As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    VLSM (PDF link).

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    Here's the brief rundown of subnetting:
    255.255.255.0 is the most common
    255.255.255.255 = single PC

There you're a certified TIA Security and CCNA certified person... well... rather.. you can work everywhere but fucking telcom companies, even they use subnet calculators though.

http://www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php

This is for the military. The class wont quite reach complete CCNA certification, but will cover subnetting heavily.

Seriously, all I'm allowed to hear from students already done with the course is "prepare your anus for the subnetting segment!"

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I have to do a class for a couple guys here on how to use SVN. I'm so glad I agreed to be a System Admin.

Anyone here good at Subversion stuff?

We have a linux box that holds all of our SVN repositories. And we have a repository named: Projects, and inside this Projects folder there are folders created for each individual Project we've worked on. I'd like to know how to put access restrictions on a certain folder within that repo. Is that even possible?

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I don't believe you can control permissions at the folder-level of a repository. Permissions are only applicable to the repository itself*.

I would attempt (depending on how far along things are) to separate those out into individual repositories. Besides, then you aren't mixing commit-numbers and commit-messages for multiple projects into one big repo (ewww).

* At least the way we handle it, using dav_svn.

iTunesIsEvil on
    I'm thinking that's the case too.

There is no way they'd let me change the structure of that repo. I may be the system admin, but I'm really just the company bitch.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Nothing like a go-live for inflating my call volume. 60 calls before 10, 93 at the end not counting direct dials, me calling out or IT backline. (And about 15 of those which ring once and hang up).
    ABout 25 of them were "Kronos is not working" *clicks the activeX prompt to allow. Reload page* "Oh thank you!"

You work for Kronos, like the time and attendance company Kronos?

How are they? Thinking of making a move...

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Nothing like a go-live for inflating my call volume. 60 calls before 10, 93 at the end not counting direct dials, me calling out or IT backline. (And about 15 of those which ring once and hang up).
    ABout 25 of them were "Kronos is not working" *clicks the activeX prompt to allow. Reload page* "Oh thank you!"

Yes like the Time and Attendance company, but no I don't work for them, we just use their software. Our time and attendance for the main hospitals had been done in Lotus for years, but I guess a couple years ago we moved to Kronos for most of the back-end stuff, while the users doing PTO and TMRs still went through the Lotus site. Like, it would send the request to Kronos and the managers would sign off there. Some of the remote hospitals, and the clinics we consumed bought used other stuff. The IT department went live with using Kronos for all aspects as a test about a month ago. The clinics went live with it yesterday, replacing their other app which only their HR department had access to. The rest of our employees will transition over in the next few months. Then we can finally shut down this Lotus Domino server and kick it to the curb.

steam_sig.png
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    a

Sounds more like he works somewhere that deployed something kronos related.

3 hours later and he still hasn't committed any the files to SVN. How is this so complicated for people? Copy/paste what you had before then right click -> commit. Done.

Got a quote for two servers + server rack ~$9K. Not bad. Upgraded to two 1TB SAS HDDs. Got the RAID controller with it.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I have a room full of old Dell PE840s, I can sell them to you for way less than that.... ;)

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    Hmm, thanks End. I'll give that a shot!

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Word Perfect Document?

Oh come on...

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Very very deep subnetting just means CIDR.

Which means memorizing the chart here --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classless_Inter-Domain_Routing

Which isn't that tough. Also, manually calulating a subnet from a string of binary octets is pretty fun.

Funny I can remember that entire thing without any issues and talk like a nerd to fellow nerds (*snort* slash 27 is insanely small for your environment what were they thinking *snort*) yet I can't for the life of me remember the 7 layers of the OSI model.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I have to do a class for a couple guys here on how to use SVN. I'm so glad I agreed to be a System Admin.

You and I are definitely not system admins. We're the rare programmers that system admins love to hate, but love a lot more than the programmer who goes "yeah can you get me a bigger hard drive so my computer goes faster?"

We're the one that goes "yeah so can you set me up a Server specifically for me with no permission restrictions, or just give me no permission restrictions, ahahaha I've crashed your system, ahahaha not my problem."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    and you should really bring up that you are uncomfortable being a system admin, even if you lose your job

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    The other system admins and I are going to write up a document. In this document is going to explain how much money goes into each one of us working on system admin stuff and how much they would save if they just got a dedicated guy to do it.

In other news I called HP and bought two more quad core laptops (we're really pleased with the other ones). They said they'd send me a receipt by 10pm EST but they still haven't... How fucking hard is it to send an email saying "thank you for your purchase"??? We once spent DAYS trying to get them to send us a receipt for a past purchase. Gave them everything they needed. They would say "okay it'll be in your inbox by 10pm EST". Seriously why can't the fucking tech on the phone fucking send me the receipt?

/rant

Good. Good.

Set up a meeting with whoever has the power to do so.

I guaruntee they're wasting about 20% more.

Problem is I think they're worried about "needing to hire someone full time and paying their employer half of the taxes, what happens if there's nothing for this person to do?"

The last part is the one they are probably really worried about. But, a company with 50+ people should have someone on site doing that stuff. Even if they sit all day on reddit and pa-forums. Why? They are doing a bang up fucking job if they can do nothing all day and shit runs smoothly.

For instance, before I took over this horrible mishap of items, the company I worked for was here about 3 hours a day. Everything was half-assed, it broke all the time (job security hay!)

