As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania] - BITCH, I EAT PEOPLE!

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Weird, the button to show spoilers is gone when I look at the forum now. Not that I should be clicking on them anyway, but it's still weird. I picked this up this morning. Installing now. Finally get to see how awful it really is.

• Options
    MNC IrvingMNC Irving Registered User regular
    Question for the folks who've put a little time into Lords of Shadow 2 so far:

How is it?

I know that's really open-ended and sounds a little goofy, but allow me to contextualize. I played the first game, and the experience felt like a roller coaster. At first, I was floored at how well it played, God of War derivative though it was. I never suffered under any delusions of wishing it to be another Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow. Moving forward with it, I was amazed at the time taken constructing the world. Little scraps of detail, like enemy descriptions that were neither too long nor too short, environment designs that were stunning, etc. Then, following a level completion, I realized how long the game was likely to take. Each section was taking me X minutes, and there were Y sections across Z chapters, and so on. This was likely not happening. I didn't like it THAT much, you know?

But I moved through a couple more and was impressed at the largely successful attempts to vary up the gameplay, interspersing bits of light platforming and some other small wrinkles in mechanics. After more time, however, the ridiculous dialogue and seemingly "mandated from on high" encounters drowned out my enjoyment and I stopped.

Up and down, up and down. That was LoS to me. Mirror of Fate was perfectly serviceable and I zipped through it, again liking the peripheral world flavor stuff. A few days ago, I tried the LoS 2 demo and immediately loved the setup of Dracula on the throne along with the atmosphere surrounding it, and wondered if the game was striving for a more personal touch. Again, the combat felt nice, too. Aaaaaand then the characters starting talking and unnecessarily grandiose Pompeii 3D shit went down, and I felt ripped back to the days of middle school notebook comics. The human moment vanished.

From that perspective, is the demo indicative of the full title?

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I'm going to pick this up today because I am a Lords of Shadow apologist and I will suffer through shitty stealth sections if it means I get to be Gabriel Belmont and fuck shit up for real with sick parries and proper magic management again.

I couldn't find anything people hated about it other than the stealth bits and bland looking urban environments, which is surprising to me because the game is getting really low scores.

There are a lot of amazing games with odious mini game segments (looking at you, Curse of Monkey Island) that get exceptional scores. I'm wondering what else is wrong.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Weird, the button to show spoilers is gone when I look at the forum now. Not that I should be clicking on them anyway, but it's still weird. I picked this up this morning. Installing now. Finally get to see how awful it really is.

I had that issue earlier; if you clear your cache, you should get everything back.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm going to pick this up today because I am a Lords of Shadow apologist and I will suffer through shitty stealth sections if it means I get to be Gabriel Belmont and fuck shit up for real with sick parries and proper magic management again.
    Thankfully you don't play as Gabriel Belmont in this.

You're Dracula and he wipes his ass with Gabriel's hero routine.

You are the Dragon.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    There are a lot of amazing games with odious mini game segments (looking at you, Curse of Monkey Island) that get exceptional scores. I'm wondering what else is wrong.

Not a damn thing. And the modern day city itself, a lot of the city scapes look just like its a giant castle complex. There are no dull and mundane skyscrapers in Castlevania City. My favorite part of the modern day segment was going through a dilapidated mental hospital that looked right out of Silent Hill.
    MNC Irving wrote: »
    I was floored at how well it played, God of War derivative though it was.

This really gets under my skin. Having played both Lords of Shadow, and all of the God of War series and being a fan of hack and slash games and technical brawlers I can tell that it is certainly not derivative and both series combat is handled completely different ways with different priorities, button configurations, combat flow, and how they handle blocking and dodging. I've never seen a critique into comparing either series combat to defend such statements that goes beyond "but both series use whips" or "they're like third person action games." It's like saying Ninja Gaiden is derivative of Devil May Cry because swords and stuff.

That rant aside, is the demo indicative of the full title? Not really. In the demo you'll just be button mashing and not really thinking about what combos to use because you don't have any kind of move list or your travel book with all of the abilities that you can learn in any order you choose, it lacks any showing of the kind of customization you can give Dracula in which moves you'd prefer to learn and master first based on how you're more likely to play.

And you'll never be climbing on a titan in the main game either, and you'll have items and subweapon type abilities to compliment you in combat. I'd say the demo represents basically 10% of what combat in the full game is like.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Viskod wrote: »
    This really gets under my skin. Having played both Lords of Shadow, and all of the God of War series and being a fan of hack and slash games and technical brawlers I can tell that it is certainly not derivative and both series combat is handled completely different ways with different priorities, button configurations, combat flow, and how they handle blocking and dodging. I've never seen a critique into comparing either series combat to defend such statements that goes beyond "but both series use whips" or "they're like third person action games." It's like saying Ninja Gaiden is derivative of Devil May Cry because swords and stuff.

