Options

Ace Attorney: 20 Years of Finger Pointing

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    This DLC case is sooooooooooooo fuuuuuuun!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It does feel rather awkward to do it after completing case 5.
    Fullbright...

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    DLC, kind of big spoiler
    OH GOD MARLON RIMES

e: still big spoilers
    yessssss it's time to cross-examine the orca

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    1453249_532397336874993_1979889400_n.png

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I finished Case 4 earlier
    That was really sudden. Like, I thought there'd be more to it than that. I'm also mighty suspicious of that lighter being real evidence. Either someone planted it (Blackquill's "phantom" maybe) or Fulbright faked it? I have no idea. I'm kinda leaning towards Fulbright faking the evidence though.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Case 4 is almost exactly like the 4th case from Trials and Tribulations. It's an appetizer.

• Options
    It would make sense to end it there, if these games held any sense of logic relating to the absurd justice system they have. Starbuck was proved innocent, but you always end up having to prove who the culprit was for some reason.

The intro cutscene to Case 5 is fucking brutal though.

• Options
    Well even if it did end up there it's not like
    Case Five wouldn't have happened anyways.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Well... It kinda does end there.
    come the next day, Starbuck is walkin free, and his case isn't re-opened after Athena's

• Options
    So man that DLC case is awesome. I honestly think it's my favourite case in all of AA5. Felt really classic. Although it was a little easy for my tastes...

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So many fish puns

Well, a new day, time to get back to day 2 of the new case!

Carp-e diem!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wasn't really all that impressed by the last case?
    I mean, it certainly has its moments, and the whole seven-years-ago segment is solid, but on the whole I didn't think it stood up to previous finales. (Except maybe Apollo Justice's finale, which I can barely even remember.) The Phantom reveal was kind of neat in a shock value sort of way, but it doesn't really amount to anything. That whole final segment largely fell flat to me, because everything that anybody cared about had already been resolved by then.

What would have REALLY happened if the Phantom had walked on some technicality? The Blackquill siblings would be pretty mad and...that's about it. Athena's already acquitted, Simon's conviction is already overturned, everybody knows who killed who. I guess it wouldn't be ideal for Edgeworth's whole "make everyone confident in the justice system again" plan, but since the only reason we know that the Dark Age of the Law even exists is that nobody shuts up about it, I wasn't terribly invested in that either. All of the big narrative and emotional payoffs happen in the seven-years-ago case and then you just putter around tying up a handful of minor loose ends where the actual climax was supposed to be.

My favorite was C-a-s-e 3, but what weakened 5 for me was
    not seeing the final criminal break down. It had moments, but it was more fridge stuff since you learned the real Fulbright was already dead. There wasn't any real SHOCK there apart from the initial mask pull.

His :| face was pretty great though.

Also, I'm glad they subverted my suspicions of Aura. And really glad my crazy suspicion was wrong.

That it was Juniper all along. Imagine the salt.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Just reiterating what other people have said and that Pearls is still awesome and her animations are great.

Makes me really eager to see Maya. I assume they will include Maya at SOME POINT in a future game.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Finished the DLC case today
    For once, it wasn't murder!

It was super, super easy. Probably easier than the first case. There was one time where I got tripped up on how exactly to present what I knew needed to be presented, and it turned out I just needed to do something else before I presented that thing that was a clear contradiction. Other than that the game basically tells you what the contradiction to look for is. It's a little frustrating, but the case overall was solid, it was well-written, the twists and reveals were appropriately surprising, and I enjoyed the time I spent with it.

One thing that bothered me at first:
    I suspected Rimes from the start, and when he did his transformation into scary black guy I was super leery. Fortunately he arguably turned out to be a good guy in the end, but Jesus the rapping, the caricature, everything just sort of made me feel really awkward up until that point. Glad they subverted that expectation instead of playing into it.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Just finished Case 5
    Ok so I HALF guessed the twist here. I thought Fulbright was going to be the spy (I already suspected him after C4 because of the lighter) but I didn't expect him to be a crazy mask imposter man.

Originally I thought that the lighter was forged by either Fulbright OR the phantom, then partway through the 7-year old case I realised they could be the same person.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I've beaten Ghost Trick but none of these games.

I'm on Case 4 of the first game now, and....
    20131124_192919000_iOS.jpg

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    DLC case is pretty aces.

