As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    BAHHAHAHAHAHA *wipes tear from his eye* double my wage?? No I'm expected to be able to system admin 50+ people as well as finish my projects with deadlines that are near impossible to make BECAUSE of the interruptions.

Every time I put on my headphones to program I get an IM to do an IT task.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Your job is the worst. Fuck your job.

Look for a new one. Seriously. Don't have babies. This job will kill you.

No but really, you need to put your foot down. Take your manager/boss aside and say this kind of workload is unacceptable and outside the responsibilities you were hired for, and you feel like they're taking advantage of your knowledge.

You don't need to mention you're vastly underpaid (you are). For instance, a system admin guy to do what you're doing would cost about $45,000-$60,000 depending on the type of systems. 50+ people? That's almost enough for two.

They've already got a guy doing the phone thing with the power, why isn't he handling the IT work?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    That median is roughly double what I make... which is exactly why they don't want to hire a system admin.

And that guy with the phone has no clue what he's doing.

That's not your problem though. Don't make it your problem. It may suck at first but then you're like "wow this is amazing that someone else can deal with that nightmare of a shitcock and if they screw up, lol, should've paid someone who knew what they were doing."

Friendly advice from a guy that's being doing this for a decade.

It's amazing because I go home, eat dinner, play video games, go to bed and give 0 fucks.

Seriously you don't even have to be mean about it. Just confront the manager and explain it.

Say you think the company needs a full time systems admin, and it's not nearly your place of expertise, and you're getting burnt out for doing it, and are starting to drag on your actual work (because of deadlines).

No reasonable company will be upset about it. If they are, and fire you, congrats you get unemployment and time to go look for a reasonable company.

It's not even just that. I'm pretty sure they have called people in to interview for the system admin position... The problem is that they aren't willing to pay for a competent one.

I'd personally force their hand.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Djeet wrote: »
    Soliciting feedback on what exactly a 3-tier architecture is. The sticking point is, what is the DB tier?

My perpective is that DB tier is storage, while DB logic (MySQL/MSSQL services) resides in the application/business logic tier. So if I have a combo webserver/MySQL server running on a single physical server, while the datastore resides on a separate SAN, well that's 2 tiers. What say you guys?

Well, it's pretty abstract - the three tier architecture of presentation/business logic/database can be all on the same server. It's a logical separation above anything else.

It really depends on the kind of analysis you're doing.

I think I'm dealing with a bullet point on a specification where the guy who put the bullet point there has no fucking clue what he's talking about.

Djeet on
    honkey, basically what it boils down to is they don't see the need because you're already doing it for free.

So they either need less than free, or pretty close to free. Which is never going to happen.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    That median is roughly double what I make... which is exactly why they don't want to hire a system admin.

And that guy with the phone has no clue what he's doing.
    I make very nearly as much you living in one of the lowest cost of living states working on a helpdesk, for a company that is forgoing raises for all employees because of budget issues.

You need to get out of there or force them to start paying you for the crap they make you do.

Cause Bowen's right. You just got handed a pile of liability.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2012
    What's good is you don't even really need to be mean or snarky about it, but level with them that it's just making you not want to work there.

This has the potential of being bad news bear and them firing you but really low if you just say "I'm all for being a team player but I'm finding it hard with all this additional responsibility, outside of my job description, required of me."

Coupled with their OT policies I can see why they have trouble finding people let alone cheap people. There's always someone like Mister don't plug your cell phone into the same circuit as your computer (fun fact, most rooms run on the same circuits), who'd do it for $10/hr.

bowen on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    You gotta ask if you want more scratch.

Better way to think of it is put down on paper (or however best it helps you think it out, I prefer to talk it out to close confidants) how you are valuable to the business. How you've met the obligations of you original job description. And how your role is more than that and is not commensurate with your compensation.

Negotiations don't have to be combative. Make the case for how someone else will pay you more to get your services, but without outright saying it (unless you've an outstanding offer you want matched).

A good exercise would be to update your CV as if you were going to start applying elsewhere before entering negotiations with current employer.

Well they did give me a 20% raise which is 5 times more than what I was told I'd get. But yeah I agree... I'd rather just program and have someone else deal with the system admin stuff.

You should mention it honestly. Just say you don't feel comfortable doing the system admin stuff anymore as it's starting to get way out of your expertise range. Mention that you'll still do as much as you can to help though, if they hire a new guy helping him learn the systems maybe?

That's what I plan on talking to them about.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Djeet wrote: »
    Soliciting feedback on what exactly a 3-tier architecture is. The sticking point is, what is the DB tier?

My perpective is that DB tier is storage, while DB logic (MySQL/MSSQL services) resides in the application/business logic tier. So if I have a combo webserver/MySQL server running on a single physical server, while the datastore resides on a separate SAN, well that's 2 tiers. What say you guys?

