As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoX] Issue 20: Incarnates is live!

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That is the best thing

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I almost hate to interrupt this........................

but

does Sprint have any effect on the speed of Hover?

Shawnasee on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    sprint only buffs runspeed

swift affects flying speed, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited March 2011
    yeah I put a fly enhancer in swift.

I've heard Hover is pretty quick nowadays. I haven't had it on a character since I got it back in 2004 so I am clueless here.

Shawnasee on
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have an HO in Sprint. SUCK IT DOWN.

Wallhitter on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2011
    It's not like HOs are that expensive. Come back when you have purples in Brawl.

A duck! on
    edited March 2011
    Is the Ranged Defense softcap the same as all the others?

I'm thinking a hovering Assault Rifle/Devices blaster would be better off with a soft capped Range defense but not really sure if it's the same as Smashing/Lethal.

Shawnasee on
  • kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it is. Softcap is 45% Defense, outside of incarnate trials.

Keep in mind for your hovering blaster that you might well want AoE defense too. Plenty of AoE attacks that fire at range.

kafziel on
  • RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    New WSF is live Manticore and Renault.

Also the WSF's for the next two weeks:

APRIL 2011

April 5th to April 11th - Time’s Arrow (from Imperious in Cimerora)

April 12th to April 18th - Clamor and Destruction (from Sister Psyche in Independence Port) / Pirates of the Skies (from Silver Mantis in Sharkhead Isle or your supergroup or villaingroup base's mission computer or oracle)

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Villains need more strike forces.

Arcas on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone interested in running a PA Manticore TF either tonight or tomorrow, around 8-9 Pacific? I actually have a character on Virtue in the right level range for that one, and it would be fun to run out with some of y'all.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just shout in the channel whenever you feel like starting it up.

Lep on
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Psyche and Silver Mantis again? Pass on that.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd just like to comment on how hilarious it is that, reading the general population numbers from the forums, that CoX has outlasted Champions Online, and has already effectively outlasted DCUO from what I'm hearing of their attrition. Though I guess WoW has done the same to pretty much every fantasy MMO that's gone up against it as well, hasn't it?

Astale on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last I checked, CO is still going?

Glal on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It went F2P as an alternative to shutting down. And the population didn't exactly jump due to the change.

I mean, okay, "It's still running", but I have to put those quotes there to even type it with a straight face.

Edit: If your definition of an MMO failure is a total shutdown, then we're not on the same page. I'm looking at both those games taking a major population dive from which Jesus Christ himself would have to raise them from, whereas CoX has been stable at a decent number for a very long time. Despite being older and lacking many "features" both of the newer games have. Kinda like the WoW vs. Every other fantasy game thing.

Astale on
    edited March 2011
    No one even said failure. I was merely curious what your implication was based on, given that both CO's population and profit seem to have gone up since the F2P change.

Glal on
  • tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    No one even said failure. I was merely curious what your implication was based on, given that both CO's population and profit seem to have gone up since the F2P change.

CO was quite dead before the change the $ system to f2p and then the numbers exploded. However the have lost in the last weeks quite some players. No surprise. :P

You can check here the xfire/raptr numbers. http://simple-n-complex.blogspot.com/search/label/XFire

Well I doubt anyone with a ps3 will use the tools but at last dc looks in a bad shape.

If I could chose one hero mmo out of the 3. I would pick every time CoX. Way more fun my taste...

tricon on
    edited March 2011
    Losing players shortly after going free is akin to losing players a month after release; expecting everyone who never played it before to stay is pretty silly. The question is, does it have more players than it did before and is it profitable? If so, I don't see where the doom gloom comes from.
    Personally, I'm bored with CoX. I come back once a year for a month until a couple of weeks later I remember why I don't stay subscribed and drop again.

Which isn't to say I'm playing CO, but that has more to do with currently being subscribed to WoW than anything else.

Glal on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I enjoyed CO for a few months. After a while, though, the campiness of the setting started to annoy me. CoX does humor in-game pretty well without crossing the line to camp, but I think CO went too tongue-in-cheek.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited March 2011
    Yeah, I think I like the setting in CoX much better. There's also some fantastic writing in the later content.

Glal on
    edited March 2011
    I can't get to softcap S/L defense on this Fiery/Sheild brute without giving up a SHITE ton of recharge.
    Is this an acceptable sacrifice? I mean, who needs recharge?

And Why doesn't SHIELD DEFENSE have more defense?

Shawnasee on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    shield is a positional set, so

trying to softcap s/l is kind of a poor way to go at it

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited March 2011

Does not compute...

Shawnasee on
    edited March 2011
    You have positional defense and you have typed defense; positional refers to ranged/melee/aoe, typed refers to smashing and lethal, energy, etc. The shield toggles provide positional defenses (you have one toggle for melee, and one for ranged and aoe.)

Positional defenses don't stack with typed defenses; the incoming attack rolls against whichever is higher. So if you have 25% ranged or whatever and 20% S/L, an incoming ranged smashing attack rolls against the ranged defense and ignores the s/l number.

Since shield's toggles already give you positionals, you should add more of those via sets, not try to cap out s/l.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shawnasee wrote: »

Does not compute...

Ignore your Smashing, Lethal, Fire, Cold, Energy, Negative Energy, and Psionic defense. As a Shield, your goal is to softcap your Melee, Ranged, and AoE defenses. Because that's what your toggles give.

kafziel on
    edited March 2011
    Ok, fixed.

Damn it takes a lot of 6 slotted sets(Shield Breaker/Lockdown/Touch of Death etc...) to get Ranged, Melee and AoE to the softcap.
    Where are the Kinetic Combats of the Ranged defense world? 4 Slots = 3.75% S/L Defense.

