As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

• ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm staying at the Back Bay hotel. Hopefully others will be there.

ffaristocrat on
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really really hope we don't get bumped from the Westin Boston Waterfront. I saw on here that some of these places are notorious for overbooking. If I get bumped, I'm going to be sooooo pissed as I specifically chose this hotel because it was attached to the convention center. And there's a Starbucks. ;) When do we find out the room situation?

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • ThatGuyGregThatGuyGreg [E] - Satellite Theater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    One more for the Hilton Back Bay... I can deal with the PAX shuttle and the occasional cab, but the call of the HHonors points cannot be overcome.

ThatGuyGreg on
    I00SuxJ.png
  • thorshaukthorshauk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My friends and I booked at the Park Plaza - it looks nice. We're bringing consoles, and board games if anyone wants to anyone else who is going to be there =D

thorshauk on
  • CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My friends and I are staying at the Intercontinental - anyone else there? We'll be bringing our DSs and a small selection of board games most likely - we're definitely up for some late night gaming around the hotel.

Cloudwalker on
    Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • cfbunnycfbunny Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Hey People!

Is anyone else being a cheap $%!# and staying at 40 berkeley? I know it's not an official hotel, heck it's not even a hotel it's a hostel, but its only 2 miles from the event. I wasted a ton of cash on a decent hotel last year and was never in the room, so this year I'm being cheap and hitting the Berkeley. Anybody else?

cfbunny on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My friends and I are staying at the Intercontinental - anyone else there? We'll be bringing our DSs and a small selection of board games most likely - we're definitely up for some late night gaming around the hotel.

Intercontinental here too.

you know its bad enough not being the only Scotsman at PAX, now i'm not even the only one in the hotel! :( and i thought i was special.:cry:

Wraith260 on
  • bustin98bustin98 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mid town here. Looks like I'm not the only one, wonder if it will fill up more closer to time. Any one have opinions on the place?

bustin98 on
    Xbox Live, PSN, Twitter: bustin98
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Krissta wrote: »
    I really really hope we don't get bumped from the Westin Boston Waterfront. I saw on here that some of these places are notorious for overbooking. If I get bumped, I'm going to be sooooo pissed as I specifically chose this hotel because it was attached to the convention center. And there's a Starbucks. ;) When do we find out the room situation?

i would also be pretty pissed. if i wanted to make a trek to the con, i'd just stay at my house. the entire reason i'm getting a hotel is to stay in a place adjacent to the convention center so i don't have to worry about trains or taxis or whatever (i plan on being too drunk to navigate my way anywhere but down a hallway). it's the waterfront or nothing for me, so yeah, getting bumped would suck.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cfbunny wrote: »
    Hey People!

Is anyone else being a cheap $%!# and staying at 40 berkeley? I know it's not an official hotel, heck it's not even a hotel it's a hostel, but its only 2 miles from the event. I wasted a ton of cash on a decent hotel last year and was never in the room, so this year I'm being cheap and hitting the Berkeley. Anybody else?

i looked at that one but the shared bathroom put me off. the negative reviews do make it sound almost perfect for a convention hotel though, loud music and people coming and going at all hours. plus it has a pool table..... after party at 40 berkeley anyone?

RevGutter on
  • hsofpn666hsofpn666 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i also will be at the midtown i thought i was the only one

hsofpn666 on
  • LarghterLarghter Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I'm staying at the Comfort Inn in Revere. Free shuttle service to the airport!

Larghter on
    edited February 2011
    tvethiopia wrote: »

i would also be pretty pissed. if i wanted to make a trek to the con, i'd just stay at my house. the entire reason i'm getting a hotel is to stay in a place adjacent to the convention center so i don't have to worry about trains or taxis or whatever (i plan on being too drunk to navigate my way anywhere but down a hallway). it's the waterfront or nothing for me, so yeah, getting bumped would suck.

Yup. :(

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had to change my hotel from the Westin to the Wyndham Boston Chelsea. I'd rather go to PAX in a different hotel then not at all. I just got a job with Wyndham so I really couldn't pass up the rate (Hotel, parking and gas a still cheaper than my stay at the Westin). Anyone staying there?

