As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [iPad Thread] is coming soon to a Verizon Wireless retail store near you

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yay for everyone.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    One of my favorite changes is being able to search within safari pages. Now I just need a jailbreak for 3G Unrestrictor, Backgrounder, Tab+... The list goes on.

do you really need backgrounder with OS 4.2?

I've been running the beta since b1 and haven't missed backgrounder one bit.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Suds wrote: »
    One of my favorite changes is being able to search within safari pages. Now I just need a jailbreak for 3G Unrestrictor, Backgrounder, Tab+... The list goes on.

do you really need backgrounder with OS 4.2?

I've been running the beta since b1 and haven't missed backgrounder one bit.

Yes. I like to keep IRC running in the background. All the current IRC apps disconnect after 10 minutes.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hm
    i kind of want to upgrade to it but there's no stable jailbreak for 4.2 yet, right?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hm
    i kind of want to upgrade to it but there's no stable jailbreak for 4.2 yet, right?

It's been jailbroken, but it's currently a tethered jailbreak (an untethered one is due soon). Also, Cydia (afaik) doesn't yet work on 4.2.1

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I personally don't see anything amazingly awesome in the jailbreaking stores that I want now that I have functional multitasking that warrants the break.

Unless I am just missing some really awesome software.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Most of the jailbreak killer apps are iPhone-specific. The only thing I miss about having a jailbroken iPad is FullForce (tricks iPhone apps into running iPad-native, with occasionally fantastic results)

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I could think of a few things that would be neat for the iPad that I would like to have, but jailbreaking won't do it either so i'm still shit out of luck.

I'm going to start looking into smart-housing my residence when I get back to the states, I want my iPad to control lighting, music, t.v., etc. Should be a fun project to try and keep cost low.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There's a lot of reason for me to Jailbreak my iPad.

3G Unrestrictor, YourTube HD, Safari Download Manager, iFile, Tab+, Virtual Memory, Fullforce, Backgrounder (for apps that don't have native backgrounding), Enhanced Tabs, SBSettings, Activator, Popup Blocker, Action Menu

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, I like this solution for screen orientation lock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLw_IGShqk

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Wait, did the price of the iPad go UP?

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?cid=AIC-WWW-NACA-K2-BUYNOW-IPAD-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-IPAD-INDEX

Didn't it start at $499?

it started at $549 in canada

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Wait, did the price of the iPad go UP?

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?cid=AIC-WWW-NACA-K2-BUYNOW-IPAD-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-IPAD-INDEX

Didn't it start at $499?

it started at $549 in canada

HAH HAH!

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like the software orientation lock.

With the case on my iPad (inCase Snap) it can be hard to tell which side of the iPad the now-Mute button is on, as well as hard to slide b/c of the case.

With the software lock, it's always going to be 'double-tap, slide left, far corner' no matter which way I'm holding the iPad.

Also, finally got my brother to try mine out and he's already planning to buy one by Christmas. I let him use LogMeIn to remote in to his computers in Colorado. First thing he did was boot up WoW.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In his defence, if it's actually useable that is an awesome use.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey Rothgarr, as a Reason user, have you tried TouchOSC with OSCulator? I got it working awhile ago but didn't pursue it because I couldn't figure out any way to get Record to send data back to the iPad (i.e. I could assign a fader to be controlled in TouchOSC, but changing it back in Record wouldn't update it on the iPad).

This looks very promising but hasn't updated in awhile and I have no clue how they got bidirectional data working.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hey Rothgarr, as a Reason user, have you tried TouchOSC with OSCulator? I got it working awhile ago but didn't pursue it because I couldn't figure out any way to get Record to send data back to the iPad (i.e. I could assign a fader to be controlled in TouchOSC, but changing it back in Record wouldn't update it on the iPad).

This looks very promising but hasn't updated in awhile and I have no clue how they got bidirectional data working.

I haven't -- I should check it out. Unfortunately... my free time has become extremely limited lately...

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really, really, really miss the hardware rotation lock and it was almost enough to not make me want to upgrade my iPad to 4.2(.1) but the lure of folders was to much and I took the hit.

I hate that if I forget to lock the rotation and I'm watching a video it pauses and then sometimes doesn't resume properly and I have to scrub all the way back to where I was. Never once have I been like "Oh man am I glad I was able to flip a switch to mute the sound" but I have often been like "Man I am glad I stopped the screen from flipping out on me."

smokmnky on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was complaining about IM+s crappiness and at least a few people sympathized, so I figured I should mention imo.im. It came out a couple days ago and I like it far better than IM+.

