As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If you can give me some more details on what you need from the system for the report, I can actually ask my mom about it, see if there's a better way to generate the report to get what you need, rather than just printing the whole thing (like, maybe just get each report individually). PM me if you don't want to post it publicly. This is weird to admit, but while she really can't handle a standard PC very well (it took her forever to figure out a mouse), she's a fucking wizard with AS/400 (been using it for over 30 years).

I have a line-item on my resume about working with it, but honestly, if I ended up at a job where I actually needed to wade into it, I'd probably be calling her three or four times a day.
    I'm having to learn a little bit about AS400 now since one of the companies that my company bought a couple years ago uses it and our IT depts got merged and their 3rd shift operations guy is now at our desk since a couple months ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    punk wrote: »
    Quick, convince the upper management at this place to convert their entire network to fibre-optic!

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure how to take this. Is this a dig at my advice? If so, I would be happy to explain the reasons behind my recommendations.

No, not at all.

I think everybody everywhere should be going to fibre-only networks. It's just so much better! It's like upgrading from a horse and cart to a modern car.

The likely-hood of this happening is zero, though.

Wait until Intel finalises the native optical version of Thunderbolt; the current copper solution is only stage one.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Going from copper to fibre would make sense if fibre wasn't 100xs the price of copper.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    Going from copper to fibre would make sense if fibre wasn't 100xs the price of copper.

But how much of that price differential is just because no-one makes nearly as much optical cable as they do copper?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The base materials for fibre are considerably cheaper than for copper, so it ain't that...

• punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Time and precision, likely. You can't just snap together a fiber jumper or splice fiber together willy-nilly, has to be done correctly or its ruined. Copper patch cables are incredibly easy and quick to make, copper is easy to splice/terminate.

Polishing, fusion splicing...ugh.

If you ever want to see something cool, watch someone fusion splice fiber together. Make incredibly precise and smooth cuts on both ends of the fiber. Stick the two ends into a box. Use its microscopic viewfinder to line up the ends. Watch as the box measures and evaluates the fiber as it automatically adjusts it so that it's perfectly-aligned. Giggle as it zaps the ever-loving shit out of the two pieces of fiber, fusing them into one.

punk on
    Quick, convince the upper management at this place to convert their entire network to fibre-optic!

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure how to take this. Is this a dig at my advice? If so, I would be happy to explain the reasons behind my recommendations.

No, not at all.

I think everybody everywhere should be going to fibre-only networks. It's just so much better! It's like upgrading from a horse and cart to a modern car.

The likely-hood of this happening is zero, though.

Ah, OK. No worries.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Okay I've got a question for the IT folks here. If I have a machine that is on my network that I don't have admin access using MY account, but I do know the admin user/password... How do I remotely restart a service? There's a computer in the conference room that needs to have a server restarted but since it's in use right now I can't just remote into the machine and stop/start it.

Blergh...not done this in a while, but I recall you can connect to a remote machine when you start a MMC session; the machine admin login should get you there easy and you can just add the services snap-in from there. Used to do that to each other all the time in the MCP class I was at, but that was XP/2003 era.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Open the services console and choose Connect to another computer from the action menu.

I think it will let you enter different credentials if yours don't work.

edited June 2012
    Open the services console and choose Connect to another computer from the action menu.

I think it will let you enter different credentials if yours don't work.

I tried this and it didn't let me. Just said Access Denied.

I'll try that Mr_Rose.

e: It looks like I have the same problem. I can add the computer but I can't use a different user/pass combo. God I wish we had Active Directory set up.

urahonky on
  • quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Okay I've got a question for the IT folks here. If I have a machine that is on my network that I don't have admin access using MY account, but I do know the admin user/password... How do I remotely restart a service? There's a computer in the conference room that needs to have a server restarted but since it's in use right now I can't just remote into the machine and stop/start it.

Try the PsService SysInternals utility.

Become a Star Citizen
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Or try
    runas /netonly /user:<admin> "mmc.exe %windir%\system32\services.msc /computer=\\<hostname>"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    I'll mark those for later. Turns out it was a glassfish server, and it it's a "service" like they said it was. Bah!

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Anybody know a good way to reclaim physical disk space from a vmware virtual disk with thin provisioning?

I recently created a server and made the mistake of creating temporary partitions on two of the virtual disks for the install. After the install I deleted the partitions, but now the .vmdk files are staying at their same size, and I cannot shrink the disks since they are thin provisioned.

In retrospect I should have created a separate virtual disk for each partition, and just deleted the virtual disks when the install was done, but it's too late now.

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    I ended up running sdelete on two of the drives and doing datastore vmotion on them to datastores with a different block size. This "feature" reduces them to their thinnest size.

