As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Attorney: 20 Years of Finger Pointing

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Moioink wrote: »
    Did anyone think the twist to AJ would be that Trudi was Pearls? She has some of her animations and one of Maya's and their ages seem to line up given the time skip. I wonder if Nick was just shoehorned in late on in development because they didn't have enough confidence in the new cast. I know people can change a lot in 7 years but it just felt jarring the way his personality was so different and that Maya and Pearls are nowhere. I would have thought he'd have more smarts than to present that evidence and enough contacts to get him off the hook too. I enjoyed it as a game I guess but as a continuation of the AA I don't think I like it.

Yes, essentially. I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually supposed to be directly related to Phoenix until fairly late in development.

Jintor on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am pretty sure they added Phoenix late in development. But really, if Phoenix and Ema had been written exactly the same, only with different names, they would still have been bad characters, they just wouldn't have been bad characters that also managed to shit all over the previous games.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any ideas if the iphone is getting any more of these beyond the first? Officially addicted now, and I doubt the 99 cent ripoff "Beauty Lawyer Victoria" is going to sate me.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't believe this franchise is already 10 years old.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, we didn't really get it until what, five years ago?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think the way the characters are in AJ is shitting on anything, really

If anything I liked them more

The problem was how they were integrated into the story

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, if the first game came out in 2001, shouldn't it be only 9 years old?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    They're prepping for next year's anniversary I think

Jintor on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Most of the characters in AJ were fine for me

other than Apollo and Klavier

who are

you know

the two most important characters

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Apollo was the only character I even halfway cared about at all.

It's too bad he wasn't actually allowed to do anything. Everyone else always telling him what to press and/or present, until he had to use his magic bracelet which, as I previously stated, I found to be the worst thing ever.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah my main problem was that he never really got a chance to grow his own personality.

He felt like he was a secondary character in his own story

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah my main problem was that he never really got a chance to grow his own personality.

He felt like he was a secondary character in his own story

This is why I want a sequel, so that they can rectify this.

I still like AJ, in spite of its faults (the logic in case 3, grrrr). I remember JFA being pretty bad for its adventure game logic but I'd have to play it again to remember all the parts that annoyed me. It did have a fantastic finale, though.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hope we get to play as Franziska for at least part of one case in the new Investigations game.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, that was the best in AA3 Case 4. The Edgeworth/Fransiska thing.

I love how everybody was just so much more helpful to Edgeworth than they ever were to Phoenix

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The best thing about that wonderful section was "Psycho Locks"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The best thing about that wonderful section was "Psycho Locks"

Edgeworth: "Larry, tell me the truth. What were you doing last night?"

Larry: "Um..." *5 psycho locks appear*

Edgeworth: "Oh screw this. I'll just see you in court."

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I really hope Godot comes back sometime

maybe as a witness to a murder that happened in prison or something

alternatively I would hell of play Diego Armando: Ace Attorney

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And I want a prosecutor who isn't always so cool and collected when I shove the evidence down his throat!

:winky:

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why the hell haven't we had a prosecutor with a monocle yet? I mean, COME ON, Capcom.

My idea for the ???X??? game is now:

JUDGE X CANADIAN JUDGE.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really hope Godot comes back sometime

maybe as a witness to a murder that happened in prison or something

alternatively I would hell of play Diego Armando: Ace Attorney

I dunno. He's not Godot anymore, his identity as Diego is only relevant to the Fey storyline which is over, and I'm pretty sure they imply he's dead at the end of the game.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    what when do they do that

he had a gash on his face but I thought he was just serving life in prison

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    also my first exposure to Godot was just random sprites people had ripped

seeing him have coffee slid down the prosecution table to his hand and his weird headgear, I assumed his gimmick was that he drank so much coffee that it had accelerated his brain to the point where he had telekinetic power

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Honestly, I kind of hope we never see Godot again. I never really got the love for him.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Which characters do you like from AA anyway?

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If you don't get the appeal of a smooth-talking classy motherfucker

I don't know what can be done

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    what when do they do that

he had a gash on his face but I thought he was just serving life in prison

During the credits they show him standing with the other two dead characters

So

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'll take your word for it but I don't remember that at all

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    In no specific order Phoenix, Maya, Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Franziska, Mia, Pearl, Kay, Lang, young Ema, Maggey's...okay, I guess, the Judge, Oldbag. Probably lots of other one-off ones I am unable to remember at this point.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »

In no particuliar order from those I like the most: Godot, Mia Fey, Ema Skye (both versions), the Judge, Manfred von Karma and Damon Gant. Especially Damon Gant.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gant. :(

I THOUGHT WE WERE BROS.

WE WERE GOING SWIMMING YOU DICK.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll take your word for it but I don't remember that at all

Right at the end at 6:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NIzYWFhziI&feature=related

I just took it that his 'Godot' personality was dead. It's up for interpretation, though.

Also, looking over that last T&T case, so, so good. I love how Phoenix is just like 'Are you trying to scare me?' when faced with an unlimited penalty.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think they imply at some point...
    ...that anyone found guilty of murder in this justice system is executed (ie. Dahlia and I think Franziska says Manfred von Karma is dead as well).

Lars on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah but at the very least they spend a while on death row

Wasn't Dahlia executed only a few months before Case 5?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Apollo was the only character I even halfway cared about at all.

I cannot fathom this. What did he ever do or say that was worth caring about at all? Is it the hair? He just felt so incredibly generic the whole time.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Maybe that was why.

He didn't outright suck, so I was tricked into thinking he was decent.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Am I correct in assuming the chronological order of the games as a whole (barring certain "flashback" cases) goes PW 1, PW 2, Edgeworth, PW 3, and then Apollo? I can't really remember when Manfred gets his shit handed to him, and it seems like he ain't put away in Investigations. I recall there being a Phoenix, Maya and Pearl cameo of sorts in Investigations, But I'm not really sure how it all hangs together.

Anyway, playing as Edgeworth is the most satisfying thing imaginable. The truth is my bitch and I WILL reveal it to the world.

Also I still haven't finished PW 3 because fuck that game

Senshi on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming the chronological order of the games as a whole (barring certain "flashback" cases) goes PW 1, PW 2, Edgeworth, PW 3, and then Apollo? I can't really remember when Manfred gets his shit handed to him, and it seems like he ain't put away in Investigations. I recall there being a Phoenix, Maya and Pearl cameo of sorts in Investigations, But I'm not really sure how it all hangs together.

Anyway, playing as Edgeworth is the most satisfying thing imaginable. The truth is my bitch and I WILL reveal it to the world.

Also I still haven't finished PW 3 because fuck that game

Manfred in Investigations is a flashback.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Barring flashbacks, it's PW1, 2, 3, AAI, AJ.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes, I know that, but his predicament is never really alluded to and somehow Franziska seems a little too chummy. Doesn't seem like her father is either dead or in prison, and I think she mentions his flawless 40-year win streak at some point. Maybe nobody told her he killed a man or whatever.

Senshi on