As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medal of Honor - Wherein we valiantly struggle to maintain relevancy against BLOPS

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think DICE did their homework. The M16A4 in real life has three round burst, but the MOH one is capable of full auto.

The MP7/M4 shouldn't have the same effective range as a Sniper Rifle either, but there you go.... :(

For once I'm actually looking forward to guns getting nerfed next patch. I also would love to see some love to the Machine Guns. Right now they're essentially a "I hate myself, my ratio, and my ability to fight in a stand up gun battle because everything is more accurate and fires faster than me" gun that makes me want to punch myself in the dick than use it.

Consequently, in the essence of preserving mah dicks, I don't use em often.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, I have to say that this game can be a blast if you stick to Sector Control and Objective Raid. Gametypes that force movement and punish sniping really make it shine. I hope the patch can help smooth out the other types where the open areas are necessary.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I just suck at this particular games multiplayer for some reason.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So for a lark, I've been rocking the F2000 to see what exactly this gun is doing here. I think I've finally found the MW2 equivalent for it. It's basically the ACR of MOH. It has a redonkulous rate of fire, weak damage, but it's surprisingly accurate if you control your bursts properly.

Unfortunately with the MP's shoddy hit detection (fucking hate shooting a guy and having him shoot me back and we both end up dead even though on my screen it shows me firing first) you REALLY have to get the drop on someone to bring em down unless you rock the headshots. It also doesn't like medium-long range fights like the M16A4....huh so....yeah it's basically spec ops for the rifleman....still, an interesting change of pace from the A4....

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Man, I have to say that this game can be a blast if you stick to Sector Control and Objective Raid. Gametypes that force movement and punish sniping really make it shine. I hope the patch can help smooth out the other types where the open areas are necessary.

I think the majority of people that play sniper in those modes are idiots. In sector control I was capturing a point by myself and right by me was a sniper on the other building. Never even turned his head or moved or anything. Then after I got the point I ran over to him and buried a hatchet in his head. I've run across snipers doing that a lot.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also fuck the chinook map with a snow covered hatchet. I have never played a more supremely frustrating map than this one. I think only Diwagal village (that uber retardedly small map) is more frustrating.

But yeah, offense? 3/4 of my team are snipers. Oh Glee, no smoke grenade cover, so I'll be sniped as soon as I so much as glance in the wreck's direction.

Defense? SNIPERS SNIPERS SNIPERS SNIPERS wait!? Wassat-oh that's a sni-*BLAM*

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Algertman wrote: »

I think the majority of people that play sniper in those modes are idiots. In sector control I was capturing a point by myself and right by me was a sniper on the other building. Never even turned his head or moved or anything. Then after I got the point I ran over to him and buried a hatchet in his head. I've run across snipers doing that a lot.

breaking through enemy lines and getting to that one room you know 4-8 of their team are camping while trying to snipe the other room where your 4-8 guys are camped and then meleeing them all to death is one of the more satisfying things to do in this game. that and the silenced AR.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think DICE did their homework. The M16A4 in real life has three round burst, but the MOH one is capable of full auto.

The MP7/M4 shouldn't have the same effective range as a Sniper Rifle either, but there you go.... :(

For once I'm actually looking forward to guns getting nerfed next patch. I also would love to see some love to the Machine Guns. Right now they're essentially a "I hate myself, my ratio, and my ability to fight in a stand up gun battle because everything is more accurate and fires faster than me" gun that makes me want to punch myself in the dick than use it.

Consequently, in the essence of preserving mah dicks, I don't use em often.

I find with the machine guns you HAVE to take a knee and fire.
    Spray and pray will not work with them. I've gotten a lot of kills with my machine guns.
    I do wish they had a little bit more range and damage. Accuracy is on par for what I expect, but I've hit guys 5-6 times in HC with a M60 and they'll still snipe my face.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To hell with snipers. That is all.

Actually, no, that's not all - I agree Thegreatcow. I've never looked forward to guns being nerfed as much as I'm looking forward to snipers getting nerfed. It is ridiculous - if the other team is halfway competent as snipers, usually it comes down to 'who can snipe better'. And I hate sniping. I find it boring.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    vsove wrote: »
    To hell with snipers. That is all.

Actually, no, that's not all - I agree Thegreatcow. I've never looked forward to guns being nerfed as much as I'm looking forward to snipers getting nerfed. It is ridiculous - if the other team is halfway competent as snipers, usually it comes down to 'who can snipe better'. And I hate sniping. I find it boring.

A-freaking men. I also hope the change to spawn invulnerability improves things. Nothing lime getting spawn camped on the big wide open street areas of the Kabul City Ruins to destroy your faith in humanity....

