As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2010 Midterm Elections, or: Barnum Was Right

• Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Speaker on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I just saw a "I'm Joe Miller and I improved this message." that was just Obama going "Yes we can" interspersed with Lisa Murkowski (Who I will remind people is a republican) going "Yes we can." and then the music get's all dramatic and 'UBER DOOMY.' and the words "WALL. STREET. BAILOUT." appear when Obama says "YES. WE. CAN." finished with "Don't be fooled again".

I would have been pissed at it if I honestly didn't find it so hilariously lame. :D

Does... does nobody remember the fact that Bush spearheaded the efforts to do the Wall Street Bailout?

Does nobody get the fact that these investment banks... if they fail, they take the vast majority of our economy with them?

I mean, what the fucking hell?

I thank republicans for raising the chocolate rations to 20 grams per week.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Damn Modern Man I didn't know you let Esquire do a psychological profile on you.
    Nice article, I guess. It's full of the usual strawmen and ignorance of history (the Republican party was a small party before Reagan came around, really?)

Not really sure what it has to do with the discussion on voter suppression, though.

You realize the Republican party didn't reach 200 Representatives from 1958 to 1994 right? And from 1958 through 1980 they never hit 45 Senators? But they are inaccurate there. It was Goldwater and then Nixon's Southern Strategy of forging the Republican party as the party of racial intolerance for the Southern white man that started the Republicans into a position where they could compete with the legislature. And it was Nixon's flunkies that started bringing in the fundamentalist evangelicals, through their connection to anti-Civil Rights bigotry. And Nixon's flunkies who have tried to drape bigotry in some kind of high minded theories. But Reagan's flunkies and the people who managed to commit treason while Reagan looked helplessly on are the same people so its kind of a moot point. Reagan reaped the benefits even if it started before him

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, no. Kastanj thinks I'm a terrible person. Whatever shall I do? :cry:

I suggest money therapy.
    scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Also, what's with the ad homs at MM? It's nice to have the forum not be all left wing, all the time.

enc0re on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    enc0re wrote: »

I suggest money therapy.
    scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Also, what's with the ad homs at MM? It's nice to have the forum not be all left wing, all the time.
    Meh. Don't worry about me. I'm generally immune to criticism.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I suggest money therapy.
    scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Meh. Don't worry about me. I'm generally immune to criticism.

And ever acknowledging that reality isn't dictated solely by what you personally have experienced.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I suggest money therapy.
    scrooge-mcduck.jpg

We cast aspersions at him because he espouses abominable ideas. Like saying that the purpose of a political party is to be in power, and anything it does to achieve that power is not only acceptable, but good.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, most amazing attack ad yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-TUu9kZlsU

These get more amazing every election year.

Doc on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I'm a middle class white girl, living in the midatlantic/northeast and I get nervous around cops. Well ok, I get nervous now. But last year? Living in Maine as a poor/low class/dear-god-I'm-starving-but-can't-get-food-stamps white girl? I was TERRIFIED of cops. because I didn't have a legal car, or a license because I was using all of my money to keep me and my layabout boyfriend fed and under a roof.

Do you know how scary the 5 minute drive to work was?

Since moved home, since gotten back on my feet, and it's now getting better. But cops still make me nervous. And for a few seconds on primary day, when I went to the elementary school to vote, I saw the cop cars parked down the street and I almost panicked and turned away.

And again, I'm a middle-class white girl, living in the midatlantic. I have no real reason to be afraid of cops.

I can't imagine what it would be like being a minority in the deep deep south.

Also, for a moment of levity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9R9wCXqeKc&feature=player_embedded

because I love you all and i need to share.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    Wow, most amazing attack ad yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-TUu9kZlsU

These get more amazing every election year.

It would be more amazing if it aired a month ago.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Southern Democrats are trending incompetent and stupid, with a few exceptions.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Considering that they often run doomed-from-the-start campaigns thanks to gerrymandering, it's understandable.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Speaker wrote: »

This is pretty entertaining and more or less the reason I gave up the idea of a Political Science degree a while ago.

anable on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We cast aspersions at him because he espouses abominable ideas. Like saying that the purpose of a political party is to be in power, and anything it does to achieve that power is not only acceptable, but good.

