Options

[CoX] Issue 20: Incarnates is live!

• Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope that carries with it a free server transfer period, so we can do some free renames.

kafziel on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't see why, all it'll do is make the server list bigger. They're not exactly inconveniencing you.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's not a matter of inconvenience. It's a matter of "Hey, US players can now play on EU servers, and vice versa! To facilitate crossplay, we'll let you transfer your existing characters to the other servers for free!"

Like how they gave us a week of free transfers with Going Rogue's launch.

kafziel on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any thoughts on whether I should go with a spiritual or a musculature alpha slot on my earth/fire dominator?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    musculature

MOAR DAMAGE

plus spiritual doesn't effect Domination

Pony on
  • Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I went spiritual core with my earth/fire. Stalagmites is your main mez power and the stun/rech helps quite a bit. It'll also help volcanic gasses recharge faster.

Arcas on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spirit would help with perma-dom wouldn't it? The stun part would be good too for Stalactites.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    spirit only helps with perma dom in the sense that it makes hasten easier to get perma

basically I'm trying to decide whether I'll get more damage out of having my aoes recharge faster, or out of having the damage enhancement

I think I'ma try a spiritual, at least up to a tier 3. After that maybe I'll make a musculature and see how I like that.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So if you're on an EU server, the short version is that if some filthy North American has your account name and/or global handle, then your account name and/or global handle now has an "EU" appended to the front of it, and you get a free global rename. But you can finally /chanjoin Penny Arcade! So in the end you do win!

Narbus on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Narbus wrote: »
    So if you're on an EU server, the short version is that if some filthy North American has your account name and/or global handle, then your account name and/or global handle now has an "EU" appended to the front of it, and you get a free global rename. But you can finally /chanjoin Penny Arcade! So in the end you do win!
    I guess this also means everyone just got a whole bunch of new character slots? Especially the Euros.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I am going to make an Elec/Elec Brute

is there any reason I shouldn't do this

every set i pick has critics, every decision i make i get told i'm wrong

now is your chance

Pony on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2011
    It's okay, but still kinda shitty without +recharge. The ST DPS is awful, but with some effort you can chain the first attack, CI and Mu Lightning for okay damage. Definitely better than before the set got the self heal, when I considered the pairing abysmal (my
    50 was done before Energize).

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    so it goes good with Mu, then? Perfect. I was planning on going with Mu for flavor reasons so that works great.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, I did not know Spiritual did not effect Domination. Any other powers it doesn't work on?

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    Hmm, I did not know Spiritual did not effect Domination. Any other powers it doesn't work on?

Alpha Slots don't work on powers that don't take Enhancements. Of those, Domination is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I should really write that thing up.

The Alpha Boost is NOT a buff, it is an ENHANCEMENT. Thus anything you cannot enhance is unaffected by the Alpha Boost. Domination, Ninja Run, Beast Run, Self Destruct, Temp Jet Packs, Sands of Mu, all of these are not able to be enhanced, thus they are totally unaffected by the Alpha Slot. Also powers that are set to be unaffected by certain buffs (One with the Shield cannot be affected by +recharge, Quicksand cannot be affected by -defense) are thus unaffected.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the way the alpha slot works and the impact it has on your slotting is actually pretty unintuitive if you're not up on game mechanics. I wish they had just made it a global buff and then excluded some powers from it's effect.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So, WST is the ITF I see?

On the Ides of March even.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the way the alpha slot works and the impact it has on your slotting is actually pretty unintuitive if you're not up on game mechanics. I wish they had just made it a global buff and then excluded some powers from it's effect.

learn to play man

Seriously, though, I do most of the numbers for my SG so how Alpha works and how Level Shift works and everything all seems really obvious and makes total sense, but trying to explain Level Shift to someone who doesn't have that same knowledge is really difficult. There's a certain amount of context necessary before you can really wrap your head around it.

Which I don't really have a problem with. Too few people in this game know how shit works, and learning it is important. Making it a global buff that arbitrarily didn't apply to some specific things would be even more confusing, while the current application is a pretty simple and consistent rule.

kafziel on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    well yeah, ultimately it's not that complicated, it's just that the distinction between "enhancement" percentages and global buff percentages is really arbitrary and counter-intuitive. You want to apply percentage-based scalars to powers, awesome. Let's have some percentages cap out after a while and other percentages not, and have the UI be bad at displaying how these two groups of superficially similar percentages interact, not so awesome.

I mean, I know why it is the way it is and I know it's unlikely to ever be redesigned in a way that makes sense. I'm just recalling the many "this is what enhancement is and this is what a global buff is" convos from various chats after the alpha slot dropped and thinking man, this is a dumb way to design things

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh hey, I might get some time to play tonight, is everyone already ITf'd out?

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    well yeah, ultimately it's not that complicated, it's just that the distinction between "enhancement" percentages and global buff percentages is really arbitrary and counter-intuitive. You want to apply percentage-based scalars to powers, awesome. Let's have some percentages cap out after a while and other percentages not, and have the UI be bad at displaying how these two groups of superficially similar percentages interact, not so awesome.

