As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recording console game footage

NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
Is there a way to record good, clear game footage from a console without simply aiming a camcorder at the screen? Like just about every other nerd out there, I'm going to be doing some reviews, some of them in video format. I'd like to have the footage look more professional than "I'm in my room, the audio is tinny, and you can't see shit due to the glare on the screen."

Nightslyr on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You want some sort of a video capture card. I couldn't make any specific product recommendations, because I don't have one... but I think Hauppauge is a frequently used brand.

Something like this:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cool, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks! :D

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alternately, if 200 dollars is a bit much, you can get something like this, which will do pretty much the same thing except not in high definition.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ^ USB recording devices used to be laggy as hell and really poor for recording gameplay as a result. I'm not sure if the transition from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 alleviated that though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also backing up SmokeStacks here--the lag isn't necessarily a problem? But the quality of video tends to be abysmal.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lag from a USB device can cause issues with certain types of games because (unless you have extra hardware to split the signal between your PC and a separate TV) you'll be viewing the games you'll be recording on your monitor, and there will be a delay as the signal is processed by your PC.

Anything that requires fast reflexes or timed button presses might give you trouble. 300ms isn't going to be noticeable if you're using the capture device as a TV tuner, but that sort of delay will definitely be noticeable when you're playing a game.

edit: If I were you I'd check out the Let's Play archive in G&T, there's a lot of good links there for what hardware and software is good for recording gameplay.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aye, I'm not saying the Hauppauge isn't going to be better, but if it were me (and it was some time ago), I'd be not so inclined to drop a lot of cash on a piece of equipment I didn't know how much use I was going to get out of. Even a basic video capture card is going to be a huge step up from recording the actual screen.

Of course if Night is getting paid for his reviews, it would be a solid investment.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    DOOMocratDOOMocrat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If it's a desktop you are using, you'll be MUCH better served with a PCI or PCI-E over a USB2 capture device. USB2 looks fine, but if you really need smooth motion it's time to pop in a card.

How. Low. Can you go?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007683%20600049972&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

DOOMocrat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ideally, I'd get paid for this down the line. If not, it's still something I'd like to do. In any event, the project is part of my larger business venture, so I can most likely write off the cost of the equipment. $200 won't kill me. Video/audio quality is my biggest concern. I want to get it right out of the gate.

EDIT: I'd have to connect this to my laptop due to the way things are setup in my house. Laptop is ~1 year old (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Intel i7 processor, some sort of ATI graphics card, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Adobe CS4 Master Suite - it's my development machine), so I should be alright there.

Nightslyr on