As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boston Phrases (Game)

2»

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    juju wrote: »
    Hard Mode: Worcester
    Expert Mode: Leominster
    Nightmare Mode: Waltham vs Dedham. It's so easy that it's hard.

The hardest accents to me come from North Shore. Some areas of South Shore can rival it though.

I'm a transplant. I've lived here three years going on four and it's truly landscaped my vocabulary. I think it's fun living up here because every day's an experience - even walking around Downtown Crossing in my NY Jets sweater strikes up a conversation.

I love it here. :)

You forgot Leicester & Gloucester...

Oh god the UK peeps are going to have a field day with this

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    Quick translation
    -er becomes -ah (number becomes numbah)
    -r- becomes -h- (start becomes staht)
    -a becomes -er (Linda becoms Linder)
    Wicked is appropriate to intersperse, Hella is not.

actually, the -a becomes -er bit is a partial misconception. it really only happens when the word is followed by a word that starts with a vowel ("I see Linder all the time" vs "I saw Linda last week")

lived in the boston area my whole life, not much accent myself, but my dad's side of the family's got it bad.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • mahhkkmahhkk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    Quick translation

actually, the -a becomes -er bit is a partial misconception. it really only happens when the word is followed by a word that starts with a vowel ("I see Linder all the time" vs "I saw Linda last week")

lived in the boston area my whole life, not much accent myself, but my dad's side of the family's got it bad.

"my dad's side of the family's got it bad." You make it sound like a debilitating disease! Hahah

I love when the long-lost R's from elsewhere in someone's vernacular end up at the end of words that shouldn't have an R (i.e. Linder).

Whenever I travel somewhere and come back home to Boston, the accents make me feel glad to be home :)

mahhkk on
    Mark Nolan
    Editor, GameKiq.com

XBLA: shattered aura
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha, all I get to come home to for accents is grating NJ soccer-mom kawfee-tawk. Boo and hiss.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This was 6 or 7 years ago, but my friend from Quincy always said "wicket pissah" (wicked pisser).

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited October 2010
    ["my dad's side of the family's got it bad." You make it sound like a debilitating disease! Hahah
    [/QUOTE]

i do, but always with affection <3

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • EvelynEvelyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm from the Worchester area and I say that with love because when you call Woo-town Worchester, someone always gets all fired up. LOL.

Also, Boston is known as Beantown. =P Don't forget GRINDERS. Mmmm...delicious grinders.

As for the accent contest, I've lived here my whole life so I feel that would be cheating. I have a small accent after practiced years of not speaking with one, and a bit of moving.

However, I can crack it out whenever I want. My favorite is when my mother starts a conversation with, "Yestahday was a wicked pissah 'cause...." LOL. Makes me giggle on the inside every time. =)

Evelyn on
  • AurorBKAurorBK Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To clarify, wicked pisser (wicket pissah) can mean something that is awesome OR something that is very difficult.

AurorBK on
    edited October 2010
    so i know this is kind of off topic, but there seem to be a lot of boston (or at least massachusetts) people here so i thought i'd test the waters. anyone interested in organizing a group to brainstorm ways locals can help the pax out-of-towners? so far i've been thinking about a welcome wagon greeting for the pax train folks and designated mbta guides for particular events, but i'm interested in other ideas people might have for using our special local knowledge to help others. any interest? should i start a new thread for this?

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    Quick translation

I'm an NH-er, so our version of the NE accent puts R's all over the place. My dad is terrible about it. The best is the pronunciation of Pumpkin. He refuses to use anything but "Punkin".

schuss on