The one issue I'm having is that it continuously complains about my iPad being low on memory, even after I closed everything but Safari (with 6+ windows) and Twitter. Note to iPad apps: if you're low on memory, deal with it.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    smokmnky wrote: »
    I really, really, really miss the hardware rotation lock and it was almost enough to not make me want to upgrade my iPad to 4.2(.1) but the lure of folders was to much and I took the hit.

I hate that if I forget to lock the rotation and I'm watching a video it pauses and then sometimes doesn't resume properly and I have to scrub all the way back to where I was. Never once have I been like "Oh man am I glad I was able to flip a switch to mute the sound" but I have often been like "Man I am glad I stopped the screen from flipping out on me."

I still really like this idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLw_IGShqk

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Software option for the switch needs to come. It should be a choice and there is simply NO reason for this to be any other way. Other than Apple being dicks.

Also: Fruit Ninja is awesome. I hope they keep adding or do a new version with new gameplay and unlockables.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are there any slightly more advanced video players out there for iPad? I want to watch a video but only listen to the second audio stream, I don't think this is possible in regular videos. As an added difficulty, I download the files using Goodreader, so it would have to be something that works with that.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ampix wrote: »
    Are there any slightly more advanced video players out there for iPad? I want to watch a video but only listen to the second audio stream, I don't think this is possible in regular videos. As an added difficulty, I download the files using Goodreader, so it would have to be something that works with that.

I don't know for certain if it works or not, but is VLC a iPad-native App? If so you may want to give that whirl and see what happens.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It is indeed.

admanb on
  • Options
    MutePrezMutePrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So is it just my mute switch that doesn't work most of the time or is it just mine?

MutePrez on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Infinity Blade is now available! One version works on both your iPad and iPhone.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've heard people complain about the mute switch before, basically it only mutes notifications? It mutes everything for me though so I dunno.

Also, the VLC app doesn't have any options for audio streams (or anything, for that matter). Plus, it really, really sucks, so I'm still in the market for something

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It only mutes notifications for me.

Which is a feature I actually like. But not as much as I did the rotation lock.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ampix wrote: »
    I've heard people complain about the mute switch before, basically it only mutes notifications? It mutes everything for me though so I dunno.

Also, the VLC app doesn't have any options for audio streams (or anything, for that matter). Plus, it really, really sucks, so I'm still in the market for something

I've noticed some apps (Air Video for one) seems to honor the mute switch on its own accord, since I'm still able to mute it using the switch even with a jailbroken iPad and NoMute installed to restore the orientation lock.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    NoMute doesn't actually disable the normal mute function of the switch. Some apps will still mute, and notifications will still mute.

It's dissapointing. I was hoping someone could return the original functionality of the rotation lock, and move the notification mute to where the new rotation lock is.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey iPad thread, I've been thinking of getting my mom one of these for Christmas.

But is it just me, or does this thing load webpages really really really slowly?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Seems to depend on the site. More or less it loads pages as fast as my PC. Definatly faster than my Android phone over 802.11g

stfuad on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Infinity Blade has been interesting, but I suck at parrying, and I must have skipped the 'here's how you parry' part of the beginning.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Hey iPad thread, I've been thinking of getting my mom one of these for Christmas.

But is it just me, or does this thing load webpages really really really slowly?

Slower than a PC, definitely.

Websites are tricky things. Rendering engines for HTML are no walk in the park on old devices.

I don't usually find it so slow that it's bad per se.

I think it's safe to assume that iPad 2 will be much better.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it loads pages fine?

i guess if you go to really big sites...

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    use tinyurls to open all your pages
    heyoooooo

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't find it to load pages that slow, except that it's very often a couple bars of wifi signal behind other devices in the same place. I do find that it scrolls (through 25 forum posts, for example) slow, but that's 'cause it doesn't have enough RAM to cache the entire page.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also posted this in the iPhone thread but there are also a ton of amazing iPad games coming out this week:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/12/15/aaah-look-at-all-these-games/

I think I should ask for iTunes gift cards for Christmas...

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also posted this in the iPhone thread but there are also a ton of amazing iPad games coming out this week:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/12/15/aaah-look-at-all-these-games/

I think I should ask for iTunes gift cards for Christmas...

Wow, that looks awesome.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, the engadget app rocks ass on the iPad.

It has all the bells and whistles of the native twitter app (scroll up to refresh, for instance), and is generally more polished an experience than reading the site on a desktop browser.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...