As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone read "Dawn" by Octavia Butler?

CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm presenting the book in a class next week and just finished reading it. I was curious to hear what other people thought of the book, the themes, the characters, the ideas, etc. If anyone has read it (apparently feminist science fiction isn't that popular of a genre) I had a few questions too.

Personally, I thought it was readable but nothing to write home about. Perhaps it's just a personal bias, but I primarily look to science-fiction to explore interesting deep questions. A good plot is important, but... somewhat secondary for me. I felt this book created a relatively interesting plot but only lightly touched on interesting ideas/questions and didn't really leave me thinking deeply once I finished it (unlike say Permutation City which left me pondering what it means to be human for days afterward).

I've read a couple reviews that inadvertently acknowledge this (by praising the characters/plot instead of talking about interesting ideas), but even those reviews ring a bit false to me. Interesting characters? Perhaps Lilith is, but beyond that it's a walk down Stereotype Lane. Men are brutish, sex-crazed and don't think things through. Women are subservient and, regardless of how they present themselves, tied to their man.

I dunno; what did you guys think of it?

Cognisseur on

• Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I read it in a science fiction lit class in college, but I have very little recollection of it. I recall not enjoying it though. Let me look up a synopsis, and see if it sparks my memory.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to move this over to D&D.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This probably isn't helpful, but I read a number of her books back in my early teens (I think) and about all I remember of them is that they were very strange.

Have you read the rest of the trilogy? Perhaps the entire story is more thought-provoking?

mrflippy on