As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoX] Issue 20: Incarnates is live!

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Tenebrous Twang is not a gag character! He is an early hero from the 1930s who called himself the Crimson Twang and patrolled the streets of Kings Row dressed in a red cloak with his bow and arrow. He had an unfortunate run in with the Circle of Thorns. Just before they sealed themselves underground, he made a run to save a few kids they had taken with them. He got the kids out, but got himself wedged in the 'doorway' they had sealed around Oranbega. He was, essentially, stuck between worlds. When the Rikti broke though into Oranbega, they dislodged him, but all his time spent astrally dislocated had an effect. He could tap into the netherworld and used this power to bolster his considerable archery skills. Which is good, since a lot has changed since he's been gone, and he's going to need the extra fire power.

Narbus on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well.... You could make it that he was the guy that killed Achilles. He was so awesome for doing so, he was approached by some powers to give him some extra abilities. And then turned demon or something.

Christ Pony, you're the story guy and you're having trouble coming up with a name/background?

Also, I'm thinking about coming back if I can find my freakin time card somewhere.....
    Maybe by the time it's updated I'll have found it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My characters always seem to have comical backgrounds. Russian whore, girl who stuck a fork in a toaster, etc.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited November 2010
    Dont think I have any character with a comical background. At least one that lasted past level 15 anyway.

I remember making a BS/Inv Angel, a BS/Shield old school knight, a zombie/dark incarnation of death (Mr. Gedhe).

Wait, I take it back. I made Dr. Brute. Physicist and bully. Recently upgraded to Dr. Spider and got his MD license to go along with his PHD.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I never come up with actual backgrounds until I've been playing the character for a while anyway. I just try to come up with a name I like, and if I stick with the character long enough, a concept usually comes to me.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited November 2010
    That's kinda what happened with Pyroactive, my rad/flame corr.
    Then it was, "hey how about we have a hero that pushed herself too hard during a respec and the radiation affected her mind as well as drastically altering her powers, giving her flame radiation."

Then the story continued that she got better over time (thanks to Ghost Widow being her patron) and she decides to stay villain since it's much more fun.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Same here. I made a zombie Jesus and I only got him to 20 before I got sick of the concept. Also, the constant tells from religious fanatics telling me I was offending them was getting old.

That would have been half my reason to continue, personally.

I mean what, the varying dimensions and significance of Pagan Gods over Abrahamic God (Well of the Furies!) didn't offend them first?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I suspect that people who get upset over such things in an MMO aren't the type that actually have in-depth knowledge about the matter.

Glal on
    edited November 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    I suspect that people who get upset over such things in an MMO aren't the type that actually have in-depth knowledge about the matter.

There's an even simpler answer than that.

Cognitive Dissonance. But it's still fun to poke fun.

Fiaryn on
  • buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A lot of my magical characters are ex-Midnight Squad members.

You could have an ex-Midnighter (they are a fantastic lore group), who took a magical bow with him on the way out, plus has some dark powers they picked up while pouring through the old tomes. Just a thought. I like to work a lot within the lore provided by the CoH team.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
    edited November 2010
    Man, now I want to make an archery/dm so I can use that Teneborus Twang idea. He originally wore crimson because he wanted criminals to KNOW there was someone in Kings Row to fight them; no “urban legends” to brush off, but now he strikes from the shadows and that’s weird for him. Prohibition was running from 1920-1933, the CoT disappeared in ’33…so yeah he was a prohibitionist, fought against a smalltime gang of rumrunners, and one of their grandsons is back in the modern day, trying to make a name for himself in Kings Row so now he has to deal with that. He calls people dames and such; could have a weird Shining Knight thing where social norms are obviously changed over the past 80 years, but his norms aren’t oh god I’m writing fanfic again oh god oh god oh god pony what did you do to me oh god.

Narbus on
    edited November 2010
    What's all this about Rikti Invasions now?

Fiaryn on
  • RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    THEY ARE INVADING AGAIN OH NOES!

How have we not wiped out all of the Rikti on our earth and all of the ones back on their earth?

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Uh...Rikti invasion?

Linky? Info?

Ender on
    edited November 2010
    http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=3302566#post3302566

Jump into the battle now as humanity endeavors to fight for its survival against an armada of Rikti!

Join your fellow Heroes and Villains on your home server now until 11:59 p.m. Pacific ( 1:59 a.m. Central / 2:59 a.m. Eastern / 7:59 a.m. British / 8:59 Central European Time), Sunday, November 7th, 2010!

