As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Attorney: 20 Years of Finger Pointing

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Trucy also confirmed. :+1: Still waiting on the return of Mr. Hat...

This time, please, please, PLEASE keep all the psyche profiling and emotion bracelet-ing and magatama-ing in the investigation sections. The only thing that belongs in a courtroom is evidence. [/Edgeworth]

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I'd have been okay with all of the emotional analysis stuff if the game had let you do it on the whale. Without that payoff, it was dumb.

jothki on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That stuff clearly belongs in the courtroom because there is obvious precedent for it. Bracelet and psychology shenanigans are almost exclusively courtroom shenanigans. Edgeworth is almost out of his own genre, and is arbitrarily skeptical. He exists in a universe with magic. Doubting it actually exists puts him firmly in the same character realm as Scully from the X Files.

Don't get me wrong, I love Edgeworth to bits but after you watch a literal spirit get summoned in a court of law, your skepticism makes you the irrational one.

Anyways, even if I didn't think it belonged in the courtroom in an in-world sense, I get why it's there for meta reasons; if all you ever did was press and present, the game would get stale. You gotta have more gimmicks than that.

My problem with them has never been that they were implemented; it's if they are implemented well that I care about.

• Options
    I actually liked Professor Layton versus Phoenix Wright because it did the exact opposite, taking blatant magic and breaking it down into straightforward evidence anyway.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Layton vs. Wright is maybe the worst entry in the series, except maybe Apollo Justice

And I say that as someone who liked both those games

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    The emotional stuff is fine. Good even.
    Like previously stated, it helps keep the gameplay fresh.

Also y'know, it actually makes it closer to a real court, since emotions are way important to pay attention to during a trial.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I actually liked Professor Layton versus Phoenix Wright because it did the exact opposite, taking blatant magic and breaking it down into straightforward evidence anyway.

Which is the proper reaction to magic in a court of law. If magic is assumed to be possible, the correct questions are "how is this magic performed" and "what relevance and implications does this information have for our case", and not "BURN THE WITCH".

(Of course, Layton didn't believe in magic for a second, but Layton's series makes Scooby Doo look perfectly logical in the false supernaturalism, so guy is kinda used to it)

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I liked the fact that they directly addressed the issue that stuff like "logic" and "reason" don't matter for jack squat and you have to work around it. And it did manage to work pretty well.

It seemed like a great test run for the Meji/Victorian age AA game. What the heck ever happened to that one anyways?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I liked the fact that they directly addressed the issue that stuff like "logic" and "reason" don't matter for jack squat and you have to work around it. And it did manage to work pretty well.

It seemed like a great test run for the Meji/Victorian age AA game. What the heck ever happened to that one anyways?

It's not getting localized, unfortunately.

But yeah, Layton vs. Wright was great.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    I'll admit that Layton vs Wright had a terrible ending, but that can't wipe out the fun I had up to that point. Also I like the courtoom shenanigans. I'm playing Edgeworth Investigations right now, which has no gimmicks at all and something is clearly missing...

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Edgeworth 2 has Logic Chess, which at least sounds like a pretty good gimmick. And again, Ace Attorney Thread, I still haven't gotten back to this series, or DS adventure games in general. I just gotta set aside some time for these games and put action stuff on the shelf for a while.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    carmofin wrote: »
    I'll admit that Layton vs Wright had a terrible ending, but that can't wipe out the fun I had up to that point. Also I like the courtoom shenanigans. I'm playing Edgeworth Investigations right now, which has no gimmicks at all and something is clearly missing...

Well, it's in the perfect spirit of "what's actually happening is only slightly less ludicrous than what you thought was happening" the Layton series excels in.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    GSM wrote: »
    Edgeworth 2 has Logic Chess, which at least sounds like a pretty good gimmick. And again, Ace Attorney Thread, I still haven't gotten back to this series, or DS adventure games in general. I just gotta set aside some time for these games and put action stuff on the shelf for a while.

Edgeworth 2 is one of the now two games that we'll probably never get. Although an Apollo + Edgeworth bulk release would be awesome.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Edgeworth 2 is one of the now two games that we'll probably never get. Although an Apollo + Edgeworth bulk release would be awesome.

The fan translation is great. If we ever get an official English version I'm buying it, but in the meantime it's an amazing game and it deserves to be played, as long as you know how to apply the patch to a legitimate Japanese copy of the game.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016

Which is the other?

I ended up watching a translated YouTube playthrough of AAI2, which is as close as I'll actually get to playing it. The game seems excellent. It'd be one of my favorites in the series.

EDIT: Oh right, Great Ace Attorney. Was confusing that with AA6. Now I'm sad.

Arteen on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Logic chess is basically navigating a dialogue tree on a timer. I could go into more detail, but that's basically the jist of it.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    carmofin wrote: »

Well, it's in the perfect spirit of "what's actually happening is only slightly less ludicrous than what you thought was happening" the Layton series excels in.

"Only slightly less"? Try "more".