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, I've maxed my spec ops and rifleman. So now the game is forcing me to play sniper in order to max out the class. Only 6 more levels to go! I think I'll try and play with the G3 though, under-powered though it may be.
    I'm not sure where you guys stand on being a sniper but personally I hate camping. So that means I've got my pistol out most of the time while I'm on the move. Pistols are good in this game.

Btw, I haven't had that much trouble with snipers lately. There's the odd asshole who camps the hell out of the game but I usually get to him before long. Knowing the typical sniper spots helps a bunch.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    alexkiddalexkidd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For the past week or so I've been trying to play medal of honor on the ps3 and I've been running into the same issue time and time again. I'm able to join games no problem but about 5 minutes into the game I get kicked and a message pops up claiming the servers are unavailable. Does anyone else get this? And has anyone else had this problem with other EA/DICE games? (happens to me on Battlefield games also).

alexkidd on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    alexkidd wrote: »
    For the past week or so I've been trying to play medal of honor on the ps3 and I've been running into the same issue time and time again. I'm able to join games no problem but about 5 minutes into the game I get kicked and a message pops up claiming the servers are unavailable. Does anyone else get this? And has anyone else had this problem with other EA/DICE games? (happens to me on Battlefield games also).

I've had that a few times (a lot during beta though) but I'm on pc. Maybe there's an issue with your connection and it defaults to that message on disconnect?

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there any way to get more ammo in multiplayer? In Bad Company 2, you could just get it from an ammo box from assault classes, but MOH works differently. I've actually been defending in Combat Mission and had to resort to the pistol after running out of rifle ammo.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is there any way to get more ammo in multiplayer? In Bad Company 2, you could just get it from an ammo box from assault classes, but MOH works differently. I've actually been defending in Combat Mission and had to resort to the pistol after running out of rifle ammo.

If you check your mini-map you should see a symbol with 3 bullets somewhere on the map. These signify the position of ammo crates. All you have to do is stand next to them and touch them and it should refill all of your weapon ammo. Also if you run over a recently killed opponent and he's using the same weapon (or class? I can never tell) as you are, it will also refill your ammo. You'll here a tinkling of brass casings to designate when you've actually refilled.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm trying to beat MoH before I stuff it back in it's envelope and send it back to whence it came. Almost couldn't beat the last level due to a game bug that wouldn't let me continue.

The enemy is supposed to retreat into the depths of a cave after a fight. However, instead of doing that, they'd go into the cave, and then come right back out to where I was. I'd kill them and the ally AI would never get the trigger to move the game forward.

Infuriating.

One guy last night went 54 and 1. He kept getting air strikes and would call them in on the enemy spawn and just rack up kills.

I've gotten better at the online portion.

Slow and steady wins that race.

Sheep on
  • Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Combat mission and Sector Control > Team Assault.

Normally, I favor the TDM, but the whole "Everybody SNIPE" thing in Team Assault drove me over the edge. Even without a working headset, CM and SC are streets ahead of Team Assault. It's only about 30% of the games where I have to deal with my team hanging out in the spawn area and sniping away instead of pushing to capture a sector, and, while still infuriating, is far more palatable than what seems to occur in Team Assault.

twotimesadingo on
    PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Normally, I favor the TDM, but the whole "Everybody SNIPE" thing in Team Assault drove me over the edge. Even without a working headset, CM and SC are streets ahead of Team Assault. It's only about 30% of the games where I have to deal with my team hanging out in the spawn area and sniping away instead of pushing to capture a sector, and, while still infuriating, is far more palatable than what seems to occur in Team Assault.

I actually dream about those scenarios simply for the rare but oh-so-satisfying moments when you manage to flank around to their spawn and come upon 4-5 SNIPERS all huddled behind a barrier with their backs turned.....and axing them all in the head...so derricious.... :D

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I actually dream about those scenarios simply for the rare but oh-so-satisfying moments when you manage to flank around to their spawn and come upon 4-5 SNIPERS all huddled behind a barrier with their backs turned.....and axing them all in the head...so derricious.... :D

Got a triple kill with a RPG on a group of those. So good.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I did this yesterday in Team Assault. Everyone but two people on the other team were snipers.. ran into both of them on the way, killed them, and then axed five people in the back of the head before someone finally managed to kill me.

Snipers are a plague upon this game. Which is unfortunate, because I actually enjoy it when it isn't SniperFest 2010. Combat Mission is a blast, though.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I did this yesterday in Team Assault. Everyone but two people on the other team were snipers.. ran into both of them on the way, killed them, and then axed five people in the back of the head before someone finally managed to kill me.

Snipers are a plague upon this game. Which is unfortunate, because I actually enjoy it when it isn't SniperFest 2010. Combat Mission is a blast, though.