This unfortunately didn't work for the database drive as I didn't have a datastore large enough (that also had a different block size) to vmotion it to, so I just created a new drive, detached the database, robocopied the old drive to the new one, and re-attached the database. All appears to be running well, but I am going to wait a bit before I delete the old drive.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    But the wiki already does that, that's reinventing the wheel. I like Wally's solution.

Just a thought, is the wiki plain text or have you got TinyMCE loaded on it?

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    It is both whizzy and wiggy.

TinyMCE is in place.

edited June 2012
    @AtomBomb
    If you haven't already found a solution to your PDF problem, I got bored and made a quick (and very dirty) Python madlib kinda thing that may help. I haven't yet tested it, I will some time today when I get home. And since I haven't seen the files you're generating this from I had to make some assumptions. It's got some places where you can put in values appropriate to your situation. For instance if there is some string that appears on the line identifying what branch a particular page is for, like "BRID:" or somesuch, you can put that there. Or if there isn't any such thing, but it always occurs on a specific line, put it in the indicated spot. If you could get me a version of that report scrubbed of any identifying and otherwise not public data I could probably do better.
    It requires Python 2.7 and the free version of Reportlab. Reportlab has pretty good documentation if you need it.
    It's got only the most rudimentary of error handling, but it may help. God it's been almost a year since I've done any Python, can't believe I forgot so much,
    from reportlab.lib.pagesizes import LETTER, LEGAL
    from reportlab.lib.unites import cm, inch
    from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas
    import os

GREENBAR = (14.875*inch, 11*inch)

#Path to your input file here.
    inpath = "./report.txt"

#Path to your output folder here.  
    outpath = "./output/"

#Whatever the name of the output file here
    docname = "finrep"

#Put whatever unique text shows this line will say which branch the page is for
    idtoken = ""

#Or if there is no such thing and the branch ID is always on the same line
    #put a non-zero non-negative number here and it will check on that line
    idline = -1

#The text it will look for to identify which branch each page is for
    branchtokens = ["branch 100","branch 200","branch 300"]

intext = file(inpath,r)
    docs = {}
    for bt in branchtokens:
        docs[bt] = []

page = []

line = intext.readline()
    linecounter = 1
    while line != "":
        if idline == -1:        
            if line.find(idtoken) != -1:
                for bt in branchtokens:
                    if line.find(bt) != -1:
                        thisbranch = bt
        elif linecounter == idline:
            for bt in branchtokens:
                if line.find(bt) != -1:
                    thisbranch = bt
        page.append(line)
        linecounter += 1
        if line.find('\x0c') != -1:
            try:
                docs[thisbranch].append(page)
            except NameError:
                print "End of page found before branch token"
            del thisbranch
            linecounter = 1
    try:
        os.chdir(outpath)
    except WindowsError:
        print "Output folder does not exist"

#Replace GREENBAR with other page sizes as necessary
    for doc in docs:
        outfname = '-'.join([docname,doc])
        pdfcanvas = Canvas(outfname, GREENBAR)
        width, height = GREENBAR
        #Adjust font to match desired output
        textobject = pdfcanvas.beginText()
        textobject.setFont("Courier",12)
        for page in docs[doc]:
            #Adjust starting coordinates to match desired output
            textobject.setTextOrigin(inch,2*inch)
            textobject.textLines(page)
            pdfcanvas.showPage()
        pdfcanvas.save()

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Oh god, one of those users

Took every bit of 20 minutes to get her to be able to enter a website address correctly so I could even get a remote session started

TL DR wrote: »

Took every bit of 20 minutes to get her to be able to enter a website address correctly so I could even get a remote session started

You're bringing back bad memories, man.

Though for me, if they couldn't get it after three tries I'd usually just email a link to them. Though lord knows they'd find ways to screw even that up.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Aioua wrote: »

Though for me, if they couldn't get it after three tries I'd usually just email a link to them. Though lord knows they'd find ways to screw even that up.
    "I'm having trouble connecting to the VPN."
    "Are you using the client or the web VPN?"
    *a minute or so of trying to explain the difference*
    "OK, open up Internet Explorer, and in the address bar type in V-P-N-1 *pause* .our-company.org"
    "Whoah whoah whoah slow down."
    *internal monologue "You obviously know the word VPN because that's what you're complaining about, and you should definitely know the name of our company, WTF was too fast about that?" *
    That was followed by several minutes of
    "Okay everything checks out on our end, I'm pretty sure the issue is your internet connection"
    "No it's not! That's what you always say but it never is!"
    *Look at ticket history. In the last 2 years she's called in with VPN issues once (over a year ago), and powercycling the modem fixed it*
    "Try resetting your modem."
    "I don't have a modem."
    "Whatever you use to get internet, turn it off and back on."