I've posted how Dual Destinies was too easy but I thought the DLC case was a bit better difficulty wise. Granted I did the whole thing on like 4 hours of sleep so maybe I was just worse. Loved it though! Superb little episode.

Sounds like future prospects for additional DLC is either far far away or not coming though. Man! This was an enjoyable escapade.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I dunno. Almost every time you have to present evidence the game goes, "Now's the time to present that piece of evidence. You know, the one that shows exactly how this clock got smashed."

And then you open up your evidence and find the hammer with the description, "May have smashed a clock at some point."

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Just bought the DLC, yay!

About how long is this episode? Hopefully I can finish it before 3D World comes out on Friday.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Case 5 long.

• Options
    http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=219605
    The following info comes from a 4GAMER interview with various Capcom devs...

- Kazunori Sugiura says games will be announced in 2014 that will “surprise the readers a lot.”
    - expect more fighting genre support from Capcom
    - Kenji Kataoka (Dungeons and Dragons) mentioned that another classic from Capcom’s history will be revived by the end of 2014
    - an announcement will be made when it gets a bit warmer
    - Shu Takumi (Phoenix Wright) said that his new title will be announced next year
    - Takeshi Yamazaki (Phoenix Wright) mentioned that his team is now working full force on the next title

• Options
    Ace Musician Meanderings: Klavier Gavin

It'll be a rhythm game featuring The Guitar's Serenade

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=219605
    The following info comes from a 4GAMER interview with various Capcom devs...

- Kazunori Sugiura says games will be announced in 2014 that will “surprise the readers a lot.”
    - expect more fighting genre support from Capcom
    - Kenji Kataoka (Dungeons and Dragons) mentioned that another classic from Capcom’s history will be revived by the end of 2014
    - an announcement will be made when it gets a bit warmer
    - Shu Takumi (Phoenix Wright) said that his new title will be announced next year
    - Takeshi Yamazaki (Phoenix Wright) mentioned that his team is now working full force on the next title

Not a surprise. Let's just pray that Dual Destinies did well enough that we don't have to worry about a western release.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Finished Ace Attorney 5

Probably put it above 2 but lower than everything else including Investigations 1.
    First case was pretty bad mostly like all the other first cases but Juniper is okay I guess.

I had to actively try to remember what the second case was for like 30 seconds.

Case 3 is probably average, but the entire dark age of the law thing never really added much to anything for me.  Hugh O'Conner is dumb and everything about him is dumb.

Case 4 just ends up as Case 5 setup.

Case 5 is good mostly but Fulbright is a garbage final villain. They killed Ema for this nonsense : (  The reveal isn't really impactful and the process of bringing him down is so underwhelming.  The final 2 cases of AA1 and the last case of AA3 were all much more satisfying in that regard especially, but also as overall experiences.

Pearl and Edgeworth cameos are nice, but I'd probably go with underwhelming on those too.   Edgeworth vs Phoenix in court should be a big thing probably but doesn't feel like it has either the proper buildup or punch.  (I played and liked Investigations so it's not like I've been missing him so much that just seeing him again is some big breakthrough)

The Blackquill/Athena payoff at the end was good but I'm not sure it entirely warranted the overuse of Blackquill when I thought he had the least entertaining courtroom demeanor of all the main prosecutors in the series.

Investigation indicator is much appreciated.
    The overabundance of proofreading failures really annoys me.
    I don't think a single one of the cutscenes added anything to the experience.

In conclusion I give this game 3 objections out of 5 : (

Oh okay one last thought.
    So case 5 manages more tension and whatever than I remember anything in AA4 doing, but I am not sure it quite reaches a high enough point that I necessarily prefer the game overall to the silly adventures with Ema, Trucy, Gavin, and Jerkface Wright.

• Options
    Some more details on the development of the next Ace Attorney game.
    Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies came out just a couple months ago, and it looks like Capcom are already getting ready for the next installment in the series. 4Gamer recently spoke with a bunch of Japanese game developers on what to expect next year, and two key Capcom developers had a few words to share on the future of the series.

“This year, we were able to deliver Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies to you all, and it brings me a great sigh of relief,” says director Takeshi Yamazaki. “Today, we’re working at full force on the next title. We’ve only just begun, but we’re currently thinking about all kinds of interesting ideas, so please look forward to it! Have a happy new year, you guys!”

Meanwhile, Shu Takumi is known as the original creator of the Ace Attorney series, but the last time he worked on the franchise was for Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It looks like we’ll be hearing more from him next year, as he reveals that he’s currently working on a new title (not necessarily Ace Attorney-related).

