As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Is it the quinine that does that? I think that's what it is.

Fun stuff.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Is it the quinine that does that? I think that's what it is.

Fun stuff.

Wiki says it is.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    LaOs wrote:
    EM: I'm in Saskatchewan. They have one result for Bulleit, 750ml for $37 (if I recall).

Man, you live in the prairies and they don't have any corn-based whiskey? That's terrible.

Also you'd think drinking would be an important thing in the prairies.

I'm sure there are other bourbons or corn-based whiskeys--I just haven't tried them myself. I was just wondering if we specifically had Bulleit.

Rye is more popular for the whiskeys, it seems.

• Options
    Quid wrote:
    Vodka, tonic water, and lemon juice on ice is tasty.

Also is there a name for this? It'd be nice to order.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Quid wrote:
    Vodka, tonic water, and lemon juice on ice is tasty.

Also is there a name for this? It'd be nice to order.

Vodka Tonic with a twist?

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    You would want to specify you want lemon juice, because they might assume lime. But yeah, I'd just order a "vodka tonic with lemon juice".

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So Left Hand makes this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBqW7Z3H00&feature=related

That's the first nitro bottle, as far as I'm aware, that doesn't have a widget. Now. I love nitro beer from a tap. I will always order at least one when available. But I cannot stand widget nitro from a bottle or can.

This, however, is absolutely delicious. Good cascade, smooth and creamy.

And yeah, you have to uncap it and pretty much turn the whole bottle upside down at once to pour for a good cascade.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Funny since I don't like nitro a lot. I feel like it kills the flavor of the beer so much.

I'm guessing they bottle it with a mix of nitro instead of just plain CO2?

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    http://drinkify.org/

Put in the name of a band and it tells you what you should drink to go along with it. Some are funnier than others.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2011

Put in the name of a band and it tells you what you should drink to go along with it. Some are funnier than others.

Wow, Antonín Dvořák will fuck you up.

Edit: Holy shit, Just a Band will kill you.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:

Yeah, some are more ridiculous than others. A lot of indie rock and punk just gives me "One PBR", but Minor Threat (a straight-edge punk band) gave me Woodford Reserve, tomato juice, and a Monster Energy drink, and Nirvana is 10 oz marijuana (which besides not being a beverage, is way more than anyone could possibly smoke) garnished with pickled carrot sticks.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Iron Maiden
    Bagginses wrote:

Yeah, some are more ridiculous than others. A lot of indie rock and punk just gives me "One PBR", but Minor Threat (a straight-edge punk band) gave me Woodford Reserve, tomato juice, and a Monster Energy drink, and Nirvana is 10 oz marijuana (which besides not being a beverage, is way more than anyone could possibly smoke) garnished with pickled carrot sticks.

Iron Maiden is just 10 oz. of LSD on the rocks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    hmm..

“The Janelle Monáe”

* 4 oz. Hennessy
    * 4 oz. Ginger Beer
    * 2 oz. Raspberry Vodka

Combine in shaker and strain into cocktail glass. Serve. Stir quickly.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    “The Black Keys”

8 oz. Canadian Club Whiskey
    8 oz. Rose's lime juice
    10 oz. Rum, Fucking Rum
    Combine in shaker and strain into cocktail glass. Serve.

I hope to hell this is for more than one person. Otherwise, I'd advise having a trained EMT crew on standby.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote:
    “The Black Keys”

8 oz. Canadian Club Whiskey
    8 oz. Rose's lime juice
    10 oz. Rum, Fucking Rum
    Combine in shaker and strain into cocktail glass. Serve.

I hope to hell this is for more than one person. Otherwise, I'd advise having a trained EMT crew on standby.

Moar like the Black Outs.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Went to a remy martin class/tasting today. Got to try all their cognacs beside the XIII and tried a bunch of the different unreleased ages and got to make my own blend. It was fun and informative!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Happy Beaujolais Day!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote:
    Happy Beaujolais Day!

À votre bon cœur!

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    Never heard of Beaujolais and I was initially upset that I was missing some alcohol-related celebration, but after reading about it on Wikipedia I'm okay with it. Fruity, low-tannin wine? Pass.

• Options
    So I did not expect this to happen but I just had some truly excellent Guamanian beer. I had Ishii's Minagof pale ale and was very surprised. Really happy that good beer is making its way in to this area.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Had some Ballantine's Finest. Pretty vile. :( What's the Eagle Rare of Scotch whiskey?

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Which one of these do you figure would go best with the traditional stereotypical American Thanksgiving Dinner

Applejack Rabbit:
    Applejack [bonded] 2oz
    ¾ oz lemon juice
    ¾ oz orange juice
    ½ oz Grade B (darker) maple syrup

The French 75:
    ½ oz lemon juice
    ½ oz simple syrup
    1½ oz Cognac or Gin
    top with champagne
    lemon twist

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    I hope you already have your applejack, I needed it for an apple pie I'm making and the only store near me (including Total Wine) that had applejack (or just apple brandy) was selling a 12 year aged bottled for $90.
    Fuck that.

• Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I do not. That certainly would make my decision easier if thats the scenario when I get to the store.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Start making your calls now. This is not going to be something most stores carry.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Applejack and rye are the most American of alcohols, and maple syrup is a highly nationalist sweetener, while the latter has the word "French" right in the name.