Anyway, that didn't work, so I made a ticket to appease her, and sent it to the tech for offsite people, and 10 minutes later she called back, saying it was working after checking all her connections.

steam_sig.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Ahahahaha

ha

That was tried. We eventually got her to the form to log into her webmail account.

She didn't know her password.

• AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    @AtomBomb
    If you haven't already found a solution to your PDF problem, I got bored and made a quick (and very dirty) Python madlib kinda thing that may help. I haven't yet tested it, I will some time today when I get home. And since I haven't seen the files you're generating this from I had to make some assumptions. It's got some places where you can put in values appropriate to your situation. For instance if there is some string that appears on the line identifying what branch a particular page is for, like "BRID:" or somesuch, you can put that there. Or if there isn't any such thing, but it always occurs on a specific line, put it in the indicated spot. If you could get me a version of that report scrubbed of any identifying and otherwise not public data I could probably do better.
    It requires Python 2.7 and the free version of Reportlab. Reportlab has pretty good documentation if you need it.
    It's got only the most rudimentary of error handling, but it may help. God it's been almost a year since I've done any Python, can't believe I forgot so much,
    from reportlab.lib.pagesizes import LETTER, LEGAL
    from reportlab.lib.unites import cm, inch
    from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas
    import os

GREENBAR = (14.875*inch, 11*inch)

#Path to your input file here.
    inpath = "./report.txt"

#Path to your output folder here.  
    outpath = "./output/"

#Whatever the name of the output file here
    docname = "finrep"

#Put whatever unique text shows this line will say which branch the page is for
    idtoken = ""

#Or if there is no such thing and the branch ID is always on the same line
    #put a non-zero non-negative number here and it will check on that line
    idline = -1

#The text it will look for to identify which branch each page is for
    branchtokens = ["branch 100","branch 200","branch 300"]

intext = file(inpath,r)
    docs = {}
    for bt in branchtokens:
        docs[bt] = []

page = []

line = intext.readline()
    linecounter = 1
    while line != "":
        if idline == -1:        
            if line.find(idtoken) != -1:
                for bt in branchtokens:
                    if line.find(bt) != -1:
                        thisbranch = bt
        elif linecounter == idline:
            for bt in branchtokens:
                if line.find(bt) != -1:
                    thisbranch = bt
        page.append(line)
        linecounter += 1
        if line.find('\x0c') != -1:
            try:
                docs[thisbranch].append(page)
            except NameError:
                print "End of page found before branch token"
            del thisbranch
            linecounter = 1
    try:
        os.chdir(outpath)
    except WindowsError:
        print "Output folder does not exist"

#Replace GREENBAR with other page sizes as necessary
    for doc in docs:
        outfname = '-'.join([docname,doc])
        pdfcanvas = Canvas(outfname, GREENBAR)
        width, height = GREENBAR
        #Adjust font to match desired output
        textobject = pdfcanvas.beginText()
        textobject.setFont("Courier",12)
        for page in docs[doc]:
            #Adjust starting coordinates to match desired output
            textobject.setTextOrigin(inch,2*inch)
            textobject.textLines(page)
            pdfcanvas.showPage()
        pdfcanvas.save()

Wow, thanks for putting that together. I'll play around with it when I get some time. I did find something called A-PDF Content Splitter that works for all but 2 of the reports I run. I haven't paid for it yet, so if I can get yours working I may just use that. I don't want to make you put any more effort into this, so I'll muddle through on my own. If you really enjoy scripting the splitting of financial reports I can scrub a few files for you and send them, along with some recommendations for a good psychiatrist :p

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
    edited June 2012
    Well that was maybe 60-90 minutes while I was doing other things, and 75% of the work I was doing was trying to remember how to Python and the names of the Reportlab functions. If this had come up in January of 2011 it would have been maybe 15 minutes.

And yeah, I actually kind of like processing text. It's so mostly straightforward.

Also, I tried to make that thing pretty generic, so if anyone else finds it useful go ahead steal it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    Oh, yeah? How about this.

Me: "OK, open up a command prompt. Start...Run..."
    User: "...hold on, slow down. Start. OK. Run? OK. Now what?"
    Me: "Type 'c-m-d' and hit Enter."
    User: "OK, now there's a black window."
    Me: "Type 'i-p-c-o-n-f-i-g /-a-l-l' and tell me what it says."
    User: "OK...i <tak> p <tak> c <tak> o <tak> n <tak> f <tak> i <tak> g <tak> s <tak> p <tak> a <tak>..." <-- one-finger typewriter death-punch
    Me: "No...you don't spell space. Space bar. A space."
    User: "Oh!"

Anyway, that went on for a while.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Hi guys,

I am currently wrestling with a RAID controller on a new IBM x series server.

