As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2010 Midterm Elections, or: Barnum Was Right

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So one of my friends keeps getting her signs stolen.

Anyone have suggestions for something to coat it with, along the lines of super glue or paint, that won't dry quickly?

235437650_TJKJj-L-2.jpg

Kilroy on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Or how about getting one of those paintball grenades and rigging it so it blows when the stake is pulled out of the ground?

Worst thing that happens is you give the clothes of the assailant a fresh coat of glorious paint.

The Keith Mars solution!
    Sorry, I love that show. Especially the first season.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Anyone have suggestions for something to coat it with, along the lines of super glue or paint, that won't dry quickly?

Healthy dose of irritant.

Mace or concentrated cinnamon oil.

You don't really want to invite republicans to sue you. A lot of them, especially crazy preacher types, use it as a revenue stream.

Put a sign next to it that says: "This sign is private property located on private property. Taking it is theft. Said sign is coated in mace. Do not touch eye balls after stealing said sign."

And all your bases are covered.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    She's a nutter, but ultimately a distraction and irrelevant.

I just hope she doesn't turn into another Sarah Palin

She was Sarah Palin before Sarah Palin was Sarah Palin. This woman runs for office for a living. On an alternate universe she has already won the election, then quit to feast on some hearty wingnut welfare.

The only real difference between Christine O'Donnell and Sarah Palin is that Sarah Palin has won an election in her lifetime.

SammyF on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

You don't really want to invite republicans to sue you. A lot of them, especially crazy preacher types, use it as a revenue stream.

Put a sign next to it that says: "This sign is private property located on private property. Taking it is theft. Said sign is coated in mace. Do not touch eye balls after stealing said sign."

Pretty sure that booby trapping is illegal in many/most areas.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    SammyF wrote: »

She was Sarah Palin before Sarah Palin was Sarah Palin. This woman runs for office for a living. On an alternate universe she has already won the election, then quit to feast on some hearty wingnut welfare.

The only real difference between Christine O'Donnell and Sarah Palin is that Sarah Palin has won an election in her lifetime.

Now I have this silly image her extending her life beyond the grave so that she can win an election.

And her slogan? "I'm not a lich, I'm you."

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alternately, construct the sign from heavy and sturdy materials that can't be easily removed.

I still like the electrical idea, but probably with a car battery for the energy source.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Boobytrapping your property against theft is seriously, feloniously illegal. Please don't get yourself in trouble over a stupid sign.

That being said, stealing signs is also real theft. If you can get pictures/video, you can get those (probably) kids in trouble. I recommend a deer cam. It's basically made for that purpose. If you have a friend that hunts, I'm sure he'll let you borrow it for that purpose.

enc0re on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SammyF wrote: »

Now I have this silly image her extending her life beyond the grave so that she can win an election.

And her slogan? "I'm not a lich, I'm you."

"And when I say "you," i'm speaking to the person whose body I possessed in order to give my phylacteried soul physical form and walk amongst the living once again."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Pretty sure that booby trapping is illegal in many/most areas.

Not a booby trap if you tell them straight up that it's coated in mace.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    Are tags on clothing that explode blue dye when tampered with illegal? Cause stores use those all the time.

edit: deer camera is the best option, though. See if you can scrounge one up.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    Boobytrapping your property against theft is seriously, feloniously illegal. Please don't get yourself in trouble over a stupid sign.

That being said, stealing signs is also real theft. If you can get pictures/video, you can get those (probably) kids in trouble. I recommend a deer cam. It's basically made for that purpose. If you have a friend that hunts, I'm sure he'll let you borrow it for that purpose.

Eh, in that case the paint grenade thing probably skirts the line just barely. And yeah, video would probably help.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are tags on clothing that explode blue dye when tampered with illegal? Cause stores use those all the time.

edit: deer camera is the best option, though. See if you can scrounge one up.

They don't explode. It's just a glass cylinder that breaks and leaks on to the item. That doesn't qualify as a boobytrap.

enc0re on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    On one hand, I feel sort of bad how often stupid shit she said 10-20 years ago is coming back to haunt her.

But on the other hand, nobody forced her to go on camera and say stupid shit, past or present. When you actively choose to have and publically express opinions that are fucktarded, my empathy dies a silent, unremarkable death.

So.... masturbation is wrong.

But sleeping with some guy you met once 3 months ago is totally okay.