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• HostileParadoxHostileParadox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Harbor on Tudor Wharf

Wow, that's a mouthful to say. Got as sweet deal on it.
    I love free breakfast... since it often turns into free lunch if I take enough with me ^_^

HostileParadox on
  • klzklz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The MidTown is ok, but nothing to write home about considering the costs. There is no real handicapped accessibility (to get to the elevator required walking up some stairs, if I remember correctly) and the rooms were okay. Service was kind of lousy, though.

My roommate tried to sign in and was denied, but when I came in and we went later on, they told me to my face that I had faxed in a cancellation (while I was on the way in???) and we ended up with a single bed instead of two beds, but they could easily have run out of room while I thought we had our reservation locked in still. Hope it's just a bad impression, but I can't say I have high hopes of that. At least it was kind of clean and a place to sleep, but just really expensive for that.

klz on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For people still looking for rooms, I would check out any hotels along the Red Line. It starts add them end of Cambridge/Arlington and runs straight through Cambridge before hitting downtown Boston and South Station. You can take an underground bus two stops or walk to the expo center from there.

The ride through Cambridge goes through Harvard Square and Kendel. The stop at kendell is actually In a hotel's courtyard.

The ride from kendel to the center is maybe 30min and I'm being generous.

Just letting people know because downtown Boston or the Fenway are is further away and more expensive.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is a map from the Park Plaza Hotel & Towers. Is that too far to walk? I don't know where the pokecrawl is going on. Hopefully near-ish there. On the PAX site, it has the shuttle symbol next to it, so obviously there is gonna be a shuttle.

Anyone have any info on that place? When my friend gets back to me, I am gonna reserve a room there. I am hoping they let us store our shit there on Sunday while we are at the convention. I used to work at a hotel and it was never really a problem.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wraith260 wrote: »

you know its bad enough not being the only Scotsman at PAX, now i'm not even the only one in the hotel! :( and i thought i was special.:cry:

Hah, sorry to disappoint. Are you doing the Pokecrawl? If so I'll get you a drink - Glasgow solidarity!

Cloudwalker on
    Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Hah, sorry to disappoint. Are you doing the Pokecrawl? If so I'll get you a drink - Glasgow solidarity!

i'm tempted, i really am but the idea of heading into PAX hungover kinda puts me off.

that and i do tend over indulge and make a complete arse of myself. :? not a great first impression. still tempting though...

Wraith260 on
  • HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm a bit annoyed that the Seaport is either out of 3 person rooms or just didn't come up in my search. Hmmm. Well I already registered at the Boston Back Bay - I might TRY to change that, but it was one of the cheapest/closest according to the portal when I looked.

Holyyakker on
    "Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Stayin' at the Holiday Inn Boston Brookline - it's really affordable when you split a double with three other people! AND it's right off a red line stop, so trainin' it in from Alewife will be a breeze.

Anyone know what times the shuttles run to and from the con?

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Stayin' at the Holiday Inn Boston Brookline - it's really affordable when you split a double with three other people! AND it's right off a red line stop, so trainin' it in from Alewife will be a breeze.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn last year, it's really nice. The train is right outside the front door. Very convienient.

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

If you're staying at the Holiday Inn on Beacon St., you're right next to Coolidge Corner which is a really fun area with a lot of great restaurants and shops, but you are not next to the Red Line or Alewife. You are, however, right on the C line branch of the Green Line, which is not as fast as the D line but is exponentially faster than the B line. It'll take you 20-30 minutes to get to Park St station, then you can hop on the Red Line for two quick stops to South Station, and then it's a short walk from there to the convention center.

wonderpug on
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »

If you're staying at the Holiday Inn on Beacon St., you're right next to Coolidge Corner which is a really fun area with a lot of great restaurants and shops, but you are not next to the Red Line or Alewife. You are, however, right on the C line branch of the Green Line, which is not as fast as the D line but is exponentially faster than the B line. It'll take you 20-30 minutes to get to Park St station, then you can hop on the Red Line for two quick stops to South Station, and then it's a short walk from there to the convention center.

There are two Holiday Inns in that area - the one you're thinking of is closer to the con, but yeah, isn't near the Red Line. The one that PAX worked with to book hotel stay is a little further away, but across the street from a T stop. I was confused at first too, but the Brookline one actually works out better for our group.

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
    edited February 2011
    I'm confused. You're staying at a different Brookline Holiday Inn? The Red Line doesn't go to the city of Brookline at all. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Beacon Hill Holiday Inn?

wonderpug on
  • lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Djnardu wrote: »
    Anybody staying at Club Quarters?

