As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Trading Cards 2011 [Checklist Available!]

• Options
    ShervynShervyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Approach 3 please.

And I will have both sets with me.

Shervyn on
    A man who could afford $50 had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in 10 yrs' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a $100 on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. -Vimes
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As long as someone can give me a simple template that is compatible with GIMP, I'm good either way. Though for the amount of time we have left, I'll vote for 2, so the old cards can be reused (unless they have the year on them, then I'd say 3).

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am in for cards this year.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I would like to do cards this year, if a simple template is provided (since I'm pretty fail without one).

I'd say Approach 2 or 3 (since this is my first year doing them it doesn't really matter for me I guess).

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Rex BeaversRex Beavers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I Like Approach 3.

I prefer the idea of a new set every year. As it goes on, I imagine people will try to complete previous sets in addition to the new one.

Rex Beavers on
  • Options
    LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Definately in for these, as a first-timer I'm not fussed about the format of the cards though. I also have to wonder how things will work for those of us coming in from overseas re getting the cards printed up...

Landerolin on
    Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • Options
    Bigtoy_JBigtoy_J Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am down with either approach 2 or 3. I have a lot of card left over from last year, but they have the "cherry" on them. I can either do a new set, or grab a sharpie....

Bigtoy_J on
    Love George Bernard Shaw quotations.

Also, I can count to "boat".
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Based on everyone's feedback here's what I'm thinking right now:

We call this series "PAX East Trading Cards Revised". I will update the template slightly, mostly to add/remove badges. I will also update the checklist.

If you are new: Use the template to create your card. Make sure your card number is not already taken.

If you took part last year, but want to make a new card: You will create a "revised" version of your card. The number will be the same + "R" (So my new card will be 1R). You can change as much or as little of the information and pictures as you like.

If you want to re-use last years cards: Just do it.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sounds good to me, Dave.

Did you make the badges for the cards? I wanted to get some made for the Scavenger Hunt.

Rdr on
  • Options
    DreadPirateAmyDreadPirateAmy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm definitely in again this year. I managed to miss every single meet up last year, but I'll do better this time around.

And big props to Dave for putting this all together.

DreadPirateAmy on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sounds good Dave! I think I'll be sticking with my card from last year, but once the template is created, if anyone needs/wants help creating their card, drop me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help out :)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I HAVEN'T POSTED HERE YET??? DONT TAZE ME BRO!...
    Can we do a HOLOGRAPHIC SERIES?!?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I HAVEN'T POSTED HERE YET??? DONT TAZE ME BRO!...
    Can we do a HOLOGRAPHIC SERIES?!?

haha holographic would be cool but probably too late at this point for this East. We should see what all Jakprints can do with trading cards.

Rdr on
  • Options
    Reboot153Reboot153 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My brother did the trading cards last year and I know that I'd love to get in on it this year since it's my first PAX East. I'll keep an eye out for the template! :-)

Reboot153 on
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Excited to see the template! Holographic would be awweeeesome. Now to think about how to photograph, or even draw!, myself.

Squee!

Nullthread on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is a thing I would love to do. I read the OP and maybe I missed it, but where is the Template to make a card?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm in, still have a pile of last year's cards, so I'm going to probably reuse them. I may come up with something else fun to put with it as a bonus just for kicks.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    This is a thing I would love to do. I read the OP and maybe I missed it, but where is the Template to make a card?

The new template hasn't been posted yet. Probably won't be much longer.

Rdr on
  • Options
    valdemirovaldemiro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looking forward to this. Gotta catch em all!

valdemiro on
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can we get a list of members willing and able to help others out this year? If I remember correctly last year a handful of people with the right software volunteered their time to put your pictures/badges into the template for those of us without the right software.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    flatline wrote: »
    Can we get a list of members willing and able to help others out this year? If I remember correctly last year a handful of people with the right software volunteered their time to put your pictures/badges into the template for those of us without the right software.

I'm willing to help.

So far that makes only me and itzerokewl that have confirmed it. I think Goose! would be willing to help people out though.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The template will be available and people will be able to start helping within the next week.