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
  • Options
    Just finished AAI2 case 2, which had a few red herrings (like the sweet scent and the pile of apples.. unrelated!) and a moment where I thought it was going to double back to an earlier suspect, but nope. The guilty party is whoever you haven't seen do a meltdown animation yet...

Still pretty fun so far, though the logic chess has been a little disappointing. It totally is a dialog tree on a timer, but it's kind of like an Active Time Battle system in wait mode? So you're only losing time during decision making, but reading text doesn't count against it. But the problem is that other than Edgeworth's initial hint on which branch to take initially, there's no real logic involved in which branch to continue on from there, because one of the branches will contain a clue, and the other will need the clue, so you're just blindly trying routes until it opens up. And every time you need to use a clue they tell you to use the clue, like the worst here's-the-answer moments in AA5. It gives you a small suggestion on when you should wait, or how aggressive you should be (which amounts to not picking wait) but it's not as complex as I was hoping.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    homogenized on
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Old Maya has a real babyface.

But I guess Young Maya did too...

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fucking finally

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Just finished the fourth case of AAI2 and it was really... really something. It starts with tragedy, and ends with actual character development for Franziska, of all people. I mean, she's still a crazy person who whips people when she's angry, but she has some lines that show she's actually grown as a person. Same case also has what is probably my current favorite song from the series, if only for the secret that it's actually a song you've heard earlier, but with a completely different tone.

Still excited for AA6, but I've got two more DS adventures to play after this.

GSM on
  • Options
    AAI2 is secretly one of the top 3 games of this series

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Also, they announced rgat AA6 is coming out in Japan on June 9th. Hopefully, it'll make it stateside in the fall.

Zython on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm playing Layton Vs Ace Attorney again. And wow, I still can't believe this one came out before Dual Destinies.

• Options
    Ace Attorney anime trailer

https://youtu.be/tACXREkraIg

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Final case of AAI2 is living up to the title "The Grand Turnabout". Currently in a scene with 11 different named characters in conversation at once, my organizer has evidence from multiple cases, and the profiles tab is three screens long already. And this is just "Part 1"

• Options
    Final case of AAI2 is living up to the title "The Grand Turnabout". Currently in a scene with 11 different named characters in conversation at once, my organizer has evidence from multiple cases, and the profiles tab is three screens long already. And this is just "Part 1"

Oh, you're about to get to the best part.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Ace Attorney anime trailer

https://youtu.be/tACXREkraIg

I couldn't help it: When Phoenix is going past the Cherry Trees I thought "Ah, the famous cherry blossoms of North Los Angeles."

• Options
    And over there, a traditional Hollywood Shinto shrine.

• Options
    Think we'll see a cameo from Eldoon's burger stand?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Eat your hamburgers Apollo

• Options
    Finished AAI2. Picked out the mastermind behind everything, despite not recognizing the obvious clue the game gave me.
    Just picked based on character age relative to the other guy
    Total shot in the dark, but turned out to be right. I liked the sentiment of the whole thing, but the game's adherence to "never talk about the ending reveals from previous games EVER, so they can be played in any order" gets a little weird. Like, they can't even say the name PHOENIX WRIGHT, because they don't want the sixth game (and second spin-off) in the series to spoil anything about character development in the very first game?

I've played so many games in this series now that it's like seeing the code of the matrix on these puzzles. #1 rule of Ace Attorney games: if you ever encounter two of something, they will be swapped or mistaken for each other at some point.

• Options
    Rule 1.5: even if you haven't seen two of something, there's probably something it can be swapped with anyway.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Rule 2: any initial assumptions about the contents of any enclosure or container are always wrong.

GSM on
  • Options
    Rule 2: any initial assumptions about the contents of any enclosure or container are always wrong.

Unless the defense builds their entire case on the assumption being wrong.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I'm making my way through the second case in AAI2 and it _still_ frustrates me just how long it takes to get things done, just in terms of pure time-spent-watching-text-go-by. I know that's the point, this isn't an action game or anything, but from time to time I wish there was a speed-up-text button that worked the first time around, rather than only when you're re-reading the "no, you dummy, that is the wrong evidence" text.

• Options
    It seems that sometimes you can press the advance text button again to skip the write-on animation for first-time text. It's really inconsistent though. And you end up missing the text-acting where they speed up or slow down certain words for emphasis. I don't remember AAI1 having Badd speak so slowly, but it really does sell his character. You just immediately know what kind of voice actor they imagined for him.

On the other hand, yeah, this is the most VN Ace Attorney game I can remember. There is a LOT of text. Did the localization teams do some editing on the previous games to tighten up the pacing?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Rule 3: the prosecution is not COMPLETELY stupid. Even when you point out the obvious first contradiction, they can often twist things into a plausible scenario anyway. So at least one of your evidence pieces is enough to support two ideas, try to figure out which one.

• Options
    What annoys me is the times where you could have won simply by asking the prosecution to restate how the defendant could possibly have managed to commit the crime given the current evidence.