Options

PAX East Train Alliance 2011 (PAXTrain East!) - Metal Gear Train SOLD OUT!

• Options
    Shadow009Shadow009 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hopefully I'm not committing a forums faux-pas here, but is anyone else on the Sonic Line headed to the Hilton Financial District once we de-train? Might be a nicer trek with company.

Shadow009 on
  • Options
    gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BTW, tickets BOUGHT for Metal Gear line. Plus Zedarius (Danny) and Bitstream (Jeremiah). Smerk will be with us, as well. (not on Donkey Kong line)
    (@Moe Fwacky: Can you change my ticket bought status to "YES!"? Add Zedarius and Bitstream and Smerk as people boarding from same station!)

I will have my tripod, camera, and flash for the group photo, yet again!

Board games that will be coming with us: Agricola (daaaamn straight!), Bang!, "The Laurel Game" (which I made some of you play last year), Smallworld, travel Settlers, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Mansion Madness, and maybe Dominion, if there is high demand.

Get your energy drinks and magic gatorade ready geeks and geekettes!! We're gonna game all night! ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gidgets/4481005614/
    4481005614_d0ac9e00fe_z.jpg

gidgets on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hi hello

tarranon here

from the metroid line!

you remember that one right

anyway. i dunno if there are enough of us to make anything happen before we hit the eastern seaboard. but it would be cool. maybe??

literally the loneliest line

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Still looks like I'll be on the sonic line, hopefully. Depends on how things go in Atlantic City tomorrow. Haven't bought a ticket yet though.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    inkybrushesinkybrushes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is anyone else on the Sonic line getting on at Baltimore Penn Station? If not...can you guys wave the flag at me and Jonathan when we get on by our lonesomes?

inkybrushes on
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is anyone else on the Sonic line getting on at Baltimore Penn Station? If not...can you guys wave the flag at me and Jonathan when we get on by our lonesomes?

Me and my friend are getting on at BWI. Seems like we might be by ourselves as well.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I kinda goofed when getting my tickets. I'm riding Metroid -> Sonic, but instead of getting off where Sonic begins in DC, I'll be getting of in NY Penn Station. I'm not too worried about it, though, just means I get to get away from my obnoxious friend for a few hours :P

reverend_tobias on
  • Options
    xehnxehn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I'm one of those crazy lurkers who doesn't post much, but I thought I should at least mention that my girlfriend Amy and I will be boarding in Chicago for the "Cool Kids Train" (aka Metal Gear Line). We'll bring a few table top games with us to play. We actually bought the tickets back in October when Moe posted the dates (and missed the discount like a couple of suckers!) but it didn't occur to me that I should post and introduce ourselves until today for some reason. :-P

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the train!

Names: Zen and Amy
    Boarding Stop: Chicago, IL
    Tickets Purchased: Y

xehn on
  • Options
    BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    xehn wrote: »
    We actually bought the tickets back in October when Moe posted the dates (and missed the discount like a couple of suckers!)

You didn't miss the discount. You can call Amtrak and they'll apply the credit to your existing tickets, sending the savings back to the card you used to purchase the tickets. Call 1-800-USA-RAILS, navigate the phone menu to reservations, get a human on the phone, and say "I want to apply a convention code to tickets I already purchased." They should take care of you.

BigSassy on
  • Options
    xehnxehn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey thanks for the heads up!

Also, for the record, asking Amtrak's automated phone robot to "transfer me to an analog phone representative" actually got me there.

This voice activated stuff is getting better all the time :-P

xehn on
  • Options
    Fr00tyTangFr00tyTang regular
    edited March 2011
    Sonic Line folks, I have used my intimidating, kindergarten-level art skills to make a sign. Assuming I don't get yelled at for it, I'll put this up in a window in whatever car we end up in until flag-bearers show up or the embarrassment of my horrible artwork becomes too much to bear.
    sonic_line.jpg

Also, any suggestions for some snacks people would like to see? I was all set to make a batch of pizzelles (thin, flat, awesome cookies) tomorrow night, but was re-reading the first post and saw the bit about not bringing anything homemade. Oops!

Fr00tyTang on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Who be underway to the final destination? Im sure people have started their journeys by rail...

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    JeffGrubbJeffGrubb Writer with Bitmob and Venturebeat ColumbusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys. I'm getting on in Cleveland. I was on the train last year. Just to remind every body. If you are twittering about it, be sure to use the #PAXTrain hash tag!

I'm also putting the word out that I want to learn a new board game this trip! Preferably, Ticket to Ride or something. Thanks!

Can't wait to see you guys from last year and to meet all the new people.

JeffGrubb on
  • Options
    lxg5810lxg5810 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Question- When I called Amtrak about the discount they changed the station I get off on in Boston from south station to Boston (Back Bay). But I am staying at the seaport so should I switch it back to south station since it is closer?

lxg5810 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Metroid Line people: according to Amtrak's help line, the 20 Crescent is running three hours late. This would get us to DC too late to take the Sonic Line and the next train would get us to Boston at about 8 Friday morning.

I haven't explored all the options yet, but maybe there's another train from a different city on the Crescent line that would get us there at a more reasonable hour?

Shadow009 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2011
    lxg5810 wrote: »
    Question- When I called Amtrak about the discount they changed the station I get off on in Boston from south station to Boston (Back Bay). But I am staying at the seaport so should I switch it back to south station since it is closer?

I don't know why they would do that. You should probably call them and have them switch you to South Station.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    tigrerosatigrerosa Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Things I should have posted weeks ago, when I bought my ticket.