Welllllll... the purpose of a party IS to get as many members of said party elected as possible. That is the point of a party. It's just that after the election's over, you're supposed to put the party on the backburner long enough to debate like a civil human being and enact decent policy.

The problem comes when the party becomes not simply a means to an end, but the end itself. Which is where we sit right now. The party has become the end, and that's not cool.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No, the purpose of a party is to get its positions enacted. Electing like-minded people is one of the best ways to do that, but there are certainly other options.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No, the purpose of a party is to get its positions enacted. Electing like-minded people is one of the best ways to do that, but there are certainly other options.

No, that would be a caucus. Subtle difference.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

See: Modern Republicans.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And then I was the voters.

MKR on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Southern Democrats are trending towards extinction, with the exception of black Congressmen in minority-majority districts.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited October 2010
    A party, right now, is like natural numbers-- all the positive integers. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

A caucus is like whole numbers-- the natural numbers plus zero. Subtle difference, but two distinct things. A party's everybody running under a Democratic banner; a caucus is all those people plus Bernie Sanders and Joe Lieberman (I know, I know). The party gets elected, the caucus enacts policy.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Southern Democrats are trending towards extinction, with the exception of black Congressmen in minority-majority districts.

Do remember that Republicans have a fairly slim House majority in the states of the former Confederacy plus MO, KY, TN, WV, and OK: 87 versus 70.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I get nervous when I see a cop anywhere. Only a little, but then I'm white and middle class.

Ditto, mostly. Mcdermott likely gets paid more than I do.

In Seattle, it's actually fairly reasonable to be nervous of the police. They have an extremely bad record of escalating toward violence; punched a girl for jaywalking and shot a man dead for having a whittling knife (he was a whittler). And then you have that guy in Portland who shot a girl point-blank in the leg with a sandbag AFTER she was on the ground. And this is in the liberal North West.

If we're thinking of the same incident, no one was punched for jaywalking. Stupid kids assaulted an officer.

Don't red me until you research.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/421775_officerpunch15.html?source=rss

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And those four children who were doing so well in sports and in school? They were doing well because they worked hard, and they worked hard because their parents reminded them that they had to — "I tell my kids all the time, You're not going to get the breaks some other kids get," my friend's wife said. "They might be able to make mistakes, but you can't, because of who you are."

It is what poor black folk used to tell their children. Now it is what wealthy white folk tell theirs. Because of who you are, you are not getting a fair shake. Because of who you are, you are lacking in opportunity. Because of who you are, they don't like you — and because of who they are, they stand to take all you stand to lose.

WOW.

My father actually did tell me that.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thank santa for liberal parents. I couldn't have lived in a house of assholes.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    And those four children who were doing so well in sports and in school? They were doing well because they worked hard, and they worked hard because their parents reminded them that they had to — "I tell my kids all the time, You're not going to get the breaks some other kids get," my friend's wife said. "They might be able to make mistakes, but you can't, because of who you are."

It is what poor black folk used to tell their children. Now it is what wealthy white folk tell theirs. Because of who you are, you are not getting a fair shake. Because of who you are, you are lacking in opportunity. Because of who you are, they don't like you — and because of who they are, they stand to take all you stand to lose.

WOW.

Aw, that sounds positively awful. I guess those unfortunate rich kids will have to gut it out and sink or swim...to the rope ladder on their parents' yacht. I tell ya what, if being rich is such a burden, you're all welcome to go trade places with the poorer people who are getting "unfair" advantages. Just go give all your money away and be poor, I'm sure it's preferable to being rich since society has it out for rich people.

I need a fucking roll-eyes emoticon so badly right now.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I get nervous when I see a cop anywhere. Only a little, but then I'm white and middle class.

In Seattle, it's actually fairly reasonable to be nervous of the police. They have an extremely bad record of escalating toward violence; punched a girl for jaywalking and shot a man dead for having a whittling knife (he was a whittler). And then you have that guy in Portland who shot a girl point-blank in the leg with a sandbag AFTER she was on the ground. And this is in the liberal North West.

