As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I find Oberon to be overrated. It's okay, but I don't know why everybody loves it so much.

The grocery store I worked at just increased it's selection of craft beers and I picked up one called Racer 5 IPA by Bear Republic. It was a good IPA, but it's references to Speed Racer make it awesome.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't suppose any of you know where I can get a used rum barrel of barrel fragments? I'm thinking it would make a perfect winter ale. If not, maybe I'll try using molasses for second fermentation.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    I don't suppose any of you know where I can get a used rum barrel of barrel fragments? I'm thinking it would make a perfect winter ale. If not, maybe I'll try using molasses for second fermentation.
    You mean for use with a homebrew? Most people just buy oak chips and soak them in rum for a few days, dump the rum, and then put the chips in the beer to soak. Be careful, though, since the flavor comes out of the oak very quickly so you don't want to soak them overly long.

@Magell: Look for Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye. It's delicious. Around 9%, it's got a nice malt backbone to go with the spiciness of the rye and the hop bitterness. So good.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Magell wrote:
    I find Oberon to be overrated. It's okay, but I don't know why everybody loves it so much.

The grocery store I worked at just increased it's selection of craft beers and I picked up one called Racer 5 IPA by Bear Republic. It was a good IPA, but it's references to Speed Racer make it awesome.

Racer 5 is rad stuff. Bear Republic makes solid brews. If you're west coast, try deschutes. East coast, southern tier and dogfish head. Either coast, 21st amendment.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Racer 5 is pretty decent, yeah. I'm a fan.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I've always wanted to homebrew.

I'd need a bigger place... or a basement... or garage... or something.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I wish I had a friend that homebrewed. I have a friend that does the wine thing, but that's not the same.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    So I changed the redjacket a bit. Now it's

Apple Cider Reduction, Lemon Juice, Apple Jack, Spiced Rum, Strega, Amaro Nonino, and Benedictine, with freshly grated cinnamon on top.

I want to do it as a punch!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    pods remind me (PM if you're shy?) where you tend bar and when? I'd love to try that

• Options
    That sounds like an awesome punch, Pods.

It also sounds like bartender hell in made-to-order form :P

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Got a 6-pack of that Walgreens beer just to try it.

It's certainly worth $2.99, though only just with the high booze and sales taxes we have here.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I just picked up a sampler pack of Atwater Brewery beers and I'm excited. I'm drinking their Cherry stout right now and it's really good. Much better than the cherry beer that Sam Adams has that has way too much cherry flavor. I think this being a stout lets the Cherry be a nice compliment to the darker beer.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Made a really tasty autumn pina colada for some Appleton reps today. American brandy, Appleton estate rum, Cointreau, lemon juice, agave nectar, and coconut puree with freshly grated allspice on top. Quite tasty! Called it a snow day.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    I've been thinking of trying to craft a northern mojito by using using maple sugar and subbing out the mint in favor of sage. Any ideas or objections? One thing that's been bugging me is whether to try to loose the lime. I'm not partial to lime, but I can't think of a regionally appropriate replacement. Even the tartest apples wouldn't be tart enough, and I have no idea what cranberry juice tastes like (I'm generally not fond of berries). Mandarin oranges are supposed to be unusually cold resistant, so that might be a start.
    Also, am I the only one in love with Legal's skinny pina colada?

• Options
    So let me make sure I understand -- you want to turn a monjito into a non mojito?

Seriously though, it seems like you just want to make a drink with a winter time appropriate drink with an herb. Generally thats sage or rosemary. I would muddle sage or infuse rosemarey. Cranberry Is quite tart, and you can make a reduction with grapefruit to increase the tartness.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Podly wrote:
    So let me make sure I understand -- you want to turn a monjito into a non mojito?

Seriously though, it seems like you just want to make a drink with a winter time appropriate drink with an herb. Generally thats sage or rosemary. I would muddle sage or infuse rosemarey. Cranberry Is quite tart, and you can make a reduction with grapefruit to increase the tartness.

I was more thinking of making a delocated version. Cane sugar, spearmint, and lime are very distinctive foodstuffs of the Caribbean. Sage and maple are both highly common and somewhat distinctive of New England cuisine. Rum is traditionally produced in both areas, although New England's production died during prohibition. I suppose I'm just making a NEy rum-based highball sour, but the mojito is the most famous member of that family I can think of.
    I would note that this whole thought process started because I like rum but not mint and started thinking about what would be more appropriate with mintiest thing I like.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    If you want to drink a bourbon that's nice straight, I just got a bottle of Bulleit today and it is excellent.

They just (and I mean just) started doing whiskey as well.

you mean rye whiskey specifically, right (bourbon is whiskey too!)

i have been meaning to give that a try, but it is almost impossible to find real rye whiskey in this town. everything is this blended canadian shit, which is fucking awful but easier to drink if you don't actually like drinking? and it doesn't actually have to have rye in it, even if it's called "canadian rye whiskey," because canadian liquor laws are dumb as hell.

