As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    God damn it Dell. You don't make any fucking sense! Why can I not choose a RAID controller card and select NO Software RAID?

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    AMD has a 16 (physical) core processor out for half the price if Intel's cheapest 8 core (plus 8 HT cores) Xeon. Granted, each Xeon physical core is lifting heavier than each InterLagos core.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    we use supermicro, but I don't have any particular strong feelings about them one way or another

We had a supermicro server... oh god was that the most terrible server I've ever had the mispleasure of dealing with.

We haven't had any serious issues, and they seem just ordinary to me. They've served us better than the dell 1u we have, which I think is possessed or something. I'm not sure it's even the dell itself, but the way the operating system was set up. I think I got every service off of it, so maybe I should reinstall and repurpose it for something.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Then I look at their more expensive server and it doesn't have the PERC H310 Integrated RAID Controller as an option. So, what, I have to buy a RAID controller card myself?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Dell's RAID options has gotten super confusing on their website in the last year. Talk to a sales engineer to confirm.

We resell Dell so I never have to deal with their website but I always recommend talking to someone before buying something as important as a server.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Most of our failures have been hard drives and waiting 3 weeks for a replacement hard drive because of a degraded array is nerve wracking as shit. I'd rather have 4-5 disks on site.

We actually had a raid collapse on a NAS because of that. They used 4 disks from the same manufacturing batch, so one one went, the rest followed within a week. Unrecoverable.

They didn't believe me that the drive had shit out and had me run through all these diagnostics and then it took them 3 weeks to get fucking drive here. I had ordered a replacement drive and replaced it already before it got back but alas, by the time it got in there and started rebuilding the rest of it shit the dick.

Aside from hard disks and bad memory, not much can go wrong with a server these days! Aside from solar flares, but thank goodness I live in a fucking faraday cage.
    I don't know what we pay for HP support, but they call us if they get hardware alerts from our servers and get techs out there the next day, or sooner if need be. The last couple of weeks I saw our HP guy more often than my boss (who in his defense was training users at another site). We're all on a first name basis with him.

steam_sig.png

My issue is that I have no idea how much memory is in there since their website doesn't say. Just tells me the max and how many slots.

8GB, right at the top there.

Keep in mind you'd probably have to buy the hard drives separately, they don't come with servers (rackmounts) in general.

Ahh, I'm slow "HP ProLiant DL160 G6 E5620 1P 8GB-R P410 SAS/SATA 4 LFF 500W PS Server". I would have thought they would have included it in the description.

You can also reconfigure it once it's in your cart, if you want additional things like more memory.

What kind of space do you need? Newegg should be able to give you SAS options for the hard drives. Keep in mind raid mirror will reduce space you think you have.

2x 500GB should suffice I would imagine. One of our servers is just going to handle Database stuff, and the other one is an application server... Not much actual data going to be stored there.

So you're going to mirror then? Raid 5 or Raid 1+0 would be better, but only marginally and if the data/apps isn't super critical you should be okay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148617

I'd probably get two of those.

Obviously you can pay the $300 markup on the HP drives because of "the flooding in taiwan that totally happened, I swear to god it happened."

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    We have 4 hr response on our systems and SAN so I can call them in the morning and have a drive on my desk when I get back from lunch. It is fantastic.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Yeah but you paid like $4000 a year for that don't you? :-P

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah but you paid like $4000 a year for that don't you? :-P

Probably. At the time it was purchased I wasn't in charge of quotes and purchasing so I didn't really see the money side.

Still worth it for your core VMware servers and SAN where you absolutely cannot lose data.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    I was thinking mirror unless you think I should go another route. Super critical data and we want make 99.9% sure that it won't need to be fixed (Data-wise).

My knowledge of RAID is: Stripe = faster, mirror = safer.

Raid 5 with parity or Raid 1+0 (stripe + raid), mirror is the bare minimum, but raid 5 is the recommend if you don't want to go balls to the wall with raid 10. Raid 5 with a hot spare is what people do, 3 disks (mirror + parity) I think is how raid 5 works but I'm going off memory. Hotspare means the disk that's unused in that 3-4 setup gets used if there's a failure, this buys you some time to fix things.

Well I mean if I go the Dell route that means I have to buy an integrated RAID controller for that server right? That seems less than optimal.

But the HP is more expensive AND I have to buy the HDDS...

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    You can't buy Dells with a RAID card any longer? That doesn't sound right...

[ed] Jesus, Dell's site is barely navigable at the moment. WTF are they doing over there? I know the entire Internet isn't trying to buy a fucking Inspiron all at the same time.

iTunesIsEvil on
    Yeah I was having a hell of a time adding a raid card for SATA/SAS and it kept bitching about how I need their raid software to use it. I have no ideas what the fuck about their servers.

Whyyy... I don't want to call....

Build it yourself?

Fine. I'll call. :P
    Really don't want to spend the time... And I'm sure my CEO would prefer one from Dell or HP.

Make sure you call the business line, so you don't get someone in India.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know if it really doesn't come with a RAID controller or not.

Nothing like a go-live for inflating my call volume. 60 calls before 10, 93 at the end not counting direct dials, me calling out or IT backline. (And about 15 of those which ring once and hang up).
    ABout 25 of them were "Kronos is not working" *clicks the activeX prompt to allow. Reload page* "Oh thank you!"

steam_sig.png
    The Dell rep I called said I have to call my dedicated sales rep. I called him and it went straight to voicemail. I then sent him an email. What a mess.

Now we need to purchase Project... I'm sure our CEO isn't going to be happy to spend $430 on some software.

Tell him to suck it up and give you a raise.

Then tell him to give you another raise when he asks you to buid your own version of Project.

steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    A class I'm starting next week will cover TIA Security and CCNA. While we won't be getting CCNA certification, apparently partway through, we will cover Subnetting very very deep, and we have to know how to do subnetting at the drop of a hat (as in hear a question and be able to answer it fast). Upon completion, we will however get CompTIA+ certification. Are there any good books just for subnetting?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Here's the brief rundown of subnetting:
    255.255.255.0 is the most common
    255.255.255.255 = single PC

There you're a certified TIA Security and CCNA certified person... well... rather.. you can work everywhere but fucking telcom companies, even they use subnet calculators though.

http://www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php

Though I guess for CCNA 252 is the lowest you can go. Silly CCNA, look how pointless you are, DSL companies laughing at you all the way to the bank with their 255 host on the last octet.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    A guide to subnetting: the lower your number, the more computers you can have

255.255.0.0 > 255.255.255.0 > 255.255.255.255

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Also, pro-tip: Even if you work for a small company, don't use 255.255.255.0 because you can only have 254 network-enabled devices and if your company grows you're gonna need to-architect your whole network, then. Personally, I would go 255.255.248.0. 2,046 IPs might seem like a lot now, but at least you know you won't have to reengineer your network anytime soon.

And at the point that you do need to increase over 2,046 devices, chances are you'll have a lot more help to do that.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.