Options

PAX East 2011 Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• Options
    rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    naekko wrote: »
    westin and renaissance both show no rooms available tonight.
    Completely full that fast?

I think they were filled within the first week of availability =P

Some of them didn't make it to the end of the first day! Seaport twin rooms for the Wednesday night for example (I remember this because I got one of the last few).

rnicoll on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm staying at The Renissance (sorry if that's a typo) and I really need to know, is there any sort of public transit that will get me there efficiently? or will I need a taxi? or is it close/safe enough to run?

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It is literally two blocks away.

antherem on
  • Options
    fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I need to change my vote. lol I booked at the Renaissance months ago, but now that my knee is completely down for the count, I cancelled due to the walk (even though small). Hubs & I are now staying at the Westin.

fullofgrace on
    I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
  • Options
    SpiritmasterSpiritmaster Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I need to change my vote. lol I booked at the Renaissance months ago, but now that my knee is completely down for the count, I cancelled due to the walk (even though small). Hubs & I are now staying at the Westin.

Had to pay full price at the westin? ouch.

Spiritmaster on
  • Options
    fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We're only staying the nights of the 11th & 12th, and the Westin still had double rooms (1 bed 2 people) available at PAX prices. So I was very lucky!

fullofgrace on
    I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
  • Options
    VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know if anyone knew of it, but I wanted everyone to have a chance. I posted this on another forum and I thought it'd be good to post it here too.

Let's say you can make it to PAX East, able to purchase the the plane ticket and pass, but the deal breaker is rooming. There is a GREAT place in Boston that's only $35 a night :] It's called Hostel International- Boston.

HI Boston is only 5 minutes from the event, a 2 minute walk from the commuter rail and the famous and hip Newbury St. (my favorite street to walk down in Boston!). It's kept up, free wifi (if you have a laptop), and you meet cool people. I think the coolest thing about it is that you have a kitchen where you can cook for yourself and a fridge where you can store your food (I didn't have problems with someone taking my food). I understand its an event and you may not have the time to cook, McDonalds and Wendys is right down the street, not to mention a convenience store right around the corner.

From personal experience, I'd definitely recommend going there. I absolutely loved it and the fact that everything was just so close, made it a huge plus. The staff was nice and very helpful.

Lastly, this isn't a huge place and beds do fill up. Others from out of state and out of country are trying to grab rooms also, so if you think this is something you want to do, check out the site here and book now! If you find this is something you don't want to do, you can cancel with no fee!

Just a quick run-through:

1. $35 a night
    2. There are co-ed and same sex rooms, with 6 beds (this is at $35 dollar rate, if you want private beds and what not, it costs more.)
    3. Short distance from everything you need (5 minutes from event, 2 minute walk from the commuter rail, short walk from ATM and fast-food restaurants)

Hope that helps anyone!

Victoryoftheppl on
    MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Threads merged!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    QueenMegzQueenMegz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My friend and I booked at the Double Tree Boston Bayside (not the one listed in the poll.) It's a short walk from the T or the hotel said they would shuttle us to public transportation. Seemed like a good deal and I've never had a problem at any other Double Tree's.

QueenMegz on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I haz queztion, we need two rooms to be connecting in the Westin Waterfront. Is it better to ask for connecting rooms when we check-in, or call-in now/1-2 weeks before we arrive?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Westin even have connecting rooms? Typically if they have free rooms they can shift you around when you get there, but during a convention it's highly unlikely they'll be able to shift you around - the earlier the better, but they're probably not going to make any guarantees.

Heleor on
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I haz queztion, we need two rooms to be connecting in the Westin Waterfront. Is it better to ask for connecting rooms when we check-in, or call-in now/1-2 weeks before we arrive?

If they do have those types of rooms, the earlier you ask the better. One caveat though, if you booked through the onPeak reservation thingy, the hotel won't have your information until very shortly before the convention.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just reserved at the Westin Waterfront, anyone know of any nice restauraunts in the area?