“This year, I’ve poured all my energy in the preparation, writing, and production of a brand new project,” says Takumi.

“Even today, it’s an ongoing process and I’m almost at the limits of my mental capacity. This time of year, I keep to myself, and I don’t get to see much of the outside world, but honestly, I can’t say I’ve seen much else aside from work for the most part…”

“Anyway, next year [the game] will be taking the shape of a title, and we’ll be announcing it, so when the time comes, thank you for your support!”

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I finished the game the other night (including DLC case) and I loved it the entire time. Just a few thoughts:
    Athena is my least favorite of the sidekicks even though she's pretty likable. Having Trucy around was a big tease because I'd like more of her - she's so adorable.

The anime cutscenes are great. I want a show right the hell now.

I don't mind that the game is considerably easier. I play these games for the plot and characters, not to get stumped trying to figure out the game's crazy logic. They really nailed the difficulty as far as I'm concerned.

The DLC case was fantastic and I want more DLC but I get the feeling that's not in the cards. I keep watching that opening cutscene over and over.... I love that song for some reason. Sasha is the greatest. It really should have had an ending cutscene where we see the new show with the two orcas and Redstache. Phoenix's orca make-out session was cute though.

I laugh every time Apollo complains about having to clean toilets. That's right, unwanted Phoenix clone, that's where you belong.

My favorite minor character was Aura Blackquill. I love her, she's like Juri Han with robots instead of kicking. Her super creepy music is fantastic.

As much as I want to see Maya again, I'm glad they only teased her. It'll make her eventual return even better.

I swooned when Edgeworth showed up. He's so dreamy.

Myriam Scuttlebutt! Schoolgirl Solid Snake! I love it!

So I give it five cardboard boxes out of five.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...this "Show you the murderer before the trial" thing doesn't last through all the cases does it?

• Options
    Nah, the second case is the last time it happens.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Also as far as Maya goes
    I liked that they only make allusions to her training to be the next leader of her clan.

It has me hopeful that when she does come back its going to be an awesome and kickass re-entrance.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    When Maya does come back she'll be older. So that means she's likely to have Mia's figure. Combine that with her personality and appetite for hamburgers, she'll be a force to be reckoned with. :)

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    The next game will actually be a personal budget calculator / simulation where you play as Gumshoe.

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    The next game will actually be a personal budget calculator / simulation where you play as Gumshoe.

You tease, I've wanted to see Detective Gumshoe again for the Longest Time.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    When Maya does come back she'll be older. So that means she's likely to have Mia's figure. Combine that with her personality and appetite for hamburgers, she'll be a force to be reckoned with. :)

I think at this point she's as old as Mia was in the first game

Jintor on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Boy do they ever run the magic panties gag into the crust of the Earth, so deep down it can never be extricated or redeemed by the hands of mortal man.

That joke is fucking dead.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Boy do they ever run the magic panties gag into the crust of the Earth, so deep down it can never be extricated or redeemed by the hands of mortal man.

Magic_Panties_Apollo_Avatar_by_Un_Mask_Demasque.gif

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    comic334.png
    Dual Destinies was fun, but those last two panels happen all the time.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    To nobody's surprise, I hit Turnabout Big Top and lost all interest in Justice for All.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Well this is interesting. The first 3 Ace Attorney games are getting re=released on 3DS in Japan.
    - 3,990 yen
    - 3D effect will be present
    - English-language option will be present
    - boxart will be drawn by Tatsurou Iwamoto
    - new drama CD will be recorded and released at the same time
    - this will be starring Phoenix and Edgeworth
    - Godot will play a role as well, marking his first time in an Ace Attorney audio production
    - Pre-orders will receive a code to download original artwork and arranged versions of the series' BGM
    - limited edition is also being made
    - hits Japan on 4/17

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Pearls didn't change too much, I'm hoping the same would be true of Maya.
    skeldare wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Magic_Panties_Apollo_Avatar_by_Un_Mask_Demasque.gif

And this point it would be funnier to poke fun at itself for how dead it is.

"Hey, Polly! You look sad ... Do you want to see me pull something out of my magic pan-"
    "No."
    "*shock!* ... *angry*"
    *pain sound*
    Sh.. she hit me!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Still very sloooooowly getting through this. Just got to the end of the first day of investigation in case 5, and man. Wasn't expecting things to get THAT crazypants.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293