As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Windows Explorer has stopped working" - thanks, Vista

PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly ChickenRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
After over a year of using my computer happily (yes, even with Vista) I turned it on this morning to the error window of "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and everything that goes along with that.
Now I have no idea how to fix this or even what to look for and I figured I'd rather ask you guys than spend $Texas on some crappy call centre.

So, with that said, what's next? Is this a simple fix or a reinstall job? If you need more information about anything then ask away and I'll do what I can to fill you in.

IcdplGM.png
PoultryGeist on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this happens every time you restart windows, i take it? what happens if you type explorer.exe in the start menu search/run box?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes, every time I log in or reboot.
    Explorer.exe just creates another instance ofthe same error window

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does it do it in safemode?

Beazle on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You need to try a Windows Startup Repair. If that doesn't work, generally you will have to install Windows again.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    if you've got a windows disc or partition, you can usually use it to boot and run a repair sort of thing that will fix the system files without messing around with your data. that said, you might want to run a virus scan (eg. mse & malwarebytes) at least first, and maybe a checkdisk to see what's caused it; it's probably either a virus or a failing hdd. you might be able to run them through safe mode (f8 as you're booting).

even if you have to run a repair before you can get anything to work, make sure you figure out what's caused it after the fact, or it'll probably happen all over again

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Startup repair found nothing to repair, I'm running a memory diagnostics tool at the mo to see if that returns anything. If all is well after that and I still get the error I'll try safemode (I didn't realise you could force safemode until reading that post -.- ... I seriously need to get clued up on the inner workings of computers)

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Update: memory had no faults, startup repair found nothing, still crashes in safe mode.

As all I get is a black screen and an error window, I opened the cmd window to run chkdsk on system32. It advised me to run chkdsk with "/F (fix)" so chkdsk/f is currently running and I'll see where that leads

Edit: made no difference, think it's borked. Oh, hi, Windows 7!

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can try running "sfc /scannow" in the command prompt. That scans all system files for errors and will replace them if any are corrupted.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's instructions for performing a repair install of Windows 7 here. Though annoyingly enough it seems to for some reason be more limited than an XP repair install, in that you can't do it by booting from the disc and the disc you use must be the same or newer service pack level as your current install that you're repairing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M0NSTERM0NSTER Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    how long has it been since you reformatted? if it's been a while i would recommend re-installing ur OS, that will fix all ur problems most of the time.

M0NSTER on
    I don't know how to count