As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Freaking A yes, do that.

SQL Reporting has a similiar deal now that it can run without IIS. The first time you access it after a restart (or a pitiful short length of time by default settings) it would take literally 15 minutes to spin up and actually spit out data.

Bigity on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    Jesus christ how the hell did they share documents? Thumb drive?
    A horrible mishmash of some documents (mostly marketing stuff) being on network toaster and a bunch just being shared folders on people's computers.

I've got stories man. The things I've seen.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Jesus christ how the hell did they share documents? Thumb drive?

I interviewed at a local pilot's school that sounds similar and yes, yes they did.

They had an antiquated flight simulator running on XP on a box that took 'about and hour and a half to boot' and zero network infrastructure across their main office, flight operations room, administration, etc. Their student dorms were all getting internet from about a dozen AT&T wifi hotspots dotted throughout the campus.

It was a fucking nightmare after I toured the place, but thankfully I leveraged it into a raise & a new MacBook Air at my current job.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Heaven forbid I clean up some old email addresses after a year of the people not being there.

"But our customers still use that!"
    "Well, tell them to change it to yours as you have had a year."
    "But it'll be hard for them to do that!"
    *sigh*
    <reconnects the addresses and forwards the email box with the "promise" that they will talk to the customers>

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I just alias them now. No hurting my brain, and no mailboxes to worry about.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    We lost a guy a few months ago. His email is still active because some of the SME's that he talked to still email him... And I'm pretty sure one of the guys here replies using that email acting as the person who left.

Because they don't want to tell this SME that he left the company.

edited November 2012
    Well that's terrible. Hope the dude never finds out, or rather, hope he does. That's always fun for lawsuits.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    We lost a guy a few months ago. His email is still active because some of the SME's that he talked to still email him... And I'm pretty sure one of the guys here replies using that email acting as the person who left.

Because they don't want to tell this SME that he left the company.

What happens when they call in? Do they impersonate his voice or just dump them always to voicemail?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    FYI, using the email is not illegal, impersonating the person is. You should warn them to stop. If this dude ever finds out that's bad news bear for the company.

Oh I know. It's very, very shady. I don't think he's called in or they just say "He's not here right now"

I would casually tip the guy off that they were doing this and let him know he should call the police and get in touch with a lawyer.

But that's me, and I hate dumbass employers.

• AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good DNS records host? Our current registrar is a local company (they used to host our website as well) and their server has shit itself, meaning no one can get to our website and no email is being delivered to us. They're nice enough, but this is the second time this has happened, they just don't have enough redundancy. Our email is through Google Apps and our website is on the server of the marketing company who designed it.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
    You could always host your own?

We could, but it's more than I really want to do. Plus, one of the reasons I moved to Google Apps is so that if our network is down people can still access their email in other ways.

edited November 2012
    Seems like you should be relying on whoever registered your domain for that? Hm. Maybe transfer it to enom.com or something?

bowen on
    Yeah, the problem is that we registered our domain through this local company that is currently experiencing an outage. Right now I'm leaning towards dnsmadeeasy.com. Apparently they haven't had an outage in the last 8 years.

http://www.powerdnn.com/ is what we use. FWIW I called them and they seemed to have really, really good service.

Yeah I'd work on transferring, should be hopefully painless. Small and local business as a reseller for goods is okay, I'd avoid them in the future for things they offer outright.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    I like Hover personally. No frills, just domain names and DNS.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    @urahonky
    I'm a bit late on this, but I know and feel your pain. I am the IT department for where I work and my title is technically a "helpdesk" style technician, yet I'm managing a VMware infrastructure, AD, backups, mobiles, video and audio recording systems, and multiple projects for half of what that salary calculator estimates someone doing this job would make. Oh, and soon an exchange environment as well. In this area though, you can't find a job that would pay more for that type of work, or a job doing the appropriate work for what I'm currently making. I figure at least I'm getting experience running these systems as a result.

I probably could if I felt like increasing my commute an hour to get to some big cities, but with the current job market there are a lot of guys out there with more experience who need the jobs I'd be applying for. I know because I looked for ~4 years now for other jobs and they usually find someone with more experience. At least, that is what I'm told.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Misery loves company @ArcSyn

In other news what do you guys suggest for rack-mounting servers? I know Dell sells them but do you guys have any suggestions of a better place to purchase them?