Edit: oh god, I was only part way through... a "born again virgin"? *facepalm*

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To be fair, he said he never slept with her.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

True or not, this is not the October surprise I was hoping to read about...

wwtMask on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »

I'm not even sure why I wasted my time reading half of that.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

That was a boring story that just makes me think she's human. They didn't even really have a one-night stand.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yeah, worst Penthouse Letter ever. :P

wwtMask on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm surprised she thought of something so clever as dressing up as a "Coke-head".

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    To quote SNL's version of the View:

"So what! Who cares?"

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I don't even care about this at all. Relatively young, single-woman goes out on Halloween and hooks up with a douchebag? I actually think he comes across worse after it all.

Also her pictures are adorable, this better not win her the race or something...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Yeah, I don't even care about this at all. Relatively young, single-woman goes out on Halloween and hooks up with a douchebag? I actually think he comes across worse after it all.

Also her pictures are adorable, this better not win her the race or something...

Honestly, she is fairly attractive. It somewhat balances out the atrocious nature of her politics and world view.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not trusting some random internet dude with a "yeah I totally did that broad. I did her HARD. Story". Hell if one of my friends told me that story and showed me a few lady bug pics taken in what looks like a bar, I'd call bullshit.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good for him, she's a hot slutty ladybug.

geckahn on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's stupid and classless to go after someone like that

especially someone losing by double digits

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's stupid and classless to go after someone like that

especially someone losing by double digits

that too. It's a bit mean when the chance of her winning is 0%

geckahn on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For the TLDR crowd:

SHE DIDN'T SLEEP WITH HIM. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not trusting some random internet dude with a "yeah I totally did that broad. I did her HARD. Story". Hell if one of my friends told me that story and showed me a few lady bug pics taken in what looks like a bar, I'd call bullshit.

I like how one of the comments called him out for running from the vagina of an attractive lady, that he invited into his bed.

Because, I mean, she didn't wax, so of course she's a monstrous troll.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Septus wrote: »

I like how one of the comments called him out for running from the vagina of an attractive lady, that he invited into his bed.

Because, I mean, she didn't wax, so of course she's a monstrous troll.

Yeah that part was just hella bullshit, the whole story is uncredited to this clown and then they throw that in like "Omg she had pubic hair THE SLUTTY WHORE!"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The guy sounds like a douche, and the website should be ashamed of itself for publishing such idiocy. It's a non-story and completely unnecessary in discrediting such an easily discreditable Senate candidate.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    For the TLDR crowd:

SHE DIDN'T SLEEP WITH HIM. :P

This is a good TOTP.

Yeah, that story was pretty boring. Way misleading headline too.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oldmanken wrote: »
    The guy sounds like a douche, and the website should be ashamed of itself for publishing such idiocy. It's a non-story and completely unnecessary in discrediting such an easily discreditable Senate candidate.

Gawker doesn't really have any shame to begin with. It's kind of like TMZ with better writing.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Looks like Joe Miller is going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory:
    A new poll conducted by Hays Research confirms what we already intuitively know. Alaska U.S. Senate candidate Joe Miller's candidacy is in big trouble.

The percentage of Alaskans who feel either "somewhat negative" or "very negative" about Miller has skyrocketed in recent weeks to an astronomical 68 percent. Only 8 percent feel "somewhat negative" and the remainder, a jaw-dropping 60 percent, feel "very negative" about Miller as a candidate.

Hays asked the question (replicating the experience of the voter going in to the booth in which they will not see the name of write-in candidate Lisa Murkowski on the ballot), "If the election for U.S. Senate were held today, and the candidates were Joe Miller, Scott McAdams, Frederick Haase, Tim Carter, Ted Gianoutsos, or another candidate you have to write in, for whom would you vote, or are you undecided?

The result? Scott McAdams surging ahead of Joe Miller with 29 percent, Joe Miller with 23 percent, and the write-in candidate (most of which are presumably Lisa Murkowski) with a small gain bringing her to 34 percent, and undecided voters still at 13 percent. This is the first time that McAdams has polled better than Miller, and he did it by six points, comfortably outside the margin of error of 4.8 percent -- a watershed moment for the McAdams campaign.

More news from that race: the Alaska Supreme Court has ruled that voters can be shown the list of certified write-in candidates (which includes Murkowski) if the voter says they need help and ask to be shown the list.

I question the accuracy of the poll. Though with the supreme court ruling, it'll make Lisa's chance MUCH better. (Basically blocking that was just, IMO, a tactic by Miller and McAdams campaigns to prevent people who already plan on voting for her from gettijng clarification how to spell her name.)

Anywho, I'd have to see more polls on this. I really doubt McAdams has jumped that much. Also, it's important to note that Murkowski having a high "I'll write her in" rate doesn't necassarily directly translate to votes, the person has to rememeber to fill in the oval as well as right in her name, AND spell it correctly. (And put her first name on there to.)