Names: Lily
    Boarding Stop: Albany-Renesselear
    Tickets Purchased: Y

tigrerosa on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shadow009 wrote: »
    Metroid Line people: according to Amtrak's help line, the 20 Crescent is running three hours late. This would get us to DC too late to take the Sonic Line and the next train would get us to Boston at about 8 Friday morning.

I haven't explored all the options yet, but maybe there's another train from a different city on the Crescent line that would get us there at a more reasonable hour?

It might catch up in time to make your connection. Call Amtrak (1-800-872-7245), see what they can do - maybe they'll honor your ticket on the Acela or something. Also, can't you take the 178? It doesn't get in until midnight but it beats 8 am.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    antherem wrote: »
    Shadow009 wrote: »

It might catch up in time to make your connection. Call Amtrak (1-800-872-7245), see what they can do - maybe they'll honor your ticket on the Acela or something. Also, can't you take the 178? It doesn't get in until midnight but it beats 8 am.

I've called, and according to them, it's "possible but pretty unlikely" that it will catch up in time to meet the 176, and they never listed the 178 as an option, just told me that the next available train wouldn't be until 10 at night, getting me to Boston on Friday morning. Maybe the 178's sold out?

I may end up doing some kind of last-minute flight up there so I can actually get there on time. I really hate to miss out on the meeting people on the train thing, though. I was pretty excited about that.

Shadow009 on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If it will help out, I'll be at the Newark NJ station, but I'm worried that I won't see you all, but I think you'll see me. I'll be carrying a big Professor Layton hat with my bags, so I'll probably be hard to miss.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    DevilturnipDevilturnip Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I just got aboard the Star Fox line. I have no idea I'd anyone else is here! I'll check other cars for signs of card games, I suppose.

Devilturnip on
  • Options
    radjagoradjago Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    JeffGrubb wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm getting on in Cleveland. I was on the train last year. Just to remind every body. If you are twittering about it, be sure to use the #PAXTrain hash tag!

I'm also putting the word out that I want to learn a new board game this trip! Preferably, Ticket to Ride or something. Thanks!

Can't wait to see you guys from last year and to meet all the new people.

I would have brought TtR on the train last year, but it's got too many fiddly bits to keep stable to play on a train.

Also in an attempt to bolster attendance at future PAX Easts, Nakesha and I decided to forgo the trip this year and create not one, but two new people (I'm sure Daniel can show you pictures if you're interested). She says we'll go next year because by that time, we'll need it.

God speed you Metal Gear line!

radjago on
    PAX East Train Alliance, Metal Gear Line: 2013 || 2012 || 2010
  • Options
    reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Early morning update: Metroid Line is still 4 hours behind schedule. Here's hoping we can get something figured out to get to PAX on time D:

reverend_tobias on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Metal Gear line is running on schedule as of 7:00 this morning.

antherem on
  • Options
    BigShoesPleaseBigShoesPlease Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My friends and I are on board the Sonic Line in Lychburg, VA. No sign of the Sonic Line sign fr00tytang posted. Our car has filled up pretty considerably so hopefully there'll be no problem with us moving to sit with other PAX folks.

BigShoesPlease on
    Elite 4 Member -PAX East Pokemon League 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As of 8:00, the Star Fox line is just passing Quantico. We should be in DC with plenty of time to link up with the Sonic line at noon.

Devilturnip on
  • Options
    jabrazellejabrazelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    On the star fox now. Boarded at 5am and everyone looked asleep. Hope to find you all on sonic!

jabrazelle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If you want to catch me in DC, I'm wearing a brown woot shirt and a hat.

Devilturnip on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If anybody else ends up on my self-titled Donkey Kong Jr line from Portland Maine to Boston leaving at 12:50 and you see an overweight guy with a red hawaiian shirt and an all black Google laptop please make sure you stop by and say hello!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Fr00tyTangFr00tyTang regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I failed at life and parking and was the last person to board in Lynchburg. Sonic Line is almost at DC and all PAXers we're aware of are in the second car back from the cafe car.

Fr00tyTang on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DC gents are in line waiting with our fruit fucker flag. Do we have a train car yet?

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Metal gear has a good turnout.

antherem on
  • Options
    diecastbeatdowndiecastbeatdown Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Finally got around to purchasing my ticket...

What line you will be on: Sonic
    Name: Ken
    Boarding Stop: Penn Station
    Time: 7:30PM
    Ticket Purchased: Yes

diecastbeatdown on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sonic line riders, we'll be trying to consolidate on a single car as people get off at different stops. Post here if you're somewhere on the train by yourself and we'll try and find you as seats open up.

EDIT - PS: We're on the second car back from the cafe car. Towards the back of the car.

BigSassy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I know I'm old enough to remember 1200 baud modem and such but I'll be damned if it doesn't impress me that I can sit on a train with good speed internet for free to my laptop which has an eight hour battery life. Sooo much nicer and more relaxing for short stints than flying.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did the Metal Gear line just play Jenga on the train?

Yes. Yes, we did.

rufo on
  • Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Metal Gear: Which car is the "main" PAX car? It'll be good to know when I board in Springfield.

DanUNG on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    HAHA! We've taken over more than half a train car now. For people still getting on, we're on the LAST car. I'll still be standing out on the platforms with the Fruit Fucker Flag waving you in :D

BigSassy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My train from Maine basically has me and maybe 2 or 3 other PAXers (I only could tell by scarves). A ton of Bruins jerseys so I'm guessing they play tonight. I'm dedicating my time to a Whoopie Pie and Shipyard beer.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2011
    Lindsey, remind me next year and I'll set you guys up a proper line. I think I underestimated the desire of people from the north to ride together.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.