As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk ballin' last gen JRPGS

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey so I finally got that fuckin Crescent Falchion in 4-1

A question about the stats, it says it has Physical Sttack 67, Magical Attack 82+15. So does that mean my attacks with it do 67 physical damage AND 97 magic damage at the same time or what

because, uh

goddamn son

that's a lot

Ledneh on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It boosts magical damage, that's why it's an ideal weapon for mages.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Chrono CatfishChrono Catfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought the Ideal mage weapon was Kris blade+5.

I thought crescent was the prefix that slowly restored Mp

Chrono Catfish on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, got Flame Toss too

praise the good lord jesus christ A PULLING TOOL

Ledneh on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought the Ideal mage weapon was Kris blade+5.

I thought crescent was the prefix that slowly restored Mp

I like the Falchion more.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Edit: Suikoden

True that

This reminds me that I need to play 3. Loved the first 2 but haven't played any past that.

I would not recommend it...

Suikoden 3 is NOTHING like the first 2. The first 2 have infinitely more character, story, charm, everything. The 3rd is so bad. I was incredibly excited for it, bought it first day, played for like 20 hours, hoping that it would get better. It just never did. I've picked it up twice since in the hope that maybe I could like it, but still nothing.

Nocturne wrote: »
    Yeah I remember spending much of the game inching forward slowly with my shield up at all times

I wanted to quote this because I spent HOURS and HOURS doing this after my brutal first few hours of the game getting absolutely destroyed.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wait, what? Suikoden 3's my favorite.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It boosts magical damage, that's why it's an ideal weapon for mages.

What does that mean, though? It's not making my spells hit any harder when it's out, that's for sure

Ledneh on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I think hearing such mixed reviews about Suikoden 3 is the reason I have yet to play it

We will see, maybe someday

Nocturne on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are you sure you're not thinking of 4? 3 is very widely regarded as one of the best in the series. Many disliked 4 simply because they would have rather had the series end on such a high note.

Javen on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    2 is the best but 3 is excellent as well.

4 is poop. Poop in a diaper.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I also liked 5, save for 3 things

the main character looks really stupid
    your best friend is pretty annoying
    your tactician totally breaks the game

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    D'y suppose it's possible to get the purple flame shield the dragons in 1-1 are guarding while they're there by running very very fast then dying? Or impossible

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Suikoden 3 also had the best tactician.

caesar01a.png

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    D'y suppose it's possible to get the purple flame shield the dragons in 1-1 are guarding while they're there by running very very fast then dying? Or impossible

HIGHLY unlikely. Wait for PWWT when they're not there, or go back later once you've reached 1-4.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, spoot on a stick

Is there any way to raise world tendency in 1-1 or am I waiting it out?

(edit) Ha HA nevermind I got it suck it cj 8-)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I am partial to Apple

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoxvPalE31gyLd4914tc5fViLD4ELdSowefdujS-ZWS3wVNHM&t=1&usg=__CNFGLGkkoeJM6CaBFTL1832cMYA=

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, spoot on a stick

Is there any way to raise world tendency in 1-1 or am I waiting it out?

(edit) Ha HA nevermind I got it suck it cj 8-)

He'll be waiting for you at the Nexus to get it back.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I like Apple because she was actually fallible. Which is exactly what I didn't like about the broad from 5.

It's like, as soon as you get her, the 20 or so hours of gameplay is just dragging out a foregone conclusion

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seriously, when I first played that game, I heard rumors about the Nexus having demon invasion events. Imagine that nonsense.

Also, the developers had considered making it perma death at first. Yeesh.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Most badass playable character in a Suikoden game?

I'm voting Pesmerga

Pesmerga01.gif

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know I'm thinking of 3. I never played 4 cause of the taste 3 left in my mouth. I never heard anyone speak well of it until here, I guess, any of my friends that played it didn't like it either.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My personal favorite would have to be

Crowley02.gif

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was always a fan of Humphrey, myself

Or Georg

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also both Suikoden games have an awesome soundtrack

One of my favorite boss themes of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXuJ2cHx7Aw

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    2 did have the best music, by far.

My biggest complaint about 3 was that the music definitely was no up to the usual series standards

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Georg was a fucking beast in your party. His character was kind of boring though.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Between this thread and the game music thread I now have like fifty million games to play

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Ledneh on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Question: Is there any rpg, on any platform, that is going more in the direction of old school hard/baldure's gate/witcher 1/loot heavy/story heavy/in depth combat that you pause on type RPG coming out in the next year or so? Everything seems to be going in the other direction, simple combat, imitate the ME2 choice system, go to consoles, etc.

tldr any word on Diablo 3? Has blizcon set a date on the actual real release yet? Ah screw it im gonna go get BG over at GOG.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Witcher 2(?) and Demon's Souls 2/Project Dark come to mind.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    But are those within the next year? I loved those games but I did not expect them to release sequels any time soon, particularly the just announced at E3 Project Dark.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Witcher 2 and PD are both 2011, no telling when though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Question: Is there any rpg, on any platform, that is going more in the direction of old school hard/baldure's gate/witcher 1/loot heavy/story heavy/in depth combat that you pause on type RPG coming out in the next year or so? Everything seems to be going in the other direction, simple combat, imitate the ME2 choice system, go to consoles, etc.

tldr any word on Diablo 3? Has blizcon set a date on the actual real release yet? Ah screw it im gonna go get BG over at GOG.

Pretty sure the only things going in that direction are smaller budget titles (out of necessity) and some Japanese style games but it's not a good thing with every series, if you ask me. What I played of Dragon Age 2 at PAX convinced me that they aren't going the ME2 route as much as most people assume, though, so that's still going to happen.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Went to start up Persona 3 again after beating it

Corrupt data

gonna go weep softly into my pillow now

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Now that I've finally got a handle on how Demon's Souls works and how to get started, I can't decide on what I want to be

A badass two hander, a wizard par excellence, a disciple of God, a sword&board type, or what

Someone decide on what I want to drive towards for me!

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sorcerer, always.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Should I get the DS version or the PSP version of Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords? I've never played a Puzzle Quest game before.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PSP, definitely. It has a bug or two, but it looks and sounds the nicest.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Now that I've finally got a handle on how Demon's Souls works and how to get started, I can't decide on what I want to be

A badass two hander, a wizard par excellence, a disciple of God, a sword&board type, or what

Someone decide on what I want to drive towards for me!

noble

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Behold the greatest voice acting of our time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVL3x72p3rg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png