As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    battle leves are easy enough, you can usually easily do 2* even at a new camp.

so that's extra gil right there.

you could also just do crafting leves. they still give you all the materials so its easy to just mindlessly grind them when you don't feel like murdering stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    double'd

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I did a few of the main quests, ended up with about 25k and bought some new stuff.

Then I figured out that drybone rewards way more gil/xp for completion of the leves so I'll be sticking around there now.

I was only 8 when I logged in this evening; but got to 13 with little issue; just interspersed with doing those quests which took awhile.

Nice that I can do virtually endless leves though since I hadn't logged in for so long I guess? I'll run out of that anima teleporting back and forth long before I run out of leves. I guess I could always rent a chocobo in that case.

Will the counter in Ul'dah always offer battleleves for different camps? When I started the game it offered me some at black brush and dry bone; but now it still only offers me the two; but I'm sure there are more camps in the region.

it'll offer new tiers five levels ahead of time I think. so at 15 and 25 before you really have to start going far afield.

steam_sig.png
    Cool.

Another question; how big of a deal is the "optimal level" thing?

Like, I'm 14. I can buy an armor that is for 12 for 16k or I can buy one for 20 that is 26k. I can still equip the 20 one, apparently, and money wise it seems to make more sense to just buy the higher level one.

Is there a pretty big hit in stats?

its pretty noticeable, also they damage quicker I believe.

on the other hand you level so fast it isn't a huge concern unless the difference is so big that the malus makes it weaker. which is possible. I think the game actually shows you though.

steam_sig.png
    Square Enix's Naoki Yoshida says that he'd like to put Final Fantasy VII's Golden Saucer in Final Fantasy XIV if possible. (You'll recall that Yoshida previously said that he wants to put lots of little fan service elements in FFXIV.)
    Source

Sounds good to me.

I've been surprised at how charming the story is in XIV for the story missions.

I don't know why; the story missions in FFXI are excellent, why not XIV, despite the other crap they screwed the pooch on.

As I'm leveling I'm seeing all this other stuff, with achievements, grand companies (which I haven't even gotten near, dunno when you even do that stuff), that I'm wondering if its even worth bothering with; when we don't know what is going to stick around in 2.0 and what is just going away forever. Like...even the story; will I ever see the end of it knowing the likelyhood of me hitting 50 on anything prior to 2.0 is almost nil? When do the story missions "end"? Can you go do other nations missions without doing any funky allegiance switching like in XI?

Also I noticed a big red moon/meteor up in the sky; I'm assuming that is related to the "end of the world" or whatever they're gonna do with 2.0? Is there already story threads in the game or are those coming later? I guess they couldn't come later since they said they're shutting the current game down entirely when beta goes live.

Looks like the patch will be going out on the 25th, not the 26th.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=8453385d294b3a7ad82a3af4e176995ef6ffebc0
    At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV to implement patch 1.23. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

* Clients will update automatically upon launch after release of the patch.

* Patch download rates may vary depending on server congestion.

* Comprehensive patch notes will be posted on the FINAL FANTASY XIV Forums the day of the patch's release.

[Date & Time]
    Jul. 25, 2012 from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (PDT)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
    - FINAL FANTASY XIV

:(

About to go over level 17, dont think there's any way I could reasonably get 13 levels before tomorrow at 3pm (my time), and still sleep.

• S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    This seventh umbral era story they're doing now will move on when 2.0 hits. I'm guessing it leads into 2.0 maybe? I haven't paid as much attention as I should. I'm level 37 now and am hoping to get to 50 before then, although I'm still as a Lancer, haven't actually done my Dragoon quest yet =/

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    Looks like the patch will be going out on the 25th, not the 26th

About to go over level 17, dont think there's any way I could reasonably get 13 levels before tomorrow at 3pm (my time), and still sleep.

They specifically said the goobue would disappear in patch 1.23a. The lettered updates typically follow,the main patch by like 2-4weeks so you still have time. I'm betting since this is the end of the world set of patches they may space it out even more to keep content current longer while waiting for transition to 2.0

And dalamud/meteor won't really enter your story till the 40+grand company quests. Gc quests start at 25 or 27 and they have pretty much become the new story quests. The original story quests were part of the "original vision" so they pretty much can all be soloed by any class since that was when they wanted you to be able to play the whole game as a gatherer or crafter. A lot of them require running around but there's no hard battle in any of them

edited July 2012
    Soo...the gobbue should still be there after tomorrows patch then?

EDIT: And where do you guys get your XIV news? I'm fairly good at following XI stuff but I'm browsing the official forums and am not seeing the horn stuff.

EDIT2: Found some people discussing it on the forums, guess i shouldn't stress out so much about getting to 30.

I will say, however, I'm enjoying myself quite a bit with what I've seen. I don't know if it'll hold up or hold my attention, but now that I have a PC that can run the damn game, I love the visuals, the story quests I've done so far have all been quite good (mmo or not), even the little side quests have been pretty decent, if super short and just a simple way of introducing some feature. I like that combat is more fast paced than XI's, but (and this is probably just due to my familiarity with XI) I don't like how obscure everything is...i.e. I see things on the maps that mean nothing to me. I go there and see a bunch of NPC's but they do nothing, and offer nothing. Maybe its for stuff later? I have no idea.