I'm pretty sure this is going to boil down to Murkowski just having too many invalid votes.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's really kind of sad when somebody tells any anecdote about Christine O'Donnell and I feel like O'Donnell is the better person

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I actually just read that article and that was some dumb shit. That guy definitely could have spared the world that story.

geckahn on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was just browsing fivethirtyeight and came across a post explaining just how different the results of the elections can be in regards to small errors in the forcasting/polling numbers.

Here's the link to the post and the juicy bits.
    Our projection says that Republicans are favorites in 231 House races, which would reflect a net gain of 52 seats.

But suppose that our forecast is biased against the Democrats by one point across the country as a whole, perhaps because pollsters are overestimating the enthusiasm gap very slightly. Just one point. Well, there are 6 seats in which we have the Republican candidate projected to win by less than 1 full point (it might be a very long election night, by the way). If Democrats hold those 6 seats, the projected Republican gains would be down to 46.

Now suppose that the forecast understates Democratic support by 2 points. There are 8 seats in which we project the Republican candidate to win by a margin of between 1 and 2 points; now these would also be wiped off the board. Now the Republican gains would be reduced to just 38 seats — and the Democrats would hold the House, 218-217!

Read that again: it means that if our forecasts turn out to be biased against Democrats by just 2 points overall, the party becomes about an even-money bet to hold the House.

Now move in the other direction. Say that we’ve underestimated Republicans’ margin by 1 point across the board. There are 8 seats that we’re currently projecting Democrats to hold by less than 1 point. Give those 8 seats to Republicans, and the gains tally grows to 60.

And if the forecast is biased against Republicans by 2 points? Another 5 seats, bringing their total to 65.

We can extend this analysis as much as we want: if the forecasts lowball Republicans by 5 points overall, for instance, we’d expect them to win about 75 seats; a 5-point bias against Democrats, on the other hand, trims their losses to just 22.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Looks like Joe Miller is going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory:
    A new poll conducted by Hays Research confirms what we already intuitively know. Alaska U.S. Senate candidate Joe Miller's candidacy is in big trouble.

The percentage of Alaskans who feel either "somewhat negative" or "very negative" about Miller has skyrocketed in recent weeks to an astronomical 68 percent. Only 8 percent feel "somewhat negative" and the remainder, a jaw-dropping 60 percent, feel "very negative" about Miller as a candidate.

Hays asked the question (replicating the experience of the voter going in to the booth in which they will not see the name of write-in candidate Lisa Murkowski on the ballot), "If the election for U.S. Senate were held today, and the candidates were Joe Miller, Scott McAdams, Frederick Haase, Tim Carter, Ted Gianoutsos, or another candidate you have to write in, for whom would you vote, or are you undecided?

The result? Scott McAdams surging ahead of Joe Miller with 29 percent, Joe Miller with 23 percent, and the write-in candidate (most of which are presumably Lisa Murkowski) with a small gain bringing her to 34 percent, and undecided voters still at 13 percent. This is the first time that McAdams has polled better than Miller, and he did it by six points, comfortably outside the margin of error of 4.8 percent -- a watershed moment for the McAdams campaign.

More news from that race: the Alaska Supreme Court has ruled that voters can be shown the list of certified write-in candidates (which includes Murkowski) if the voter says they need help and ask to be shown the list.

I question the accuracy of the poll. Though with the supreme court ruling, it'll make Lisa's chance MUCH better. (Basically blocking that was just, IMO, a tactic by Miller and McAdams campaigns to prevent people who already plan on voting for her from gettijng clarification how to spell her name.)

Anywho, I'd have to see more polls on this. I really doubt McAdams has jumped that much. Also, it's important to note that Murkowski having a high "I'll write her in" rate doesn't necassarily directly translate to votes, the person has to rememeber to fill in the oval as well as right in her name, AND spell it correctly. (And put her first name on there to.)

I'm pretty sure this is going to boil down to Murkowski just having too many invalid votes.

The best story I've ever heard about dicking over a credible write-in candidate was back in 2006 in TX-22, Tom DeLay's old district. Because DeLay had already won the Republican primary that year before he resigned from Congress, the Republicans had to run the incumbent (Shelley Sekula-Gibbs, who won the special election to replace DeLay) as a write-in candidate. Rather than going the Miller route of never mentioning the write-in candidate, Democrat Nick Lampson sent out dozens of mail pieces covered front and back with his opponent's name.

And it was misspelled a different way every time.

SammyF on
This discussion has been closed.