I'm beating my head against the following issue:

During boot I see the following:

1 JBOD(s) handled by controller
    1 JBOD(s) handled by BIOS

So, if I open up the firmware/series x management interface thing, it can only see one disk.
    If I hit Ctrl-H and open up the web bios for the controller it can see both but considered the drive that the firmware can see to be non-responsive and in an unsupported configuration.

Obviously with both options only seeing one drive properly I cannot RAID. Does anyone know how to get both seen by one of the raid management options? Also, time is critical... Which is a story for another day

Edit: according to IMM the drive has a fault and has been disabled. Strong contender for being the issue.

Apothe0sis on
    Well that was maybe 60-90 minutes while I was doing other things, and 75% of the work I was doing was trying to remember how to Python and the names of the Reportlab functions. If this had come up in January of 2011 it would have been maybe 15 minutes.

And yeah, I actually kind of like processing text. It's so mostly straightforward.

Also, I tried to make that thing pretty generic, so if anyone else finds it useful go ahead steal it.

I guess to put it another way, in a way that might make me sound like less of a crazy person, what I really like is processing text that normally ends up as lots of paper requiring tons of time-consuming but very simple work by a human, and instead making it become handy electronic things in a few seconds automatically.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2012
    Alright, better/different question.

Anyone know how to install Windows Server 2008 R2 without an optical drive onto an IBM x series server?

Edit: Solved.

Solution: Make USB drive bootable
    Xcopy everything from DVD to USB drive
    Copy x:\efi\microsoft\boot x:\efi
    Mount the install.wim image with imagex from WAIK
    Copy the file C:\mount\windows\boot\efi\bootmgfw.efi to x:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi

Success!

Apothe0sis on
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    Anyone have any idea how to create and remove a network bridge between two network adapters via the command line? I use my laptop to provide network access to a little VM server setup in the back room of my house by bridging my wireless and wired connections and plugging into a switch in that room. Going to work I need the LAN working normally again. It's getting tedious and I'd rather just script the thing.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot

Anyone know how to install Windows Server 2008 R2 without an optical drive onto an IBM x series server?

Success!

Cool! I'm going to try that.

You can try YUMI (http://www.pendrivelinux.com) as well. I've had it boot ISOs not in their list before and seen reports of success with some Windows ISOs as well.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot

User: "OK...i <tak> p <tak> c <tak> o <tak> n <tak> f <tak> i <tak> g <tak> s <tak> p <tak> a <tak>..." <-- one-finger typewriter death-punch

We're moving more into remote management, meaning I'm in the office a bit more, and this happens so often its not funny. Literally has lost all humour.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    uean wrote: »

We're moving more into remote management, meaning I'm in the office a bit more, and this happens so often its not funny. Literally has lost all humour.

If you don't specify forward-slash(and tell them which one it is on the keyboard), they will type backslash every time. If you do specify, they will still type a backslash ~%50 of the time.

Anyone have any idea how to create and remove a network bridge between two network adapters via the command line? I use my laptop to provide network access to a little VM server setup in the back room of my house by bridging my wireless and wired connections and plugging into a switch in that room. Going to work I need the LAN working normally again. It's getting tedious and I'd rather just script the thing.

I think you can do it with netsh, but I can't play around with bridges on my work computer, so I don't know for sure.

Are most of you guys serving a single organization, or are you like myself, managing lots of clients?

Success!

Cool! I'm going to try that.

You can try YUMI (http://www.pendrivelinux.com) as well. I've had it boot ISOs not in their list before and seen reports of success with some Windows ISOs as well.

The difficulty is the EFI environment. If I were trying to install on non-EFI or non-Server hardware the xcopy bit would have likely been sufficient.

This worked fine on the x3650, but the x3250 is hanging on copying files 0%...

So... The fun continues.

Are most of you guys serving a single organization, or are you like myself, managing lots of clients?

Both!

Well, sort of.

I work for a hospital system which owns 3 hospitals, and a bunch of clinics an nursing homes. But they also own a couple small hospitals in other towns which to a certain extant have their own IT department. They're still under us, and we handle all the helpdesk calls. We also just a couple weeks ago started providing some IT on a contract basis for another small hospital. We currently just host and maintain their meditech system, but I think we're supposed to be picking up a couple other things later in the year. And I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years we bought them.

steam_sig.png
    For crap's sake!

Having waited the 5 hours for bomc to create a serverguide disk, it failed to boot correctly.

Now the IBM site is downloading at fewer than 50KBs after being unavailable for an hour.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    So after a month or so of not being able to access the encrypted file and having Microsoft try and fail, the corrupted encrypted key must've been uncorrupted as my user was able to get into the encrypted file yesterday.

Odd.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
This discussion has been closed.