As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    I'm going camping for a bachelor party this weekend. I'm thinking about bringing scotch and cigars. Lets assume everyone there is on the lower end of scotch connoisseur, whats my best bet that will also be tasty? Also if anyone has cigar suggestions I'm definitely all ears.

If you bring Laphroaig 18 it will probably impress. I kinda fell in love with it when PA state stores where selling it for $70 a bottle.

I was thinking Laphroaig 10, but figured it might be a little much for some. I'm guessing the 18 is smoother?

A lot smoother.

Not everyone will care for Islays, but a Laphroaig 10 is much more likely to turn people off from it, if they've never tried a peaty whisky before. That said, the 18 Year is a lot more expensive.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    It is a huge difference. I basically will not pay money for the 10, because I am in the group turned off by it's strength. The 18 is probably my favorite liquor.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Wide crowd?
    Glenlivet 12. Smooth, easy drinking and inoffensive. I like others better, but it's such a solid offering and very inoffensive by single-malt standards. Alternatively - Johnny Walker Black.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, Laphroaig 10 turned me off of Islays for years when I first tried it. It's only been in the past 3-4 years that I've gone back and fallen in love with some better Islays. I like Caol Ila a ton, although it's got a salty taste that might not appeal to some. You can usually find it for around $60-$65.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Wide crowd?
    Glenlivet 12. Smooth, easy drinking and inoffensive. I like others better, but it's such a solid offering and very inoffensive by single-malt standards. Alternatively - Johnny Walker Black.

Glen 12 is a good pick, it's what I'd bring if people weren't already whiskey drinkers.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Wide crowd?

Glen 12 is a good pick, it's what I'd bring if people weren't already whiskey drinkers.
    Lets assume everyone there is on the lower end of scotch connoisseur,

Glenlivet is... boring/obvious/the Budweiser of single malt Scotch.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I should not be allowed to go to Total Wine on my own. I ended up with:

Black Ridge Burbon
    Pilar 24 rum
    Ardbeg 10 scotch

And a 20 pack of cheap ass cigars.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I should not be allowed to go to Total Wine on my own. I ended up with:

Black Ridge Burbon
    Pilar 24 rum
    Ardbeg 10 scotch

And a 20 pack of cheap ass cigars.

Awesome store. They always have a great selection on tap for growler fills, too.

...Of beer, that is. Not rum and whiskey. Although that would rule.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Wide crowd?

Not going to argue that point, but to a room of non-scotch drinkers, it's a great introduction.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Wide crowd?

Not going to argue that point, but to a room of non-scotch drinkers, it's a great introduction.

Yeah I'd say it's at least the Fat Tire of scotch, but same idea.

• Options
    This is a chart with flavor profiles of 86 different scotch whiskys. It was originally posted in SE++'s Interesting Facts thread, but it obviously quite relevant for this thread as well. It's spoilered for size.
    tynic wrote: »
    1fh6eyc.png

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Got a bottle of Bunnahabhain Toiteach.

Wowza. Knew what I was getting into, but still.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    So yeah. I got a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. I like it quite a lot, despite how much of a douche Jim Murray is.

Also, went to Oktoberfest. It was pretty lively, even if I only had the opportunity to drop by for one evening.

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    My local pub has scotch tastings on the first Thursday of the month, but it only runs from October to June. So, they are ramping back up tonight and I am quite eager to expand the palette a bit.

• Options
    Ghoti wrote: »
    My local pub has scotch tastings on the first Thursday of the month, but it only runs from October to June. So, they are ramping back up tonight and I am quite eager to expand the palette a bit.

Well, I hadn't tried Uigeadail before, but since I could get a whole bottle for the price of three measures of the same at my closest pub, I figured I'd just go for the bottle instead. It's pretty good! definitely needs a splash of water to open up though, since it's at 54.something % ABV.

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    Would folks like me to post my notes from the tasting last week?

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    So as we get to that most wonderful time of the year. EGG NOG.

I am currently drinking some some store bought stuff with Cruzan black strap rum in it that tastes pretty good, but does anyone have a recipe for real egg nog they have used before?