FireWater on
  • Options
    shadowshipshadowship Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I booked Candler Hotel down by the Mass Bay highway area.

shadowship on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man guys, I just booked a sweet deal for my friend and I....I was a little selfish and booked it before telling you guys in case they filled up fast, but it looks like they've still got plenty of rooms. Check it out:

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/boston/937945/?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email_top20

NINETY-NINE DOLLARS A NIGHT

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Booked Intercontinental, anyone else staying there or looking to book there (although I think it's sold out). They run a shuttle from when the convention opens til it closes each day. Wish I had booked sooner to get the Westin, but shuttle makes the Intercontinental worth it.

nevermore13 on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    They went live earlier today. You don't need cash on hand to book, right now they just take your card number to hold the room. Deposits aren't pulled until much much closer to pax.

anyone know when this actually happens? i heard february-ish and that is fast approaching. just want to make sure my card doesn't get charged without my knowledge. do they notify you when this is happening?

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    SnakeDrSnakeDr Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    Does anyone have details about the shuttle service? It looks like it is run by PAX not the hotels. Is there a schedule somewhere? Thanks!

-SnakeDr

SnakeDr on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2010
    We have had no information regarding shuttles here on the forum. Try e-mailing pax_questions@paxsite.com, they probably know more than we do.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    PookieMan357PookieMan357 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey folks,
    Feeling extremely late to the party here, but there's going to be 4 of us hitting PAX East 2011 and one of us will be extremely pregnant. We're okay with shuttle service but I was wondering if anyone who went last year or who is local could give us a hint about a decently close decent quality hotel. I know my buddy's gf isn't going to be looking for any more extra walking or discomfort as can be avoided.
    Thanks in advance. :)

PookieMan357 on
  • Options
    jma00a1jma00a1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Im sure most already know this , but Starwood hotels (Westin) has a policy of "overbooking" rooms. So please be sure to call as often as possible to verify reservations. Last year we were moved three miles down the road to a more expensive hotel. For the three nights Starwood paid for one.

jma00a1 on
    "You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young." "Why, what did she tell you?"

"I don't know, I didn't listen."
  • Options
    Got Haggis?Got Haggis? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so if I want a Hotel that is close to nightlife, what is a good one? Hilton Back Bay?

Got Haggis? on
  • Options
    3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am going to be at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel with 9 others (I think). When do we have to make a payment on the hotel? I am trying to coordinate this for all the people coming, and I don't know when I should collect everyone's money. Thanks!

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3ricG wrote: »
    I am going to be at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel with 9 others (I think). When do we have to make a payment on the hotel? I am trying to coordinate this for all the people coming, and I don't know when I should collect everyone's money. Thanks!

Get it beforehand, though typically you'll be charged upon checkout (unless you prepaid for a discount or something). If you grab people's money beforehand, you don't have to deal with "well I spent all my money this weekend, my bad" bullshit that WILL come up.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    schuss wrote: »

Get it beforehand, though typically you'll be charged upon checkout (unless you prepaid for a discount or something). If you grab people's money beforehand, you don't have to deal with "well I spent all my money this weekend, my bad" bullshit that WILL come up.

I was planning on getting the money this weekend. I'm probably going to put the money into my bank account so I can just write a check for the cost of the hotel (that way, I'm not carrying around $1000+). The room is currently being held on someone's credit card (I booked the hotel through OnPeak on the PAX Hotel Page) but they shouldn't be charged anything for the reservation (I think). Is there any other kind of fee that I would need to pay before we check in (I remember someone saying something about February)? I'm probably going to email OnPeak later today and make sure, I just wanted to see if anyone here knew. Thanks again!

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
  • Options
    Got Haggis?Got Haggis? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't think you can write a check for the hotel fee, you will need to pay it with a credit card - they keep the credit card on file in case there are any damages to the room. I've been to a few hotels that do allow you to pay in cash (and i would assume maybe a check) but then they also charge a hefty security deposit ($100-$250) that gets refunded once you return the room in good order.