I would like more variety in locales though; but I understand that's a common complaint and something that is being directly addressed with 2.0.

Is there somewhere that will give me a quick rundown on how to manage retainers and bazaars; like finding general prices for goods on the server? FFXIAH makes it super duper easy for XI, but I suspect with the lack of AH there's nothing that useful for XIV?

The Dude With Herpes on

yellowgoblin is the 14 equivalent to ffxiah.

most news comes from the producer letters on the lodestone.

steam_sig.png
    http://ffxiv.yg.com/ ?

Must be down or something. Oh wells.

http://ffxiv.mozk-tabetai.com/

just make everything yourself!

steam_sig.png
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Woo, managed to get my Gobbue mount just in time! His name is Frumpy. I call him Frumps for short.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    Oh man I totally forgot there was inn rooms you could get rested exp in. derp.

steam_sig.png
  • baconchocolatebaconchocolate Registered User regular
    Bah, completely forgot my account info. Anyway, bought the game for 10 dollars, which is the same amount for the subscription. Starting over is probably for the best, I forgot how to play!

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJFQXxGUzqM&feature=player_embedded

2.0 has been renamed Realm Reborn and has a fancy new CG trailer. I want to be looking forward to this, but I wish there was something more concrete to look at. I couldn't bring myself to buy the gametime for legacy status because of that.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    So they merged the servers and stuff right? Does that mean if I activate a character it will give me options to where it goes... and what server is PA folks on?

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I wonder if I should go for the Gobbue. I have not been on in ages.

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    "Final Fantasy 14: A Game Finally Ready For Release" they mean? :)

• SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wonder if I should go for the Gobbue. I have not been on in ages.

The mount? It's no longer available to my knowledge.

Sejarki on
    I haven't looked it up since the patch, but my understanding (from people here and on the official forums) that it wasn't going away till 1.23a. 1.23 is out, but not "a", so it should still be in.

just run over to the hamlet south of blood shore (red hen?) and see if the minstrel is still there. I'll check tomorrow after I get off work.

steam_sig.png
    Ok rested xp is great and all; but couldn't they have made it so xp rewarded from leve completion didn't eat it up?

As it stands if you have rested xp your best bet is to burn through it via just straight grinding. :rotate:

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Does it matter? I assume it is just a % increase to all xp.

Just to get back to this: Yes, the minstrel who gives you the horn is still sitting there, looking absolutely fabulous as usual.

steam_sig.png
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Do they have an updated installer I can just download? I don't want to put in my FFXIV disc and have it install and update...

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Do they have an updated installer I can just download? I don't want to put in my FFXIV disc and have it install and update...

I've never been able to find one. They are pretty stupid about installing it... and it still seems to update slow as shit with a torrent type thing.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • baconchocolatebaconchocolate Registered User regular
    Do we have a linkshell? It's kinda lonely in Gridania!

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    I wish 2.0 played like the trailer...
    Some of my TERA friends and I may come check it out when it relaunches. I'm tempted to re-roll though, With everything capped I'll miss all the new content. On Top of that I never bothered with the job quests. When I started the First one for Monk it wanted me to run somewhere really far away and I said 'meh' and logged out :p

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Does it matter? I assume it is just a % increase to all xp.

It doesn't increase the amount of xp rewarded for completion of a leve but as far as I can tell they still eat away at the total amount.

Which, I did a bunch of quests last night and it appears they don't do the same thing, so I really have no idea what the idea is there.

Do we have a linkshell? It's kinda lonely in Gridania!

There are a few of us on Masamune but I never actually see anyone on when I am on. Perhaps because I'm in GMT though.

PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    I'm on masamune but I just assumed that no one else was actively playing so I didn't bother trying to seek a LS.

Maybe I should though?

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I am now downloading update files and listening to pleasant FF music.

Krathoon on
    I'm on most days. usually just wandering around. Course I do the same in xi. Spend most of my time just looking around.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2012
    I picked up a linkshell in case we wanted to form one on Masamune. But just haven't seen anyone else on yet to do anything with it.
    Mainly doing leves but I also need to run through some group quests. Including my Lancer one. Although, I might be able to solo that one by now.

EDIT: ...Ok, yeah, that didn't work out so well.

S-Starwind on
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ok rested xp is great and all; but couldn't they have made it so xp rewarded from leve completion didn't eat it up?

As it stands if you have rested xp your best bet is to burn through it via just straight grinding. :rotate:

I'm almost positive that's not how it works, rested xp will only affect your xp from killing mobs. Several times ill have half of level of rested xp that will last me a whole level + because the leve bonus xp keeps extending the rested bar. Just pay attnetion to the bar next time you complete a leve and youll see the bar move

Anyways 8.5 hours of attempts later and I'm done with the 1.0 storyline. Final cutscenes are truly epic

Also my ls is really friendly about recruiting new players, Uhana on masamune, feel free to shoot me a tell whenever and I'll put you in touch with an officer.. In game name Selis Semidey

draw4wild on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    For Linkshell Just join Aqua or Gilgamesh. PA Linkshell died about a year ago :x

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    I would normally invite people but I don't currently have that capability.

4efe575fea51ec35.png