And thanks for the knowledge.

Shawnasee on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    I enjoyed CO for a few months. After a while, though, the campiness of the setting started to annoy me. CoX does humor in-game pretty well without crossing the line to camp, but I think CO went too tongue-in-cheek.

CO made me realize that in-jokes and pop culture references are no replacement for real writing.

I've always really liked what Manticore (CoH's writer) did with the CoH setting.

Scooter on
  • ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So it looks like new issue is next week. Two free respecs too.
    Several of us had the good fortune recently to partake of an all-expenses-paid luxury excursion to PAX East in Boston (just call us the Jet Set). We had a fantastic time meeting players at the meet and greet on Friday night, and of course the Panel on Saturday morning is always a lot of fun for us. Unfortunately, Matt "Positron" Miller was ill Saturday morning and none of us rolled Emp Defender, so Matt had to sit out the panel. (Matt thanks everyone for their well-wishes and of course for attending the panel, even though he wasn't able to make it).

Food poisoning aside, we had a great time at our PAX East panel. When we arrived we were greeted with an excited and eager line of fans raring to get in (check out this pic from CoH player @ransim - http://twitpic.com/48t87i ). It was great to see everyone positive and excited about what we were presenting, and there was in particular a lot of cheering and applause over the announcement of the upcoming Global Server List. It's no surprise that this announcement was extremely well received, as a Global Server List has been a common request for quite a while now, and recent consolidation of our server operations has finally made this possible. This also opens the potential for additional database optimizations in the future, which will benefit everyone in the long run.

Because the European players are very important to us, we wanted to provide you with an even larger pool of players to give your community the opportunity to grow and the chance to make new friends from across the globe. We're anticipating that a number of people will stop in to say hello (and, of course, make some characters in the new slots available). I know I'm looking forward to having a chance to practice my laughably rusty French.

We know that your online and in-game identities are important. City of Heroes is at its heart a game about who you are, not just what you do. We've all spent the last 7 years forming friendships, alliances, and rivalries in City of Heroes, and we know that anything that can impact your in-game identity can be a reason for concern. At the same time, to make this server list change happen, we need to ensure your identity remains unique from other players. We did a lot of data mining and found that pre-pending the names of EU accounts affected the fewest active players (the difference is hundreds vs thousands).

We want the process by which this happens to be very clear for everyone. We considered a number of solutions to the identity collision challenges presented by Global Server Access, and many of these options were quite complex and potentially confusing. Because we have to communicate the process to a number of players in multiple languages, and make it clear enough so everyone knows exactly what to expect, we chose the most direct route we could while disrupting the fewest players. At the same time, a more widespread solution such as pre-pending every European player's global name, even if there was no collision, may have been clearer, but was too intrusive. To be clear, this solution affects no character names and affects a very small number of players' account and global names.

Complex solutions introduce risk, as well, and we want to increase the chances that the necessary disruption to your play experience will happen one time, and not be drawn out or risk your game data.

I know the feeling of seeing someone else with your name. A year ago I transferred my original main character from Victory to Virtue. I lost the character name matching my global name in the transfer. A few months ago, I happened to log into Atlas Park standing next to the character who had my old name (what are the odds?). He actually offered to give up the character name when I mentioned it to him, but I didn't want to do that to someone else.

We have been listening to your feedback carefully here at Paragon Studios, and Zwillinger, Avatea, and Beastyle have done a fantastic job of representing your concerns. We loved the suggestion to let people reactivate old accounts to reduce the number of shared names between regions. We'll definitely make that happen for you shortly before we change over to the Global Server List.

In the meantime, we are very excited about Issue 20 launching next week! The Incarnate System has been a long time in development, and we know it brings some new depth to your long-established characters. In the interest of helping you set up your characters right to take advantage of the Incarnate powers--and tune a build for the Incarnate Trials--we will be offering a free respec with the issue launch. We will also be giving you a free repsec with the Anniversary celebrations at the end of April, as well, so no need to hoard it, either!

Arcas on
    edited March 2011
    Free respecs are ALWAYS welcome.

Shawnasee on
    edited March 2011
    Hmm guess I'm waiting a week to respec some guys

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
    edited March 2011
    Robziel wrote: »
    Hmm guess I'm waiting a week to respec some guys

You mean I _won't_ have to run Terra Volta a bajillion times to respec all my characters that still have the Fitness pool? Niiiiiice.

shalmelo on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you haven't respecced since that change, you already have a freespec.

CyberJackal on
    edited March 2011

On every character? Huh. I only noticed it on one of them.

shalmelo on
    edited March 2011
    Tube and I were at the panel, and everything positive he said about the experience is a bald-faced lie. Hell is other gamers.

A duck! on
    edited March 2011
    You guys could have said "hi"

Robziel on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    shalmelo wrote: »

On every character? Huh. I only noticed it on one of them.

You should. When they hand out freespecs it's to every character, not one to an account.

...gods, can you imagine how much that would suck?

see317 on
    edited March 2011
    Robziel wrote: »
    You guys could have said "hi"

Sorry, I was too busy reeling from the guy who kept going up and asking for combo attacks and dragons and vehicles and the ability to take the best powers from every set and whatever else he fucking asked for to talk to anyone.

A duck! on
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game does need more dragons duck, you can't deny him dragons.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man I forgot about that inherent Fitness thing completely at some point. Maybe I should make my comeback (again) for I20.

Question, what's the Global Server List thing he mentioned in the spoiler?

Ledneh on
This discussion has been closed.