Council of Thieves Act 1: The Bastards of Erebus, a Dungeons & Dragons (4E) adventure for five first level characters
This is a PbP game.
I, TiamatZ, will be your DM. Sheets are on myth-weavers (or Orokos). Dice rolls are on IC (or once again Orokos). For now, this is an IC thread. Post OOC discussions/comments/questions/etc in the OOC thread to avoid clutter and confusion.
I expect each of you to post at least once a day (except maybe on weekends [Saturdays and Sundays]) when you're able (though if it’s your turn, by all means post during the weekend; I’ll just post the updated map by Monday or so). If you'll be away for an extended period of time, let me know so that I (or you) can make arrangements to keep the game moving while you're gone (or postpone it if the majority of the party is unavailable). I'm a level-headed person, and I won't kick you out for missing posts here and there. That being said, if you flake consistently you'll be removed from the party.
For combat, I will provide the HP, AC and other defences
(as well as any special bonuses monsters receive e.g. +2 AC when standing next to each other) of the enemies present and you shall roll attack rolls. If you hit, roll damage and work that into your post. Also color coded the monsters (makes it easier to work with, since most of you are newbies to the PbP format) by their border; red are minions, green are normal monsters, yellow are elites and purple are solos. So if you pop a daily on a red bordered monster you are going to feel really thick because it shouldn't last more than a single hit. Everyone will post their IC actions, with the rolls and results in SPOILER
I will use TalonRazor’s
idea (from the Legend of Novus PbP game). You must declare what you are doing in ORANGE
text. The rolls must be in RED BOLD
text and linked to the IC (or Orokos) roll. At the bottom of the post, still in spoiler tags, they shall post who is up next, in brackets and size 3 font that is GREEN
, and who is on deck. Here is the template:
"Johnny Law swings his mighty fist, smacking the honest citizen in the face."
Standard Action: Basic Melee Attack Move Action: Stand there
Attack Roll [1d20+4 = 16+4 = 20] Damage Roll [1d20+10 = 1+10 = 11]
[Up Next: Bobby Joe][On Deck: Chuck Norris] (or red for enemies)
For immediate interrupts, remember to post them with any criteria to follow in orange
as well. If one of your powers has an immediate interrupt ability, state that power as well as when to use it e.g. when a monster strikes me, I want to use power X (where X is the power with immediate interrupt, such as Wizard’s Shield utility power, or the Fighter’s No Opening Utility power).
Also link to OOC thread: here
The primary goal here is for us all to have fun. I’m (mostly) new to PbP DMing and you’re all also (probably) new to PbP games, so we’re all noobs here. If you're not having fun for some reason, please let me know. Alright, now that that's all out of the way, let's go roll some dice and kill some monsters!
Act 1: The Bastards of Erebus
"Seventy years ago, the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune defeated its rivals in a bloody civil war following the death of the god of light and the sun, Pelor, bringing order to the war-torn nation of Cheliax—but at a price. Now the imperial bureaucracy enforces devil-worship as the state religion, and the common people bow their heads in perpetual servitude to the dark lord of Hell. Fortunately, Cheliax still has heroes: crusaders and revolutionaries motivated by glory, honour, greed for the throne, or hatred of what their land has become under the infernal thumb of Asmodeus. Our story follows one such band of heroes, as they unravel and become embroiled in a conspiracy so great, it may tear the once-proud city of Westcrown, and even its citizens, apart if left unchecked..."
Prologue: Invitation to Vizio's
Chapter 1: Into the Sewers
Chapter 2: The Rebel Hideout
The Cast (AKA the party):
Current Party :
as Typhor Jett, Watersoul Genasi Warlord
- Orphaned as an infant and pushed out onto the street as a child, Typhor's childhood was focused on survival. His experiences with street gangs eventually led him into more proper mercenary work, then into a short-lived revolution. He survived the brutal reprisal, but his few comrades were killed and his hopes for change were shattered. He now works as a combat trainer for the noble houses.
as Yuren Tylis, Elven Avenger of Torog
- Witnessing the chosen city of his god fall into chaos and being locked in a dungeon for seven decades is more than enough to drive a person insane. But for Yuren, the years in cold darkness brought him the means of vengeance- the blessing of Torog, the King that Crawls. He now seeks more mundane allies to exact his vengeance on the Asmodean rulers.
as Calleigh Farras, Human Wizard
- Calleigh was happy with the life of an apprentice wizard and shopkeeper in Westcrown, but a raid by the Bastards of Erebus changed everything. Having lost her home and business, she has sought out the Wardens to lend her spellcraft and alchemy to the cause of bringing down the Bastards and beyond.
as William Sherbourne, Human Shielding Swordmage
- Having been trained in the art of magic and the heavy blade, William wears the mantle of the swordmage. William's life as a ward in a monastary dedicated to the arts and beauty of Corellon was violently burned away, for reasons unknown. He now wears his blade definatly, no longer turning a blind eye to the evils around him.
as Hertzog Torr, Half-Orc Ranger
- A former slave and pit-fighter, Hertzog managed a lucky escape from house Dioso. With no way back to his former life, Hertzog turns his attentions towards the destruction of the rulers that allowed his enslavement and justice for the people who held his chains.
as Alainn Byrne, Human Invoker of Erathis
- Alainn Byrne is a Companion of the Jade Star House. She was born a peasant girl in a peasant family, serving as a vassal of a cruel minor noble who had either purchased, swindled, or earned a small fief. Her two older brothers were rather cruel and vicious, though perhaps her rough childhood steeled her for the trials that awaited her as a young woman on the streets of Westcrown. She was born with fiery red hair and bright green eyes, a rarity amongst the people of Cheliax.
Fallen in Battle :
as Grokka Lownote, Goliath Valorous Bard
- Grokka came down from the mountains years ago and began working in the tavern as a novelty act. The locals began flocking to hear his unique Goliath song and he's been a local legend ever since. Recent corruption and the rampant, oppressive government has caused him to take up a more revolutionary role, passing information and aid to local rebels. More recently he's been sought to take up a more active role in the fight.
Cause of death:
None. He was called by Janiven to foresee other matters, causing him to leave the group.
Orokos/MythWeavers Campaign name: PA CouncilOfThieves
Main Quest: Flight from Vizio's [Completed]
- Hold out the Hellknights for X amount of rounds [Completed]
Main Quest: Finding the Path
- Reach the rebel safehouse. [Completed]
- Follow the sword symbols on the wall. They will direct you to the safehouse proper. [Completed]
At various points in this Campaign, there are times when the heroes’ exploits are significant enough to gain them fame and admiration among the people of Westcrown. Defeating a group of notorious bandits, saving a child from a house fire, publicly slaying a rampaging monster, completing a supposedly impossible play—all of these things are worthy of Fame Points.
As this Campaign progresses, certain encounters will end with a section titled “Fame Points Earned” that details how many Fame Points to award to you guys. While I keep track of the party’s Fame Points, I won’t keep this total secret. You guys will be told each time you earn a Fame Point so you’ll know that you’ve accomplished something important, and that your reputation in Westcrown is growing. Fame Points are merely an indication of the city’s growing awareness of your accomplishments in most adventures—but in the final adventure in this campaign, you will need to make Fame Checks in many encounters.
Fame Points Pool: 0