Stay strong and watch out for those nasty bombs!

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Robziel wrote: »
    http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=3302566#post3302566
    For a limited time, the annoying zombie zone spawns will be replaced by annoying rikti zone spawns!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I was hoping for i19 so I could pry myself away from Fallout New Vegas and Minecraft. A Rikti Invasion will send me farther away from City of.

Robziel on
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't worry gang! These aren't actual Rikti, but just the leftover Rikti programming from our abuse of the AE system last year, going rogue and escaping into the real world.
    (No, seriously, why haven't they done that storyline yet?)

WeX Majors on
    edited November 2010
    I'm not sure why they thought Rikti Invasions would be less annoying. At least zombies don't shoot you out of the sky with tactical nukes.

Fiaryn on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I'm not sure why they thought Rikti Invasions would be less annoying. At least zombies don't shoot you out of the sky with tactical nukes.

That should be next year's Halloween event. Zombies with Nukes!

KurnDerak on
    edited November 2010
    Well, looks like I came back just in time to miss everyone else. Oh well. Guess I'll make some mans, solo for a bit and write some background/fanfic for my characters.

Hey, now at least my Ghost Stryker character (a good Arachnos agent from Preatoria) can actually be from Preatoria and what not.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I haven't been around much lately because work is going crazy right now.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OMG I love the new origins booster and have made at least 10 characters because of it.

I keep getting all these ideas, man!

It is getting a bit crazy.

Ronin356 on
    Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

edited November 2010
    at least the rikti invasion made it easy to finish off the relevant accolade on my blaster

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I'm guessing they reloaded the rikti invasion to give all the new level 50s from Praetoria a chance to get that dorky accolade.

Zone events are still dumb.

Narbus on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I got an E-Mail.
    Dear City of Heroes(R) Customer!

You are invited to join the City of Heroes Development Team as we are conducting a Loyalty Beta test of Issue 19: Alpha Strike.

SETUP

It's EASY to participate! Your "XXXXXXXXXXXX" game account has been flagged for access to the Beta Test Server. The restricted test is going on NOW, so log in and check it out! If you are not familiar with the Beta Test Server, how to access it or how to copy your characters to it, you can refer to this message board post. http://blahblahvlah

A Beta installer can be downloaded from the same link
    http://blahblahblah

CHARACTER COPY

If you would like to copy over any of your characters from the Live servers to the Closed Beta Test Server, please use the link to do so: http://blahblahblah

IF YOUR GAME ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE

If your account is currently inactive but you still wish to participate in the Closed Beta, we welcome you to reactivate your billing subscription on your game account and join us. You can find subscribing instructions in our Support Center at http://blahblahblah Please note that it may take up to 48 hours from the time you reactivate your account for the change to be reflected on the Closed Beta server.

FEEDBACK

Use "/bug" and the Closed Beta Forums! Please note that your Forum access may not be immediately available. You can post feedback on the Closed Beta Forums at http://blahblahblah

We want to hear from you! Once you are set up and playing on the Closed Beta Test Server, your main method of providing feedback will be to use the /bug command in game.

If you are a user of the City of Heroes message forums and are not able to see the Closed Beta Testing Forum within 48 hours after receiving this Closed Beta invitation, you can send a Private Message to 'theOcho' or 'Avatea' and we will set up your forum account within 48 hours of receiving your message. You can also send an email to [cohmoderation@ncsoft.com].

We may request suggestions, feedback, commentary or other statements (collectively, the "Feedback") from you concerning your experience during the Beta Test. Your providing of such Feedback is entirely voluntary. We shall be free to disclose and use your Feedback as we see fit, without any obligation of any kind to you. You hereby assign and agree to assign us all right, title, and interest in and to all Feedback provided to us.

CONFIDENTIALITY

For this phase of testing, the Closed Beta Test Server is only available to select accounts. Involvement with this testing is a privilege and we ask that you:

- Do not discuss details of this test with anyone not in the test
    - Do not talk about who else is in the beta
    - Do not tell others that you are in the beta or
    - Do not discuss any information that you learn about in this test with anyone outside of the test.

Thank you for keeping the details of this test confidential!

ADDITIONAL PARTICIPATION

Currently, we are not looking to invite additional attendees to the Closed Beta test. If you have friends or family who are interested in participating, you should know that everyone will have access to the Open Beta version of soon. The actual timing of open testing will depend on how internal testing proceeds and what issues we uncover.