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Doodmann mentioned Jameson Caskmates months back, I saw a bottle of it for $18 in the local Jewel and that hit my "I'll try anything under $20 once" spot. It's good. Definitely not as stout-y as I was expecting. Nicely mild and a little smoky, I'm drinking it with caramel cheesecake at the moment.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Doodmann mentioned Jameson Caskmates months back, I saw a bottle of it for $18 in the local Jewel and that hit my "I'll try anything under $20 once" spot. It's good. Definitely not as stout-y as I was expecting. Nicely mild and a little smoky, I'm drinking it with caramel cheesecake at the moment.

Ya the stoutiness is subtle, but it's a hell of a lot better and more interesting than regular Jameson.

I like to ART
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Ya the stoutiness is subtle, but it's a hell of a lot better and more interesting than regular Jameson.

yeah, i'm a fan of it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Ok drunk thread. I have 4 christmas parties this weekend. What kind of Bombers should I pick up to bring since I'm a beer guy and not a wine guy?

I like to ART
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'd like to get a friend of mine some Tequila for making Margaritas. It seems like getting a Reposado or Añejo would be a waste of good alcohol for a mixed drink, right?

Are there any brands I should avoid? Everybody always shits on Cuervo, but I dunno it's 100% agave and seemed alright to me.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i'm a fan of espolon, especially for the price

luna azul makes a decent inexpensive one as well

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I like 1800 Silver. It's cheap enough you don't feel guilty making margaritas but still drinkable as shots.

Costco has a Kirkland brand 100% agave tequila, which tastes fine, but I've never had a worse hangover than I got from drinking Kirkland brand tequila. An equivalent amount of 1800 and I'm fine, but the Kirkland stuff, I wanted to die the next day.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    i'm a fan of espolon, especially for the price

luna azul makes a decent inexpensive one as well

That's my choice. Pretty much just have it to have it and for making simple tequila & tonic on occasion.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I'd like to get a friend of mine some Tequila for making Margaritas. It seems like getting a Reposado or Añejo would be a waste of good alcohol for a mixed drink, right?

Are there any brands I should avoid? Everybody always shits on Cuervo, but I dunno it's 100% agave and seemed alright to me.

My go-to tequlia is Horintos. Which is probably the cheapest you can get a decent workhorse repo.

You should ideally shoot for a repo for a margarita as its a fairly liquor forward drink, and an uninteresting liquor will make an uninteresting margarita. Granted the triple sec and lime matter more, but you don't want your tequila to be flat or astringent.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Ahaha! Jim Murray must be trolling the whisky world.

Seriously.

Glen Grant 10 as the best single malt? Crown Royal Rye as best overall? I haven't tasted Crown Royal, but from reviews it didn't strike me as "best in the world" material.

I think he's picking a different country as best every year, just to mess with people.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Must be seting himself up for a job at the Olympic Committee.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Hello booze thread, I have a beer question: I'm on the hunt for a certain flavor profile I've come to enjoy when its cold, but I'm not really sure what style I should be looking for, or even specific suggestions. I love the taste of Lagunitas Brown Shuggah, and I was pointed towards trying out Frostnipper as a roughly similar taste profile when I was at Food Lion (Yes it had a dedicated craft brew section, the dude running the tap suggested it). Something on the darker side, a little sweet, light on the hops, but not so toasted that the coffee taste becomes overpowering. Something nice and cozy for a dark winter night. Hopefully this is getting the idea across, I'm not a super taste aficionado. Any other recs?

• Options
    Hello booze thread, I have a beer question: I'm on the hunt for a certain flavor profile I've come to enjoy when its cold, but I'm not really sure what style I should be looking for, or even specific suggestions. I love the taste of Lagunitas Brown Shuggah, and I was pointed towards trying out Frostnipper as a roughly similar taste profile when I was at Food Lion (Yes it had a dedicated craft brew section, the dude running the tap suggested it). Something on the darker side, a little sweet, light on the hops, but not so toasted that the coffee taste becomes overpowering. Something nice and cozy for a dark winter night. Hopefully this is getting the idea across, I'm not a super taste aficionado. Any other recs?