Yes, I do mean rye whiskey. It's called Bulleit 95, because it's 95% rye - which is a lot higher than American law requires (only 51% rye). I've loved the hell out of the Templeton Rye Whiskey I've got, but that's small-batch and hard to come by, so I'm looking to try this soon as an alternative for my rye fix.

Bulleit Rye is amazing. I think I like it even more than regular Bulleit, it's just so spicy and smooth and wonderful.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Does Bulleit make a Bourbon as well? All I can find here on the site is Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    LaOs wrote:
    Does Bulleit make a Bourbon as well? All I can find here on the site is Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey.

well, yes

i mean

that's what it says right there in the name

bourbon

http://www.bulleitbourbon.com/

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I'd only ever heard it referred to as Bulleit. I'd never seen it before and just searched the provincial liquor site to see if we had it--often we don't have the brands that get discussed here.

Basically, I thought it was just called "Bulleit" as a brand and that they had a sweet Rye Whiskey. :P

LaOs on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a bourbon. Bourbon is a legal term and has to meet the following criteria:

-Produced in the United States (Doesn't actually have to be from Bourbon County or Kentucky, but most of the good stuff is)
    -Have a mash bill of at least 51% corn
    -Aged in new, charred oak barrels
    -Distilled to no more than 160 proof
    -Must be barreled at no more than 125 proof
    -Must be bottled at no less than 80 proof

Most bourbons are "straight bourbons" which means they are aged for at least two years (though generally longer) and are not blended with any other substance

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Bulleit bourbon has a lot of rye in it, so it's nice and spicy. i'm a big fan. where in Canada are you deprived of liquor, Laos?

• Options
    Bulleit bourbon has a lot of rye in it, so it's nice and spicy. i'm a big fan. where in Canada are you deprived of liquor, Laos?

Wheated bourbons take wood better though, so you can get a nice aged wheated bourbon that has a spicy, tannic bite with a nice mellow malt feel.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Podly wrote:

Wheated bourbons take wood better though, so you can get a nice aged wheated bourbon that has a spicy, tannic bite with a nice mellow malt feel.

i think the only wheated bourbon i've had is Maker's Mark, which I found almost too soft and mellow.
    also your mom takes wood better

• Options
    Podly wrote:

i think the only wheated bourbon i've had is Maker's Mark, which I found almost too soft and mellow.
    also your mom takes wood better

Let me just put my bottle of W.L. Weller 19 in your mouth and you can slurp it down and feel its pleasant and loving burn.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    EM: I'm in Saskatchewan. They have one result for Bulleit, 750ml for $37 (if I recall).

• Options
    LaOs wrote:
    EM: I'm in Saskatchewan. They have one result for Bulleit, 750ml for $37 (if I recall).

Man, you live in the prairies and they don't have any corn-based whiskey? That's terrible.

Also you'd think drinking would be an important thing in the prairies.

• Options
    Are there any ice whiskeys out there?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    you mean, like ice wine or ice cider? I don't think so. Plus, winters are so harsh in a lot of places in Canada, with such inconsistency, that the various ice boozes are actually tough to make

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    you mean, like ice wine or ice cider? I don't think so. Plus, winters are so harsh in a lot of places in Canada, with such inconsistency, that the various ice boozes are actually tough to make

Like beer-based applejack.

• Options
    The only way you can get yeast to produce alcohol enough to make a spirit is to distill it. Icewine works because the grapes are left until the frost to harvest, which increase the sugar content of the grape (and hence the sweetness and the booziness) by freezing off the excess water in the grape. Presumably you could do the same with cider, but to make an icejack you would still have to distill the fermented cider.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    i've had Ontario ice cider. it's basically apple syrup that has little or no kick to it. I wouldn't recommend it except as an ingredient in other drinks.

Actually I bet you could make some excellent apple-themed cocktails with that stuff. Hm.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Sounds coil, although I've already staked out that territory with my apple cider reduction.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Podly wrote:
    The only way you can get yeast to produce alcohol enough to make a spirit is to distill it. Icewine works because the grapes are left until the frost to harvest, which increase the sugar content of the grape (and hence the sweetness and the booziness) by freezing off the excess water in the grape. Presumably you could do the same with cider, but to make an icejack you would still have to distill the fermented cider.

I meant freeze distillation.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    http://www.brewdog.com/tactical_nuclear_penguin

Freeze distilled to 32% Brewdog has made a couple others that are even higher percentages, but they were limited runs and are sold out.
    I've never had one, but it seems like it's just a gimmick.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Drinking some of that Eagle Rare Will keeps mentioning. It's tasty. <3

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Drinking some of that Eagle Rare Will keeps mentioning. It's tasty. <3

liked

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Vodka, tonic water, and lemon juice on ice is tasty.

• Options
    Quid wrote:
    Vodka, tonic water, and lemon juice on ice is tasty.

Tough to go wrong there.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I also just learned tonic water glows under UV lights. Neat!