As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [iPad Thread] is coming soon to a Verizon Wireless retail store near you

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Just wanna say that the Korg iMS-20 app is amazing if it hasn't already been mentioned, The best soft synth on the iPad and supports USB connections for external MIDI devices via the camera connection kit.

Its only $15.99 or £9.49 until January 31st

Agreed. It's seriously awesome. Between iMS-20 and the Rebirth app, the iPad is becoming quite the mobile production tool.

Speaking of which, Damon Albarn promised he'd be releasing the new Gorillaz album (which was produced entirely on his iPad) on Christmas Day.

Have you tried bleepbox? I really dig it for some reason.

The interface just clicks with me... and they are making it a standalone/plugin on the computer now and you can transfer songs back and forth seemlessly apparently .

useless4 on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have a rather silly question. Do any of you guys have opinions on the merits of screen protectors? I had one that came free with my Targus case I got, but I managed to eff it up while installing and get dust or something all over the adhesive side, rendering it unusable. Considering that is seems like it's gonna be damn hard to get one installed right and I don't want to ruin another one, I'm thinking of going without... is the iPad screen especially fragile?

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I have a rather silly question. Do any of you guys have opinions on the merits of screen protectors? I had one that came free with my Targus case I got, but I managed to eff it up while installing and get dust or something all over the adhesive side, rendering it unusable. Considering that is seems like it's gonna be damn hard to get one installed right and I don't want to ruin another one, I'm thinking of going without... is the iPad screen especially fragile?

I've never used one on my iPhones or iPads (iPad owner from launch, iPhone owner for 2.5 years), until last month. I threw my iPad in my messenger bag, without a case or screen protector, in the same pouch as my Macbook's power cord. I must've put it down hard, or swung it around awkwardly at some point, because when I took it back out, I had a small 3/4" crack or scratch near the center of the screen.

I bought a Splash Masque screen protector a few days later to prevent that from happening again. It comes in a pack of three, and I have a few spots along the bezel where it isn't applied perfectly, but it looks great on the screen. It's definitely the easiest to apply out of all of the screen protectors I've attempted to use in the past. And unlike other iPhone screen protectors I've bought and then got rid of because I dislike the feel, these are kind of a stiff plastic that feels a lot like like the iPad glass.

I'm pretty happy with it, though I think I would've been fine if I followed my own rules with the iPad, and put it in a case before traveling with it.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I usually put a screen protector on everything but I didn't bother with the iPad. Mostly because I know how difficult they are to apply even on something as small as the iPhone and if I tried on the iPad I'd end up throwing it out the window, but I haven't noticed any scratches or anything and I've been using mine daily since launch. I'd recommend a case with a cover if you're putting it in a bag, though. I have the Apple case and I feel that's enough protection for the screen when I'm not using it.

elevature on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My impression always was that you can't really scratch a glass screen; you can only break it. The back of my 2008 iPod Touch looks like the saucepans in my kitchen, but the front has stayed pristine as the day I unboxed it (following a few seconds with a microfiber).

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've got a Dodocase that I'll throw it in if I've got other gear going into my bag, and a neoprene slip (leftover from netbook, fits iPad great) if I'm not using the Dodocase.

Haven't put on on iPhone (3GS and now a 4) haven't had any issues with the glass.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does anyone know what the best PDF reader app is?

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GoodReader.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    iBooks is pretty good for PDFs. I haven't tried GoodReader, but I've felt no need to switch from iBooks.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    elevature wrote: »
    iBooks is pretty good for PDFs. I haven't tried GoodReader, but I've felt no need to switch from iBooks.

how do you add pdf files to iBooks?

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

you might be able to do it through iTunes, but I put them in my Dropbox and then in the Dropbox iPad app there's an "open in" button that will let you choose iBooks, and it'll then save the PDF to your iBooks library. It's a little janky but it means I don't have to sync my iPad to put the PDF on. I think you can do the same if you find a link to a PDF somewhere, tap it and it should give you an "open in" dialog.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

you might be able to do it through iTunes, but I put them in my Dropbox and then in the Dropbox iPad app there's an "open in" button that will let you choose iBooks, and it'll then save the PDF to your iBooks library. It's a little janky but it means I don't have to sync my iPad to put the PDF on. I think you can do the same if you find a link to a PDF somewhere, tap it and it should give you an "open in" dialog.

cheers :)

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I use GoodReader for its connectivity, so iBooks is probably great but I wouldn't know. :p

admanb on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I prefer iBooks + Dropbox to GoodReader for reading PDFs, but GoodReader does have all sorts of annotation tools that iBooks doesn't, if you're into that sort of thing. There might be a better specialty annotation-focused PDF reader, though.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Correct, you can add PDFs to iBooks through iTunes.

I also have Stanza on my iPad to read PDFs.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey, me and my girlfriend are moving into a rather small house come march/april and I had an iPad for christmas. Basically, I'm wondering how many things I can control from my iPad like some demented scientist. I don't want a full smarthouse experience, but I'd be interested to see some things outside of the standard remote app.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

zen- on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    My impression always was that you can't really scratch a glass screen; you can only break it. The back of my 2008 iPod Touch looks like the saucepans in my kitchen, but the front has stayed pristine as the day I unboxed it (following a few seconds with a microfiber).

Eh not sure about that. I dropped my iPhone on our kitchen tiles and it skidded across them, leaving the screen quite scratched but unbroken.

Something to consider about screen protectors is they change the feel of using the screen. I find the glass a bit too squeaky and prefer the feel of a gloss or matt screen protector on my iPhone. That said I'm going to reserve judgement until I've used my iPad for a bit as, as others I've pointed out, applying screen protectors is a pita.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I wouldn't call the glass screen on the iPhone 4 scratch-proof. Mine's a little bit buggered after taking a spill onto bare concrete, now I'm using an awful screen protector on it.

