As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    run an installer on linux for a sourced software?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Remote desktop into a virtual linux server running on the windows machine via the linux box using an iPad?

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Anyone run into this?

Apple user sending out an email to our Exchange/Outlook and the signature and the forwarded part of the email comes out as an attachment.

So you have signature attachment and then a body attachment and then in the body of the email you have text.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Probably an email client issue. Doesn't like inline attachments (signature) and is configured to attach the original message rather than display it inline.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Found the cause. Their AppleTalk server settings were causing Exchange to think everything after their stupid signature file was an attachment. So you would have body of text, signature attachment, forward attachment.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Huh never would've thought appletalk would be the cause.

• KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    So a pesky elementary schooler threw up something like 64 ounces worth of food on top of a macbook today at work. He or she managed to get all of it on the keyboard and none of it on the desk or floor. I am amazed and disgusted. My coworkers suggested that the apple warranty did not cover such an event. Who would have known.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Kharnastus wrote: »
    So a pesky elementary schooler threw up something like 64 ounces worth of food on top of a macbook today at work. He or she managed to get all of it on the keyboard and none of it on the desk or floor. I am amazed and disgusted. My coworkers suggested that the apple warranty did not cover such an event. Who would have known.

That's a rather precise weight you've given there...

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Replace that crap with an old Gateway laptop. Tell 'em it was all your replacement budget could afford.

Of course, your school district has way more money than mine did, our students got 5+ year old Dells, at best.

• KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So I was a wondering. What kind of speeds do large enterprise environments get for their whole building? Is there such thing as 1gbps or higher speeds for an entire building? Did some googling. turns out cable providers advertise 10Gbps speeds for high end customers. I want this in my apartment. Whats stopping me?

Kharnastus on
    Cost most likely. They tend to charge a premium, but also tend to provide better service with it. So when you call and say, hey my broadband is down, they don't say 'try to restart your computer and modem', they might actually get a network tech involved.

I'm sure those speeds are burst too though, just like home speeds.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I'm interviewing someone for a similar job to what I'm doing now. Network admin, server admin, and tech support. We're running mostly Microsoft with a couple Linux boxes as well. Any out of the ordinary questions that you've had posed in the past that I should ask?

Always ask them something basic - you have no idea how many people who don't know what port 22 is typically used for. Which leads me to question how much they actually know about anything.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I still haven't figured out if it's terrible or awesome that iD somehow managed to wangle port 666 for the exclusive use of Doom…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I'm interviewing someone for a similar job to what I'm doing now. Network admin, server admin, and tech support. We're running mostly Microsoft with a couple Linux boxes as well. Any out of the ordinary questions that you've had posed in the past that I should ask?

Always ask them something basic - you have no idea how many people who don't know what port 22 is typically used for. Which leads me to question how much they actually know about anything.

One question that I got asked during an interview process that I thought was awesome: "What's your favorite scripting language?" It's a simple question yet it will give you some pretty good insight into the person.

signature.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Hmmm.

Well this is annoying.

I can get our phones to connect via the appropriate VLANas long as it's the native VLAN for the switch port.

Which is not ideal because it means if you don't connect to the network via the phone's port then you get shunted into the VOIP vlan and get access to the internet the wrong way.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    itzerokewl wrote: »

One question that I got asked during an interview process that I thought was awesome: "What's your favorite scripting language?" It's a simple question yet it will give you some pretty good insight into the person.

You got a problem with fortran, bro?

First I'd asked them what they consider a scripting language.

Then I'd probably answer php, because fuck the haters.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    My favorite scripting language?

Whatever runs on the target machines without installing anything.

Mei Hikari wrote: »
    My favorite scripting language?

Whatever runs on the target machines without installing anything.

THIS!!!!

signature.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I know I only pop in here asking for help/advice.. but the H/A forum kinda isn't as well suited for this.

I've got a weird one on my hands, related to VMWare ESX and a SAN.

We have 3 ESX hosts running 4.1. These are connected by SAS SCSI cables to a SAN. The SAN has 2 controllers, and each controller has a daughter card that means each controller has SCSI jacks (3 of which are used, basically each host is plugged into each controller). The system does multi-pathing, with an active and a passive I/O channel to each LUN (there are 4).

I've got green balls of happiness across the entire system now, after getting the devices onto the "preferred" controllers for their setups.

Yet ESX Vcenter is reporting "Partial/No redundancy" on all the guests. WTF? According to everything I've read, that message only reflects the logical paths.. and by everything I can see, every VMHost should have 2 logical paths to the SAN. The only piece not duplicated is the SAN itself, and even it is running RAID.

I really can't figure this out. the only possible thing I have found that might make sense at this point is that it's a bug, but that bug only manifests when there is only a single iSCSI controller. I'm fairly certain that isn't the scenario I'm facing here...

any help?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Got the multipath software/licenses all installed and configured? The name escapes me

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's all there. In fact, I was able to switch paths without incident last night to take care of another issue.

the more I read, the more it looks like it's a display bug inherant to vCenter 4.1. 4.1 update 1, as well as newer versions of vCenter, fix the problem. Now it's just a matter of figuring out if upgrading is worth it, and how we're going to go about doing that without bringing down the whole system - or scheduling a time to do so.