If we're thinking of the same incident, no one was punched for jaywalking. Stupid kids assaulted an officer.

Yeah, that's the incident and "a girl" didn't get "punched for jaywalking". A girl got punched for putting her hands on an officer arresting someone who tried to walk away from a jaywalking citation.

You can argue that the force used was excessive, but framing it the way you did deserves serious red.
    Your facts are wrong.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah, that's the incident and "a girl" didn't get "punched for jaywalking". A girl got punched for putting her hands on an officer arresting someone who tried to walk away from a jaywalking citation.

You can argue that the force used was excessive, but framing it the way you did deserves serious red.
    Your facts are wrong.

Relative to other states or even other major cities in Washington, Seattle has a pretty good police force. Or they've just been laying low since WTO and the Mardi Gras thing.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Your facts are wrong.

Fine, a punch to the nose for being a retard. They have a habit of escalating violence goddamn fast, and it gets people injured and killed. The point is, many cops in many cities are goddamned scary assholes.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's not a Seattle police thing - that's a police thing. It's explicitly for people who have an authority complex. Give them essentially a free pass on any violence they commit and yeah, you'll get dickheads to who resort to unnecessary violence.

For example, this is a 19 year old girl who's trying to walk away not a gang member who's throwing punches. You're telling me the best training the officer has to restrain uncooperative but not necessarily violent misdemeanor offenders is to punch them in the face?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

WOW.

That quote above fills me with unspeakable amounts of rage.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And yeah, that quote makes me want to body-swap that bitch mother into the life of some poor single parent whose kids dare to "take all she stands to lose" instead of placidly accepting their serfdom.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    That's not a Seattle police thing - that's a police thing. It's explicitly for people who have an authority complex. Give them essentially a free pass on any violence they commit and yeah, you'll get dickheads to who resort to unnecessary violence.

For example, this is a 19 year old girl who's trying to walk away not a gang member who's throwing punches. You're telling me the best training the officer has to restrain uncooperative but not necessarily violent misdemeanor offenders is to punch them in the face?

She wasn't walking away. The cop was in the process of arresting the girl in blue (showing tremendous courtesy and restraint for someone resisting arrest), when the girl in pink approached and started pushing him. That's assault on a police officer.

What do you think he should have done? Used harsh language? Pepper spray? Drawn his weapon?
    Or maybe he should have let the first girl go on her merry way, because the law doesn't apply to you if you walk away.

There are numerous instances where cops have acted like total dicks. This wasn't one of them.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyhoo... midterms. Just saw this ad over at Crooksandliars.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/scarce/mommy-didnt-raise-no-dummies

Linda McMahon is such a tool.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is it just me or is the GOP slowly ditching the ol' codebook?

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »

She wasn't walking away. The cop was in the process of arresting the girl in blue (showing tremendous courtesy and restraint for someone resisting arrest), when the girl in pink approached and started pushing him. That's assault on a police officer.

What do you think he should have done? Used harsh language? Pepper spray? Drawn his weapon?
    Yes, clearly a punch in the face is the only reasonable response to being shoved.
    Deebaser wrote:
    There are numerous instances where cops have acted like total dicks. This wasn't one of them.
    It isn't the worst, but it is one of them.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    When you're a police officer in the process of arresting someone who is resisting it is a reasonable response.

You should do a field study. Go get in the face of the next cop you see arresting someone. Lemme know how that works out for you.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is it just me or is the GOP slowly ditching the ol' codebook?

"What we want to do is suppress non-Republican voters. Especially black ones." (In head: "Oh crap. I said that out loud.") "Um by turning them into Republicans! And white. Shit no way out of this one huh? Oh well the media will never call me on it."

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When you're a police officer in the process of arresting someone who is resisting it is a reasonable response.

You should do a field study. Go get in the face of the next cop you see arresting someone. Lemme know how that works out for you.

man this certainly is a mature response

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.