HP proliant is my go to rackmount server.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    we use supermicro, but I don't have any particular strong feelings about them one way or another

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    We've been using Dell R710/720/810/820s most recently here. Have a few Proliants as well but Dell has been giving us a better price recently.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Hmm the problem is that the HP ones aren't customizable... and it's hard for me to compare processors between two servers.

Intel Xeon E3-1200 and Intel Core i3-2100 Series -- HP Server
    Max Processor speed: 3.5GHz

==

Intel® Xeon® E5-2430 2.20GHz, 15M Cache, 7.2GT/s QPI, Turbo, 6C, 95W, Max Mem 1333MHz -- Dell Server

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Our rack situation is such a Frankenstein that I'm not sure big OEM parts would fit, and I go to a local electronics store it pick parts. Actually, that's probably a good argument to go with a big OEM from the get go.

Note, there are at least 3 thread patterns for rack screws/nuts. If one doesn't screw in properly, do not force it. Make sure your screw has the proper thread type. It is easy to foul a hole by trying to forc the wrong screw in. One rack in our room has 2 different types of threaded holes alternating (whose bright idea was that?). As such I have some ugly gaps staring back at me when I look at it. And I'll never have the time to take everything down so I can re-tap the holes.

Edit: Sorry, are we talking rack-mountable server chassis? Or other rack equipment?

Djeet on
    End wrote: »
    we use supermicro, but I don't have any particular strong feelings about them one way or another

We had a supermicro server... oh god was that the most terrible server I've ever had the mispleasure of dealing with.

LoL i3 on a server.

That's what I thought... i3 wouldn't be able to handle server stuff. But it was the closest to the Dell in price.

Xenon can have 2-4 physical CPUs on a single motherboard. i3 is limited to one physical CPU.

That's the biggest "wat." You are litereally running a desktop on a rackmount case with those. If the xenon is the closest in price to the i3, well, the xenon should outperform it like whoa.

We white box our servers. I like Chenbro enclosures.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    HP proliant is my go to rackmount server.

I don't interact directly with the servers here besides rebooting if necessary or running routine tasks but we have an asston of Proliants here so I guess take that as another endorsement of sorts.

steam_sig.png
    I remember speccing out a hand built server. I could build top of the line for $4k. $4K at dell or hp bought me entry line.

But of course we had to buy brand because heaven forbid I have to troubleshoot it.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I remember speccing out a hand built server. I could build top of the line for $4k. $4K at dell or hp bought me entry line.

But of course we had to buy brand because heaven forbid I have to troubleshoot it.

99.999% of the time I'd agree with this sentiment, but since it's a server... ehhhhh. With a desktop, fuck you Dell, I can build it better and if we lose a workstation while I run to Fry's, OK, no biggie.

If a server goes down? I want someone else I can call and yell "fixitfixitfixit" at. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
    Be aware that some of the lower-end Xeon's only support single CPU operation (like that E3-1200, and I think that E5-2430, but not sure).

For high core density I actually much prefer AMD. Intel charges a pretty hefty premium for their Xeons.

Most of our failures have been hard drives and waiting 3 weeks for a replacement hard drive because of a degraded array is nerve wracking as shit. I'd rather have 4-5 disks on site.

We actually had a raid collapse on a NAS because of that. They used 4 disks from the same manufacturing batch, so one one went, the rest followed within a week. Unrecoverable.

They didn't believe me that the drive had shit out and had me run through all these diagnostics and then it took them 3 weeks to get fucking drive here. I had ordered a replacement drive and replaced it already before it got back but alas, by the time it got in there and started rebuilding the rest of it shit the dick.

Aside from hard disks and bad memory, not much can go wrong with a server these days! Aside from solar flares, but thank goodness I live in a fucking faraday cage.

Of course, you could always straight up replace the single CPU xenon though.

AMD is still doing CPUs? Thought the iX processors put them to shame and they retreated back to video cards.

How easy/difficult is it to setup RAID for... Ubuntu Linux? The only options on this Dell are for Software Raid which, I assume, is not as good as hardware RAID. It also requires Windows Server installed so I'm avoiding that. :P

Depends on if your raid card support linux. They're as easy as pushing a few buttons.

This discussion has been closed.