They're both third person adventure games that focus almost entirely on combat. They absolutely belong in the same category. I'm 100% certain that if God of War had not been made and hadn't been so successful, LoS never would have happened.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    There's a difference in being in the same genre and being derivative.

Viskod on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The first one was definitely an ebb and flow experience. It had a lot of quieter moments that were reflective of Gabriel himself and his journey. After the time I put in last night, the game seems to be following Gabriel's path again, but in a much different way. As his power returns, the pace and scale increase with it. It's a constant build up so far. There are quiet moments, sure, mainly dealing with Gabriel when he's reminded of the man he used to be, but the pace is much tighter.

As far as the bland environments complaint goes..look, I don't ever accuse reviewers of shit, but I have to wonder just how much of the fucking game they played if they keep harping on bland modern environments. Are they less interesting than the castle? Early on, hell yes they are. But as you progress, the city and the castle begin to merge and you start seeing the foundations that the city was built on. The castle is ever present.

Now, the modern stealth sections aren't my favorite part at all. I could do without them, especially when you're in the factory because I flat out just don't like stealth gameplay. But the sections I've played thus far in the castle haven't bothered me a bit. In fact, the first one was fairly tense because of what was going on to make Gabriel hide.

Honestly, I don't know why it's getting the level of hate it is. I hold the first in extremely high regard, and this one is giving it a run for its money as I get farther into the game. The art direction, the scale, the story, the sheer bad assery you can accomplish as you gain new powers and combat abilities, it's all damn near perfect to me. I just don't know how far some of the reviewers got, because all the complaints seem to stem from the first 2-3 hours of the game.

• Options
    I was floored at how well it played, God of War derivative though it was.

Hmm, yeah, I can see how what I wrote might sound demeaning toward to the LoS experience. I don't mean to dismiss LoS and various GoW's as the same game - they're clearly not. This casual language probably stems from combat- and combo-heavy brawlers like this overstaying their welcomes with me too many times over the years through excessive game length and oversaturation of titles (personal opinion, obviously).

I do think that LoS likely started its existence from the God of War template, and I'd bet money that Mercurysteam pitched it to Konami as "God of War meets Castlevania." Also, when I say "derivative" I don't mean the same thing as clone. To my mind, clones add nothing worthwhile to their inspiration and oftentimes fail to live up to genre expectations. By contrast, derivatives use the general mechanics of genre-definers as a starting point and sprinkle in unique bits throughout. However, they rarely branch outside of the safe zone, content to expand the bubble rather than burst it.

Outside of the combat, though, how is the narrative flow? I'm really curious about the world and how it's presented.

• Options
    cr0w wrote: »
    The first one was definitely an ebb and flow experience. It had a lot of quieter moments that were reflective of Gabriel himself and his journey. After the time I put in last night, the game seems to be following Gabriel's path again, but in a much different way. As his power returns, the pace and scale increase with it. It's a constant build up so far. There are quiet moments, sure, mainly dealing with Gabriel when he's reminded of the man he used to be, but the pace is much tighter.

As far as the bland environments complaint goes..look, I don't ever accuse reviewers of shit, but I have to wonder just how much of the fucking game they played if they keep harping on bland modern environments. Are they less interesting than the castle? Early on, hell yes they are. But as you progress, the city and the castle begin to merge and you start seeing the foundations that the city was built on. The castle is ever present.

Now, the modern stealth sections aren't my favorite part at all. I could do without them, especially when you're in the factory because I flat out just don't like stealth gameplay. But the sections I've played thus far in the castle haven't bothered me a bit. In fact, the first one was fairly tense because of what was going on to make Gabriel hide.

Honestly, I don't know why it's getting the level of hate it is. I hold the first in extremely high regard, and this one is giving it a run for its money as I get farther into the game. The art direction, the scale, the story, the sheer bad assery you can accomplish as you gain new powers and combat abilities, it's all damn near perfect to me. I just don't know how far some of the reviewers got, because all the complaints seem to stem from the first 2-3 hours of the game.

Cool, thanks. I also notice a nasty preponderance in game reviews of early game opinions dominating the text. Do reviewers just stop taking notes after the first couple of hours? I don't care so much about scores, but I'd appreciate if the body of the review covered my full $60, not just the first $10 (assuming we break down cost by hours played).