So I took the doctor aside and broke it down for him. 3 hours a day, 5 days a week (sometimes weekends!) at $120 an hour, is roughly $100k a year. Just for IT work. You can afford someone onsite to do that for half the price. And have room to give them raises. And if they fix shit so it works flawlessly, that's more money in your pocket because there's no downtime, or less of it. You see more patients, you have to worry less, so on.

So you apply this to your situation, you've got all these people doing IT work and they're taking away from project time. Well, if you can't deliver on time you lose money. You also can't take on as many projects so that hurts you there. You've basically got a programmer doing IT work, they don't know what they're doing, so you're essentially fucking over with band-aids on top of band-aids. You said it yourself you need Active Directory, yet they can't afford to do it because you don't have the time, but you're wasting so much time trying to finagle the process to work. SVN set up? Sure you should be able to do that, but having a system admin guy on there he could manage it better as his job. Oh someone needs a new repo? Done. Oh we need to reorganize that code, let me set up some more repos to segregate it. Done. Oh we need backups? Done.

You're lacking the time. That is costing them a lot of money. If they're not winning bids on projects, well, they may not have enough capital because they keep devoting the wrong people to the wrong tasks. Oh my programmer has no skills in embedded technology? Surely a Java dev can pick up quickly enough, let's not hire a new guy on to take care of it.

What I'm expecting is they are severly underbidding their projects and it's killing their ability to really profit from repeated customers and really saying "hey we've been 90% successful in our projected timelines and project successes" which looks good to someone who's looking at their bidders and sees companies that fail to deliver much, if anything.

/rant

That's basically it. The bill rate for me is roughly $90 an hour. I get paid roughly $20 an hour. So every hour I bill they get $70 an hour. If I spend 20 hours a week (which is low balling it) on system admin instead of billing a project they are basically losing $1400 a week in which I could be bringing back to the company. This is $72,800 a year. Surely they can find someone to work the IT stuff for less than that full time.

And that's JUST ME. They have two other system admin guys who are at a much higher billing rate.

Hah what they have other programmers doing part of the system admin stuff?

Well they trust the other two more than me. So basically they handle the server side stuff. I can't create new accounts on one of our user servers and I can't do anything when any of the servers go down. They don't put in more than a few hours a week I'm sure.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bowen, there's so much truth up in there.

steam_sig.png
    I'm level 1 and there's another guy that's level 2 and there's one OTHER guy that's level 3 support.

Bowen, there's so much truth up in there.

I used to do project management when I worked for a company that did just that. I specced out a project to take 90 hours of time. Adding in a 10% buffer. They took my buffer away and downgraded the quoted time to 40 hours.

The project got done in 80. They lost so much money. They would've had extra. But they wanted to underbid some Pakistani developers.

I will probably never do management stuff like that ever again unless I'm getting oodles of money.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Good. Good.

So I took the doctor aside and broke it down for him. 3 hours a day, 5 days a week (sometimes weekends!) at $120 an hour, is roughly $100k a year. Just for IT work. You can afford someone onsite to do that for half the price. And have room to give them raises. And if they fix shit so it works flawlessly, that's more money in your pocket because there's no downtime, or less of it. You see more patients, you have to worry less, so on.

/rant

I think you lowballed yourself, 50k is an absurdly low amount to be the sole IT resource, even for a small office.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    Of course it would've been 40 if we didn't do any testing!

Good. Good.

/rant

I think you lowballed yourself, 50k is an absurdly low amount to be the sole IT resource, even for a small office.

Not where honky and I are. It's about the median. Hire some guy who's looking for 1-2 years exp to get the bigger monies at the worst.

edited November 2012
    $65k is average for someone with ~5 years of exp here. (and columbus ohio)

bowen on
    Yeah that sounds about right here in Dayton.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Are you guys talking salaries for just Windows domain admin stuff?

Yeah... At least at my company that's all you'd have to worry about.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I see. Because I'm doing that with a managed services company a little ways south of Columbus now

and making comparatively $Dick

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    We hire t1 helpdesk straight out of school for 45k-ish, but you wouldn't want one of them as your sole IT resource. 5 years in you're probably looking at 65-70 same as bowen said *if* you work for a company with a decent sized team, if you're the sole resource you'll generally be making an extra 5-10 on top of that (if you're smart and push for it) for being the sole on call/after hours resource, which is balls and i will never go back to. Right now i'm on call one weekend every two months or so and that's already too much :(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Man, I work for an IT consulting firm in San Francisco, and I make the 5y salary with 2 years experience. Jesus. To be fair, 50k certainly wouldn't get you anything but a high schooler in CA.

At least we have a rotating system for who is on call every month. This 'sole resource' thing has always sounded bullshit to me, and the 'IT despite not being hired as one' is even shittier.

Yeah on call would push my salary requirement from 50 to 65k. Knowing honky's company, and I do this already, OT and going on site from a call would be double time. ((salary / 52 / 40) * 2) Minimum of 1 hour of time.

So if you ask me to work late because you told me at 4:50 on Friday evening that needs to be ready by 8:00 Monday morning, you're fucked.

Why this is ultra funny is because I'm a programmer by degree.

@TL DR yeah $50k is the average starting salary for someone as an NT admin. If you're the sole IT guy, like I said, you definitely need to be compensated royally.

This discussion has been closed.