As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Children Are Our Shitty Future

DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty DameRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
So this movie

Waiting_for_Superman.jpg

is currently making some waves. Haven't seen it yet, but apparently it mainly focuses on a few students who are in struggling school districts, and follows their troubles. America's education system, at least according to this film, is failing to provide the quality of education deserved by students, and much of this is attributed to so-called "academic sinkholes." In these 'sinkholes,' schools cannot attract or keep high-quality teachers, and so the education of students at these schools suffer dramatically.

It's heavy stuff, and is causing some backlash in the teaching community. Some feel that it is pointing an unfairly accusatory finger at teachers themselves, saying that they can only do so much in an essentially broken system. Others say that many of these teachers have grown complacent due to the tenure system, and should be judged solely on merit with no protection offered simply because of seniority.

Of course, that opens up the rather hairy issue of what exactly 'merit' should be measured by. If you go by test scores, teachers can simply teach to the test. If you go by student grades, teachers can inflate student grades. Meanwhile, the teachers who actually grade fairly and teach with an eye towards the students' overall academic preparation could easily be overlooked or rated poorly.

So I dunno, what do you think

Didgeridoo on

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was actually trying to become a teacher at one point

but I just can't handle bullshit of that magnitude

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know how to fix the education system.

It involves a complex system of wheels and pulleys and several thousand meters of twine.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ha, me too. Still am trying to become a teacher, actually.

Evidently I'm a touch masochistic?

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would only consider teaching at university level

I would really struggle to not punch a 15 year old version of me in the face

but yeah teacher assessment is kind of a really annoying topic that I've never heard of a satisfying solution to.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Put the education system on the end of a really long lever and see if we can lift it

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010
    It's a good thing this is a movie and not a book or no one born after 1990 would ever be able to absorb the content.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Remove the tenure. I've seen far more teachers use that as an excuse to be slackers and assholes than to push students or use new approaches. Besides, we already generally teach towards tests, inflate grades, and cater to parental complaints, so that's not really consequence.

As for how to measure merit, that's quite a tricky undertaking for any profession not a concrete product or making the company $texas.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Larlar wrote: »
    It's a good thing this is a movie and not a book or no one born after 1990 would ever be able to absorb the content.

i blame the schools

Raneados on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My housemate and I were watching the West Wing, and the president says something about education being a silver bullet

I say to my housemate "Do you think that's true? That education is a silver bullet?"

She replied "I do. That's why I want to become a teacher. Because I want a gun."

Also this movie looks cool I want to see it.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

if one was hypothetically born in 1990 would they be safe to read books?

YaYa on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still don't understand why grade school teachers need tenure.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    also I'm pretty sure we don't have tenure at high schools here at all. It seems pretty silly and pointless to be honest!

On the other hand, 80% of high school physics teachers have no university level physics education. None. I know more about physics than almost 80% of high school physics teachers in this country

L|ama on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    YaYa wrote: »

seriously this is important

i gotta know

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I actually really want to teach for a living.

To college students.

Two reasons for this. 1) I would only need a Master's in the field of my choice to teach it, for starters. Also, I wouldn't need to get an education degree.

2) The ratio of people who would actually give a fuck about the subject would be much higher than, say, a highschool classroom, especially for me because I want to teach history.

Oh and 3) I could get away with literally telling someone to "get the fuck out" of the room if they were disrespectful to other students or myself.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    also I'm pretty sure we don't have tenure at high schools here at all. It seems pretty silly and pointless to be honest!

On the other hand, 80% of high school physics teachers have no university level physics education. None. I know more about physics than almost 80% of high school physics teachers in this country

Well, I think an easy answer to that is if you actually have a physics degree

you could be making approximately a hojillion dollars more doing ANYTHING else with that degree than teaching

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010

That can be answered using the statistical distribution based off coin flips determined by the direction a rooster's laid egg falls off the peak of a slanted roof.

Does that make sense? I'd re-read my own post but I haven't learned how yet.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    gonna get my MFA

gonna teach printmaking to college students while making my art work

yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

for real though this film seems interesting and I would like to see it

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i dont know anything about this movie or about education but i really like this thread title

redhead on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That can be answered using the statistical distribution based off coin flips determined by the direction a rooster's laid egg falls off the peak of a slanted roof.

Does that make sense? I'd re-read my own post but I haven't learned how yet.

trick question

the eggs break when they hit the roof

solved

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah a physics degree is a fucking gold mine!

why is my internet so slow it took 5 minutes to post that, tell me that physics boys

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When does Superman appear in the film? Is it the end? Don't spoil it. (Is it)

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

To college students.

Two reasons for this. 1) I would only need a Master's in the field of my choice to teach it, for starters. Also, I wouldn't need to get an education degree.

2) The ratio of people who would actually give a fuck about the subject would be much higher than, say, a highschool classroom, especially for me because I want to teach history.

Oh and 3) I could get away with literally telling someone to "get the fuck out" of the room if they were disrespectful to other students or myself.

one of my chemistry lecturers has had about the worst language of any person I've met. It's funny seeing him on TV every now and then.
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »

Well, I think an easy answer to that is if you actually have a physics degree

you could be making approximately a hojillion dollars more doing ANYTHING else with that degree than teaching

Well I'm half way there (or will be in a month). Still got no idea what to do with the degree though.

L|ama on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    superman was inside the children all along

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010

never

there's a secret writing credit to samuel beckett

redhead on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

he shows up with Godot then they high-five George and Martha's son

fuck you redhead mine was better

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    superman was inside the children all along

CapSunshine.jpg

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yaya shows up just in time to eat all twelve of my dicks

redhead on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In the future will we have to eat children for nutrition or is the title a lie?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

To college students.

Then you really have not gone to college if you think you can do number 3 I can think of at least 8 different classes that fall into a failure of the reasons you gave to teach

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    you're already eating my dick though

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »

Well I mean, in comparison to teaching

Figures I've seen suggest a median salary range for physics majors of 95-100K. Not crazy good, but better than teaching

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    redhead wrote: »
    you're already eating my dick though

or am i??? *vanishes*

redhead on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah nobody ever thinks of paying teachers well enough to make the field competitive and desirable.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Figures I've seen suggest a median salary range for physics majors of 95-100K. Not crazy good, but better than teaching

I'm not sure if dave was being sarcastic or not, but it is pretty far up there

L|ama on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

yeah and there's like 3 guys with physics degrees who have jobs

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    petroleum engineering, huh

brb getting degree

redhead on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Yeah nobody ever thinks of paying teachers well enough to make the field competitive and desirable.

Well, on the one hand, Michelle Rhee literally offered to double teachers' salaries if they gave up tenure. She had a lot of ideas, unfortunately, teachers' unions are horrible, on the whole.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was born in 86 and i don't read. in your face larlar. I hear there is more of it then last time i saw you.

Melding on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »

Well, on the one hand, Michelle Rhee literally offered to double teachers' salaries if they gave up tenure. She had a lot of ideas, unfortunately, teachers' unions are horrible, on the whole.

That's part of the problem, yes.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such