I feel like a heavy Dopplebock would fit that bill pretty well.

I like to ART
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

Or some october-festy things, but you might have missed the boat on those.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Or some october-festy things, but you might have missed the boat on those.
    I agree on both counts, dobblebock and oktober/harvest styles.

If you can find it I would highly recommend Ayinger Celebrator dobblebock, pretty much my gold standard for this style and one that is readily available in most regions.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    What region are you in?

That might help with specific recommendations

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Ok cool I'll keep an eye out for those. Is there something in the winter ale area that has that kind of profile? Thats what Frost nipper was categorized as

@Burtletoy I am in New York

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    I gave my sister a couple of tastes of some of the booze I've got on hand and she thought the Laphroaig 10 Year was way smoother than the Woodford Reserve. Go figure. She still wasn't a huge fan of either of them straight up. I'll have to get her to one of the classy bars while she's still in town so she can try some good mixed drinks.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Blanco tequila is a waaaay different unnamed spirit from vodka or moonshine. The agave is still very much pronounced, to the point that highland and lowland tequilas taste very different. Aging tequilas can mellow out the bite of a blanco and add some weight and traditional wood-compex notes and tannins, but I don't even think that makes for a superior tequila. I love blanco tequilas.

A blanco tequila makes a great, brisk, clean margarita. I LOVE them in the summertime: 2 oz blanco tequila (espalon or milagro or el jimador are great choices) 3/4 oz fresh lime, 3/4 oz triple sec (I like combier for a choice that doesn't break the bank) and a bar spoon of agave nectar. In the winter, a reposado makes for a nice change to accompany the weather, with a few dashes of bitters, especially mole bitters if you want to spring for them, and a smoked salt rim. Maybe some mescal too! Great deep cocktail for a cold night. If I want something a little more refreshing, I love to take advantage of grapefruits winter season and make upscale palomas with blanco tequila, ruby red grapefruit (and pomelos if I can get them), st germain or another elderflower liqueur, and soda water.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ok cool I'll keep an eye out for those. Is there something in the winter ale area that has that kind of profile? Thats what Frost nipper was categorized as

@Burtletoy I am in New York

Check out maibock and scotch ale too.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Swung by the liquor store and stocked up on a whole lot of beer. So far tried the Winter Grind from Mother's brewery and the Early Riser from Boulevard.

Both are really good if you like the taste of black coffee. In fact, both tasted more like an iced coffee than beers to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Blanco tequila is a waaaay different unnamed spirit from vodka or moonshine. The agave is still very much pronounced, to the point that highland and lowland tequilas taste very different. Aging tequilas can mellow out the bite of a blanco and add some weight and traditional wood-compex notes and tannins, but I don't even think that makes for a superior tequila. I love blanco tequilas.

A blanco tequila makes a great, brisk, clean margarita. I LOVE them in the summertime: 2 oz blanco tequila (espalon or milagro or el jimador are great choices) 3/4 oz fresh lime, 3/4 oz triple sec (I like combier for a choice that doesn't break the bank) and a bar spoon of agave nectar. In the winter, a reposado makes for a nice change to accompany the weather, with a few dashes of bitters, especially mole bitters if you want to spring for them, and a smoked salt rim. Maybe some mescal too! Great deep cocktail for a cold night. If I want something a little more refreshing, I love to take advantage of grapefruits winter season and make upscale palomas with blanco tequila, ruby red grapefruit (and pomelos if I can get them), st germain or another elderflower liqueur, and soda water.

These all sound great. What's your rough ratio of grapefruit juice to tequila

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Podly wrote: »

These all sound great. What's your rough ratio of grapefruit juice to tequila

unless it's like a tiki drink with multiple juices or a heavy syrup/reduction, I pretty much always go 2 oz spirit : 3/4 oz juice and simple/liqueur

(that's 3/4 oz of each, not combined)

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1