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Outside of the combat, though, how is the narrative flow? I'm really curious about the world and how it's presented.
    It's definitely more interesting than LOS to me. That might be the Castlevania fanboy in me though becuase a lot of it takes place in the castle like older games. The tone is very grim and hopeless, you're not a hero on a mission. You're Dracula on a mission for your worst enemy to save your ass from a mutual foe.

Theres an interesting conflict I don't want to spoil but the castle itself is kind of an ongoing character/nemesis. It's really freaky.

The protagonist is certainly alot more appealing now with a good old fashioned badass curse and you get to see how ridiculously fucking huge Castle Bernhard has got under Dracula management.

He's got a giant lava city down there.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    it's like batman: arkham asylum with improved los1 combat. same with narrative flow, there are obvious plot movement moments and then fill stuff in yourself from various logs and notes and surroundings.

my fav bit of that has to be the first time you step into the city of the damned.

• Options
    Ah. I see, well that's totally understandable. I can't speak for the story too much because I haven't finished the game and have been trying to avoid cutscenes while watching gameplay but from where I'm at the story is basically playing out just how the end of LoS1s epilogue set it up.

I'm going to give a basic rundown of where the story is at the start of the game, I'm not going to spoil anything specifically and try to be as general as I can, but I'm going to spoiler this all anyway just to be super extra safe.
    Satan is on his way back, and Zobek is terrified of getting hit butt whooped and wants Draculas help in stopping Satans return to earth. The game sets it up early on that there are three acolytes in charge of Satans earthly resurrection and Zobek sends Dracula out to find them since they lost all trace of Dracula or believe him to be obliterated after the opening you saw in the demo.

So there's that plot, but also going on at the same time, is Dracula being drawn into his old castle by a vision of his son Trevor as young boy. Its here where they kind of set up a conflict between Gabriel the person, his persona as Dracula, and a conflict between who he's been and who he really is.

There's also this question of "how real is this?" when you're in the castle and its an interesting thing to consider because Draculas castle has always kind of existed with him and because of him, when he's slain it crumbles and vanishes, and when he resurrects it appears again. Even without him proper the castle itself still manifests because of the power and chaos of its nature, like in Aria of Sorrow.

I kind of get the feeling that because of precedence set in this game, and throughout the series that if Dracula in Lords of Shadow 2 really wanted to, he could probably raise his castle from beneath this modern city and just destroy the city in the process. So in short the story, at least at the start of the game focuses on your typical gotta stop bad dudes from bringing to earth badder dude while also from time to time, closing its focus in on Gabriel specifically and deals with just who is he, and what does he really want and what happened to him after the siege.

• Options
    I do like how the mastery system is getting me out of my comfort zone.

Never somersaulted in the first game, been experimenting with it lately to get the percentage up for the whip strike with it.

• Options
    This all sounds awesome. To hell with the reviewers! Thanks, guys.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Enjoying what I've played so far, but I ended just after getting the Void Sword so I am not super far in.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Whenever anyone complains that LoS ripped off God of War, I just remind them that Lament of Innocence was released in 2003. God of War is from 2006.

• Options
    City actually looks pretty nice. Can't compare to the castle levels but still.
    PjcVX33.jpg
    qA3Gu7U.jpg
    9uNprzs.jpg
    3nO6bCt.jpg
    WQkQDZP.jpg

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Glad to see you guys are enjoying it, I'll probably end up picking it up when I have the money.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    City actually looks pretty nice. Can't compare to the castle levels but still.
    PjcVX33.jpg
    qA3Gu7U.jpg
    9uNprzs.jpg
    3nO6bCt.jpg
    WQkQDZP.jpg
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I want to live in Castlevania City.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Also
    Interesting to see magic and Dracula are well known in the modern day.

You would think they would go the typical "oh, thats just a bunch of legends" route but there are memorials to the Brotherhood of Light and everything.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Anyone used DS4Tool to play LoS on PC with a PS4 controller? Curious if it would work, I don't want to get the PS3 version if I can have sweet, sweet HD textures.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I play with a 360 controller so I can't help there

I can say, though, that getting this on PC is worth it

@SilverWind even said she's really glad I got it on PC because it looks so much better than the demo did on my 360

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I loved that take on the gorgons.

Me too

If by that you mean it made me say out loud "Holy shit that's disconcerting"

But the monster/demon design in this game is really top notch. The third boss is just super, super unsettling in the face

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I haven't been paying much attention to this game since the first real trailer and then skimming some reviews yesterday.

