As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

laptop with best screen?

wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I am looking for a new laptop. I currently have a macbook pro but it is having some terrible overheating issues. I have tried cleaning it, getting a cooling pad and even ramping up the fanspeeds and it still overheats.

What I need is a screen that has the same quality of a macbook, that isn't a macbook pro. I just do not have $1800 for a new computer.

I have tried dells and their screens were shit. This was about 4 years ago though. It was so bad I returned it immediately.

EDIT: I am an illustrator, so color reproduction is better than anything. Also, I am extremely picky. Like, extremely picky in the sense audio people are. Only the best.

wakkawa on

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Very few cheap laptops have good screens. I believe you're going to have to shell out around $1500 regardless of the computer.

I think some of the Sony Vaios have good screens.

Serpent on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah I'm looking at like ~1200 max. The vaio is in that range.

the Vaio I was considering right now is ~1000, so yeah. almost Half the price of the macbook.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also getting the actual tech spechs from the various companies on their laptop screens is painful.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You're going to have a very tough time finding a good screen on a laptop. My first recommendation would be a ThinkPad W701 but it's freaking gigantic and also really really expensive (the Lenovo website has the price starting at over $2k). Usually Lenovo screens are kind of shit but this one was meant for good color reproduction in mind. It has a built-in color calibrator. It also has a small Wacom digitizer built into the palm rest though I don't know the specs on it.

It is among the best but you're going to have to pay for it.

I'd recommend looking at multimedia laptops. I've been reading some that the Dell XPS 16 also has a pretty good screen and it starts at $1000.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2746

Edit: Anandtech usually publishes very detailed information in their reviews, so if they have a review of a laptop you're interested in they're definitely a good place to go.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If I have to pay extra for a screen I know is going to be awesome I am alright with that. I just don't want to pay 1800 for something that ends up being a little off.

I also need a macbook because I am going to be moving around a lot in the next few years. A desktop is too cumbersome.

Also thank you! I'll check anandtech.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Could you look at selling your current model for a newer one? I hear that macs have quite good resell value.

This is assuming it's an older model.... I have a 1st gen MBP and it's a real crotch-cooker.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I... I never thought about selling it.

this Macbook pro is 4 years old now with upgraded ram and harddrive. It can do most tasks fairly well, but if I try to play a game or after awhile of photoshop I start to get artifacts. Mostly in games though.

It gets really really fucking hot.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's an Apple Mac-related event coming next week, so if you decide to get a new one it's worth it to see what they announce.

edit: Have you tried cleaning/replacing the fans themselves? It's not as difficult as it seems, check www.ifixit.com for a picture guide to see if you're willing to try it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have tried cleaning them, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Is there something I am missing on cleaning it though?

This is what it does for games
    yeah.jpg
    after like 20 mins.

And for photoshop, I get green pixels everywhere.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, I recently upgraded, and rather than getting a MBP, I got a refurb 27" iMac and an iPad.

I went online on a whim to see if anyone was bothering to sell old 2ghz dual core MBP's with 2 gigs of RAM. I was quite surprised at what people were getting for them.

Might be a minimal cost to upgrade?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    dell business line laptops like the latitude or mobile workstation lines are great
    they're also the only company that offers 1080p screens at 15"

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you absolutely need accurate colour reproduction, you can't use a laptop screen. Between the screens themselves being mediocre at best and the hugely variable viewing angle, every time you sit down at it you will experience slight colour shifts.

Suggestion: Buy an external IPS LCD and some sort of colour calibration system (I'm very fond of the huey PRO). It's the only way to get truly accurate colours.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have never tried them but HP makes a laptop that is basically a copy of a macbook that runs windows and is cheaper. They are their ENVY series. Like i said though, i have never even seen one so I don't know anything about their quality.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I have tried cleaning them, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Is there something I am missing on cleaning it though?

This is what it does for games
    yeah.jpg
    after like 20 mins.

And for photoshop, I get green pixels everywhere.

That looks like a GPU issue, not a screen issue. Personally I'd rip the thing apart, dust it, replace the fans, and reapply thermal compound between GPU and the GPU heatsink.

The HP 8540w is supposed to be available with a 10 bit IPS screen (badged "dreamcolor 2," or somesuch), but it costs $texas (like nearly $3K min with the nice screen).

A much more economical solution would be to buy a high spec PC laptop and a nice external display.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I mean I would love to get an external screen, but I can't. I need to be portable and light so I can relocate easily.

And I know its a gpu issue. I'm asking for a laptop with a good screen because I have had bad experiences in the past with laptop screen quality.

Thanks everyone for the info on the various laptops though!

wakkawa on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do you have one of the MacBook pros with the bad 8600 series graphics chips? I think there was some sort of warranty extension thing related to that.

Either that, or I remember hearing about it because they acknowledged the issue but weren't going to do anything about it. Can't remember offhand.

baudattitude on