I mean, I know why it is the way it is and I know it's unlikely to ever be redesigned in a way that makes sense. I'm just recalling the many "this is what enhancement is and this is what a global buff is" convos from various chats after the alpha slot dropped and thinking man, this is a dumb way to design things

Enhancement is what enhancements do. Global Buffs is what everything else does.

Simple!

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I feel bad for crapping out on that second ITF last night without saying anything but my computer decided it was time to be a dick and by the time I got it work right I figured you guys had already started.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Finally got my purple alpha slot last night. Got 8 shard drops in a speed ITF :o

Time to take a break from this character and go see if I can get my Widow up to 50 in a reasonable amount of time. The 30's-40's really seem to drag.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Well if yer widow's 35+ and has unlocked Roman Town you can bring her on ITF's and get some pretty decent levels that way. The first time you do it you'll get a super special end bonus equal to about half or three fourths of a level

Robziel on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've thought about that, but I'm going through the higher level redside content for the first time, so I don't really feel the need to power-level too much at this point. I'm kind of enjoying having her be an enforcer for the Family in St. Martial for the time being.

The Golden Giza really needs blackjack and roulette mini-games.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Ahh yes, I would recommend not skipping the redside content since it is pretty cool, though to be honest I hated St. Martial because of WAILERS WAILERS EVERYWHERE!

Still some good contacts in the pyramid and the unlockable "secret" contact, while WAILERS EVERYWHERE has a good story and a great final mission.

Robziel on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    The Golden Giza really needs blackjack and roulette mini-games.
    Only if you get the option to blow the table straight to hell when you lose.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    EU9oz.png

Enjoy this. I did.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    narbus what am i even looking at

Pony on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The greatest PvP builds ever man!

Lep on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A kinetic who took powersink. And aid other. And not siphon speed. Or speed boost.

Narbus on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Who needs more recharge? Pshaw, repel is obviously the better choice.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I had yet another really dumb character concept, but before I finally fill out my last character slot on Virtue, lemme ask the experts:
    How's a Plant/Earth dominator? dumb combo, or would work rather well?

WeX Majors on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Stealth question: I took concealment on my character but later found out about the IO's that grant your character stealth. I now have one of those slotted (the celerity one, I believe).

If I respec out of concealment but keep the stealth IO slotted, are there any downsides? I know concealment gives a little defense, but I'm already above the softcap without it.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited March 2011
    More stealth makes you more stealthy, by that I mean it makes it harder for people to detect you. The stealth IO gives you enough stealth that that dosen't matter but there will be an Incarnate trial eventually where more stealth will actually make a difference.

Also, more Def above the softcap is not a bad thing.

Robziel on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Stealth question: I took concealment on my character but later found out about the IO's that grant your character stealth. I now have one of those slotted (the celerity one, I believe).

If I respec out of concealment but keep the stealth IO slotted, are there any downsides? I know concealment gives a little defense, but I'm already above the softcap without it.

Well, without getting too heavily into numbers, what we call "stealth" is actually just a reduction of perception radius - that is, if you have stealth things, you reduce the range from which enemies can see you. Enemies have a certain amount of perception, and player ATs have a stealth cap. Invisibility gives enough to reach that cap, which is also enough to reduce the perception of most enemies to 0, so they cannot see you unless you break stealth or trigger aggro. Stealth, Super Speed, Steamy Mist, Arctic Fog, Shadow Fall, the stealth IOs; these things give partial stealth - not enough to reduce perception to 0, but enough that you have to get a lot closer before enemies will notice you. However, those things all stack, so you can take any two partial stealth powers and be at the stealth cap. Also however, some enemies, like Rikti Drones or Rularuu Eyeballs, have inherent perception boosts that even capped stealth isn't enough to get past, and they'll see you no matter how hidden you think you are.

So, short version. Having an IO is the same as having Stealth, but neither is enough to actually be all the way invisible all on its own. Having both, or an IO plus Super Speed, will do it. So will Invisibility, but Invisibility sucks.

kafziel on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    So I had yet another really dumb character concept, but before I finally fill out my last character slot on Virtue, lemme ask the experts:
    How's a Plant/Earth dominator? dumb combo, or would work rather well?

Couldn't be any worse than my Earth/TA controller.
    There was an exercise in frustration....

I can lock down ANYTHING... I just can't kill a fly.
    (this might have changed with Containment though)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I can't speak on Earth Assault, but Plant pretty much goes awesome with everything. Seeds of Confusion is massively powerful.

Corvus on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What about a Dual Pistol/Kinetics Corrupter?
    I played one on a trial last week, and it seemed fun, though some of the DP recharge times combined with long animations were painful. I figured siphon speed would help with that somewhat.

Also, who wants to send me a welcome back code that I can use on Monday after work? I've been out for 90+ days...
    Email is screen name (at) msn.com.

see317 on
This discussion has been closed.