As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

1808182838486»

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2012
    Ul Dah looks like it is in one piece.

Uh, @S-Starwind , I am home again now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just get itchy when I think about the wait remaining until the UI lag goes away for me.

• S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    Most notable lag I'm getting these days is the map or Journal not showing up for 20-30 seconds after I press square sometimes.

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    I am in game now if anyone wants to log in and get a fresh link pearl.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Sounds like it's not possibly to qualify for the legacy discount, based on reports that it expired in May.

I'm not too concerned, because I'm about 75% certain it will become the default sub price sooner rather than later. Unless it turns out this game does crazy launch numbers, which...is actually kind of possible, if they continue to advertise this right.

So the final month (November) will be F2P for everyone? I wonder how much you can feasibly get done within that short timeframe? Can you get through the main story in time, or some bosses?

None of it will count though, if they keep the server up past the 14th, was it?
    Final data save on November 1st then nothing else you do from then on will carry over to ARR.

PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    Oh. Well, I'd still be interested in checking out the story (if I can finish it) and maybe get a front row seat for the Meteorfall.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    The chief limitation is really getting groups together for some of the plot missions (mostly for the grand companies; the 'base' plot that starts with your home city is largely solo-able.) Most aren't too bad if you can round up two-three other people to help out, but bigger groups can be a pain to assemble.

Grinding can still be an issue, but they've since taken some of the sting out of it. Company leves, in particular, give healthy chunks of xp in short order. I was reliably getting between 10 and 15k in fifteen-minute missions - before the actual mission bonus, another 3-4000 - so you can go from, say, 30 to the cap at 50 relatively quick.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    edited September 2012
    So I logged in today and my character had a nightmare where she was walking through a field littered with corpses, and then she was stabbed in the back by a guy with a polearm.

At the end she fell out of bed and then left the inn room.

Edit: This, but with my character

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLbG-3G9YX4

Evidently it happens when you spend enough time logged out after using the log out menu via inn room bed.

Further Edit: Never ever have anything to do with Gridania. That is some BULLSHIT up there that you will thank yourself for staying far away from.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Is there a melee DPS class that uses 2-handed swords? I'm interested in maybe signing up when 2.0 goes live, and I really like the non-barbarian, 2-handed weapon look.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Is there any point to buying this now rather than later when the revamp comes around?

Get it for $10 now instead of $30 for the re-packaged version?

So I logged in today and my character had a nightmare where she was walking through a field littered with corpses, and then she was stabbed in the back by a guy with a polearm.

At the end she fell out of bed and then left the inn room.

Edit: This, but with my character

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLbG-3G9YX4

Evidently it happens when you spend enough time logged out after using the log out menu via inn room bed.

Further Edit: Never ever have anything to do with Gridania. That is some BULLSHIT up there that you will thank yourself for staying far away from.

Those dreams start a small series of quests involving the inn keepers in each city.
    Which of the long list of Gridania grievances have annoyed you so?

Steam ID - The Starwind
    edited September 2012
    I got like, 4 quests done last night.

MARATHON YUTUNGA JUNGLE!

I mean, you can't even auto-pilot down the straightaways. They aren't straight enough.

I logged in this evening, and as my character hopped out of the bed it said "You had a vivid dream that you were incubating an enormous egg..."

Further Edit: I was on my way to a quest NPC out in the middle of 'you can't get there from here, no seriously!' nowhere and I made a quick detour since I saw on the minimap I was passing another quest spot.

That quest spot spawned 3 level 28 goblins at once. My character is level 25. I got curb stomped and my home point is in Ul'dah.

I don't think I am going back to Gridania for a while.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    I got like, 4 quests done last night.

MARATHON YUTUNGA JUNGLE!

I mean, you can't even auto-pilot down the straightaways. They aren't straight enough.

I logged in this evening, and as my character hopped out of the bed it said "You had a vivid dream that you were incubating an enormous egg..."

Examine the bed after you get a message like that for a food buff item.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    Found this link on GAF: a page that compiles every single thing Yoshi-P has promised for 2.0. It's a staggeringly large list: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/38201-Coming-in-Version-2.0!

I'm going to see if there's specifically a thread there for requesting features. I want to try and pitch my Opera House idea. I'm also coming up with an FFXIV article I would be very interested to try and pass down to Yoshi, which seems doable as he's been known to interact with folks with great interest.

He's too good for Square. Seriously.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    No he's not; he's exactly what they need, and you of all people should hope that the relaunch is really successful and he gets more clout.

If he can turn a clusterfuck like XIV around (and in all honesty, he already has, 2.0 or no; at least from a gameplay, if not financial, perspective), he's exactly who SE needs to pay more attention to in order to get their other IP's back on track.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I propose a new thread for info on 2.0 leading up into the relaunch. Who would like it?

I could do it but man I'm not that up on the game. If it was XI yeah, I'd be all over that. Someone who is more into XIV and up on news, updates would be better.

No he's not; he's exactly what they need, and you of all people should hope that the relaunch is really successful and he gets more clout.