If you would like a badge added please post it as a 100 x 100 gif or png. If you at least know what you would like the badge based on just link that. I'm pretty good at cutting down and cleaning up images. We will be eliminating the PAX Prime specific badges this year to promote more PAX East activities. A general PAX Prime badge will be added. Comments/discussion on this encouraged.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Pokemon league has some icons. :P

PokePatchPokeBall.png
    PokePatchUltraBall.png

They'll probably need to be transparentized?

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've decided to do new cards with the new template.

Also I am going to make an icon for the Scavenger Hunt tonight/tomorrow for people interested in using it.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alright here is my finalized icon for the Scavenger Hunt:

23sivm8.jpg

I made another one which incorporated the PAX East logo but I suppose it was a bit redundant. This one is more mysterious!

Rdr on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wasnt able to do this last year :(, but am doing it this time!

Gimme template! Gimmegimmegimmegimme...

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This will be the first time I'll be messing about with this. I didn't even know it existed last year!! Seriously stoked for it tho.:!!: I've my basic idea just need the template to drop everything into. <3 to the folks who are creating it.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm so doing cards this year and will probably make an event one for the girls meetup (maybe, we'll see >.>). Anyway, here is the badge for the Girls Meetup that Djiem was so kind to design for us. <3

5343336441_6ed8c7a167_o.png

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm so doing cards this year and will probably make an event one for the girls meetup (maybe, we'll see >.>). Anyway, here is the badge for the Girls Meetup that Djiem was so kind to design for us. <3

Duuuuuuude, that's really cool! Now make one for the guys and you can turn the two of them into awesome gamer t-shirts! You'll be rich! :P

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That's an awesome logo...props to Djiem!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    itzerokewl wrote: »

That's an awesome logo...props to Djiem!

But it doesn't look like a penis...

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So... I was going to finish the template tonight but the video card just broke on my computer with Photoshop. I am going to try to remedy the situation but I can make no promises at this point.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I can help; I have CS2 in home computer and CS5 at work (official title is "Designer"--- but I'm just all the architects' bitch.)

Nullthread on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nullthread wrote: »

I can help; I have CS2 in home computer and CS5 at work (official title is "Designer"--- but I'm just all the architects' bitch.)

I'll shoot you a PM if I can't get something going in the next day.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Computer back up and running... I am working on the template tonight. Let me know if you have any badge requests.

For badges:
    From last year
    Assassins
    BYOC
    Cookie Brigade
    Cosplay
    Enforcer
    Fancy Dinner
    IRC
    Magical Mystery Tour East
    Omeganaught
    PAX East Train Alliance
    Post PAX Dinner
    Pre PAX Dinner
    Rookie
    Pokemon Pub Crawl
    Twitter

New this year
    PPL Challenger
    PPL Gym Leader
    Scavenger Hunt
    Girls Meetup
    PAX Prime (still need)

Removed this year
    Buttoneer
    Canadian Super Trip
    Cross-Country Super Trip
    Magical Mystery Tour Prime
    Tri-Wizard Pub Crawl
    West Coast Train Trip

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What's the Omeganaut badge for? O.o;

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    What's the Omeganaut badge for? O.o;

It was for people who were an Omeganaut in the past, since most people get the cards printed before the calls go out.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay, here is the template and an example. Let me know if I missed anything. Also let me know if you need help or would like to help. I will organize the OP again within the next few days, including detailed instructions on how to create your cards and how to order.

davefront2011_small.pngdaveback2011_small.png

template: front | back

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How big are the actual cards going to be? The challenger text on the Pokeball is unreadable as it is now, I may want to tweak it.

Also, could you release a GIMP version of the template? For some reason GIMP doesn't support CMYK, and not all of us can spring for a copy of photoshop. =\

Edit: Is it a coincidence that the badge looks a lot like a Pokedex? :D

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    How big are the actual cards going to be? The challenger text on the Pokeball is unreadable as it is now, I may want to tweak it.

Also, could you release a GIMP version of the template? For some reason GIMP doesn't support CMYK, and not all of us can spring for a copy of photoshop. =\

Edit: Is it a coincidence that the badge looks a lot like a Pokedex? :D

The actual card is 3.5 x 2.5 (standard trading card size). The qualitiy of the previews is lower than the printed card. I will print a test one and let you know how it looks.

I will not be able to make a GIMP version, due to time and technical restraints, fortunately we have people to help you put a card together. (Exact details on this to follow... it will be the same as last year though)

PeasantDave on