In the process I did learn of plugins that IBM has provided to better manage the environment, though! So that's a plus. Again, gotta look into whether it is worth it.. my company kind of operates on the "upgrade firmware only if something is broke" mentality.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Something about the server room door being open makes people poke their heads in and say something "witty". One of my major annoyances from working IT for as long as I have.

urahonky wrote: »
    Something about the server room door being open makes people poke their heads in and say something "witty". One of my major annoyances from working IT for as long as I have.

"Messing up the server again?" Or some permutation of that is always fun.

Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah, it's all there. In fact, I was able to switch paths without incident last night to take care of another issue.

the more I read, the more it looks like it's a display bug inherant to vCenter 4.1. 4.1 update 1, as well as newer versions of vCenter, fix the problem. Now it's just a matter of figuring out if upgrading is worth it, and how we're going to go about doing that without bringing down the whole system - or scheduling a time to do so.

In the process I did learn of plugins that IBM has provided to better manage the environment, though! So that's a plus. Again, gotta look into whether it is worth it.. my company kind of operates on the "upgrade firmware only if something is broke" mentality.

Don't tell me you don't have a soldering iron?

Make it broke.

bowen wrote: »

I get "Is this the secret room!?" quote a lot.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Soliciting feedback on what exactly a 3-tier architecture is. The sticking point is, what is the DB tier?

My perpective is that DB tier is storage, while DB logic (MySQL/MSSQL services) resides in the application/business logic tier. So if I have a combo webserver/MySQL server running on a single physical server, while the datastore resides on a separate SAN, well that's 2 tiers. What say you guys?

SAN is considered addressable hardware by the server, so it'd still be 3 tier wouldn't it?

Djeet wrote: »
    Soliciting feedback on what exactly a 3-tier architecture is. The sticking point is, what is the DB tier?

My perpective is that DB tier is storage, while DB logic (MySQL/MSSQL services) resides in the application/business logic tier. So if I have a combo webserver/MySQL server running on a single physical server, while the datastore resides on a separate SAN, well that's 2 tiers. What say you guys?

Well, it's pretty abstract - the three tier architecture of presentation/business logic/database can be all on the same server. It's a logical separation above anything else.

It really depends on the kind of analysis you're doing.

Aside from the "Is this the secret room" quote I also got a lot, the other popular one was "So where is the bar?"...in their defense, my boss and I did often talk about the "wet bar in the server room" :D

signature.png
    So this is weird.

We have a Polycom Soundstation IP 7000.

It's a SIP phone. Since I moved it to the Voice VLAN it hangs up after just under 8 seconds after calling any mobile. It works fine with landlines.

Extra weird is when not on the Voice VLAN it works fine for mobiles. Really odd.

Aside from the "Is this the secret room" quote I also got a lot, the other popular one was "So where is the bar?"...in their defense, my boss and I did often talk about the "wet bar in the server room" :D

If any company was ever stupid enough to hire me as a systems engineer, the first thing I would do is build a bar in the server room. Couple of leather couches, an awesome headphones setup, and bulk top shelf liquor. That room has the best aircon in the building, you're damn straight I'd be spending as much time in there as I could. If only electronics components weren't so sensitive to dust and smoke, there'd be a cigar humidor in there as well...

Oh sweet mother of God. I now have to burn discs for everyone in the building. Not only that I have to put CD labels on them. NOT ONLY THAT the CD Labels are located in a person's (locked) office who doesn't show up until about 11:30 - 12:30 daily.

What. Why.

What. Why.

Yeah, why do you have to do that? It's not like getting a burner on a computer is so expensive.

New "Security" policies that are in effect. My COO was worried that people were burning discs of company property.

Also one of the guys here that acts smart (but really isn't) responded to the security policy by saying this:
    For plugging in cell phones to charge them, I would recommend adding the restriction that no cell phone should be plugged into the same circuit as a computer. While there is no way data could be transferred between the cell phone and the computer in this situation, I have found that it can cause weird voltage anomalies in the electrical input to the computer.

Also one of the guys here that acts smart (but really isn't) responded to the security policy by saying this:
    For plugging in cell phones to charge them, I would recommend adding the restriction that no cell phone should be plugged into the same circuit as a computer. While there is no way data could be transferred between the cell phone and the computer in this situation, I have found that it can cause weird voltage anomalies in the electrical input to the computer.

Wat. No. That's not how electricity works.
    New "Security" policies that are in effect. My COO was worried that people were burning discs of company property.

Congratulations, you're now taking personal responsibility if someone ends up getting company property off premises. Doesn't even matter when it happened, if it was before you started doing this as a policy. They'll come after you.

Good luck. Your company just reached mega-nuclear-toxic from just regular nuclear-toxic.

Pretty much. Oh and every time a customer brings in a thumb drive or CD I have to scan it for viruses. Every. Time. I didn't vote for this stuff.

I thought you were a programmer? I hope you're getting double your wage and they don't argue it down like "oh you're only doing one half of that job at a time so it's not biggy if you do system admin stuff for 4 hours and 4 hours of programming."

No fuck you, I have twice as many responsibilities, so, I get twice the wage. If I already make an obscene wage, I'll be willing to go 3/4 or 2/3 on the extra responsibilities part.

This discussion has been closed.