Got Haggis? on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't think you can write a check for the hotel fee, you will need to pay it with a credit card - they keep the credit card on file in case there are any damages to the room. I've been to a few hotels that do allow you to pay in cash (and i would assume maybe a check) but then they also charge a hefty security deposit ($100-$250) that gets refunded once you return the room in good order.

I think you give them a credit card when you check in, but when you pay (at checkout) you can use cash/check/credit/debit.... i think...

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The entire SFX-360.com crew including myself are going to be crashing at the Westin Waterfront, which is super awesome. I look forward to seeing you all there.

The MKT which is where we're having Gamers gone wild is just 1 mile away from it, so everyone knows.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    EcloopseEcloopse Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I was just wondering for most hotels in the state you have to be 21 to order a hotel but the way I see it if you buy it through the pax website it's basically covered.I am 19 and I was wondering if I am under 21 could I still purchase the hotel.

Ecloopse on
  • Options
    GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ecloopse wrote: »
    I was just wondering for most hotels in the state you have to be 21 to order a hotel but the way I see it if you buy it through the pax website it's basically covered.I am 19 and I was wondering if I am under 21 could I still purchase the hotel.

This came up for me last year. I rang the hotel I was booked in at (Sheraton Boston) in advance, and they said that it was all good as long as I had a letter from my parents/guardians saying I could stay.

That may not be the policy for anywhere else, so it would be best to give who you are staying with a call

Gentlemanne on
  • Options
    EcloopseEcloopse Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Crap, and the one I wanted was the cheapest one

Ecloopse on
  • Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've got 2 rooms at the Westin Waterfront for my buddies and I = D

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    m4hleonm4hleon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Booked at Colonnade Boston with the early bird special of $159 and free internet. Only downside is having to drive to the convention center.

m4hleon on
  • Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Park Plaza, suckaz!

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Park Plaza, suckaz!

I stayed there last year, it was pretty damn nice! I also got a $25/day food credit for some odd reason. I'm staying at the Club Quarters this year because it's closer.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just booked the last Double tree single occupancy room.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If anyone is having trouble finding rooms:
    The Lenox has rooms for $158 if you prepay (no cancellations).
    The Copley Square Hotel has a similar deal if you use promo code TZOO.
    Both are very nice 4-star hotels in historic buildings.

Both would require you to take a cab or the T to the convention center.
    There is a T station around the corner in front of the library.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If someone is going to do the T/cab thing we stayed at the John Hancock last year as it's only $119 per night. It's a bit of a hole though - our room must have been handicap accessible because it had a shower that really looked like an old 70's mens locker room - giant walk-in tiled room that dribbled water on you. It's far from being a 4 star hotel and our room was pushing it to hold 4 people but if you're getting desperate for a cheap room it might be an option...

If you're driving it's a decent option because it's connected to a parking garage and you get a discount on parking as a hotel customer.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    schuss wrote: »

I was planning on getting the money this weekend. I'm probably going to put the money into my bank account so I can just write a check for the cost of the hotel (that way, I'm not carrying around $1000+). The room is currently being held on someone's credit card (I booked the hotel through OnPeak on the PAX Hotel Page) but they shouldn't be charged anything for the reservation (I think). Is there any other kind of fee that I would need to pay before we check in (I remember someone saying something about February)? I'm probably going to email OnPeak later today and make sure, I just wanted to see if anyone here knew. Thanks again!

it looks like, if you booked through onpeak, you can pay their deposit (due february-ish?) by check. this is the cost of one night's stay at your selected hotel plus tax (14.25%). the remainder of your bill will be paid to the hotel at check in, so you'd check with them on forms of payment accepted.

what i'm wondering is, does onpeak send some kind of "we need your money now" announcement? if you are paying by check and don't want your friend's card automatically charged, this is pretty important to know. anyone booked through this system before and know how it works?

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png