SUMMARY

- Join us NOW for the Closed Beta Test of City of Heroes Issue 19: Alpha Strike.

- The test is being held on the Beta Server. Instructions for accessing it can be found on our message board http://blahblahblah

- A Beta installer can be downloaded from here: http://blahblahblah

- Use the Beta Forums at http://blahblahblah and the /bug command in game to give us your feedback!

- This restricted test is your opportunity to work with the City of Heroes Dev Team and help polish this important new addition! We are looking forward to seeing you in the game!

The City of Heroes Development Team

(c) 2004 - 2010 NC Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved. City of Heroes, City of Heroes Going Rogue, Paragon Studios, NCsoft, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation. Cryptic Studios is a trademark of Cryptic Studios, Inc. All other trademarks or registered

Why would a loyalty beta have resub instructions?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    CONFIDENTIALITY

For this phase of testing, the Closed Beta Test Server is only available to select accounts. Involvement with this testing is a privilege and we ask that you:

- Do not discuss details of this test with anyone not in the test
    - Do not talk about who else is in the beta
    - Do not discuss any information that you learn about in this test with anyone outside of the test.

Classy.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I am not subbed. I did not ask for an invite.

If they want to shotgun beta invites in order to drum up more business, it isn't my responsibility to keep it secret.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    That's why they just ask you politely, like adults.

Tube on
    edited November 2010
    Kay wrote: »

Classy.

First, since I am not in the beta test, that request has not been disregarded. Were I in the beta test, I would not have posted this. Thus, first request granted.

They are expecting me to pay money to participate. That fact is a game changer, and my obligations in regards to a for-profit company that I am not a customer of don't seem to match yours. *shrug*

Since I am not in the test, and this cannot discuss anything I (don't) learn about the test due to my non-participation, second request is fulfilled.

You are welcome Paragon Studios. I am keeping the details of your test confidential by first not posting the URLs that you sent me in the unsolicited E-Mail, and also by not participating in it.

All requests granted!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    You're under no obligation not to fart in crowded elevators either, you just don't do it because it's a dick move.

Tube on
    edited November 2010
    You're under no obligation not to fart in crowded elevators either, you just don't do it because it's a dick move.

Tube, you know I respect you a lot, but I am in disagreement with you about the E-Mail. I do agree with you about the elevator farting, but I don't see an applicable parallel here.

Edit: If you want analogies, here is one for you.

Picture me walking down the street, and some guy I used to know flags me down and says "You want a hit of this beta? Only 15 bucks!" and I am like "No man, I quit that a log time ago, I'm clean now."

You notice I didn't walk in here saying "Man, guys, I am so [beta] right now, you have no idea! But now I am hungry."

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bri, I can't see any other purpose of your post than to stir things up and complain about something completely trivial. On top of that you take a very "fuck them I'll do what I want" approach instead of just deleting the e-mail and moving on like an adult. That is what makes you a dick in this case.

Gear Girl on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bri you could've been like "hey guys i got a beta invite for i19 even though i'm not subbed anymore" without posting the whole dang email

Pony on
    edited November 2010
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Bri, I can't see any other purpose of your post than to stir things up and complain about something completely trivial. On top of that you take a very "fuck them I'll do what I want" approach instead of just deleting the e-mail and moving on like an adult. That is what makes you a dick in this case.

Robziel on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gear Girl wrote: »

I think his question is quite valid, actually.

It's a beta invite based on loyalty and he's not even subbed.

That and it has clear resubscribing info.

i.e., the inference is that it's not really for loyalty, it's just looking for a way to bring customers back in.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's definitely not the classiest way for them to do it.
    Pony wrote: »
    bri you could've been like "hey guys i got a beta invite for i19 even though i'm not subbed anymore" without posting the whole dang email

I imagine copy and pasting is quicker.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The loyalty program was from October to December of last year I believe, so if he was subbed during that time he is eligible. It's not like they're reaching out to random people.

Arcas on
    edited November 2010
    Arcas wrote: »
    The loyalty program was from October to December of last year I believe, so if he was subbed during that time he is eligible. It's not like they're reaching out to random people.

I was not resubbed during that period.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I guess they made a mistake or they really like you.

Arcas on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Even if you weren't, you were a loyal customer for a decently long period of time and they are offering you a reason(whether you believe it good enough or not) to come back. Why does loyalty have to be right now this very moment? You would have still been loyal to your company after retirement and it isn't as if they know you left for any negative reason.

Gear Girl on
This discussion has been closed.