Ever stay there before? I plan on walking to the convention as its only a 15-20 min walk and hope the hotel turns out well.

Anybody have an idea how parking works? Do you park then go to hotel or go to hotel first check in and then get a parking voucher?

Also I plan on trying to get 5 people in my four person suite, shouldnt be a problem I hope =P.

Let me know who's staying, there is a bar/pub connected right to the hotel, would be awesome to meet up.

Not staying there, but I always recommend it to visitors coming into town. I'd say it's more of a 25min walk to the BCEC, but it's a very nice hotel. Corporate hotel, can only be booked if your company is a member or through some websites. There are a couple of good places for breakfast around, and the pub downstairs has a more than decent dinner.

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    anyone know when the hotels get the PAX reservation information? Im guessing i should wait another week or so for it to appear but im not certain

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Probably sometime soon. We're 4 weeks out now. I'd expect something like 3 or 2 weeks out.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    edited February 2011
    Just made my reservation for the PARK PLAZA HOTEL & TOWERS.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • emf715emf715 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone else at the Boston Harbor Hotel? I'm feeling left out...

emf715 on
    edited February 2011
    I don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere, but a number of the hotels listed are on the water taxi route and there are stops near the convention center as well. They're supposed to be covered by a tarp and heated, so it could be a fun Bostony experience for some of you out-of-towners.

wonderpug on
    edited February 2011
    contrefait wrote: »
    Probably sometime soon. We're 4 weeks out now. I'd expect something like 3 or 2 weeks out.

I really hope it's soon. I, being the OCD planner I am, am somewhat freaking out at the thought of being bumped. Until I get the e-mail, nothing is set in stone. :(

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited February 2011
    i am also freaking out. starting to wish i had just booked directly through the hotel. don't know if a discount is worth the stress of waiting months for confirmation.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited February 2011
    i am also freaking out. starting to wish i had just booked directly through the hotel. don't know if a discount is worth the stress of waiting months for confirmation.

:(

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Let us all pace back and forth quickly, muttering and wringing our hands in sudden bursts of doubt/panic, together.

That's how everyone is handling this, right?

Right?

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    edited February 2011
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Let us all pace back and forth quickly, muttering and wringing our hands in sudden bursts of doubt/panic, together.

That's how everyone is handling this, right?

Right?

RIGHT.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited February 2011
    I am confused. Is the email I got from the PAX folks with all the hotel information NOT a confirmation? I even changed my check out from that Sunday to Monday and got another confirmation.

edit: Title of the email is CONFIRMATION. Haha. If that isn't one, I don't know what is.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I am confused. Is the email I got from the PAX folks with all the hotel information NOT a confirmation? I even changed my check out from that Sunday to Monday and got another confirmation.

edit: Title of the email is CONFIRMATION. Haha. If that isn't one, I don't know what is.

There does seem to be some confusion about all this. Here's how I understand it.

The PAX people call the various hotels and say "We would like <some number> of rooms for our convention. The hotel says "OK" and blocks out that many rooms as having been set aside for PAX.

PAX then goes on to sell reservations to those set-aside rooms. The CONFIRMATION you get from PAX is what that's all about. You a confirmed to have one of those rooms and the hotel has those rooms reserved. But right now the hotel has no idea who YOU are. If you call the hotel and ask about your room, they won't know you.

Closer to the expo, PAX will send all the reservation info it has to the hotels and they will match up names with actual rooms. At that point you could call the hotel and ask about your reservation and they'd be able to tell you.

Trion on
  • TuftTuft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

The fear is that, like airlines, these hotels may overbook their rooms - which is fine considering often times people cancel reservations / don't show. However its possible that the hotel will overbook, and again like airlines, have everyone show up and have to say "sorry, our bad, no room for you" and leave you out on your ass.

I'd assume that they have a contract with OnPeak to prevent that sort of thing but until you get confirmation from the hotel that there is a room under your name, its impossible to say. Though at this point I'd have to assume if your booking gets bumped OnPeak could be held responsible? Not 100% on those legalities.

Regardless the worst part of being bumped would be not being able to stay at the Westin, adjacent to the convention center - even if you get compensation / set up somewhere else.

This thread isn't helping me feel any better about my reservation >.< /commencewringingofhands

Tuft on