At a party that was low on mixers, I discovered that grenadine, cranberry juice, half-and-half, and whiskey looks just like pepto bismal but actually tastes pretty good. While pregaming erlier, I also discovered that rum, orange juice, and canned pineapple puree is a pretty good drink, although I still prefer my rum straight.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    We got a really nice order of kumquats in, so I was fooling around with them.

Winter Caipirinha
    2 oz cachaça
    6 kumquats
    3 cucumber wheels
    1/2 oz falernum
    1/2 oz lime juice
    5 pieces whole allspice

Muddle like woah and shake with 6 1"x1" icecubes. Dirty pour shaker contents into glass and garnish with ground clove/allspice mix.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    So for my birthday a friend bought me a bottle of The Balvenie Single Barrel 15. This is my first bottle of expensive single malt scotch (I normally drink Irish whiskey) but I like it quite a lot.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Drinking some of that Eagle Rare Will keeps mentioning. It's tasty. <3

I've been a little underwhelmed by Eagle Rare actually. It is very smooth, but I feel like it lacks flavour or bite compared to other bourbons. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

• Options
    Eagle rare or Elijah Wood are great for cocktails but I agree, EM, that it's a little too "nice" on its own. They taste like someone making bourbon-flavored candy might make.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    So, can someone explain sour beer/wild ale to me? My friendly-local-craft-beer-store is going to have some limited quantities of Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge, and while it seems to be well-liked, I'm not sure what taste I'm in for. I tend to like anything that isn't fruity fusion stuff (or Dogfish Head's Festina Peche), so can someone tell me what this sour stuff might taste like?

Also, I must mention that Spike and Jerome's Cuvee Delirante (accents excluded) is some of the most unique and wonderful tasting stuff I've ever had that was called beer. It's almost wine in consistency (not very carbonated at all), and has a million different things going on with it. Very complex, very rich, very alcoholic barleywine. It was also ultra-expensive but almost worth the price I paid. Almost :(

• Options
    Underpinnings are basically wild yeast/bacteria vs. traditional. Wild is some unpredictable stuff that can go in several directions and is usually under CDC-Hazmat-Level-4-Lockdown when done at a brewery that isn't dedicated to the style at all times. Best example I have of that is Deschutes in 2008. When making The Dissident (Sour brown with cherries), microbes from the wild yeast used in the process spiked a few barrels of The Abyss for that year. When you drink a flight of The Abyss that involves the '08, it's definitely different than '09, '10, etc.

As to what to expect with sours? Tartness, no malt whatsoever, and a blush of the fruit or other adds to the process. In some cases, depending on what was done, it's verges toward wine. Personally, I love the stuff. I'm at the Cascade Barrel House about once a month to see what's new. When I bring people there for the first time, the typical comment is that they don't think they are tasting beer.

Here's a recent Times article where they sampled and ranked some sours.

• Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    Wow, this wild ale is different alright. To be honest, Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge reminds me of Sweet Tarts. I'm not sure if that's entirely a bad thing.

• Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    So, is there something about sites not letting you buy their alcohol online? I want to try different beers without having to drive out to the Philly area since there's shit out here.

• Options
    JJ wrote:
    So, is there something about sites not letting you buy their alcohol online? I want to try different beers without having to drive out to the Philly area since there's shit out here.

I imagine at least some US States wouldn't allow it because it's pretty much a yes/no question that you're actually old enough to purchase it.

• Options
    JJ wrote:

It's illegal to ship at least beer to PA although there are some loop holes for beer of the month clubs and some sites just don't care. It's as simple as that.

• Options
    The Judge wrote:
    Best example I have of that is Deschutes in 2008. When making The Dissident (Sour brown with cherries), microbes from the wild yeast used in the process spiked a few barrels of The Abyss for that year. When you drink a flight of The Abyss that involves the '08, it's definitely different than '09, '10, etc.

Really? I've never heard that about the '08. I know Deschutes had issues with infection in the '09 Abyss, but it was a result of some of the barrels being infected, not Dissident causing any issues.

• Options
    Crazy . . . I had heard that tale twice in the last two years during flights of Abyss at release time and both identified the 2008. But the blog on Deschutes talks specifically about the 2009 vintage, so the people giving me the info must have been wrong. That'll learn me. :)

I still find 2008 to be the black sheep of the lineup. Clean 2009 is in the same ballpark as the other vintages, but '08 has a slightly bitter edge to it.

• Options
    The Judge wrote:
    Crazy . . . I had heard that tale twice in the last two years during flights of Abyss at release time and both identified the 2008. But the blog on Deschutes talks specifically about the 2009 vintage, so the people giving me the info must have been wrong. That'll learn me. :)

I still find 2008 to be the black sheep of the lineup. Clean 2009 is in the same ballpark as the other vintages, but '08 has a slightly bitter edge to it.
    That may be true. I think they change the recipe slightly every year. I know the barrel aging portion plus the barrels have changed year to year. I've only ever had last year's version so I have nothing to compare it to.

And you can tell the people it was the 2009 and had nothing to do with Dissident. The barrels caused the issue as they can sometimes do if not cleaned 100% (which is difficult.) Deschutes actually flash pasteurizes the barrel aged portion now so the issue should never occur again. They had an issue with Mirror Mirror too for the same reason.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    So, what are some good drinks for winter besides Irish coffee and eggnog?

!