_Reaver on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

or

Amazon pretty much never ships via USPS. Even if they did, you don't get to designate your shipper with Amazon. I order from them regularly, and 90% of the items I order come via UPS, maybe 7% via local delivery/messenger service of some sort, and around 3% occasionally come via FedEx. The only items that ever get shipped to me via the latter 2 services are books, dvds, and video games - small stuff.

You can definitely opt to pick up a package shipped by UPS or FedEx at their local shipping center, once they've made at least one delivery attempt. You just need to call them with the tracking number listed on the "Sorry we missed you" slip they'll leave on the main door of your building. I do so pretty regularly now with UPS deliveries.

That said, the local centers for both where I live are 25-50 minutes away BY CAR depending on traffic. I would never even remotely consider walking to either to pick up a package, it simply isn't viable given the distances. You'd really need to determine where your local shipping center is ahead of time (keeping in mind that if it is Amazon itself selling and shipping this item, and not a 3rd-party vendor, it will almost certainly be via UPS).

edit: UPS will often leave a package in the vestibule if you sign the missed delivery slip with a note to leave it inside the door if they can get a neighbor to buzz it open. Even in my building where the individual entranceways only have 6 units to try to buzz that has almost always worked out. You have to be comfortable with your package sitting there until you get home though...

Ketar on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i too am in a similar situation having just moved into a walkup apartment

for now i am shipping things to work, but i dunno what i'll do when i need a big thing

because i have had friends who have missed deliveries at home and had to schlep all the way out to middle of nowhere queens on the subway to get their package

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited October 2010
    Fagatron wrote: »

I think a lot of people, including me, are using "front desk" interchangeably with "leasing office."

I live in downtown and my leasing office is a couple of blocks away from my building. The delivery people (mostly) know that if they can't buzz us that they should take the package to the leasing office and someone will sign for it there.

My last apartment was in one of those giant apartment complexes that are really popular in the midwest. The delivery people had access to all of the units, so they would generally drive up to see if we were home. If we weren't, they drove back down to the leasing office and left the undelivered packages with someone working.

Yeah, I live in the suburbs just south of SF and when I'm referring to the office, I'm talking about the on-site property manager. She's the person I give my rent checks to. She doesn't have a dedicated receptionist, and while she's happy to accept packages for people when she can, it's not really her job.

Feral on