No that's 3-tier too. Your web browser is the presentation layer, the web server is the application layer, and the DB is the data layer. Having the DB on a SAN vs local has no relation to these layers. Having them all on the same server makes no difference either (not the best of course). Basic idea is that your client app (web browser) never talks directly to the DB, it first has to go through an intermediate app/server to sanitize the input, do any necessary business logic, and also control/restrict the resulting output to the client.

It gets a bit muddy given the fact that you can put business logic into the database functionality itself (stored procedures, triggers, etc). In my opinion, doing so makes it 2-tier, not 3, if you don't have another intermediary.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

I did that. My responsibility level was raised and raised again with no raise. So eventually I went in there with hard evidence of what I should be making from salary.com and monster.com and it's hard to argue against it.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Your company is so broken urahonky, if they want security/DLPthey have to do it right and that means spending money and implementing sane and effective policies.

At the moment what they're doing is not only draconian but is unlikely to work how they think it will.

lwt1973 wrote: »

I did that. My responsibility level was raised and raised again with no raise. So eventually I went in there with hard evidence of what I should be making from salary.com and monster.com and it's hard to argue against it.

YOU'RE FIRED is also hard to argue against.

It's why most people decide to just deal with it. But it always fucks them.

Honkey is in prime position to eat some liability reaming. If they don't fire him or hold him legally responsible, at the very least they'll use it as fodder for not giving him raises at all.

Most likely the discussion went like this, "Oh you asked for a raise... well, now you're our company bitch because you want a fair working wage."

I love being asked to install something but given no permissions to actually be able to get to the installer or the serial or the actual data that needs to be set up.

Just asked my HR person if they've been looking for a system admin and he told me that he wasn't aware that they needed one.

Awesome. The other "system admin" told them they should be looking for a full-time system admin during his yearly review. Glad to know it fell on deaf ears.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I love being asked to install something but given no permissions to actually be able to get to the installer or the serial or the actual data that needs to be set up.

I deal with this all the time. Usually I just cheerfully respond that I'd be happy to and that I just need X, Y, and Z.

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Can anybody recommend some free software for limiting usage time for a shared computer in the breakroom?

Also, screw all this salary talk. I asked for a raise a few months ago when I cut my staff in half and still haven't gotten it. At this point I'm just waiting until I've been the IT manager for 2 years (this coming May) then I'm going to start looking for another job. Per salary.com and glassdoor.com I am in the bottom 1% of salary range for this position in my area.

What do you want to limit?

Ugh we desperately need Active Directory installed. Sharing folders between only TWO people is very frustrating.

You have 50 employees and don't have some sort of centralized authentication system?

Shit son they had that here when there was only 8.

The problem is that we all KNOW we need it, but none of us want to suggest it because then it's our responsibility to get it switched over.

I was hoping they'd hire a system admin full-time and that'd be their first task.

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Just time. Like a computer in a library that kicks off a user after a certain time limit. OR just has a timer to indicate their time is up.

Just time. Like a computer in a library that kicks off a user after a certain time limit. OR just has a timer to indicate their time is up.

What OS, XP/7?

Still haven't been able to get this software installed. I need access to a folder that I don't have access to in order to have this install.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

You have 50 employees and don't have some sort of centralized authentication system?

Wow...just...wow.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Would this be a bad time to mention my previous employer which had about 300 employees and no AD?

In their defense, they were a lawn equipment manufacturer and not tech company.

steam_sig.png
    Jesus christ how the hell did they share documents? Thumb drive?

• TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    i don't work with IIS a lot and i've never built an asp.net app. i was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom for me on this problem with IIS 7.5. we have a vendor who supplies an asp.net (mvc) application. on IIS 6 is runs pretty smoothly; but, on 7.5 (2008 R2) it's really slow to load initially. i'm talking 30 seconds to a minute. and it's just the first time, unless it sits dormant for about 20 minutes, moving around after the initial load it's just fine. everything i've read points me to the application pool idle timeout. i disabled that (set the length to 0) and i've iisreset/restarted to no improvement.

i've set the application pool idle timeout to 0. i've disabled application pool recycling. i've read i should make sure in web.config that compliation debug is set to false, did that. and i created an exception in the AV software for the asp.net temp directory.

can anyone shed any light on anything else i should check?

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Any wonder cyber crooks are going after small businesses these days?

• TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    i did it through the GUI, to just the specific application pool. the default and classic app pools are stopped, and the only other app pool on this machine (right now) is for a http->https redirect.

Application Pools > $desiredAppPool > Advanced Settings... > Idle Time-out (minutes): 0

i'll totally give that a shot, though, as i really don't care if all the app pools default to 0

This discussion has been closed.