If he can turn a clusterfuck like XIV around (and in all honesty, he already has, 2.0 or no; at least from a gameplay, if not financial, perspective), he's exactly who SE needs to pay more attention to in order to get their other IP's back on track.

Oh lordy, it was a joke. Take the armor off once in a while and cool down.

Nothing would make me happier than all of the FF teams learning from Yoshi's example. So far his influence hasn't spread beyond FFXIV yet: just compare the latest FFXIV preview with that of the Lightning Returns announcement. There is clearly a difference in priorities when you hear both directors talk.

Granted, there is also a greater priority in convincing people that FFXIV is no longer the rancid piece of shit it used to be. But if he can actually convince jaded fans (myself included) to actually count down the days to 2.0's relaunch (of which I'm also doing; I want that shit today), imagine seeing him in control of a new FF project from the start instead of undoing someone's prior mistake.
    I propose a new thread for info on 2.0 leading up into the relaunch. Who would like it?

I'd love to do this, but it would be a massive undertaking to keep track of all the news. Yoshi's updates are almost daily at this point.

edited September 2012
    You can whittle it down to stuff he says is finished and in. We all know production promises are somewhat... vaporous.

I mean, if you want to give a spot of attention to stuff he says he would like to do sure, but I usually 'whatever' hand wave that stuff away.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2012
    You can whittle it down to stuff he says is finished and in. We all know production promises are somewhat... vaporous.

I mean, if you want to give a spot of attention to stuff he says he would like to do sure, but I usually 'whatever' hand wave that stuff away.

I don't even know what's "in" at this point, besides Limit Breaks, the new UI, jumping, and Chocobo Mounts (at least I hope that's what they are: god help them if there's a limit to calling up your Chocobo).

Maybe that's enough to go on, but I have a feeling the game will just keep expanding in finished content from here on.

Edit: On second thought, this sounds like fun, and I think I can drum up an interesting OP.

Is the idea to keep current vanilla FFXIV and 2.0 talks separate?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    That is what I was thinking. We can put this thread to bed when the servers go down.

Alright, I'll take up the task. Will link to this thread for any latecomers wanting to try vanilla (or to avoid confusion).

Since we are just spit-balling, best check with a mod before you post.

Well shutdown is still more than 2 months off; and we're on 86. it'll be closer then.

edited September 2012
    I got the approval to make the new thread, so I'm working on that as we speak.

Is there anyone here good with Photoshop? If so, would you be so kind as to turn this into a transparent logo that I can use for the thread: http://i.imgur.com/J05kC.jpg

Edit: Thread's up: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/166555/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-and-faith-renewed

Haven't made a PA thread in a long time. I forgot how fun it wa-(passes out)

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I'll have to log in an see if the meteor has moved closer.

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    so i started getting my feet wet again, I have completed most of the job quests up to the 45 ones. Man they get tough all of a sudden! I kinda like the Hybrid classes more though, guess i need to get in some larger parties to really get a feel for their effect. Also i made a lalafell alt to play with some of my friends.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    run to a camp where like 4 of my artifact quests are in TBS and suddenly imperials... FFXIV don't make me hit you...

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/09/final-fantasy-xiv-for-ps3-has-a-xmb-like-menu-and-other-tidbits/

Sounds like the best possible approach they could take with the PS3 version.

My immediate question is whether this XMB-like menu will also be available for the PC version, for those who want to play it with a controller.

Deus Ex: HR would switch UIs instantly between controller and kb/m, so I see no reason for ARR to achieve the same result.

My concern with that options is that many (most?) of the games I have on the PC that support the 360 gamepad, and do what you say; automatically switch the UI to be 'console friendly' disable normal kbam controls. Currently XIV (and XI) allow you to use the gamepad in conjunction with kbam without any switch over required.

And some of said games actually require a restart in order to switch.

I mean, that's not universal by any means and something that should be simple to get around; but I dunno...they'd have to absolutely not be an either/or thing and support both at the same time or the end result would actually be a regression of the current UI.

Just a reminder: October 31 is the "Final Save" maintenance for XIV

The state of your character(s) on that date is the state they'll go into 2.0 in.

The game itself will still be live for another 2 weeks afterward, but none of what you do after that will matter.

• KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    Is this game going to be good™ now? I loved FFXI like...like a person who loves a thing very much. They could've resold me the same game with better graphics and I would've bought it. With that in mind, what am I looking at going into 2.0?

• Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    So how does this work if you bought version 1 way back when? Just got an email from them telling me bout this and such. Where can I go to DL the game? I have stellar internets right now but moving back home for the summer where its really slow download times.

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    So how does this work if you bought version 1 way back when? Just got an email from them telling me bout this and such. Where can I go to DL the game? I have stellar internets right now but moving back home for the summer where its really slow download times.

Holy necro'd threads Batman.

This is the one you want: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/166555/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-beta-phase-2-underway-controller-support-added/p1

No idea why this one was never locked.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    deleted

Krathoon on