Amen. I'm looking forward to new weapons honestly more than anything else. After fiddling with all the weapons, the defaults with just the open tipped ammo and the red dot sight/scope are all you really need. pretty much everyone at the high level is using them all across the board, there's no variety. Honestly all classes could use at least a couple of more options. And buff the G3 goddam! That bloody thing takes 3-5 shots to put someone down, might as well use the m21 instead. Gah...

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    Every1talksEvery1talks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Overall all I enjoyed the game on the 360. Only one bug incident and it cleared up on restart.

Multiplayer is probaby the best part of the game so far. Have to agree there is a slew of flipping snipers and they need to move up quickly after an objective is taken.

Out of the clases and combos I have gotten to I like playing the rifleman using the SAW/ReD Dot and laying down some supressing fire. My K/D Sucks but if we win it is worth it.

Every1talks on
    Gaming, Podcasting and Chuck. Could life get any better? Maybe! Chuck out WWW.WEHEARTCHUCK.COM
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So.... anyone else feeling the pain of Tier 1 mode?
    With the few forgivable bugs in normal mode, it makes Tier 1 mode nearly impossible.

"Hey a guy's head is behind that wood crate which has been shot to hell. I can see it. Aim...aim..steady..shoot. No hit. Ok lets try that again. No hit. Hmm aw shit he sees me, ah shit, I'm dead."

*level restarts, inviso-walls continue to dampen fun factor. Punch mothers in frustration*

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

If you check your mini-map you should see a symbol with 3 bullets somewhere on the map. These signify the position of ammo crates. All you have to do is stand next to them and touch them and it should refill all of your weapon ammo. Also if you run over a recently killed opponent and he's using the same weapon (or class? I can never tell) as you are, it will also refill your ammo. You'll here a tinkling of brass casings to designate when you've actually refilled.

Huh, I don't think I actually realized that's what those were for. I feel dumb now.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I see that the new maps are due to hit Nov 2nd. Has there been any word on when the balance patch is supposed to be pushed?

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I see that the new maps are due to hit Nov 2nd. Has there been any word on when the balance patch is supposed to be pushed?

Sadly no. :( all we know is that it's coming "soon", I'd wager irony probably come right around the new map pack.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    One major problem I have with objective is that each side has different boundaries. Which means that if a bunch of snipers are hold up in a room I can't drop a Killstreak/Scorechain/whatever on them because it won't let me.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    One major problem I have with objective is that each side has different boundaries. Which means that if a bunch of snipers are hold up in a room I can't drop a Killstreak/Scorechain/whatever on them because it won't let me.

Yea, that only seems to happen in a few places, but when it does, it's really disconcerting. I think the idea is to keep the attacking teams more focused on the objective and not allowing them to flank into the defenders' spawn just to farm kills.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yea, that only seems to happen in a few places, but when it does, it's really disconcerting. I think the idea is to keep the attacking teams more focused on the objective and not allowing them to flank into the defenders' spawn just to farm kills.

And I like that but I think you should be able to aim at that stuff. Though I did get another triple kill off of a rocket on some snipers. It allowed my team to make it to the objective and we won. Feels good man.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of killstreaks, I cannot seem to use the Air Strike without killing myself. Granted, I take like 4-5 of them with me, but the radius on that thing is huge.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of killstreaks, I cannot seem to use the Air Strike without killing myself. Granted, I take like 4-5 of them with me, but the radius on that thing is huge.

I've had this everytime with the Cruise Missile. The cam on the thing should have big arrow pointing to your location "YOU ARE HERE".
    Getting sniped while staring through the binoculars after you've launched is another nuisance.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    New patch hitting today, as well as the two DLCs! Notes here:

Server
    - Lowered scores on all defensive support actions
    - Changed spawn points on Shah-i-Khot Mountains, Combat Mission
    - Changed spawn points on Kandahar Marketplace, Sector Control
    - Changed spawn points on Kandahar Marketplace, Team Assault
    - Changed spawn points on Diwagal Camp, Sector Control
    - Changed spawn points on Kunar Base, Sector Control
    - Changed spawn points on Kabul City Ruins, Sector Control
    - Changed spawn points on Kabul City Ruins, Team Assault
    - Changed spawn points on Garmzir Town, Sector Control
    - Changed spawn points on Garmzir Town, Team Assault
    - Tweaked damage on M16 and M24
    - Tweaked damage on M4
    Client
    - Added Hot Zone and Clean Sweep (added the levels/UI changes in server browser etc)
    - Server browser makes snapshot instead of subscribing to servers
    - Fixed hang when joining on a friend that’s playing on a password protected server
    - Ribbons and medals no longer appear on unranked servers
    - Added aiming spot in binoculars in hardcore mode
    - Added text chatting while dead and in end of round
    - Increased the points needed to win a domination/tdm game
    - Decreased accuracy while shooting from the hip
    - Increased the amount of recoil and spread
    - Added server details in loading screens and spawn screen
    - Fixed an issue where holding your breath and moving forward would take you out of scope
    GENERAL
    • Fixed the scenario when joining a friend on a password protected server caused a hang
    • Ribbons and medals appear on unranked servers
    • Jumping and shooting at the same time now affects the ability to be accurate with the weapons
    • Added aiming spot in binoculars in hardcore mode
    • Holding your breath and moving forward no longer takes you out of scope
    • Modifications in weapon behaviour *see weapon tweaks below
    • Increased the points needed to win a Domination/TDM game
    -- Increased TDM score from 1200 to 1400 points
    -- Increased Sector Control score from 1800 to 2600 points
    • Decreased accuracy while shooting from the hip
    • Cut points from score chain rewards in half
    • Addressed the sniper rifle damage to bring the sniper rifle more in line with the other kits
    • Increased the amount of recoil and spread *see weapon tweaks below
    • Changed immortal time to 1.9 from 1.6 seconds after spawn to prevent the scenario of spawning in the open only to be shot on spawn in

WEAPONS
    • Assault Rifles
    -- Increased recoil
    -- Deviation
    --- Increased deviation when not zooming
    --- Deviation bug fixed (increased while shooting)
    -- Lowered close range damage
    -- Jumping deviation increased
    • Carbines
    -- Increased recoil
    -- Deviation
    --- Increased deviation when not zooming
    --- Deviation increses faster than assault rifles
    --- Deviation bug fixed (increased while shooting)
    -- Jumping deviation increased
    • Sniper rifles
    -- Headshot does the most damage
    -- Less damage from bolt action
    --- 2 shots to kill on body from long range
    --- 1 shot on body from short range
    ---- Normal: 8m
    ---- Ammo 2: 10m
    ---- Range: 9.6m
    -- Increased recoil on semi-automatic
    • Soldier
    -- Damage by hit point
    --- Head
    ---- Headshots as before
    --- Body
    ---- Body shots as before
    --- Arms and legs
    ---- 20% less damage

DLCs are Clean Sweep (free) and Hot Zone (9.99), each of which includes a new game type, two new maps, and two reworked maps.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    PC only? Shame.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Is this a PC patch, or consoles too?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I hate to say it, because I did have a lot of fun with MoH, but it hit the 'game is no longer fun but rather just frustrating' point a lot quicker than any of the CoD games have. Hell, the only recent FPS that I can still play on a regular basis and enjoy myself more than I'm frustrated with the gameplay is BC2.

Too bad. I like large chunks of the multiplayer, but this patch is too little too late for me.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh right, forgot about you console folks.

Both the DLCs are coming to consoles as well (800 MS points for Hot Zone on Xbox), but the patch notes seem to suggest PC-only. Which seems a bit odd to me, but their site doesn't seem to have a concise dump for patch notes.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Too bad. I like large chunks of the multiplayer, but this patch is too little too late for me.

I mean, the game's been out for three weeks, and we're up to two patches and two DLCs. The game certainly has its problems, but they've been pretty darn responsive with the updates.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Huh, well I'm certainly glad they dropped the patch at last, but I echo your sentiments vsove. The only reason I'm still playing this is because the PC version of MW2 is actually more frustrating than this because of all the cheating and exploits, but honestly, once BLOPS shows up, I'll probably be dropping this for BLOPS simply due just to the sheer lack of content and variety ( weapons/unlocks etc). I'll still put the patch through it's paces tonight for sure though. I'll update the op tonight for sure.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think the only thing keeping me from going back to BC2 is that the gunplay feels qualitatively better. It takes less time to kill guys and the shooting feels smoother.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I mean, the game's been out for three weeks, and we're up to two patches and two DLCs. The game certainly has its problems, but they've been pretty darn responsive with the updates.

Oh, for sure. They've been pretty good about supporting the game, but I hit my frustration limit already. The sheer ridiculousness of the one-hit body kills from snipers was nearly enough for me to end up with a controller-shaped hole in my patio door.

I play games to have fun, and honestly, I wasn't having fun with MoH after about the eighth time I ended up on a team of all-snipers fighting another team of all-snipers. Plus getting spawn-killed at the beginning of the damn round - that shouldn't even be possible, yet it seemed to happen with alarming regularity.

I'm heading back to BC2. It may be frustrating at times, but at least I have fun on a more consistent basis.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.