I see a mini-map in the corner of that screenshot. I like what that says about the game and the gameplay they're going for. It makes me think of the metroidvania games, though I know this is not that.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I play with a 360 controller so I can't help there

I can say, though, that getting this on PC is worth it

@SilverWind even said she's really glad I got it on PC because it looks so much better than the demo did on my 360

Its been such a slow day at work that I'd be lying if I said I did not consider buying a second copy of LoS2 on Steam for my work computer....

• Options
    it works perfectly in the demo. PC version it is!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Renzo wrote: »
    I haven't been paying much attention to this game since the first real trailer and then skimming some reviews yesterday.

I see a mini-map in the corner of that screenshot. I like what that says about the game and the gameplay they're going for. It makes me think of the metroidvania games, though I know this is not that.

It actually has quite a few Metroid-derived elements to it, believe it or not

Get new powerups, backtrack to where you can use them, interconnected areas, etc.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    the only complaint I have so far is their need to have really overbearing tutorials. "YOU CAN'T DO THIS YET! *zoom in on what you can't do for 10 seconds, require you to push A to continue*"

other than that, such a blast.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I would like to join Viskod in saying fuck the haters.

Everybody can have opinions but reviews for this are baffling me. This is not a 6.5 game, it's a solid 8 atleast.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    If I ran a review site that used a 1-10 scale, I'd inevitably piss off everyone by having 5 actually be the average.

Bad games get 1-4.
    5 is average.
    Good games get 6-9.

Truly special cases may warrant a 0 or 10, but it'd be unlikely to see either of those. Thus your average 'great game' will probably get a 7 or 8 an incur the wrath of the fanboys.
    Then two years down the line once I have everyone's trust, I sell out to EA or whoever and hand out 10s like candy so I can retire early.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I have to wonder how many people bitch in about this being a GoW rip off ever played Rygar or Lament of Innocence.

cr0w on
  • Options
    I've always seen a six as abit above average so when someone gives a 6.5, to me it's like they're saying "it's almost a good game. Almost."

• Options
    I have to wonder how many people bitch in about this being a GoW rip off ever played Rygar or Lament of Innocence.

I wouldn't use the word "ripoff." It's too careless, too reductive, and carries the undeserved luxury of being dismissive while shirking the burden of context.

I liked Rygar, though. I assume you mean the PS2 remake, although that works for both the arcade and NES games, too. Blech to the Wii one.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Legacy of Kain: Defiance came out in 2003.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Legacy of Kain: Defiance came out in 2003.

Ugh, I have no interest in Nosgoth but a dark part of me hopes it does well enough to warrant actual LoK games because holy shit do I miss them.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

I wouldn't use the word "ripoff." It's too careless, too reductive, and carries the undeserved luxury of being dismissive while shirking the burden of context.

I liked Rygar, though. I assume you mean the PS2 remake, although that works for both the arcade and NES games, too. Blech to the Wii one.

Yeah, the PS2 one, which I thoroughly enjoyed for some reason. It was a beautiful game for its time. Doesn't hurt that I'm a massive fan of the NES game.

• Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014

I'm one of those people who will bitch and complain about the God of War "ripoff" aspects until the end of time. I played both Rygar and Lament of Innocence... And they are nothing like God of War. But Lords of Shadow is. Perhaps not in the nitty gritty of the gameplay, but they took notes on presentation and world functionality almost exclusively from GoW. The gameplay is solid in LoS, and definitely it's own thing... But they took all the window dressing God of War had for themselves. I don't see how people can't see it. At a glance it looks like GoW with a different skin. That said, I appreciate the things it does differently and think it elevates it above any of the God of War games.

That being said... I'm baffled at the scores as well. Granted the stealth bits are wonky, but they seem to be less intrusive than the occasional level in the original that was dedicated to breaking up the flow of the game. The laser puzzle level early on, the chupacabra stole your stuff level, the music box level. They all made me want to slam my head in a car door, really. Overall this one seems to be the same as part one except less of the bad and more of what worked with A+ atmosphere and art direction. With an extra dash of exploration! I was afraid this was going to be a ball dropped, but it seems like an improvement on the original in every way.

So far, anyway.

Off topic edit: Wasn't the Wii Rygar just the PS2 one with waggle and a different skin for the player character?

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh dear. These Kleidos Challenges.

Beat three waves of 5 possessed citizens and 2 Satan Soldiers.

You earn badges for optional conditions and each challenges in a set takes a minimum number to try.

There are a total of four badges per challenge and they all vary with the fourth always being getting all three unique ones in one try.

That challenge above has these.

1 survive
    2 no void or chaos magic
    3 perfect focus for 30 seconds straight
    4 badges 1,2, and 3 on the same attempt.

Yeesh.