With the iPad though, I don't think I'll be taking it out into the wide world naked. Or at least not often enough to risk dropping it anywhere.

zen- on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    zen- wrote: »
    Hey, me and my girlfriend are moving into a rather small house come march/april and I had an iPad for christmas. Basically, I'm wondering how many things I can control from my iPad like some demented scientist. I don't want a full smarthouse experience, but I'd be interested to see some things outside of the standard remote app.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What sort of things are you looking to control? There are lots of guides out for home automation with an iOS device, like this one. Even if you don't want the whole smart house thing, you can probably pick out bits and pieces that seem interesting.

Do you have a Mac? Screens is an awesome VNC app to control your Mac from your iPad, I use it when I am too lazy to get up and move to the computer and it feels like I'm living in the future. There are other VNC apps too, but this one is really pretty and easy to set up and use.

edit: most of those home control things require other hardware, though. I'm not sure what you can do with only an iPad outside of controlling your computer or maybe stereo/DVR.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm fine with buying plug extensions and other small bits of hardware, as long as they're within budget. I don't have a mac... but I'm planning to buy an iMac should there be enough cash left over after sofas and carpets etc have been done.

zen- on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Screens doesn't require a Mac, you know. It's just a VNC client.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Screens doesn't require a Mac, you know. It's just a VNC client.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted but forgot to edit.

elevature on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The best "Vnc" iphone client for Mac (remotetap) doesn't have an ipad specific version yet. I hope they make one because if you have a mac and are willing to install the computer-side client it's pretty awesome.

useless4 on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heres another iPad doodle made using brushes.

1939a5b5.png

Space.. Ball?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I should clarify that it's really a 3 to 4 app process to draw and post from the iPad directly.

Brushes to draw, sometimes the Photoshop app to rotate, the Photobucket app (still VERY BUGGY) to upload, and the iPhone facebook app if I want to upload to my fb page. I've resorted to using my fb upload email address to post work to my artist page since I can't find away to do it otherwise.

Could be easier. ;)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I should clarify that it's really a 3 to 4 app process to draw and post from the iPad directly.

Brushes to draw, sometimes the Photoshop app to rotate, the Photobucket app (still VERY BUGGY) to upload, and the iPhone facebook app if I want to upload to my fb page. I've resorted to using my fb upload email address to post work to my artist page since I can't find away to do it otherwise.

Could be easier. ;)

The Facebook app (for iPhone) lets you upload pictures from your photo library. Too bad they don't make a version for iPad so you'd be using it in 2x mode.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So if I wanted a Microsoft Office-esque suite for my iPad, what's the best way to go? QuickOffice, iWork, or DocsToGo?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2011
    So if I wanted a Microsoft Office-esque suite for my iPad, what's the best way to go? QuickOffice, iWork, or DocsToGo?

iWork is by far the most capable of all of them when it comes to features, ease of use, etc.

I have made some kickass presentations, proposals, etc. from those apps.

Numbers in particular is a fantastic way to build slick data entry apps with dynamic report pages.

All of the iWork support export to office file formats, do so adequately AT BEST, and all of them export very slick, reasonably sized PDFs, which is IMO a much better way to do things.

They can also post your work to iWork.com, which is a great way to share your content.

The only problem with the iWork suite is that cross-compatibility with the office suite is somewhat lacking. You can open excel, word and PPT files, sure... but there is little promise they will look exactly the same.

Meanwhile, the other apps you listed are much better with getting into and out of Office apps and making changes to them without breaking the files, but they suffer in the usability department.

So unless you ABSOLUTELY need to be compatible with Microsoft Office in every single way, I would recommend the iWork apps.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Talking of interoperability; how well does the iWork suite treat .od* format XML docs like the ones produced by Open/LibreOffice?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Talking of interoperability; how well does the iWork suite treat .od* format XML docs like the ones produced by Open/LibreOffice?

It doesn't.

To be fair though, I don't think ANY of them do.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    iWork is best, but not sure how the others stack up in terms of proper Office doc support.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Developer beta of iOS 4.3 is out.

Orientation lock/mute switch is now an optional setting.

Some new potential four-finger gestures for multitasking.

Neato.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/01/breaking-apple-releases-ios-43-beta-developers/?utm_campaign=Alexander&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

cDS0B.png

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    for as much nerd rage as there was in this here thread re: the orientation lock I would have figured people would be cheering and drinking champagne and everything

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's cool.

The 4 finger and 5 finger stuff is much cooler though.

5 fingers moving toward each other closes the app. Like, spread you hand out, then touch the screen and draw all to a point.

Four fingers up reveals the multitasking panel.

Four fingers left or right switches between active apps.

This is SO much faster when you have a couple of apps you are working between. Good move.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man I love me some new gestures. Especially ones that make multi-tasking quicker.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    syndalis wrote: »
    It's cool.

The 4 finger and 5 finger stuff is much cooler though.

5 fingers moving toward each other closes the app. Like, spread you hand out, then touch the screen and draw all to a point.

Four fingers up reveals the multitasking panel.

Four fingers left or right switches between active apps.

This is SO much faster when you have a couple of apps you are working between. Good move.

Oh, definitely.

The closing motion is great, just like grabbing and crumpling up a piece of paper.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The gestures are fantastic. It makes me all the more excited for Lion - I've fallen in love with using gestures on my Magic Trackpad, but it'll be nice to have a solid collection of Apple-supported ones instead of having to define all sorts of janky custom gestures with BetterTouchTool.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    when 4.3 hits i'll upgrade and remove my jailbreak

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    4.3 sounds amazing. Gestures, AirPlay for 3rd party apps, and the rotation lock? I am super excited for it already.

elevature on